Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DCA = damage control assistant - the damage control officer for the ship. Second tour divo (O2-O3) on small ships

CCS - central control station - engineering HQ

GQ - general quarters - entire ship to designated battle stations for combat/damage control

1MC - shipwide announce system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

OOD - officer of the deck - dude in the pilothouse designated in writing by skipper to run the ship.

CRUDES - cruisers/destroyers

Are there any we missed?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dude I appreciate all you've shared so far. I had wondered if you set GQ from the CCS alarm panel.

Holy poo poo was the OOD off loving the conn and the ship running on auto pilot or something while boats and the helmsman took a nap?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

What repair yard are they likely to send her to?

Most likely patch her up so she can sail on her own to San Diego in a Yoko drydock and finish repairs CONUS. If not, they'll load her up like they did the Cole and Samuel B Roberts. I doubt they do full repairs in Japan.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

poopkitty posted:

A couple years ago they pulled the engine out of the starboard side of a DDG and rebuilt it before putting her back together - the shipyard is very capable and the Japanese workers/American yard could likely handle the job. It's going to come down to money and time and the drydock schedule. There's only two (since the carrier needs it's big one available on schedule) and they're usually occupied.

I'm wondering who will replace her in Japan.

I know the quality of the yokosuka shipyard. I went through a drydock and an insurv out there. It's night and day compared to the Hawaii yard. Money is why it'll probably go to san diego.

A controlled cut and removal of engine is a hell of a lot less complex than the damage they're going to have to repair here.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm glad your skipper is doing better as well.

Dude take all the time you need. There will be plenty of time for war stories later.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Laranzu posted:

Everything in Hawaii works slow, backwards, and has 30x the graft built in.

It's a matter of Hawaii time. Things on the islands move at island pace with an island price.

The real crazy poo poo is stuff like the auto shipping. I was bullshitting with one of the guys when i dropped off my POV. The people outside with the clipboards doing nothing had a $120k/yr union gig.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Boon posted:

:3:

Also, yeah, I used to get incredibly frustrated watching the Hawaiian contractors laying around on the pier at 2, or begin cleaning up at that time 'because the day ends at 4'

Shoots brah

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Elendil004 posted:

Conflicting reports between the US Navy and the Japan Coast Guard as to time of the Fitz collision: http://americanmilitarynews.com/2017/06/japanese-coast-guard-investigates-a-one-hour-delay-in-reporting-the-uss-fitzgerald-collision/

The dude that broke down the AIS for the container ship explained it pretty well. I'm guessing the official US answer is because 1 - the government is effectively running rudderless with an incompetent administration in charge, and 2 - the actual information from their own investigation is still pending.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Blackchamber posted:

When I was on deployment the LHD had OS' guys on radar tracking planes and ships (although these are the guys trying to attempt comms with a drone and baffled why it didn't reply) and FCs who would scan the area with their night vision cameras on their guns (amazing to see how much garbage was in the water they could see like floating fridges wtf) and there were the guys who had the binos (who I am convinced are the fuckers throwing chemlights into the water to make everyone get up at night for man overboard musters to share their misery). Thats like 3 layers of eyeballs that I know of looking at whats going on around us.

I don't know how a destroyer works though. Do they only have the lookouts?

Destroyers doing non-training/deployment steaming are probably going to have a skeleton watch crew. Bridge wing lookouts are often not manned 24/7 if at all outside of low vis/special evolutions. Here is likely who all was on watch in the bridge:

Officer of the Deck
Conning Officer
Boatswain Mate of the Watch (BMOW)
Quartermaster of the Watch (QMOW)
Helmsman

Since it was the middle of the night, the BMOW may have very well been inside the skin of the ship routing the CO's night orders to various departments (engineering, combat, etc that were also likely thinly manned) or he could have been rotating the aft lookout and the helmsmen. The QMOW very well could have been in the chart room prepping for a incoming port movement, in the signal shack loving with flags, or asleep in either place. Additionally, both of these people could have been inside the skin of the ship waking up watch replacements.

