Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The reserves are the literal worst.

But that healthcare and sidepay is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Stultus Maximus posted:

True on both counts. As a teacher, I actually need the sidepay. Unfortunately, that also means that I was unwilling to spend an entire weekend's pay to travel for a "career enhancing" billet and I didn't get picked up for O5.

Truth.

My entire gameplan:
- Be awesome, make O4 this year
- Don't gently caress anyone over, stay O4
- Retire

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Gonna go this week. IMAX 7 miles away at asn AMC.

Don't gently caress with me Nolan!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm a SWO reservist as well. My experience after 1.5 years as such is that you can find a cool job, but it's difficult. I did, because the unit I support is in the same city where I went to grad school and am looking to start a career, but it's a lucky thing - other units didn't interest me nearly as much. Some units you might be interested in that aren't local will allow you to only drill at their NOSC once a quarter and locally other months - you'll spend your drill paycheck entirely on travel since you'll likely need to pay the ticket yourself in that case but it may be well worth it if you get a cool AT each year.

The paycheck is actually very nice for what you're really doing. The healthcare is also really nice. However, don't expect a lot of satisfaction. For a full year+ after AD I left each and every drill weekend angry for one reason or another. The system itself is poor, communication is incredibly difficult, and people (rightfully) tend to check out during the month though as an Officer you'll be expected to do work outside of the drill weekend (I am writing a monthly report right now!) After a while you get used to it, anticipate the poo poo that's likely to erupt over any given process, and it works out. It becomes a slog then but every so often it's nice to get together and tell sea stories.

That said, for the financial security it has given me, and the instability that healthcare is likely to face in the coming years - I'll probably stick with it. At least in the short run though I starting a new career in corporate makes me leery of any potential deployment.

Boon fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 1, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Drill weekend. One of the first things put out was that if you're involved in the type of events like Charlottesville you'll be run of the Navy on a rail.

This is a good unit.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

LingcodKilla posted:

Even as nonviolent counter protestor?

Nah, it was pretty clearly a 'No loving Nazis'

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
For fucks sake. 7th fleet is broke.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Another article I read (sorry, didn't save link) said that the Strait of Malacca is especially nasty to navigate because it's so heavily travelled. Do you guys have any thoughts about the Strait?

Admiral John Richardson just called for a Fleet-wide review.

I've done it a few times and twice there were two relatively close calls, once by a Chinese flagged freighter that went out of its way to be a dick.

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 22, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

M_Gargantua posted:

Because Sub life it turns out is way better than being a scrub on a destroyer dealing with extra dumb sailors.

Sub life is great

[Citation needed]

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm qualified throigh US Sailing for small boats and I still can't tie a goddamn bowline knot to save my life. My mind simply does not retain or comprehend that knot.

Goddamn bunnies and trees, it makes no sense.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

FrozenVent posted:

Is there such a thing as an unavoidable accident?

Well, my second ship had it's rudder fall off. That was in 1996 though, well before I was there. Even with the best training in the world, that'd be pretty hard to overcome I think.

Had a similar mishap sailing one time, the rudder which was supposed to float, didn't. I'll tell ya that I was pretty hosed.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I once watched a cougar leap off the bow of our ship.

poo poo like this kind of gets romanticized but you'd lose your driver's license for driving like that.

Boon fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 24, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Money, I'd wager.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PneumonicBook posted:

Man, some real salty people in here that an LCS is in fact, not a DDG.

It's a 500 million dollar ship that's meant to go cruise around for force projection. That's it. Any cursory look at its actual capabilities tells you that. Admirals were sick of sending loving billion dollar ships to do circles by pirates and low risk areas I guess.

Ironically due to its C4I capabilities it doesn't really even do that well though, lol. You get what you pay for.

Each 500 million spent on one of these lovely ships is 500 million that wasn't plowed into ASCM and next gen land attack and I am salty about this, yes

Also, :lol: at the design of these ships which are intended for use as small boat and pirate deterrence. Something more akin to the OHP frigates would have been superior

Boon fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 24, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PneumonicBook posted:

Oh cmon, you know drat well they're entirely different pots of money.

Theyre different pots of money because that's how it was appropriated.

They're ships that were designed and built for a world that never came to fruition. Instead China pursued an active blue water Navy complete with significant SUW capabilities throughout the late 90s and early 2000s while we hosed off in the middle East and seemingly confirmed the need for them. Oh and resurgent Russia.

All the while our own blue water capabilities went to hell with no investment. But don't you worry, because when poo poo kicks off in the part of the world where the most commerce, the most people, the most military forces, and the largest ocean, we might be able to soak up their missiles 500 million at a time. Maybe they'll luck into effective minesweeps. I'm not holding my breath.

Boon fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 26, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
:lol:

Just....

