Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

SuperSix posted:

Was talking to my American buddy and I'm a little jealous of the SWO pins your ship drivers get when they qualify. Up here in Canada we dont get nuttin after making through JO life. Seems like a small thing but it's always nice to have a shiny to work towards.

Only 2 pins in the navy mean poo poo. SWO is not one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If you want a Navy career that will not make you want to shoot yourself in the face, be a supply officer.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Billzasilver posted:

Word? What's the reason there? I've seen that CECs are supposed to keep lots of supplies stocked if they work in overseas bases

They don't actually have to keep poo poo stocked. The enlisted guys take care of everything. The CHOP just takes care of paperwork and approves/disapproves poo poo. Some of them get bored and qualify Diving Officer on subs. The one on my boat was the worst loving dive ever.

Supply is easy loving street.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LogicalFallacy posted:

Well, I did not expect quite as much of an... exuberant response. Fwiw I am 26 and me going nuke is highly dependent on my age waiver going through. Either way I plan on doing ET, so I do figure on having transferable skills once I get out, assuming I don't re-enlist.

I don't know at this point if I want to do career military, which my brother is super gung-ho about right now, or if I plan on trying to find civilian work after this tour.

As for what I'm doing in the time before basic, it's mostly getting into a reasonable shape where I can survive boot camp and rounding out the few credits I need so that I can still go in as an E3 even if I stay AECF.

Do you really think that Tets story is a one off thing? This poo poo has been going on for 30+ years and has not changed one single bit other than to become even more stressful.

Be a nuke. You will love it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LogicalFallacy posted:

Eh, I trust that y'all do know what you're talking about, and if all the paperwork to get me into nuke goes through and I end up hating life and everything in a year or so, I'll happily let the thread say "I told you so." I do know the liaison I met with at my MEPS loving loves AECF, so who knows if he's even pushing all that hard to get me into nuke. (Though everyone else in the office was more for me going nuke)

And for the chap who asked, my brother's been in about 3 years now I believe.

edit : gently caress it

I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU TO GO NUKE YOU loving LITTLE BITCH, NO BALLS DO IT YOU loving NERD rear end PUNK BITCH

ded fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 5, 2017

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t63jQG80tqE

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Laranzu posted:

I'm legit blitzed and on shoreb duty as a not nuke and that was the worst thing ever.

I did a google for 'navy nuclear power' and 'navy nuclear power sucks'

found that

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
But think about the sweet sub pay he will be raking in.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Being a nuke on a sub is the best life choice you can make. You will enjoy a great opportunity to STAR for a car and get instant E-5 along with a massive bonus check!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
You're still a fucktard.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Yes, I think he would make a fantastic SWO.

He will have to do the blue to gold program. Perfect candidate imo.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
report him

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
:chiefsay: SHIPMATE! HAVE YOU HEARD THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT BIT COINS?? :chiefsay:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Nautical as gently caress up in here.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The Navy way to do things is #1 send more bodies and if that does not work #2 have more bodies there longer

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Dunno why surface ships can't just do 6/6/6 like the subs do.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I bet if you could find an eval from 20 years ago it would sound nearly the same as they do now, just with slightly different 'point' scales.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Chiefs love the image that they are untouchable.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
con, sonar, gained new dimus trace designated sierra mike delta foxtrot tango bravo

initial classification, Stridulatory

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If we had a goon ship it would be one of those barges in Pearl Harbor that make so much loving noise that they sound like they are going 60kts but actually go 2kts.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
PRT should just be a stores load and being able to fit through the smallest hatch.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Doing flank speed during sound trials up in Alaska we went so fast it was off the dial.

Subs love cold water.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

FrozenVent posted:

I ever get to name ships, I'm naming them AIS Malfunction, Radar Clutter, Test Contact, Next Upbound, Next Downbound, Underway Sailing, Stand-On Vessel, Red Tanker (Actually a blue bulker) and Blue Container Ship (A red tanker). Oh and the "Ownship" class. Ownship Vector, Ownship Track, Ownship Ghost, Ownship Position...

gently caress it, let the world burn.

It was cool when a new JO trying to stand OOD would come into the sonar shack and ask 'why is that dimus trace following us when we turn??'

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Here is a warm uplifting Chief story for you.

