Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Got less than a week now until I head to OCS. All I want for the new year is to not be the annoying new ensign.

Treat everyone like a normal human person who has issues/problems/a life outside of work and you won't be an annoying fuckstick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

If you have a chance to pitch in and do grunt work (within reason) loving do it. That goes incredibly far in the eyes of the junior guys

One of my old captains on USS LASTBOAT grabbed a pair of work gloves and loaded stores with ships crew in the hard rain for the entire duration, he stayed late that night to finish all of his normal O-5 work that got pushed to the side because of it. He knew it was important to the crew that he helped out since he had to call them in on a weekend just to load food. He may have overstepped, but gained a poo poo ton of respect from it.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Black Balloon posted:

2017 gonna be my last year, terminal starting early november, gently caress me for still being in, FTN

There is still time to marry someone, knock her up, and then reenlist before November ya know...

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Calus posted:

Oh hi thread where I belong. Didn't see you till now :)

:getout:

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Red Crown posted:

I get that Type III was probably the cheapest solution to the N-dubs problem, but it's still pretty bad. All the camouflage just seems...out of place compared to coveralls and the like. The Navy is trying way too hard at this.

I would just like to find a pair, my current NWUs are fading fast and I'll be damned if I buy uniform I won't wear long term for that price.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

You made it to E-5 without realizing the Navy is a mismanaged shitshow?

It really sets in at the E-5 level, then you become an E-6 and just kinda give up and accept fate.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Kawasaki Nun posted:

As a nuke you can always quit, though it would supposedly jeopardize your opportunities to go balls deep into the thriving industry that is civilian nuclear energy. They're building a new one in Georgia!!!

Let me expand on what I have seen to nukes who attempt to quit. It's not normal limdu where you do nothing but jerk off after mustering at 8AM for a few hours and then go home. They cut you special nuke orders(Non PCS, non-accompanied, seabag only) and you go work for a shipyard doing non-nuke stuff or "EZ Nuke" stuff under strict supervision(daycare level) for 8+ hour days with constant musters/inspections/lovely quality of life after work, until you break and go back to the boat, get denuked and become conventional or separate from the Navy.

If you are a submariner, they also take your dolphins.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

ded posted:

Let me tell you about our good friend the high pressure air system....

Hardmode: Put your dick on the chicken switches.... While underway...

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

I can only hope they are hiding in fan rooms. We don't need any more lost brothers and sisters.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Guam is good for 3-5 days of drunken haze, then you realize you are there for 3 loving years.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

Guy in my battalion killed himself last night, this poo poo is way too common

Sorry to hear that. I hope your guys are doing okay with the news. It's already a massive problem that leadership keeps trying to solve with 45 minute annual presentations by FFSC, and then wonder why it's not working.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

Yeah we had prevention training three weeks ago. Who the gently caress gundecked it and signed his name when he wasn't there???

The issue stems from that the training by FFSC produces measurable results on paper. They can report X Sailors/Marines sought help at FFSC, and that is a measurable success that people are happy with, but fails to address the underlying issue of leadership, mentor ship, and knowing your co-workers down AND up the chain.

In a perfect world, the seaman could spot that another divisions LCPO was having a hard time over the past few days and be able to approach him and use ACT, likewise for the CO to directly approach anyone under him and use ACT. Our rigidity and infrastructure we have in place directly works against this though. It's a balance we desperately need to find for this issue within all of us, and the organization itself, but currently feels like informational training by an outside organization is the best we've cared to come up with.

During my time in, I've seen more Senior Sailors commit suicide yet more junior Sailors actively seek help, maybe it's a generational change, maybe it's that younger people will seek help with less reluctance, or maybe it's a simple attention seeking cry for help. Every time it happens, I recall something my old doc on the boat told me. "It's not the young nub I worry about, he needs some rest and just someone that he can vent too. It's the guy thats been here for a while that one day just stops talking, he's the one I pull aside, because that motherfucker will do it."

