Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
On my last ship the captain loved watermelon, so Supply ordered some to get picked up during our BSF in the Azores. What they thought was 80 watermelons turned out to be 80 "units" of watermelon which was not discovered until the flatbed truck full of them pulled up to the pier.

We had watermelon breakfast, lunch, and dinner for months. Eventually they started cutting them up to garnish every table onboard for meals too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Fleet and Family also has counselors available that are confidential to help, plus if your stress is related to other, non-Navy, life issues they're in the same office as the folks who help you get that stuff straightened out too.

Also, from the perspective of a sitting CO, let me tell you that I want you, and every one who needs it, to come forward and get the help that you need. You trying to "power through it" is not just dangerous for you, but it can be dangerous to everyone onboard depending on what your responsibilities are. Provided that your prognosis is good from your medical evaluations you getting help shouldn't impact your career in the slightest. Obviously if you have some pernicious and deep seated mental health issues it may require an early roll ashore or something just like any other medical condition which may have some career implications but it's still much, much preferable to the alternative of you hurting yourself.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Howard Phillips posted:

Applied to two. Was limited due to being on deployment. Got rejected from one and waiting for the other.

Already dropped papers, so if I decide to go to shore duty I will have to do the dance and beg to remove resignation papers. Little embarrassing.

Unless you're 100% certain you're going to get picked up for the second program you are crazy for not taking some bull poo poo shore duty and using it as an extra 12-18 months of paid grad school application time. Not only should you take the shore duty, but you should do it at a fleet concentration area so you can take the NWC Fleet Seminar program and get your JPME done so in case you have to do the terminal pull up, and sign the blood money for some reason, you're not too far behind for the O-4 board.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 23, 2017

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Blackchamber posted:

After I transferred to my next command they got my info and wouldn't let me carry a swiss army knife. I had to train to be able to deploy with the marines in a 'nonpermissable environment' and I was the only one allowed to forgo the 9mm and m4 qual portion. I laugh about it now though, but at the time you cant help feeling embarrassed.

I mean, I don't know your specific circumstances, but I don't think that's all that alarming or surprising. I have gun cards in my desk drawer right now for Sailors who have had issues which I feel make them a risk for self harm, and I would rather they not have access to the most efficient tools with which to inflict it. That said, I've also returned gun cards to folks who have sought help and treatment and are in a healthier place. It all depends on the situation.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

ManMyth are you the highest O that burns time in here? Is this a useful tool or primarily fun(present issue aside).
I really like how many people stepped forward with good advice. I hope it helps you Anita.

I'm pretty sure that Stultus Maximus is senior to me.

It's primarily for fun, I've had this account since I was a midshipman and followed SomethingAwful for fun shenanigans. That's not to say that I haven't used GiP as a source of information from time to time, but mostly SA is for me to shitpost about tabletop gaming these days.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Anita Dickinme posted:

Yeah, I don't want to attempt it anymore but I actually kind of enjoy my gun toting job, so I don't want to lose that and go to lagging crew or some poo poo.

:unsmith:

I still think you need to go talk to someone. If you're not really thinking about self harm anymore, but are still worried about your command pulling your gun cards then go to the chapel and talk to the RP's about the different chaplains that work there. They're bound to give you a good idea about which one fits your particular taste on the religious to secular scale, and then set up an appointment. Chaplains have mandated confidentiality, they're not allow to "rat you out" even if they wanted to and going to one not affiliated with your command makes it that much more unlikely, but will still let you talk things out and get on the road to getting healthier.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I sneak off with one of our Lt Cmdrs and play Warmachine and DnD sometimes. We have public board game days where it's mostly civilians and enlisted scum and then I schedule another day so he can get together with me and my civilian friends without worrying about someone on the ship crying about who he is spending time with.

Yeah, some of my guys found out I play Magic and got all excited so now guys come up to me from time to time to talk about decks and card evaluations and stuff. One actually approached me about setting up a draft tournament for the crew because we have a lot of people who play, or are interested, for such a small ship. I gave him the thumbs up and also the go ahead to approach the MWR committee to to see if they'll pitch in some money.

Meanwhile, I actually got WOTC to donate a whole bunch of packs to the ship so it will end up being pretty much free for everyone, but don't say anything because I'm trying to surprise them. :ssh:

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 23, 2017

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

While we're talking about downers I just had one of my sailors try to commit suicide last night.