:lol:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Woh. Phone posting so no link, but I guess
new guidelines have been issued for surface fleet sleep requirements... 5 and dimes may be going away

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I hear Amazon is hiring

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Better get them STAR stories ready, good luck!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

If we want to get real redundant, pilots wings should get the axe because no pilot needs a badge on their chest to let you know they fly.

Truly the crossfit of Navy communities

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
That McCain writeup.... :stare:

When these happened I felt personally pained because I feel like anyone who has ever manned a bridge can relate, but now I'm just angry.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It was fun to draw a penis on VMS during midwatch and see who would notice first, combat or the CO.

The answer is nobody. Also, looking back it was really stupid.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

got caught wearing a tail under his utilities, etc.

:stare:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yes. Keep same rank at same duty station until separation if you can't pass pfa. No early out for failing.

Effective immediately or what? Because I got two dudes who gonna get processed after this cycle.

E: Can you point to the navadmin? Won't believe this till I see it.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Our bridge watches routinely were five and dimes because "it wasnt fair to other watch-stations" if we went to four-section rotations.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It's hard to think when your brain is misfiring at all cylinders

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ded posted:

If we had a goon ship it would be one of those barges in Pearl Harbor that make so much loving noise that they sound like they are going 60kts but actually go 2kts.

It'd also be constantly spilling oil and paint into the basin

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

OOD underway is a monstrous qualification that ends with a board chaired by the skipper himself before he signs off on it. Same for most other major qualifications. The captain isn’t just bottom lining. He’a actually sat down with this person and personally given them the go ahead.

In my case, after all of my PQS had been signed but before my board, I had to do a walkthrough of the ship with each Department Head and would be quizzed about various elements in their spaces (I got loving destroyed by our OPS in CIC - goddamn ASTAC and LINK equipment). Once that was done, the CO took me on a 3.5-hour walkthrough of the entire ship (CG) that got into some reaaaaaaal granular detail in some real obscure places. Once he was satisfied, I could schedule a board.

Boon fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 17, 2018

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Can someone point me to the regs regarding reenlistment?

I have been asked to reenlist one of my reserve sailors this weekend but with the shutdown that has been thrown into disarray. I want to know what my options are so that I can provide them to him.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nick Soapdish posted:

What in particular are you looking for? If they already have the contract done, which they should have if given time to the NOSC, you as an O can do it any time, any place.

Yes I realize that, but I don't have the paperwork, I don't know that the NOSC is open, and I don't know what the timeline looks like and I want to get out ahead of it.

Just the reg that governs it because I'd like to read up on it

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I think I've made the decision to leave the reserves sometime in the next year and was wondering who in here was active -> reserve -> out and can talk to me about this.

I'm committed to at least one more year, will probably do a 2-week AT in April, and then again in November along with a slough of ATP and maybe some EAT. After that though, I think I'm done. I'll six months into a new career, probably getting super serious with my girlfriend, and I frankly don't want to risk a deployment in the next three years (next year would be catastrophic for my career and personal life - girlfriend cries every time she thinks about it). It kills me because I understand what the true value of that retirement is, but at the same time, it's 12 years out. Also, is it stupid that I want to put on O4 before leaving? How lovely is it to get pinned and then be like, "well, see ya!"

Boon fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 12, 2018

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PneumonicBook posted:

I can only speak to an IRR chit getting straight denied and told get hosed you're here for the contract. Do Officers leave the same way as enlisted via IRR chit?

I'm not sure if mine was denied due to the Navy in general's new manning instructions or if they really think FCs in the reserves are a good idea.

I know Ket went active->reserve->out but I think that's because his contract was up.

I don't really have a contract in the same sense, I don't think. But I did sign a 3-year commitment which expires January 31st, 2019. February 2019 would be my last planned month.

I just kind of realized today driving home that I loving hate each drill weekend, that when I was speaking to the CO about what I need to do to advance to O5 or O6 that I just don't care and would rather be happy in my new career. The healthcare/pension be damned.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It's kind of an obvious move. Our ASUW capability is poo poo and the obvious advantage of a super stealthy destroyer is in a SUW role not Strike (although that is a real need as well)

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I used to go to Dam Neck pretty often.

It's not like it's in the middle of nowhere - VA Beach is like 5-10 minutes away (which may actually be bad, Norfolk is the way better city IMO)

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The food situation here in DC will make you feel a whole lot better about yourself.

The traffic on the other hand...

I'm doing my second last AT right now, my last in November and then I'm throwing in the towel when my contract is up in Feb because fuuuuuuuuuuuck the reserves.

The money and healthcare was nice while I was in school though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PneumonicBook posted:

If you're getting out why even do the ATs?

Because my AT is in Japan and also money.