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2017/09/20/navy-issues-new-sleep-and-watch-schedule-rules-for-the-surface-fleet/

I haven't seen the message, but basically captains have to pick a prescribed watch schedule, submit it for approval, and stick with it. They're saying that sailors are going to have enforced protective sleep, but I still don't see how they're going to let people sleep in their racks during the day regardless. This is going to meet a lot of resistance from the treefort, I think.

Edit: also :lol: loving surfor guidance now that moboards must be used in both the pilothouse and combat for anything with a sub 2.5nm cpa.

LOL at moboards for 5k CPA. If this isn't a sign of how old and outdated the people at the top are. Moboards will fix it all! There are at least 5(?, I don't know for surface, we had plenty on the sub with less information than the surface) different things calculating CPA on everything 1000 times faster than any maneuvering board could keep up with.

Also, protected sleep doesn't mean poo poo. poo poo will break, drills will still happen, training will still happen, and sailors will have to sacrifice sleep to meet all of those, and that time isn't coming out of watch.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

See that second half is where I think the mess will pushback, and it will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Also if the Fitz bridge/CiC had been doing moboards, they probably wouldn't have crashed. Moboards aren't a bad thing, and being able to hand plot stuff is still useful even with the wide amount of electronic sensors available. Most standing orders I've seen had something similar already for anything under 5 mile cpa (normally because it also involved notifying the captain) so this really isn't too crazy.

I feel it may start some critical thinking in the mess beyond "It's broke, and needs to be fixed soon or else I have to address it to someone else via what maintenance trackers exist now". I've seen a division get swamped with 1600 new work, and LPO and Chief accepted it without second thought, while new leadership in the division would still get passed the 1600 new work, but have the ability to determine if it can wait until the morning/a shift that could better support the maintenance. Operationally nothing that needed fixed ASAP wasn't fixed ASAP, while stuff that could wait for bit still got fixed with no impact to operational capability, all it took was some common sense and a pair of balls to brief a plan to the DIVO/DH which was 95% they where happy with.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Laranzu posted:

Because it really takes being able to say "No, we can't do that right now" instead of "Yes Sir" while gargling their balls. It also needs to respected by the highers, instead of having them flip poo poo. This happens at all levels from DH on down. Its a culture shift and those are hard.

Sometimes tasks need to be prioritized and shifted around while expectations get managed.

I've learned one thing as first so far. You can say "No" to people that ask impossible things, just make sure that's not the only thing you have. Have a plan, suggestion, alternative. I don't know what level it stops becoming acceptable to say "No, but here is what we are working with and the timeline."

It's a toxic culture thing we have going for us when even the highest levels of our leadership can not and will not say "No" because it will end a career of hard service. If I ever make it to the higher levels of service, it's one thing I will try my loving hardest not to succumb to.

/end serious navy talk.

Boats are gay, lol if your still in.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Sir Lucius posted:

LOL. I just got a mailer trying to recruit me as a cyber warefare engineer. I haven't even been out 3 months and they want me back?

It's a hail mary pass for recruitment just in case in the odd chance your life sucks outside the navy.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Remulak posted:

Wtf is a Cyber Warfare Engineer? All I can envision is my uncle signing up to be an Engineer in 1969 and ending up chainsawing trees during jungle firefights.

Is it Computer Janitor with low pay and no ability to change jobs? Like an H1-B?

Fancy term for high level computer operator, or paper pusher.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Cerekk posted:

Seriously this entire conversation is like something out of the Twilight Zone for me. I have never actually seen a moboard used outside of Naval Science courses in ROTC. I haven't seen the physical sheets of paper that are used to do moboards onboard a submarine since roughly 2006, and even then they weren't actually used, they were just an interesting relic in an equipment locker next to the teletype paper and the other useless supplies that we never used but still carried because they hadn't ever been rev'd out of the pre-underways. When I asked about moboards out of curiosity on my last submarine, I was told you can't order them from the supply system anymore (a statement which based on this conversation appears to be of dubious truthfulness but seemed plausible enough at the time).