Get help sea ghosts.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

piL posted:

I completely wasted my first tour :eng99:

Hahaha.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Boon posted:

Yeah, I probably should have posted with more context - the video I have (same one) has much better audio but I'm not uploading it to the internet.

That said, we were in the SAG and our initial course (about 010) had us heading towards Iran with an oil field to our port beam. The CO was with the conning officer and I was managing the bridge. After we cleared the oil field we began to come around 5 degrees at a time until we were heading about 290 - the helm called out steady on course, rudder amidships, I verified it on the instruments up front, and proceeded to call down to aft steering to coordinate a shift of control for training purposes.

As I was on the phone (CG - XO's phone on the port side of the pilot house) I glanced out the window at the P&D line which was sitting at about 260. Puzzled, I looked at our bows which looked like a V, then slammed the phone down and ran out to the bridge wing, caught the CO's eye on the fly bridge, saw that he knew, and then I screamed down to drop the P&D line. We got out to about 340 or so on the bow before we began to straighten and correct.

Now, here's the thing. The oiler? It's never wrong. Is it wrong? No - you're wrong - correct to it. And so we did. We had previously steadied on 290, but the oiler was closer to 275 or so, and so we began to come around. The only problem is that the oiler then started to come back to the original communicated course of 290. Before we knew it I was looking at their hull numbers through our bullnose. I'm a bit dissapointed in myself that I didn't immediately recommend an emergency breakaway, instead pausing to assess. I arrived at hte conclusion, but as I did the XO was already running past me to blow the signals. I'm still ashamed about that.

Anyway, emergency breakaway now in full effect, we managed to level out but we have two lines over including amidships and we're probably at around 100-120 feet. That's where the video starts up. It was shot by the air crew who obviously had no loving clue what was going on until the word started to get passed over the 1MC.

Initially there was a bit of chaos as we kind of looked at each other in a shared "oh gently caress" then snapped out of it and began preparing for collision. Reports from our aft fueling station gave us updates, they were the first line to clear. I got on the 1MC and ordered the weatherdecks cleared on the port side. What I didn't know, was that our team on the midships kingpost ran off without clearing the line. A BMSN grabbed a SN and a BM3 and ran out and cleared it themselves (BMSN got a COM and other two got NAMs - those dudes were loving awesome). Once we got the word that the midships line was cleared the CO (who never took the conn) ordered flank 3 (you can hear the engines whine up in the video). At this point there wasn't much left to do in the pilothouse but wait. As we were sucked closer in I sounded the collision alarm; you can hear it on the video chirp twice - that's because I hit it and released thinking it would sound but as soon as I released it stopped, so I confusedly hit it again but it didn't go without holding so I gave up on it and passed a 'brace for impact'. As we pulled forward we were mostly out of danger (though I didn't realize it from my vantage). I walked out to lean against the rail thinking how my name was on that deck log, how I was totally hosed, and I was just waiting for the collision. The CO issued a slough of orders to the rudder both ways and we veered across the bow.

A brief moment of panic as we crossed the bow elicited a followup 'brace for impact' that was late and also unnecessary but at that point who the gently caress cares. We cleared the oiler, I walked back in, past some word, and called for reports from all stations. The CICWO ran up sometime around here, was hysterical, and my Helm Safety Officer kicked him out the door. Then the CO walked in, asked for station reports, looked me dead in the eyes, drew a breath and said, "Ok OOD, let's get ready to come back around, we still got oil and ice cream to pick up."

That dude was one cool loving cat and the best ship handler I'd ever met.

We found out much later that on the final segment of our turn the oiler suffered a rudder casualty which caused them to continue over to ~275. I still get chills watching the video and I got chills writing that up. At the time I was pretty 'young' OOD still, far from getting my pin, and I was just glad I didn't completely poo poo myself. I should note that not only did that BMSN and BM3/SN get an award, but so did the under instruction master helm - who was given her master helmsman qualification that night.

E: I had to edit the order of events a bit - a lot of the actions, events, and feelings are vivid, but the exact order that they happened were a bit out of order - watching the video again helped bring it back.

:yarr:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah I never got all the CT jobs. I know there's three? Two are of IT variants and one is linguistics?

