Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

For a while the Navy was sending almost everyone who failed any A School (MOS school) undesignated, basically a two year “apprenticeship” where you just do bitch work.

Linguist school, nuke school, cyber and SOF schools SEAL/SWCC/Diver are all A schools, so undesignated sailors were either too stupid or immature to get through their entry level training or older super overqualified types who dropped from the hardest schools in the military with no in between.

Being undesignated is also a powerful motivator to do anything possible to get out of the military since it basically torpedoes your ability to do anything besides be miserable with no end in sight for a minimum of two years, since you cannot promote, go to any more advanced training, and unless you’re at a very good command generally receive a generic copy pasted evaluation.

In turn, this makes it then very difficult to do stuff like commissioning programs for the many enlisted with a college degree types who go to those more advanced schools.

Since Navy programs are all about evaluations and command involvement, it’s a bit of an issue since the command won’t “waste” the limited number of good evals they can give on them and they’re generally barred from all that command involvement that are de facto required to look good enough on paper.

Now to the Navy’s personal system they transformed some profesional type who wanted to give it up to be a SEAL or CTN to identical as the dipshit that got kicked out of Corpsman school for trying to stick his dick in the EKG.

It’s an amazing system, very good to see the USMC has its own way to shoot itself and it’s people in the foot repeatedly too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I was an undesignated sailor (I enlisted that way), and while some of your post rings true it is not exactly correct. An A-school drop that gets sent undesignated can absolutely strike for a rating (take the E4 advancement exam for a job - if they score high enough they switch to that job even if they don't score high enough to advance to E4) just like any other undesignated person so long as they otherwise qualify for the rating. Most just take the boatswainmate exam, and BM is a difficult rate to advance in. It is absolutely possible to go from deck to all sorts of special programs, including college programs. I did. I picked up the aviation electronic technician intermediate rate (and the E4 rank to boot) off of the exam, and I got selected for a college program. I will admit I am not your average deck sailor, but still, it can be done.

Deck work is dirty, laborious, and generally low challenge work such as painting and topside preservation. Ships are big hunks of iron sitting in saltwater. Someone has to do the poo poo necessary to prevent and eliminate corrosion. That's your deck sailors. They're the people hanging over the side with a needle gun chipping and painting all day.

Besides the preservation, deck owns the lifelines, mooring lines, anchors, replenishment at sea rigs, and flight deck, and other assorted equipment related to those. All of that stuff requires maintenance and such as well. You're basically constantly working to repair the poo poo the sea damages, and the sea is unrelenting in its efforts.

Deck work is labor - all day. The people in charge of deck are typically morons because most intelligent people test out to a different job. So it's very physical work with dumb people supervising. Not exactly a fun combination. However, it isn't all bad. There is something nice about such a job. You have very defined goals and expectations. You're outside every day working. You're the eyes and ears of the ship on watch, man the bridge, and physically operate the helm (although an officer is telling you where to drive). You get to work with your hands and see the direct tangible results of your labor. That's worthwhile in a world where much work is ephemeral poo poo done on computers.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
More navy in the marines thread :

undesignated sailors in the submarine fleet are the guys that do that same deck work but at sea they are the guys who actually drive the submarine around as helmsmen/planesmen, along with the SK's, YM, and
forward MM's who haven't qualified aux yet.

Also at most on a sub you will have between 0 and 2 undes and when there is zero people from other weapons department divisions get voluntold to do deck.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Last page reminds me of a retention brief I had when I asked our command what their retention strategy is when many of our junior enlisted work for way more on the outside by their first contract, in a state that has legal weed.

Cus the weed ain't stopping.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
The more I think about it, the more I feel like weed is never going to be legal to men and women in uniform. Makes no goddamned sense, but yeah, it’s just never gonna loving happen.

Then again I’d have sounded pretty reasonable saying no Black man with the middle name Hussein is ever gonna be president 20 years ago.

Time makes fools of us all I guess. They’re talking about treating loving crayon eaters with dignity. They’ll realize the errors in their way but it’s going to be funny in the interim.

🖍 is life
🖍 is gooder
🖍 is delicious

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

At least when I was living the life it was a 2 year minimum to strike for a rate that had an A school, which is basically all desirable ones. This meant basically that by the time you graduate from A school and are eligible for promotion if anything went wrong like even a minor NJP you were set to be HYTed automatically.

And at least during the time period I was in during the end of the recession it wasn’t common for A school drops to get a second chance though it did happen. I certainly didn’t.

I think that changed right when I was striking where they finally changed it to one year when finally some admiral realized why a bunch of E3s were getting HYTed out.