I legitimately can't think of a use for a moboard in a contact management setting. Sensors provide raw data to a centralized contact management system. An operator filters out bad data. The centralized system provides contact information (in intuitive, graphical form) to the OOD, the contact manager, the captain, whoever needs it. It does this for every contact simultaneously and it does it all in much less time than it would take an operator to dick around with a pen and paper in a darkened control room to get CPA information on a single contact.

Am I just missing something? Or has the surface fleet not yet caught up to advanced concepts like "filter out bad data" and "computers can work faster than humans"?

I feel the same way reading this thread, it feels like I'm missing something. Then again, we both came from the same source rating, which is pretty much all contact management and training others about contact management.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

ded posted:

Every skipper of a Sub has been an Engineer at some point. So thats not quite a true statement.

Not always. Either the CO or XO had to have been an Eng for their DH tour, not just the CO or else Weps and Nav would never even bother to screen for XO.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Two Finger posted:

Hull testing

She preformed really well under the circumstances to be honest.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, for it to be true you'd have to have a command triad more concerned with sweeping and high dust than basic safety and mission accomplishment.

I can't count the times I've been under the shaft for field day at sea. :chiefsay:

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Headline: Navy Praises leadership of USS SHILOH over record amount of responses from Command Climate Survey.

(They still only got less than 50%)

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Laranzu posted:

We're sitting at a cool 9% for our directorate.

Maybe 8% overall.

At least this year the URL wasn't something like http://navycommandsurvey.fart/A37b7mmmiIiIImhhrfuckyou753899643246.aspx

Maybe we'll get to 12%.

Oh wait the unclass hasn't worked right for two weeks.

I'm a CTN and I still clicked that link in hopes that it would link somewhere...

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Omfg if I get called to the Chiefs' office and told not to make jokes about dolphin rape in front of the students one more loving time I swear to god, it was like nine months ago, and all I said was that it's racist to assume that all dolphins are rapists. They students were having their own conversation about dolphin rape that I interjected moderation into and I'm never going to hear the loving end of it.

Quoting to save this for future generations of recuits to see, so they nope out of this thread and go join the air force.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

My fish show my current community that I am willing to be subjected to cruel and unusual punishment willingly.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

LogicalFallacy posted:

Good day goons. Thought I'd go ahead and introduce myself here and acquaint myself with the place, as I have just signed up for the Navy. Current MOS is AECF, though I should be getting reclassed as NUC in the next week or so.

I am open to any suggestions or hints on poo poo that's a drat good idea to do/take care of before I go to basic in May.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edit: Go nuke, see the piers of the world as you will never leave the pier to go on port calls.

Null Integer fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 5, 2017

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Blackchamber posted:

Y'all are wasting your time. In the same breath as he said he was sure everyone dumping on the nuke rate was right he was also saying when the paperwork goes through and he's miserable we'd be right to laugh at him. All his replies about it since are him taking a passive role in not loving his life up like 'well I need a waiver so let's see if that happens' or 'maybe the recruiter isn't doing his job of screwing me wholeheartedly' as opposed to 'oh poo poo I better do something about this and tell him I changed my mind'.

Dude is going nuke. Smart enough to be a nuke, not smart enough not to be one.

I encourage it just so we get 6+ years(because you know he is going to reenlist or STAR for 2nd) of his miserable postings, and even more of us linking back to this thread.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

LogicalFallacy posted:

on account of already having signed the "I'm cool with going on a sub" form.

LogicalFallacy posted:

signed the "I'm cool with going on a sub" form.

LogicalFallacy posted:

signed the loving submarine volunteer form

Welcome to submarines!

Now if you fail out of Nuke school, you'll still become a submariner! Did you know that getting out of nuke is still possible if you gently caress up school? Did you know that getting out of submarines is about 100 times harder than that?

