Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Elendil004 posted:

What about Newport News?

I have no opinion as I've never been there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I didn't realize that TM came back. Weird.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

orange juche posted:

Aren't Zebra doors supposed to be open except in cases of setting material condition Zebra/GQ? Zebra doors are doors normally kept open in order to facilitate normal traffic of personnel and materials. I'd be mighty loving pissed if someone dogged all the zebra doors on the main deck and we weren't at GQ.

Your command is loving stupid.

Wibla posted:

Navy posted:

X-ray is set when the ship is in almost no danger of attack or natural hazards. All doors labeled with a black X should remain closed when not in use. Yoke is set at sea, when entering or leaving port, and in port. All doors labeled with a black X or black Y should remain closed when not in use. Material condition Zebra is set during general quarters, ship-wide casualties, when entering and leaving port during wartime, or anytime the ship is in danger against fire, flooding and other damage. All doors labeled with a black X, black Y, or red Z should remain closed. Fittings labeled with a red letter Z enclosed by a black letter D, are classified as Dog Zebra and should remain closed during times of darken ship as well as for material condition Zebra.

There is also a material condition "Modified Zebra" that came into vogue shortly after COLE because we might be attacked at any moment don't ya know?

Basically it's closing a bunch of structural fittings, especially larger hatches, in order to make setting actual Zebra faster in an emergency. The Mod Z list is generally determined by the individual command and can vary from ship to ship.

Now adays it's normal to set Mod Z any time you're underway, or in port at elevated FPCON. Without knowing what ship the OP is talking about it's possible that people are blowing through Mod Z doors and the command has done a lovely job of communicating that to the crew.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Wibla posted:

Doesn't Mod Z have a different marking? I've been out for way longer than I was in at this point, my memory on this is fuzzy to say the least :v:

No. It's just Z.

You're probably thinking of Dog Zebra for the darken ship fittings which do have a different marking: a Z in D.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Any skipper that wouldn't taste the water themselves isn't fit to wear the star on their chest.

Pretty much.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Lotta water testing chat in this thread because a carrier loving sucks again. Figured I'd chime in to baseline the discussion:

For those wondering, yes water on a (surface) ship is routinely tested.

Water off ROs and evaps is tested coming out the discharge of the system, in line, for salinity. Precise conductivity to be considered safe depends on the specific system for the ship. After that most ships have an inline brominator before filling a potable water tank.

Potable water tanks are tested for free bromine prior to be placed on suction with the assumption being made today if free bromine is high enough, then there shouldn't be bacterial contamination.

Weekly, medical samples the ice machines and a selection of potable water sources for various bacterial contamination such as e. coli.

Most ships don't have any quantitative method of testing for things like fuel contamination, mostly because that's actually pretty hard to do. That's really down qualitative measures like smell, taste, and sight.

If a ship is having a legitimate e. coli outbreak in their potable water system then loving lol. It implies that there are multiple, systemic, failures across multiple departments. Lol at people who think carrier life is better.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Apologies for typos and not being EOOW board ready in that post. I just got back inport and I'm more than very tipsy right now.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Dude rules.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

Another fine example of the competence, professionalism, and training of the World's Finest Surface Navy

https://twitter.com/SanDiegoWebCam/status/1597661110693265408

Jfc

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Cerekk posted:

They're both following a center-channel track and the navigation part of the piloting team didn't talk to the contact management part of the piloting team before they turned onto that leg.

At that point they're in Rule 14 but they want to make starboard-to-starboard arrangements because they're offset that direction already, and neither one wants to cut across the other's bow or make a larger turn than necessary in a constrained channel. Then put LTJG Dumbshit on the bridge-to-bridge for half a mile to try to arrange it, and there you are.

Alternative hilarious option: they couldn't agree on passing arrangements because one ship was set up for passing honors to port, and the other was set up for passing honors to starboard

I'm not familiar with exactly what happened, but my gut tells me that HFY was conducting a harbor nav drill package and lost track of the fact that they were set down on the reds.

MOM was most likely watching from afar but assumed HFY was going to recover and head back to the outbound side and didn't realize that was a bad assumption (because of mixture of HFY incompetence and poor maneuverability of LSDs) until too late.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

They actually care about training aviators.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

Also yeah fending off sexual assault and theft of my uniform parts.

I know that it's fun to poo poo on Crab Dad's charmed career, but this is no joke.

Over my my commissioned and midshipman career I've been assaulted three times during fleet week type engagements. Like full on groped and fondled by men and women. It loving sucks.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

That and the fact it didn’t warrant a probation. A simple post of don’t do that would have been perfectly fine.

