Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Is there anything more iron-clad than the enlisted man's respect for his officers once earned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Maybe once upon a time that sort of thing was a "career ender," or w/e. It really shouldn't disuade you from talking to someone.

A little clarification here but while it may not be a career ender it is possible it can be the end of your having certain ratings should you stay in. Obviously if you are going 'sad panda' you shouldn't be concerned with that, but it can be a consequence after you will have to live with so whenever I see someone say 'the stigma is gone' I need to point out that isn't true if your rating requires any kind of special physical.

If your command can guilt someone into staying silent and just knuckling under vs. them maybe becoming a pumpkin for possibly 2 years (1 year treatment, +6 months off, plus a year application process for waiver/reinstatement) that you can't free up the billet because they might legally come back, would they? Well maybe you had a better command than any of the ones I'd been in.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

After I transferred to my next command they got my info and wouldn't let me carry a swiss army knife. I had to train to be able to deploy with the marines in a 'nonpermissable environment' and I was the only one allowed to forgo the 9mm and m4 qual portion. I laugh about it now though, but at the time you cant help feeling embarrassed.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I played a bunch of MtG on deployment and I had to stop when people started ordering tons of booster boxes and crazy god-like decks they bought online and made playing unbearable, so yeah doing booster drafts is the way to go.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Sir Lucius posted:

I have less than a month left. Still had to do a midterm. Put down "get a dog" as one of my goals.

A guy who was getting out put "Get closer to Jesus" down on his.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

I also wonder how a lookout didn't see a flashing light.

When I was on deployment the LHD had OS' guys on radar tracking planes and ships (although these are the guys trying to attempt comms with a drone and baffled why it didn't reply) and FCs who would scan the area with their night vision cameras on their guns (amazing to see how much garbage was in the water they could see like floating fridges wtf) and there were the guys who had the binos (who I am convinced are the fuckers throwing chemlights into the water to make everyone get up at night for man overboard musters to share their misery). Thats like 3 layers of eyeballs that I know of looking at whats going on around us.

I don't know how a destroyer works though. Do they only have the lookouts?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

Take this with the appropriate grain of sand

Elendil004 posted:

grain of sand

The galley run out of salt again?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

My suggestion. Grab a bunch of submarine O-3 who have no preconceptions about what surface life is supposed to be like, have them spend a week on a ship

Ok but at the end of it how do you trick them to going back to their underwater fart coffin?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

LordNad posted:

Do ships use tacan at all?

I know some HAVE a tacan beacon and that the last a is Air. Just wondering if it's ever used to get bearings/do you even have a tall enough antenna?

Mark your father.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Maybe theres less of a stigma about getting help now because they bombard you with 'get help' stuff, and the senior sailors still see it that way?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Billzasilver posted:

Yeah, never had any intention whatsoever of joining the chair force. Or the Marines, though I have several cousins in the Marines. I pretty much know navy would be the best fit for me, with army and nat guard as distant second choices

Based on your extensive knowledge of the Navy I'm sure.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Y'all are wasting your time. In the same breath as he said he was sure everyone dumping on the nuke rate was right he was also saying when the paperwork goes through and he's miserable we'd be right to laugh at him. All his replies about it since are him taking a passive role in not loving his life up like 'well I need a waiver so let's see if that happens' or 'maybe the recruiter isn't doing his job of screwing me wholeheartedly' as opposed to 'oh poo poo I better do something about this and tell him I changed my mind'.

Dude is going nuke. Smart enough to be a nuke, not smart enough not to be one.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

It's not a rate or mos. It's usually a job done by civilian contractors but supposedly people have been assigned temporarily to work at the gym and other places and do that crap.

Depending on the kind of trouble you get into, big Navy has something called temporary holding units and they farm people out to do lovely jobs.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

In the navy that's true. In the AF it is an actual job. 3M0X1 is the career field and you can literally hand out basketballs for your full enlistment.

Too bad I'm too old to reenlist

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The supervisor probably didn't even write that eval regardless. Some jackass 2nd class probably cut and pasted a bunch of bullet points from other peoples old evals on the share drive and someone up the chain just signed it.