Your brother is a loving rear end in a top hat.

-A former submariner that watched the nukes suffer for many years.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

KetTarma posted:

You signed a piece of paper saying that you forever and irrevocably agree to serve on submarines at the needs of the Navy for whatever reason they present you.

If you are, for any reason, unable to complete your contract (including the Navy saying there are too many of you) you can be easily cross-rated into whatever the Navy wants which now includes submarines.

You could literally be in and AECF A school, your chief walks in and says your getting on a plane to Groton, CT in 3 days. It's happened before, it will happen again. You may now rate change ONLY to submarine rates. That paper hosed you. Submarines aren't all bad, there are just a lot more better options out there. Feel free to PM me if you have sub lifestyle questions.

We don't want you to fail or become a statistic, just to inform you that nuke is literally the worst choice you can make when joining the navy.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Vriess posted:

Two. FartSandwiches and I are both instructors.

Also, I don't know why you guys even tried to talk LogicalFallacy out. The Navy Thread must thrive. It can't thrive if no one is Navy. We sacrifice him to the reactor so our thread may live off his pain.

It's for the Greater Good.

When he stops posting. We'll know he went sadbrains. By the way LogicalFallacy, read the sadbrains thread so you know how to handle your future suicidal ideations. We don't really want you to kill yourself. It's just statistically probably you will attempt to do it. Memorize those resources when the time comes so you can get proper help.

Also currently a CTN. I think Laranzu is one too.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's once again a navy thing. Air Force Services literally has people who man MWR/gym stuff for their entire enlistment.

Jesus. If you had that job for even one full enlistment you could get out with at least a master's degree, PhD for two.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Sir Lucius posted:

cryptologic technician networks.

We are hackers (wannabe script kiddies) :)

Government cost saving measure is more like it. Also, it's one of the few rates you could buy a puppy and raise it to an old dog without ever abandoning it to goto sea.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

Hey Navy thread I thought I would ask for your assistance in joining and was wondering on what rate but oops i'm a loving idiot and actually don't want your advice and will actively do whatever the opposite of what you say so please tell me to totally not be a nuke so I can live my dream of being the only special snowflake to love nuke school because my bro who has been in for three years and is basically the mcpon told me it would be great and also gently caress myself because I am the biggest loving gently caress who's ever hosed a loving gently caress.

No for real though logical fallacy maybe go ask your mom if she could abort you right now because thats a better option than what your incredibly stupid loving rear end has signed up for.

EDIT: I expect this approach will work.

I'm just really stubborn and dig my heels in despite common survival instinct and common sense telling me to run the gently caress away. Also I signed a piece of paper that says I really love submarines, like... REALLY LOVE THEM, I hope this won't effect my future changes of becoming a statistic and knowing someone that will become a statistic.

Someone you know and work with will kill themselves at some point, along side with countless people making cry for help attempts only to be ignored or held for a few days before returning to work to a division or school that hates them even more for increasing there workload. Enjoy.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Thank you for service if your still out.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Good thing we just accomplished a multinational disabled submarine rescue exercise. Good luck guys.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A guy at work has a Bad Dragon sticker on his water bottle he carries everywhere. I'm pretty sure he knows what it is, and like hell I'll ever mention it.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

THE US NAVY posted:

“Forged by the Sea”

Time to accelerate my life.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

KetTarma posted:

If it's not a diaper-wearing, elvish speaking furry at a minimum then it doesn't even make my weird-meter twitch.

I've seen things.

This is why carrier nukes scare me. Sub nukes didn't have the room to bring that poo poo underway so it was mostly in port shenanigans, but carrier nukes have storage and room to spare.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Here's the new video with our "New Catchy Tagline" that will last for a generation and not die in 2 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qtAnL3tB5A

We go through mottos like Lenny goes through rabbits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

If that's legit you gotta give it to them for honesty.

It's not. "SNL "The Navy" S4E15 1979"