Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

TBeats posted:

woobie most overrated TA-50

Mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

DoktorLoken posted:

The silkweights/waffles are great; they're actually made of high quality Polartec or similar fabrics. I wear the long underwear all the time in the winter, who gives a gently caress if they're tan under your normal pants?

The bad memories are enough to never want to wear them again. That can be applied to drat near every piece of gear ever given to me.

"Gotta put on my silks and waffles, because otherwise I'll freeze to death. Oh, poo poo, if I'm wearing them they'll call be a bitch, and they'll tell me to take them off. If I'm not wearing them I'll lose three toes to frostbite and somehow it will be my fault."

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Edit: I'm dumb, and forgot how the army works.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I don't have one, don't care to have one, most likely never going to get one (those odds are drastically higher after today though).

Lots of SOAR birds been flying around tonight.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

lmao what unit is that

It's some national guard unit, I forget which. I know a guy who deployed with them before he went active, and never wears it around here because people keep asking him about when he deployed with I Corps.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Mustang posted:

I'm not going anywhere but YTC and NTC. It could be WW3 and I'm pretty sure we'd still only be doing YTC and NTC rotations.

That's the best case scenario. You probably don't live on post, so you haven't been hearing all of the Blackhawks flying overhead every few minutes. Doesn't bode well.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Mike-o posted:

SOAR dudes getting prepped to go drop off some guys to deep dick some dudes in Syria. Or get deep dicked. Probably both.

Seriously though I was wondering why I was hearing so many blackhawks flying around tonight. I hear one right now in fact.

Yeah, they're definitely SOAR birds. Got a good look at a few of the sorties flying earlier while the sun was still up. Some SOF dudes weekends just got made/ruined based on where they stand on this cluster gently caress.

Edit: Since within 20 minutes of the news breaking and those things flying over I've been drinking.

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 7, 2017

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Was gonna post something about how right that is, but I've got my Katy Perry music video playlist on the TV and that's much more worth my attention.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

My earliest memories of the Internet are of reading photoshop phriday's on the front page before realizing there was even a forum, waiting an hour to load a 5 minute Happy Tree Friends video, trying to "hack" Neopets, and downloading GBA roms. Also remember begging my parents for a WVGA monitor so I could play Apogee games.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Mustang posted:

I'm starting to realize why everyone in the Army has a drinking problem

If it surprises you, then you haven't been paying attention.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Naked Bear posted:

Not very many infantrymen can read.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I just realized something. A whole bunch of my unit, including Mustang, will be at YTC next weekend if/when the government shuts down because they don't pass a budget. :lol: Welcome to hell if that happens.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Does it have something to do with the convoy that's been staged across the street for the past 6 hours?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Haven't heard anything specifically about that, but people around the office have been complaining about their computers an unusually large amount today.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Show up to work drunk with one side folded up and pretend you're Australian.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I bought a set of jump boots when I was in an airborne unit. Never even wore them.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

My first roommate was some cav guy who was forced to spend about half of his first paycheck on that dumb hat, because his unit said everyone had to have one. He did not like me telling him that it looked stupid and that his unit was screwing him.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

"A" is for "All of us are retarded"
"R" is for "Remedial PT"
"M" is for "My knees are destroyed"
"Y" is for "You've got extra duty"

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

That's the story that gave us the :scax: emote, right?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I once saw someone wearing a City Name Sports Team shirt at Ikea. That's the closest I've ever gotten.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

That doesn't sound like the weenie, that just sounds like the regular army bullshit.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

And the band.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Mustang posted:

Why is every loving digital program the Army uses complete and utter dog poo poo. Holy gently caress is DTMS a steaming pile of poo poo. No poo poo it's not up to date, we've spent the majority of the past 4 months in the field so yes BDE, let's make it go home criteria for the weekend literally the day after people get back from Yakima.

gently caress the Army

:getin: welcome to half of my entire job for the last two years. Getting DTMS up to date is a Sisyphean task, but get used to it.

Just be glad we're not in an airborne unit. Having to input every single jump that every single person has ever done, based on their hand jammed jump log. Had a dude with more than 250. His alone took a day.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Woof Blitzer posted:

Next week I'm going to write 1-3 parking tickets for the GSA vans the recruiters drive and keep parking in a no parking zone. It's the same MEPS I swore in at. Small victories...

Be sure to put "Thank you for your service" at the end of each.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Every joint in my body is laughing at you while they punish me.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

When I was in Alaska it was just that thing that you did every three months to get that sweet airborne pay. Snow makes for a good landing. Permafrost is like hitting tarmac.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

Jump School will be the last time jumping is remotely close to "fun".

Wait until 0300 formations for a 1000 jump, only to sit in the Pax Shed until 1400. Then blowing out one knee or both on a Hollywood jump. Or being told five minutes before hook up to avoid the triple strand at Grid Reference gently caress Yourself.

You're missing the part where you're waiting in the shed for 6 hours with your nuts/shoulders being crushed, while having to piss like a Russian prostitute onto the president's face, and then the jump gets scratched, so you have to do the whole thing over again the next week.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I was talking to some random dude here the other day, he was like a PFC who's been in for a year maybe, and he was saying "don't you get like 30% disability just for being airborne?" That's how far the stigma has gotten.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Soulex posted:

I can't wait for the first "my knee keeps popping" posts.