CTN: l337 haxors
CTI: Interpreters
CTT: Used to be EW's. They're responsible for shipboard electronic warfare gear.
CTM: Basically ET's with TS/SCI. They repair gear and sometimes operate SSES stuff.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 27, 2017

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Laranzu posted:

Forgot CTR. Communications signals

gently caress, I knew I was forgetting one.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

DownByTheWooter posted:

CTA is now just a YN with SCI

It never wasn't.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Howard Phillips posted:

33 days left until terminal, can't wait to join the ranks of you godless bastards.

Anyone got recommendations for good restaurants, beaches, and strip clubs in Mayport/Jax area? Will be TAD there for two weeks.

Are you going to have a car and how far are you willing to drive?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Howard Phillips posted:

Will have car. 45min is doable I think.

Close to Mayport:
Singleton's: A hole in the wall seafood shack. Great fried seafood and a lunch time staple for the Mayport Mafia. It's out the back gate of the base behind the airfield.

North Beach Fish Camp: Southern inspired seafood. Make sure you try their fried green tomatoes.

M Shack: Amazing burgers and shakes. There are a few locations but the original is near Mayport on Atlantic BLVD. Some locations sell liquor infused milk shakes.

Beach Diner: Great diner for breakfast, especially if you're heading to the beach in the morning.

A little further:
Soul Food Bistro: Soul food, I don't think I need to say anything else. Don't go in the time after church services.

Beach Road Chicken Dinner: One of my favorite places. Specializes in fried chicken and serves southern sides, family style. Make sure you go with other people. It's a lot of food.

Into Jacksonville proper:
Lola's: Go here. Order the Leaping Lizard burrito. You're welcome.

Hawker's: Souped up Vietnamese street food. It's really good, but maybe a touch pricy.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 15, 2017

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Thronde posted:

Dude thanks, we just moved here and actually live near Lolas, I haven't tried it yet. Good to know some good spots.

That's a nice area. There are a few nice bars near Lola's as well.

Figure out when the next free weekend at the Cummer Art Museum is and eat a burrito, visit the museum gardens, and stop by the Riverside art walk.

Also, make sure you check the schedule for Sun Ray Cinema. It's an independent theater in Five Points that sells food and beer for their shows. They generally run cool events around holidays.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Thronde posted:

The LPDs when I was on 18 were reason for a large part of sailors separating. It may have gotten better since.

Also, thanks a million to ManMythLegend for his Lola's recommendation. This place is amazing. Didn't feel adventurous enough for the leaping lizard but yeah shits good.

:hfive:

Also, with respect to SAN ANTONIOs, personally I really hate the class and think they're sort of a dumpster fire but they have improved dramatically in the last few years. Depending on your rate it may not be all that bad. God help you if you're an engineer, ICman, or IT though.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Also since we're talking orders chat I just got a verbal to head to Fort Meade. Time for me to be officially stationed at Navy Nerd HQ.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Triple post, but gently caress it.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yoooo I would have loved these

You are forgetting about God's one, true, Navy jogging suit:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Ron Jeremy posted:

These were terrible in every single way.

I know. I still fondly wear mine at Army-Navy parties along with my blue rims. :allears:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Sir Lucius posted:

Wait, are you even an intel guy? I thought you flew destroyers or something.

Nope. Time to get joint as gently caress.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

piL posted:

What should I do in Pattaya for the full Navy experience?

Get the clap and a terrible tattoo that breaks regs.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

The Valley Stared posted:

So, I was on the collision yesterday. I am the FITZ DCA. I'll put that out there now for everyone. I don't care.

The collision happened around 0130. I remember looking at my watch when I felt the ship do a strange maneuver. It woke me up.

I know that basic damage control saved my ship yesterday. We battled to keep her stable for 19 hours. The first 8 were the worst and fastest of my life.

If you guys have questions, I will answer what I can within the guidelines I have.

I have a ton, but I won't ask them.

What I will say though is that if you haven't started to make a detailed written account of what happened, you need to stop what you're doing and start that right now.

The lessons learned will be invaluable down the road.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Zeris posted:

I don't know anything about naval OPSEC so can someone confirm everything needing to be redacted has been?

Looks ok to me.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

As a prior DCA, I'll tell you again, you and your Sailors have done the DC mafia proud.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Gecnan posted:

So all the casualties were from combat systems or admin.
That was berthing 1 on my DDG. Friend of mine said this is why Combat berthings are becoming a thing.

Yeah, I mean this is the case for distributed berthing on ships.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

E: On second thought, removed.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 20, 2017

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

Is this a publicly released picture or did you get it from some inside baseball?