Basically the OOD and the conn are the only ones that are sure to be there 100% of the time and someone should always be at the helm. It's possible to fall asleep standing behind the helm. I've done it and I know others have as well. There's a lot of ways to get complacent at 1 in the morning especially when everyone is about to get off of watch. I could very easily imagine a less than awake helmsman and an OOD & conn bullshitting on the port bridge wing completely missing something on the starboard side of the ship.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Elendil004 posted:

Wouldn't 1am be a fresh crew, relieved around 0030/0045?

Depends on the exact watch rotation, but iirc our watches always relieved at 2 or 3 minus 15-30 minutes depending on which specific watch was getting replaced. The OOD itself would always be the last to assume and on the hour.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PneumonicBook posted:

What about combat? I've stood plenty of mid CSC watches so I know how alert the average watch team is at that point, especially in friendly waters, but you'd think someone would have seen the contact.

Combat may have had a CICWO (Combat Information Center Watch Officer) but that junior officer is just supposed to mainly watch chat and deal with comms if they had a CIC watch stood up at all.

If you're steaming around home port not doing anything in particular it might not be stood up at all.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PneumonicBook posted:

I have never once been on an aegis ship without combat stood up in some capacity, regardless of location. When I say stood up I don't mean an ensign running around as cicwo.

I've been underway with little to no manning in combat plenty of times.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PneumonicBook posted:

Well I guess our anecdotes have landed us at an impasse. The lowest manning we ever had was steaming back from Hawaii after package, and we still had csc/surface/tic/ids/and a token Senior guy, either Tao or air.

Most of the time with only a CICWO was returning from deployment or just overnight steaming that isn't a part of training or an exercise.

TAOs would only be on watch if we were actually doing something. Just :lol: if your CO had department heads standing watch 100% of the time you were underway. You had some cranky DHs as a result I'm sure.

The bottom line is, though, that only one person here knows the manning setup and he necessarily can't share. You're right they probably had more than just a CICWO in CIC, but I doubt they were fully manned.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also all of this varies from fleet to fleet and ship to ship. Every fleet has their own standards and every skipper has his own as well. It's all in an instruction somewhere.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

.18 at 9 in the morning after stopping at midnight is loving impressive.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

M_Gargantua posted:

Did Mr. nice get his old avatar back? I really do associate avatars as 'facial equivalents' at this point and it's mentally headache inducing to accept changes.

As far as i know i'm still rikered. It's inoffensive so i haven't cared to change it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

do they still have the non-command career path poo poo they kept talking about back when I was a JO so that guys that would be terminal O4s can just go become like a permanent strike guy or something and still promote but never command?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This is what I was thinking about :

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/Detailing/surfacewarfare/SPC/Pages/default.aspx

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

That program has already run it's course. They killed it earlier this year after a decade of poor management that led to stagnating promotion rates for all of the SCP communities.

:lol:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

Some admiral talked to our unit today. Like any good junior sailor I whined about my GTTC problems. Of course his staff took my name. Maybe I'll get payed before the end of the year.
Maybe.

Your chain of command is going to chew your rear end six ways from sunday, you'll get at least one counseling statement, and your GTTC problems will still probably not be solved, or will be in the most negative way they can get away with.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

I'd agree but all my problems are from while I was at my last NOSC (800 miles away), previous unit and this was my first weekend with my new unit.

I'll admit raining hell on a lovely old command if you're really isolated from it sounds nice.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I didn't realize the blue ridge is the oldest active ship (constitution and pueblo don't really count).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

maffew buildings posted:

couple of dead seabees from motorcycle accidents this weekend. time for a mandatory stand down, especially for the non riders!

How much more do you know about motorcycle PPE now, though? Don't motorcycles look fun and cool now?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think what they're wanting is to do another baseline style test (that is no noise whatsoever 14 hours from before) to establish your new normal since you've had enough of a threshold shift from your initial baseline. It isn't that they're trying to say this new test is what you came in as so there's no loss, but rather to figure out exactly how much you've dimished. They're not removing the old baseline from your record and pretending your current state is what you came in with.

