Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This reminds me that I saw a guy spend over 7 months in limbo after finishing AIT because some dentist hosed up his medical records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
We have a limit of 16 hours of continuous absence from EMT side before you are recycled. We had a female recycle today because they took all of her wisdom teeth out two days ago, then basically forcibly medicated the gently caress out of her, and she had to lay on the floor of the Multi-Purpose Room
Of the company (because we don't do quarters in this company). She had no option to have them pulled on a friday, or on separate days or anything. Just "gently caress you lol". It's pretty amazing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
You're going needs of the army, dawg. Which means you'll probably going to a deploying unit.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Your AIT sounds real loving dumb.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Vahakyla posted:

We have a limit of 16 hours of continuous absence from EMT side before you are recycled. We had a female recycle today because they took all of her wisdom teeth out two days ago, then basically forcibly medicated the gently caress out of her, and she had to lay on the floor of the Multi-Purpose Room
Of the company (because we don't do quarters in this company). She had no option to have them pulled on a friday, or on separate days or anything. Just "gently caress you lol". It's pretty amazing.

yo what company you in

Alpha Gators represent

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vahakyla posted:

So, I haven't been assigned a unit yet when I checked my AKO and we got a dumb brief on how we select preferences in AKO if we haven't gotten an assignment yet.

My wife wants Italy. I have Airborne in mu contract, so that leads me to believe that my only end-points with UNAB-contract is basically Bragg, Viscenza, or some Alaskan shithole.

There is no Italy on the OCONUS preference list. I sure as gently caress don't want Alaska, so I tried getting Bragg on the CONUS list, but since there are no other airborne options, I left two other boxes "no preference." Then the system told me that I have to select something.

Out of assignmebt checkboxes, "airborne volunteer" was prechecked, but "airborne duty preferred" was not. Should I check that box?

I am now dumber.

Is there a way to somehow prefer Italy over other options, and should I bother with this stuff, and if so, how?

It doesn't matter. I'm in charge of putting people places and can assure you that we bring in one of those party ticket machines, with names in it, up to the 4 star's office and full bird colonels grab whatever they can for their brigades.

This is a representation of what it looks like:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yo what company you in

Alpha Gators represent

Bravo. Still no PT after HBL, and total of 5 pt sessions in five weeks before HBL.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

Bravo. Still no PT after HBL, and total of 5 pt sessions in five weeks before HBL.

Lmao that you continually get the dumbest units. Wtf.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

No quarters?

What the gently caress.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I don't know why. They just kind drag you with the unit to class room, or sometimes to day room. There are no ways to stay in your room to sleep if you need it. You'll still get into the van to go eat, stand at formation at 0330, and wait outside for everyone to be done, then get into the van to go back to company, then sit at a chair at the day room and wait for the nextdfac formation. It doesn't matter what kind of fever or sickness you have. And if it lasts more than 16 hours consecutive, it's prob recycle time anyway.

I spent my first "quarters" after spending night awake at the hospital, marching to CIF and doing stupid poo poo in this weird stupor and then then the next night had two hour ACG, then stood couople hours at the formation from 0330 until breakfast, then went to class. Our senior PSG just told me that "we don't so quarters here".

Then a month later I spent my dental surgery/narcotics "quarters" sleeping in class room floor at the EMT training building.

Others have had the same stuff. We have weekly someone all hosed up on narcotics after dental appointments bleeding onto their desk and sleeping on their chair and not functioning at the EMT lessons, and get yelled at for sleeping and buddy walked to latrine and back frequently becausr they can't stand themselves.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 7, 2017

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I must have the dumbest luck in the Army because my time in so far has been mostly pretty painless.

The PL I replaced had a horrible handover with the guy he replaced so he went out of his way to make it as easy as possible for me. One day I was told I was heading to a platoon and to starting doing layouts immediately and when I show up he already has a working property book with shortage annexes and TMs and poo poo for me. I was able to do property for an entire stryker scout platoon in about 3 hours, not counting the time it took for the guys to lay it all out.

My commander is probably the best in the unit and offers constructive criticism and teaches you instead of crushing your balls when you make a mistake. I actually worked for him for a few weeks in S3 when I first showed up before he went and took command which is what landed me this platoon in the first place.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

I don't know why. They just kind drag you with the unit to class room, or sometimes to day room. There are no ways to stay in your room to sleep if you need it. You'll still get into the van to go eat, stand at formation at 0330, and wait outside for everyone to be done, then get into the van to go back to company, then sit at a chair at the day room and wait for the nextdfac formation. It doesn't matter what kind of fever or sickness you have. And if it lasts more than 16 hours consecutive, it's prob recycle time anyway.

I spent my first "quarters" after spending night awake at the hospital, marching to CIF and doing stupid poo poo in this weird stupor and then then the next night had two hour ACG, then stood couople hours at the formation from 0330 until breakfast, then went to class. Our senior PSG just told me that "we don't so quarters here".

Then a month later I spent my dental surgery/narcotics "quarters" sleeping in class room floor at the EMT training building.