I guess it’s easier to press a button though :shrug:

It's super cool and good that we all seem to be more worried about the honor and dignity of a Something Awful poster IYOOL 2023 instead of recognizing that jokes like that are a huge part of the reason men don't report sexual assault.

But sure, go off king.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I actually interacted with Grover once on SIPR (:lol:). I don't even remember why now other than it was engineering related when I was working on my Master's.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Jimmy4400nav posted:

All this watch talks reminds me that its pretty lucky P-8 on side, most of the watches for the sailors are usually pretty consistent 8 hour ASDO or duty driver shifts and if its a slow day guys can go back to their shop to knock out stuff (to talk with their buddies or hit the smoke pit).

loving lol bringing SDO/ASDO into an underway watch discussion.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Madurai posted:

With all this business of the Aussies buying American nuke boats, does that mean there'll be exchange students going through the USN nuke training pipeline for a few years? At least until they get their own (equally traumatic) schools running?

Yes. They're already in class. The first batch of Aussies graduates in May.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

So I have survived command for the second (technically third), and final time. Got a band at the end and everything.

Now off to shore duty to try and recoup before retirement.

While I'm a bit wistful about never being at sea again, I can safely say that I extremely glad to be done with the surface warfare enterprise. This last 18 months finally broke me. It's time for me to move on.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

also some of the officers going to ships based in japan get samurai swords apparently. navy is weebs.

Unless it's changed, a katana was given to the first Mid to select an FDNF-J ship. The sword is actually donated by the JMSDF and presented by the senior JMSDF officer stationed at USNA to the recipient.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I had a long post typed up, but deleted it. Instead I will say that things are way worse than even this article makes it seem.

As an aside, they also did a senior SWO survey like this for O5s and O6s. They've been a lot more quiet about it because it didn't go well either.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

The last five days have really demonstrated that the vast, vast majority of the world really doesn't have any clue about The Ocean.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 22, 2023

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I assume the submersible was supposed to surface by using ballast? So assuming there is a ballast issue, what was the redundant method they have? Or was redundancy in that impractical?

The inventor/CEO/pilot was quoted as saying safety was a waste of money, so search your heart for the answer to that question.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

never ask questions you don't want to know the answer to

Words of wisdom.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

First woman CNO has been picked by Biden, can Tuberville hold this up? Or is this an appointment and not a promotion?

Yes. For 3 and 4 stars your promotion is tied to your position.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Command Climate Surveys/DEOCS are a mixed bag, but overall I find them to be very useful.

There are a couple of things that really hold back their utility:

1) Selection Bias: Since they're not mandated only people who are really upset or, really really happy participate. The mean +/-1 sd just go about their day. This means that no matter how good a command is even a "good" survey will be overall negative.

2) Tyranny of Small Numbers: Partly this is particular to my career experience, but when you're talking about commands with less than 300 or so people it's really easy to have numbers scew widely. When coupled with #1 it's even more pronounced.

3) Poorly structured questions with poorly structured answers: Under the new DoD mandated system, most of the questions are fixed and are worded vaguely in such a manner as they can be applied across the joint force which can lead to confusion. (eg: who's your "primary supervisor"? Your WCS? You LPO? Your Chief? Your DIVO? :shrug: ). Additionally, there are some questions that are yes/no and somehow are presented as numerical ratings in the results.

I generally had great success using them. The secret is:
1) Early and direct communication as the CO to the Command Response Team so that they understand what you think the status is and so that the command selected/crafted questions actually work as intended.

2) Afterwards it was about extracting the important bits from the comments and actively working with the CRT again to develop a strategy to really tease out what's real and what's not via the various focus groups.

3) Finally, it was about open and honest communication back to the crew. Here's what I can do, here's what I'm doing to help things I can't change, here's the reasons why I'm not changing the thing you don't like.

Unfortunately, most of my peers are unable/unwilling to honestly engage with the process. Reasons for that varied from not understanding it, not caring, or being scared of it.

Sorry for the effort post interrupting your mess decks bitching, but I'm a little drunk and decided to give some insight from a guy who's commanded three ships and done a bunch of these surveys.

That all said though, my last command really and truly broke my spirit. There's a lot of reasons why, but professionally it boiled down to being really tired of being the bag man for a Navy that just doesn't give a poo poo about its people anymore. I saw it first hand and across numerous surveys from around the fleet.

So excuse me while I finish my drink so I can finally go to sleep.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

Makes me think of the old Mitch Hedberg escalator joke. gently caress does it suck that he died in his 30s

loving truth.

I'm old enough that I actually got to see him live twice and I'm super thankful for that.

RIP Mitch All-Together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Can't speak for the whole island, but I fully agree about the quality of Hale Koa's beach bar mai tai.