I think the navy medical community has just accepted that "giving you a new baseline" is the term for a followup to a significant threshold shift and future tests in the hearing conservation program will be compared.

Your VA check for hearing loss isn't based exactly on your audiology history, but rather your deviation from what a standard person at your age should be at on an audiology exam. Your deviation from standard is put into a table to figure out your roman numeral per ear, and then those are put into another table to figure out compensation.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/4.85

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

another reminder that you don't have to have hearing loss to have tinnitus

You can still get paid for tinnitus without an obvious loss of hearing. I'm guessing actual severe hearing loss gets more but I just made that up

Service connected hearing loss in both ears if extreme enough warrants a 100% disability rating, although you need to be effectively deaf in your good ear for that to happen. The link I posted early explains it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I got denied for this poo poo hella hard, despite working and drilling in a submarine engine-room and at a navy shipyard.

They just don't believe that I got the tinn

Did you appeal?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Did you see how much paperwork that was?

No because my VSO did all the paperwork. I just had to sign poo poo. Go to a VSO even if you haven't ever talked to one and see what your options are. If you have something they got wrong, appeal it. It may take years to sort it out, but you'll eventually get backpay and all you really have to do is just sign a few pieces of paper, go to any appointments you get sent to, and wait.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Like seriously, for almost everything VA related there are people that will do all the paperwork for you. It may take time, but it is always worth pursuing everything until exhaustion. Once you've reached the terminal point of VSO support, they will almost certainly have attorneys on speed dial that will take your case with no cost to you because there are statutory fees in the outcome.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ded posted:

What about if your job was listening to white noise for hours at a time.

Talk to a VSO. They'll be able to tell you more.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You gotta get into lovely dumb rates like BM, CS, PS, or any seabee to see 12 year E4s. The real crazy part is not going to mast that whole time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

orange juche posted:

Is it even possible to be a 12 year e4 anymore i thought hyt was 8 now for e4.

It just moved from 8-10 this year. That badge is definitely old af because it hasn't been 12+ since they allowed E5s to retire, iirc.

Edit: that was in 2005, so it's been a while.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 4, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Navy just announced they're changing chief sea/shore rotation timing and basically forcing tons of shore chiefs out to sea duty.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

Our poor cpo-select came to tears today.

Gonna help him with one of his projects on the sly because he's so overwhelmed.

gently caress that make him earn his loving anchors. If he doesn't want to do this poo poo, he doesn't have to.

Likewise do not buy from any loving fundraisers. All it does is go to booze.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I can understand if you're the only person around who can do fancywork so long as you get to do it on the clock.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If I remember right our esteemed senior ranking naval officer said this of being a department head "there are two things I hate: ships and sailors"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They need around 20% of swos to become department heads. They have to pay people an additional 100k and a free graduate degree while receiving full pay and benefits in school to get people to stick around.

I probably would have because i'm a moron and loved driving ships.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

Chief selects suck. I'd rather go to mast.

You won't got to mast for refusing to go through selection. You can absolutely opt the gently caress out of it and still pin on E7 and wear the exact same uniform. The other chiefs will poo poo on you forever and you won't be allowed in the treefort and will probably not make it past any retention board, but you can absolutely say gently caress it and coast as an E7 till you're out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sir Lucius posted:

Officers sure do complain a lot about how hard their lives are. What's the hardest part: the extra pay, the private room on ship? Seriously though, how is being a dept head worse than something like LPO?

I've been on both sides of the coin and life was definitely better as an O, but that's largely because i had a good couple skippers and a decent wardroom. Some are cesspools of backstabbing and infighting. I remember on friend's ship one ensign would tattle on others for being late or other infractions via the CO's suggestion box.

The hours are shittier sometimes, and you get yelled at a lot by other stressed people. Department heads, on the other hand, have much larger responsibility and can be fired almost willy nilly by the captain and their career ended for something that was outside of their control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LDO is loving great go for it.