I know I've got less than two dozen on my jump log, and this still applies.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Mustang posted:

Nothing concrete yet but I just found out why we're getting plussed up to 110% strength, a lot of new equipment fielding, money, crazy training optempo, and a push for admin/readiness.

Wish they would give us more, like a location and timeframe, other than post NTC obviously.

Only place I'm not expecting it to be is Korea because it seems they only send ABCTs there and it was just announced that 2nd BDE 1st CAV is going there.

I heard about this too. I'm not deployable though (until the green weenie decides otherwise).

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Genocide Tendency posted:

This is the real reason to join the VFW.

We are about 10 years away from losing the last of them too... :smith:

They really were the greatest generation.

One thing I'm going to regret for the rest of my life is never having the chance to talk to my grandad about his time in the army. He was a Normandy vet, jumped in with the 82nd. I can only imagine his stories.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Seriously. It's like a geode of poo poo. You start on the outer layer as a random 11b, and you look at the guys with airborne wings and think "man, that's so cool". Then one day you reenlist with airborne in your contract, and you spend three weeks at Fort Benning half running around a track before possibly getting killed by some staff sergeant who got that assignment because he is either really unlucky or really likes Georgia. After that you get sent to the 82nd where you will be destroyed by 75 years of historical bullshit and senior NCOs and officers just trying to get promoted, the 173rd where you'll have to deal with a unit that thinks that the cold war is still going on, or 4/25 which for all intents and purposes doesn't even exist. Regardless, you'll find yourself in the same position as someone in a leg unit: overworked, tasked to double poo poo that either should have been done 3 weeks ago or doesn't need to be done for another 3 weeks but you'll have to stay until 1900 to finish, but with the added bonus that in between 6 months and 20 years every single joint in your legs, hips, back, and if you're unlucky your arms, will have become what a doctor describes as "somewhere between a fine paste and a slap bracelet".

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

"What's that sound, First Sergeant?"

"Oh, that? That's the sound of every soldier you're in command of losing all respect for you. "

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Mustang posted:

I've got less than a year to my ETS date, I'd still have like 2 or 3 years left if I was ROTC or a west pointer

Hahaha there's a good chance that we'll be in some of the same outprocessing poo poo together.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

The son of one my family friends just put this up on Facebook:

"Thinking of my grandfather, Capt. [name removed]. He was a doctor with an M.D. from Baylor. He served in the US Army Medical Corps attached to the New Mexico 515th Coast Artillery unit, which, along with the 200th, served with bravery and great personal sacrifice in the defense of Luzon, Bataan, and Corregidor, earning several Presidential Unit Citations. This photo was taken at Ft. Bliss during training exercises before he and his comrades were sent to the Philippines in August 1941. Following the surrender of Bataan on April 9, 1942 and Corregidor on May 6, 1942, he was captured. He survived the Bataan March and was held as a POW at Camp O'Donnell and Cabanatuan Prison until October of 1944. That's over 900 days, which according to what I have read was an extraordinarily long time. He died on October 24, 1944, in the Arisan Maru tragedy. He was 35 years old.

One of Japan's WWII "hell ships", the Arisan Maru was transporting nearly 1800 US and Allied military and civilian POWs, when it was torpedoed by a US submarine. Fewer than 10 prisoners survived. To this day, it stands as one of the largest wartime losses of American lives at sea in history.

My grandfather was posthumously promoted to Major, awarded the Purple Heart for his service, and a Bronze Star, the highest military decoration awarded to noncombatants. He also received a Presidential Citation, signed by Franklin Roosevelt.

The Bronze Star Citation reads:

"Captain [name removed] performed highly beneficial services for his fellow prisoners of war during the historic march out of Bataan, and later at Japanese Prisoner of War camps at Camp O'Donnell and Cabanatuan, Luzon, Philippines Islands, from April 1941 (*) to October 1944. As a medical officer, he zealously cared for the sick in spite of orders to the contrary and severe beatings from his captors. Though exhausted and sick, he distributed smuggled medical supplies where urgently needed, and by his inspiring efforts greatly reduced the suffering of his weaker comrades. "

(*) The citation gets the date wrong. It should read April 1942.

After my grandmother's death, my father found a check for $100 among her effects that my grandfather wrote to someone with a Filipino name. It was presented to my grandmother for payment after the war. The letter that accompanied it explained that my grandfather had written it for black market medical supplies that he managed to smuggle into the prison at Camp O’Donnell.

Of course, I never knew him. My father and my uncle barely knew him. But the loss of him has figured large down through three generations in my family, as has the example of his dedication and sacrifice."

I've known the man for years and I knew that his father died in WW2, but I never knew that he survived the Baatan march, or really anything else about his service.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Army logic: well she's not pregnant anymore, so she can go to the hospital on the back of an LMTV.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Mustang posted:

Bad Poster did you get today off? I know the whole BDE leaves on Sunday but some companies still had to work today.

Yeah, had to earn it by working until like 9 pm yesterday though. Joke's on me anyway, I've got duty Saturday.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Someone was telling me about how they were in a blackhawk flying around off the coast of Hawaii, and one of the guys lost his hold on his M4 and everyone in the back watched as it slowly fell into the ocean. Dude was lucky and they wrote it off as a field loss.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

On the other side of the planet, Mustang and I are in Yakima. Army: Your mileage may vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

TBeats posted:

Which will probably happen but just because we are miserable people doesn't mean we have to rush others into being miserable people.

But that is exactly how the Army operates?