EDIT: Also my friend's eval had 'Needs more Jesus in his life' since he wrote his own.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 31, 2017

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Well if you guys get an airfield I'd man up the control tower for you but I sure as hell wouldn't go back on a boat. Also no night ops. And no daytime FCLPs. And everyone is PPR and the answer is always 'no'.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Laranzu posted:

While doing anti piracy operations we worked out how many ships per month we would need to pirate to pay for the LHD and crew salary.

It wasn't that many.

Are you factoring the cost of operations into that? When we were doing airstrikes in Yemen we dumped tons and tons of ordinance in the bomb boxes.

For the uninitiated the Harrier takes off like a fixed wing aircraft and hovers to land (we all know VTOL). Part of that hovering to land and slamming on the deck means the harrier 1) needs to be a certain weight on return 2) shouldn't have things like bombs on it that could fall off it when it slams onto the deck. So you have to have X number of them in the air to run the mission and they have Y amount of fuel/fly time (X and Y being maybe OPSEC since I don't think we tell people how many planes we use or how long their endurance is on those missions?). And they dropped what they didnt use in the ocean, came back to refuel or swap out, and freshly loaded ones would take off to do the same. Z hours long 6 days a week for 3/4s of the deployment. Tons and tons of ordinance dumped in the briny deep.

We asked our Marine Liason officer (our squadrons only pilot who flew fighter aircraft) what some of those bombs cost and it wasn't cheap, apparently the electronics in some of them are stupid expensive.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

LogicalFallacy posted:

Alright. Headed to Chicago tomorrow. Hopefully I don't die or piss off my RDCs.

How do we send you letters of encouragement and care packages?

EDIT: nothing feels worse when everyone else gets a letter during mail call and you dont

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

DustyNuts posted:

Well, I got mine in 2004, so I'm kinda bummed I didn't get the super improved version.

Related: One of our HMs was administering smallpox to crew members for a few hours, walked over to the sink, and rubbed his eye with a gloved hand like a total idiot. He developed a nasty infection in that eye, it was all swollen and oozing and gross for a week. Way to go.

Thats the fun aspect of giving us all the smallpox vaccine aboard the ship. Everyone has this itchy spot covered by a bandaid and people are scratching in their sleep and rubbing their eyes and everyone is using the same handholds/rails on the ship just spreading it around. It was a miserable week where I avoided touching any common surfaces I could, let others open the berthing door/cypher locks, didnt use the handrails, and bathed my hands in purell. I emerged unscathed but yeah lot of hosed up eyes in our squadron.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Probably a combination of things. Obviously if you are itchy in your sleep you are going to scratch unconsciously. We were doing donuts in the gulf of aden so it was stupid hot and I'm sure that everyone was sweating their bandages off and so on. Plus we had marines aboard and they already don't believe in washing their hands ("it toughens up our immune systems!").

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Viva Miriya posted:

Who the gently caress was their doc?

You mean in regards to teaching Marines not to wash their hands to strengthen their immune system? You've never heard that before? Ask any marine, they teach that as far back as boot camp.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I can only tell you what I've been told when I asked why. And like, if it was just a handful of Marines loving with me that'd be one thing, but every time I went to the head without fail the Marines walking out of the stalls and shitters would skip the sink.

I was actually talking about this the other day to someone who just got out of the Navy many years removed from when I got out. We originally we're talking about people coming to our workplace sick with the flu and she mentioned it to me like it was something I might not have heard before.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ok sure you got it.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

What the hell are you talking about? That's not a thing Ive ever heard or seen in my 18 years in. If nothing else marines get taught that historically poor hygiene killed more troops than the enemy. They don't usually listen but it's certainly something that's taught.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/military/sd-me-mcrd-sickness-20171031-story.html
titled "Hundreds of recruits get sick at Marine boot camp" dated Oct 2017
"While investigators continue searching for the source of the contagion, commanders have quarantined sick recruits from those who have yet to display symptoms, mandated increased hand washing and ensured proper sanitation in all training areas, officials said."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ok and

me: marines are bad at hygiene
other people: no they aren't
San Diego Tribune: hundreds with an 'S' recruits sick, told 'hey you need to wash your drat hands more'