The Chiefs on my boat were always mad at my sonar chief. Why you ask? Because he would stand sonar supervisor watch instead of diving officer watch. We had enough sonar supervisors to barely maintain a 3 sup rotation while the dive watch was at 7 section. The rest of us normal sonar watchstanders at that time had to stand port/stbd watch.

When we finally had enough manning (just before westpac is the only time the detailers make sure you have a proper amount of staffing) to stand a 3 section sonar watch they had my chief stand diving officer watch. 8 section duty at sea. 1 watch every 2 days doing standard 6 hour watch rotation. He told us he spent 16hrs in the rack and only got out of bed because he had to piss so drat bad. He also claimed to feel guilty as hell and when we went on westpac he was back in sonar doing a 4 section sonar supervisor rotation.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

-Anders posted:

I'm from a non-US navy, and I have a bit of a hard time with the terminology here. Help me out a bit.

What does a sonar supervisor do? I think I might be one, but then I'm the only one aboard the ship.
Also what watchstanding do a sonar/dive supervisor do? I don't think I even understand what a dive supervisor/watchstander does?
Also there's no chief's mess here, all petty officers dine in the same mess.

Sonar Supervisor is the guy who oversees the 3-5 guys running the systems in the sonar shack. Diving officer keeps the ship 'balanced' by telling the Chief of the Watch to move water/othershit around tanks and executes depth changes as ordered by the OOD.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
my chief was so good at hiding behind his lpo that i didn't realize it was him keeping us late every loving day just because he was poo poo at planning poo poo out.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I got my OOD/SWO quals in under a year with several months of it in drydock. Why so fast? My dumbass XO forgot that I arrived after deployment and scheduled my boards along with everyone who did deploy. I didn't say a word and passed.

A true SWO.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
They line up and stab others in the back as often as possible for the opportunity to drive a ship.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LogicalFallacy posted:

Woohoo. Just got out of boot camp and headed to Connecticut. Any subs here that can let me know any important poo poo I should know before I get there?

WHY ARE YOU loving DINK NUB??? GO GET ME A GOD DAMNED SWEET TEA YOU STUPID DINK NUB CRANK!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

pkells posted:

Destroyer trip report:

How the gently caress do you guys live on a tiny cramped ship like that for months at a time? And how do you put up with such a crazy work schedule? I spent a month with the army last year in Puerto Rico living in a camp, and they seemed to have a better quality of life.

But the boat was cool, and my friend kept introducing this chief at the happy hour event afterwards as "an officer on the boat". Multiple people on the tour asked about whether or not they have nukes on board. I asked the 1Lt or whatever you call them how much BS they put up with getting the board ready for non-stop tours through their home for the past week. His smirk answered my question.

Now imagine life on a sub that only has enough beds for 70-80% of the crew.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
That would be nice to see. The LA was 'lucky' that the aux equipment space was turned into an extra 9 man berthing (with horrible ventilation). Not having to stick 20-40+ people onto hotracks + torpedo room while on deployment would help quite a bit.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

McNally posted:

The master chief walked awkwardly into the hospital room, the combination hat in his hands slowly being turned in circles as he unconsciously showed his nervousness. When he realized what he was doing, he set it on the chair by the door and stepped over to the young petty officer's bed. He took a glance at the notecard in his hand and tried to speak, but his voice caught. He took a breath, cleared his throat, and tried again.

"Hey there, shipmate," he said, forcing a smile onto his face. "I heard you're having a rough time." His eyes moved to the bandages on the sailor's wrists, wrapped all the way up to his elbows. Down the block, not across the street, he thought. drat. He glanced at the notecard again. Words from above. The answers he sought.

"Have you completed suicide awareness training?"

:discourse:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Enjoy your mast.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Wait. Armed engine room rover?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

krispykremessuck posted:

how do you think crankcase explosions happen

Look man I just make sure the shaft seals are fed properly.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Cerekk posted:

Armed SRW was pretty standard for several years post-9/11.

I'm sure having a sidearm will help while checking bilge levels.

gently caress 9/11 caused a lot of really dumb poo poo.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Grats on your sweet O retirement cash.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Oh oh in PORT ood. Missed that bit. Still good cash I'm sure.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Nick Soapdish posted:

Also cross-posting from the games thread because this is something in the great new Battletech game

Can you spot the moment that I go 'WHAT THE gently caress'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
It is good that you came to the Navy thread for a Marine question, as the Marines are a sub division of the Navy and get all of their funding from the Navy.