Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Howard Phillips posted:

Whats the most important quality in looking for a wife?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NF5XU-k2Vk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Sky dick pilot was not a lady, but you could have been thrown off by his call sign: "Tess". Cmdr Stickles is all man.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Hello Navy goons.

My son (in the navy) is assigned to shore duty. He recently was temporarily assigned to a ship for an exercise or training or something (45 days). He's just found out that they're considering deploying him on the same ship (7 months). He'd like to know if there's any way to decline this gracefully. My gut (I was in the Air Force) tells me that he's boned.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
This would be his first deployment. He's been in for less than 2 years,

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

The Valley Stared posted:

Tell him to make sure he's got his favorite games/books/hard drive filled with movies ready to go then. If he's really motivated and he does end up going, he can get his ESWS pin while on the ship. If is a ship with an air detachment and they allow it, maybe even his wings.

Hopefully people help him out and get him ready, but it's the Navy. Semper Gumby.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I passed this one on specifically.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

MancXVI posted:

Davethulu: what’s his rate? Is he stationed at an FRC and going to a carrier to work somewhere in AIMD?

He's IT, and currently assigned to Bremerton. I don't know if he's at an FRC. He's currently TAD to the Stennis for 45 days. The prospective assignment will also be the Stennis, which will be relocating to the east coast during that time.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Hello Navy thread.

My son (currently deployed on the Stennis) has a question for y'all.

"Can you ask in the SA military thread about the commands, CSG5 (carrier strike group 5) in Japan, & USS Iwo Jima? Can you just ask what to expect as an IT3, daily life, and the command climate? "

Any info is welcome.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Wait how are you a deployed IT3 and up for orders

It's not me, it's my son (I also served, but not in the navy).

His current assignment is Bremerton, however, he's currently (deployed?, temporarily assigned?) to the Stennis while it's rebasing, for 7 months.

Here's his explanation:

"Also, if you are confused how orders work, there are 3 looks. Each look you are given 5 choices. 3 choices of mine have been taken, and the only 2 im waiting on to see if I get selected or not is CSG5 or Iwo Jima. If I don't get selected for any of these orders, then I have 2 remaining looks. There are a lot of different factors of how you get selected."

The air force didn't do anything like this when I was in, so all I can do is pass on what info I have.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your input and advice.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
My son has asked me to relay a few more questions:

As an IT, what would his work likely be in a Seabees unit (my guess was removing viruses from their PCs).

The other one is a little more complicated, I'll quote:

"For example, there are 2 billets open for the Mount Whitney. There are 5 selections I can pick total. So if I choose the Mount Whitney twice, I'm not sure if that will help or go against my odds in picking that ship."

Thanks again in advance.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Happy new year Navy goons. I bring another question from my son. He'd be asking these himself, but he's currently somewhere in the Arabian sea.

"Can you ask SA/reddit about IT's going to C-school with the NEC code: 738A . I been hearing it's a trap for ITs, as in its an undermanned NEC and they only go to places that require that NEC and can't really go anywhere else."

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Hello again navy goons, one more request from my son, asking for "command climate, like how the crew likes the command" for the following:

CG 57
CG 62
NMCB 133

Thanks again in advance.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
I have one final question to pass on from my remotely deployed son. He just found out his next assignment will be to the USS Blue Ridge, and would like to know if anyone has any stories or impressions. His rate is IT, and he says he'll be going to sysadmin and *whatever the ship intranet is called* training first.

Thanks again

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Davethulhu posted:

I have one final question to pass on from my remotely deployed son.

Apparently I'm a big liar, one more, though this one is pretty specific:

"I just got orders to a ship that requires the NEC H09A (CANES). According to the research that I was doing, H09A requires 746A (sysadmin). Well, I don't have 746A. So does that mean I'll be doing 746A & CANES before I go to my next ship?"

Again, he's an IT rate.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/ncis-us-navy-birthday-russian-warship/

It keeps happening.