Others have had the same stuff. We have weekly someone all hosed up on narcotics after dental appointments bleeding onto their desk and sleeping on their chair and not functioning at the EMT lessons, and get yelled at for sleeping and buddy walked to latrine and back frequently becausr they can't stand themselves.

lol wtf

i was there in 2003 and had the time of my life

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Benning is also a TRADOC post and I can't imagine any of that poo poo happening there. If you were sick/hurt you weren't hosed with at all. If you missed 8 hours of training you were recycled however I never actually saw that enforced.

I hated being at Benning but mostly because Columbus was a poo poo heap of a city and should be burned to the ground and erased from the Earth.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Lol wtf is this thread, thank god I don't have to deal with that sort of bullshit anymore.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Hey new AIT dude. I don't know for sure, but I am pretty sure there is some regulation protecting you. I understand it is commanders discretion but that is super hosed up and I'd tell people about this. That is inherently NOT normal.

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.
this kind of poo poo is how you end up developing a disability

you should document everything happening to you from here on out

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Meanwhile I'm getting 30 days of con leave after my upcoming surgery, then 30 days of deadman profile, then terminal leave. Whattup.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
McNally have you called cnn yet

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Pesticide20 posted:

Lol wtf is this thread, thank god I don't have to deal with that sort of bullshit anymore.

i had a 5 day weekend when i was at fort sam for 4th of july

we got a room at la quinta and got destroyed. gave ourselves ivs in the room so we could make it to formation

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

is the hacienda still there

the handjob cinema

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

is the hacienda still there

the handjob cinema

I am pretty sure it got torn down. Now I am not sure where to go if you want to bang in front of other AIT kids without getting a hotel.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

dfac dumpsters it is

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

This might be some sort of bullshit non-thing but when we were waiting for orders at RASP hold I kid you not we were able to game poo poo to get what we wanted. On HRC's site, there is some tab where you can somehow see like pending orders or some poo poo or orders that haven't gone through yet. I saw on there it said Fort Richardson, and I really didn't want to be stationed at the rear end end of civilization no matter how pretty it is up there. There was some lady's number we all passed around who worked at HRC (no idea who found it, or how), I still have her in my contacts for whatever reason, but I no poo poo called her up and talked to her and got it switched to Fort Bragg. The next day, I looked at the pending tab, and it had switched to Fort Bragg.

Believe it or not, but it is true. It's some sort of PNN tall tale that I swear is a real thing that we did. SOMEWHERE there exists real people who can switch things like that around, it's not some sort of 100% pure needs of the army algorithm.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
You intentionally switched from Fort Rich to Bragg :pwn:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

A Bad Poster posted:

You intentionally switched from Fort Rich to Bragg :pwn:

One of the weirdest dudes in my detachment deployed to Africa loving LOVED Bragg.

Why, yes, he was a huge Kool Aid drinker, why do you ask?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Protip: Call your branch manager. They can usually help you out. Especially if you are in a smaller MOS. For the longest time the guys in my MOS all knew the branch manager, all we had to do was call him up and he would fix your orders.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Bragg is actually in a pretty sweet spot, its an hour south of the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill triangle, a couple hours from the beach, and a few hours from the Blue Ridge mountains and Asheville. Not a bad deal if you like to travel on the weekends.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I was born on Bragg and later lived there again while growing up and was determined to never live there again.

My dad was SF and his opinion of the 82nd also kind of influenced my own.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Triggs posted:

I showed up for accountability (I know) during block leave because it fell between my leave and weekend pass.

I raked leaves for two hours. There were still plenty of leaves on the trees.

And I'm an O-3.

(gently caress TRADOC)

This was back on the first page but I still wanna say lol gently caress you sir

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Italy would be awesome for my wife, I don't mind Bragg. I will be contacting my branch manager. Thank you.

Alaska would make me do the thing in the thread topic.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vahakyla posted:

Italy would be awesome for my wife, I don't mind Bragg. I will be contacting my branch manager. Thank you.

Alaska would make me do the thing in the thread topic.

Just going to burst that bubble and let you know all three of those duty stations will make you do the thread title.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Pesticide20 posted:

Just going to burst that bubble and let you know all duty stations will make you do the thread title.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Vahakyla posted:

I don't mind Bragg.

quoting for posterity,

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Fayetteville is nice hehehe

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've noticed this thing where a lot of former military have this idea that places near military bases are nice. "Colorado Springs is nice! Fayetteville is nice! Jacksonville is nice!"

None of the above is true. gently caress military towns.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It's pretty cool to be the sweet summer child of this thread.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

psydude posted:

gently caress military towns.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vahakyla posted:

In two years if we are all lame enough to still be posting here, you will then be one of us.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

psydude posted:

I've noticed this thing where a lot of former military have this idea that places near military bases are nice. "Colorado Springs is nice! Fayetteville is nice! Jacksonville is nice!"

None of the above is true. gently caress military towns.

Monterey is nice

Honolulu's not bad either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Vahakyla posted:

It feels like that was me just recently. Bugging the two posters here who were the same MOS and asking them stupid questions. Now I'm almost a free person again and it's such an uplifting feeling.