My own experience may be different because I spent my entire deck time on a very broken ship in a multi year yard period with what was at best a below average triad. So we did nothing besides poo poo/busy work and qualified on nothing.

Googling it seems like it’s now much less hosed. Still pretty hosed but I think regulations have significantly shorted the time people have to spend and they get automatic promotion into their rate so they can keep up.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 5, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

The more I think about it, the more I feel like weed is never going to be legal to men and women in uniform. Makes no goddamned sense, but yeah, it’s just never gonna loving happen.

Then again I’d have sounded pretty reasonable saying no Black man with the middle name Hussein is ever gonna be president 20 years ago.

Time makes fools of us all I guess. They’re talking about treating loving crayon eaters with dignity. They’ll realize the errors in their way but it’s going to be funny in the interim.

🖍 is life
🖍 is gooder
🖍 is delicious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-CiuiVSHZo

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Just two LCPLs appearing to endorse Trump Wine, one standing outside uncovered and the other with his medals in the wrong order

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1457784990901616642?s=21

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Willing to bet that's even at a ball that just got held. I'm in awe of how dumb this is.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

PathAsc posted:

Willing to bet that's even at a ball that just got held.

That was my very first thought as well

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

The only time I ever took my cover to a ball was when I was too boot to know I'd never need it. There is no place to keep it other than on the floor on in your lap.

Boot Marines posing with booze at the ball is nothing new. I mean maybe they are turbo chud idiots who are think they are clever by drinking Trump wine. Maybe someone who organized the event had the wine put at each table along with the canteen cups in their hands?

Marines are dumb and do tons of dumb things worth complaining about. This just seems like a stretch.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Gunny I’m not complaining, I’m laughing!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Can you even endorse a product in uniform?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Wasabi the J posted:

Can you even endorse a product in uniform?

This was why I found it turbo dumb, aside from the medals being hosed. You def cannot endorse anything in uniform or in the name of the service.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
lcpls gonna lcpl

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Happy Birthday Marines.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Tomorrow is actually Hangover Day in addition to Veterans Day

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Veterans Day with a coat of paint

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

THE DRINKING LAMP IS LIT!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I heard 'the smoking lamp is out' twice in my life: once at SOI and then in the Pacific miniseries. I was kind of surprised the phrase had lasted 60 years, tbh

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Happy birthday you debbils

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
lol actually thinking about it now 20 years ago I was in SOI and probably on some dumb-rear end field op digging mortar pits or some poo poo

I remember for the thanksgiving 96 that year I hiked out to Jacksonville (being an overly-moto boot-gently caress Marine) and got a room at the Liberty Inn and watched the pilot episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm on the free HBO and it owned a whole lot

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Eason the Fifth posted:

I heard 'the smoking lamp is out' twice in my life: once at SOI and then in the Pacific miniseries. I was kind of surprised the phrase had lasted 60 years, tbh

This is how I can tell you never went on a MEU. It's used on ships all the time.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Nope, never did. In a perverse irony, despite my time in the Marines and now working for the Coast Guard, I've never been on any kind of ship longer than a day out whale-watching.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Just the worst kind of sea soldier - one that never goes to sea!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shortly after bootcamp, another boot sailor and I were wandering around downtown chicago in our johnny cashes and some homeless person under a bridge yelled at us "god drat marines. SEMPER FI MOTHERFUCKERS" and it's stuck with me forever.

Happy birthday debil dawgs.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
worst...or smartest? :thunk:

it isn't smartest

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
DEBBA DAWGS

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Were not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. Its destructive to morale.
CO wanted to have us all camp out in a TA for a ball warrior night, even encouraged people to bring camping gear in the L.O.I.

Nope

nopeNopeNope

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://twitter.com/TerminalLance/s...ingawful.com%2F

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

There have been a lot of great posts ITT and in the previous Marine threads about why you should never ever join this stupid-rear end organization but I don't think any of them can top that tweet.

Happy belated Birthday Debbil Dawgs

yert

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

operating

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I got you guys a new tag for the thread

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Raaaad

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

We need the crayon helmet photo for pride month

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Hekk posted:

We need the crayon helmet photo for pride month

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
https://twitter.com/JohnTOCradio/status/1560053808302014464?t=Ytk3gBdknuDgTf7_FRGHSQ&s=19

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Terminal Lance: Insider Threat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
When I ETSd I asked quite publicly as often as I could how recruiting was ever going to compete against legal weed and not shaving and never got a response that just didn't revert to bully logic that only works if you live in their construct.

Always laugh when the college kids don't get how maybe some 20 year old kids might do a drug or two and the thing that really increases that risk is their trauma and work life balance.

That would admit the existence of either so it didn't register I think.