I have inside baseball information, but that is not part of it no.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I took it down just to be safe, though I'm sure it will make the rounds eventually.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Suicide Watch posted:

When will they standardize turbine engines so aircraft carriers can also have engine parts for DDGs?

This is kinda dumb given the requirements of marine and aviation turbines, but it would be really nice if AIMD on the large decks would stop loving pretending that LM-2500's are strange, alien technology that are impossible for them to help work on.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

So random question:

Whenever this sort of thing happens the captain is always immediately relieved, correct? I mean I get it, they need to investigate and such. Does the XO take over?

If it's found that whatever the incident was, not just ramming another ship, was not the fault of anyone on the Naval ship, does the Captain get his job back?

The CO was already relieved by the XO during the incident since he was incapacitated.

Also, it's hypothetically possible to get in a collision and not get fired but it's incredibly rare. For example, the CO of the USS SAN JACINTO was not relieved after they ran into the USS MONTPELIER. I mean in that case the sub surfaced right in front of the cruiser so there really wasn't anything that SanJac could do, but there is more thought put into then a simple "crashed->fired".

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Anita Dickinme posted:

Also I feel like since it was 1:00 in the morning and he was asleep there's really no justifying him being relieved if he wasn't injured. But y'know, Navy.

It's more complicated then that. All of the watchstanders draw their authority from him. Basically he's vouching for their professional competency. It's the captain's responsibly to ensure that they are carrying out their duties properly. Thus, if it turns out that the collision is a result of improperly trained or performing watchstanders then ultimately it is the captain's fault.

I got to live this dream a few months ago. I was in the verge of being fired for a few of my sailors going off and doing something completely stupid. I was no where near the incident, and if I was I know it wouldn't have happened, but I was still held accountable because I was not intrusive enough with them to really know they knew what they were doing. It's part of the job. The whole thing falls apart if it isn't.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

Did Mr. nice get his old avatar back? I really do associate avatars as 'facual equivalents' at this point and it's mentally headache inducing to accept changes.

So it's time for me to switch back to Archer then?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

do they still have the non-command career path poo poo they kept talking about back when I was a JO so that guys that would be terminal O4s can just go become like a permanent strike guy or something and still promote but never command?

Yeah, theoretically, but not in the way you are probably talking about. Once you've failed to screen for your next milestone and are non-due course you can track yourself all you want as long as you follow your new sea/shore rotation.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

That program has already run it's course. They killed it earlier this year after a decade of poor management that led to stagnating promotion rates for all of the SCP communities.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Zeris posted:

Like, because of the accident?

No. The Navy pays SWO O3's $75k+ dollars to agree to do two department head tours on a ship.

Edit: It's called "Blood Money" colloquially because being a department head sucks pretty badly.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

If I remember right our esteemed senior ranking naval officer said this of being a department head "there are two things I hate: ships and sailors"

It was actually: "A succinct list of things I hate: ships and sailors."

I have since lightened my opinion on one of those things.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

I probably would have because i'm a moron and loved driving ships.

Then you would have hated being a department head.

That said, I actually really enjoyed standing TAO. It was one of the very few things about the job I enjoyed.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

piL posted:

Doesn't surprise me. I've been told I need to work on EOOW before TAO. I don't think they understand my priorities.

Edit:
But Re: any career advice; I'm a DH-selected O-2. It's a full six years before anybody looks at whether I'm one of the elite 80 percent that makes LCDR and about five years until I'm looked at for Early Command. I need to remember to tell people to gently caress off with advice that might improve my FITREP and stick to my guns of doing what is right, doing what I want, and doing it well.

While I agree with most of the sentiment in your post, if you are even remotely interested in Early Command then you 100% need to get your EOOW now while you're a DIVO before you spend time qualing TAO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

piL posted:

I left my first tour feeling empowered and capable of making real change and that I had the tools available to do good things, but LCS has convinced me that none of that is true, and that the whole structure is structured to generate apathy, neuter initiative, and twist the ethics of its participants.

Yep, this checks out. It's good to see the LCS program hasn't changed.

That all said, your initial point about keeping your options open is true. You may hate everything second of it, but your options are exponentially better if you have it before you finish your DIVO tours. Unless you are like 110% convinced you are getting out you should be spending your time on it just in case. You'd be surprised how quickly plans change during your shore tour.