Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Aranan posted:

I should do that. My wife is always cold, even in the Southeast somehow. She made sure our apartment had a fireplace... in Augusta, GA.

Same in Las goddamned Vegas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Soulex posted:

It's easily the best thing to happen in my life besides my wife. The lows aren't so low yet but the highs just keep coming.

Word of advice to anyone, make sure the woman or man you are gonna have kids with is a good match for you. You'll learn how to parent together but if you are always fighting the kids will see and mimic it. It's how I stopped that part of my PTSD. Seeing my kid yell at my wife really made me go "that's from me. I shouldn't be doing that."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You can also apply this to more than your family, it requires a lot of patience and love but I've been happier overall.

Like sarcasm and snark are easy, convincing your friends to follow their dreams, taking time to understand their motivations, and contribute to their happiness take effort.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Thanks for the information comrades!

I feel like some of this stuff might be way too detailed for comedy forums purposes.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Can't smoke a quitter

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

like in the real world not having one is probably great , but if you play the pissing contest of the army it helps. I never cared for that poo poo personally until you tried to piss on my face without one then IDGAF

i wasnt even hardcore grunt by any loving means lmao but don't come at me like you're loving that CSM from We Were Soldiers and you spent 3/4s of you career in TRADOC or USAREC

I liked the slick sleeve E6 instructor we had for premob that told us what it was gonna be like "out there" in Africa, where he hadn't been.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Oh by the way Africa was really easy and chill, the hardest part is joint beauracracy and fighting a lack of mission.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mustang posted:

Some people at work think the same thing but the rumour mill was already pretty strong about a possible deployment after NTC because of the crazy training optempo.

I'll believe it when they actually say "We're going to X."

Also remember that the more nobles begin to speculate, the more the line troops get hosed with and the more they become convinced it is coming.

Some rear end kiss overhears more than one officer talking about it, and it can spiral into some retarded news cyclone.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

mlmp08 posted:

Btw the Army has apparently decided that what *millenials* really need to get through AIT and to be disciplined is drill sergeants instead of AIT platoon sergeants.

Because millenials weren't getting abused enough by addled DIs I guess.

Having been on 2 tradoc heavy bases lately, my DI faith-Meter is low.

AIT should have always remained Drill Sergeants. I thought it was a bit more organized having full-time cadre instead of burnt out MOS-T's trying to wrangle boots instead of going to the barracks and drinking like normal people.

My experience with how AIT works is based off of Ft Gordon during '07 though, so poo poo was already hosed up.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

A Bad Poster posted:

My earliest memories of the Internet are of reading photoshop phriday's on the front page before realizing there was even a forum, waiting an hour to load a 5 minute Happy Tree Friends video, trying to "hack" Neopets, and downloading GBA roms. Also remember begging my parents for a WVGA monitor so I could play Apogee games.

Are you me?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

IDK about ALERTING anyone but keep the prescription handy and let them know when you go to work next or whatever unless you're getting a piss test tomorrow or something

if your chain is tracking a broken bone ER visit i doubt there would be an issue but it never hurts to send an FYI to prevent "I WAS BLINDSIDED" bullshit, but for a legit medical prescription you should be fine but its the army of course

Keep about fifteen thousand copies of that scrip and keep the bottle so that you can tell your CoC if you're getting tested.

If the drug test is incipient, then tell your CoC and show them the scrip right away.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

oh and IMMEDIATELY THROW THEM AWAY after the prescription end date ;)

Yes. Because substance abuse is a serious problem in the military and prescription opioid abuse is an epidemic in the US, with many street heroin users becoming addicted to scrips first before being unable to get more.

(Please do not try to joyride your opioid prescriptions because it is one of the few drugs that can actually make you physically dependant)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

mlmp08 posted:

Similarly, had a junior enlisted soldier get hosed up on cocaine in a hotel room with some strippers. He'd been a pretty heavy coke addict prior to joining. He called his squad leader, said he had a problem, and he wanted help via ASAP. Squad leader and his PL, who I took over for about a month or two after this bullshit, tell him to go to ASAP.

Commander conducts a recall and immediate 100% urinalysis and writes up an article 15.

Long story short, results of entire UA thrown right the gently caress out, including some other unrelated dude who tested positive for coke, no article 15s at all, commander basically called a total moron by an O-6 JAG officer when the commander decided to say he'd like to pursue the charge, even after having it explained like law-101 by a JAG captain.

Some times the weenie fucks you, other days you strap that sumbitch on and gently caress the army back.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jaguars! posted:

Hey dudes who've had the pleasure of taking care of a smokey bear hat or other flat brimmed battle fedora. What's the best way of getting the brim flat.

I have taken step one of not giving a gently caress but at some point I should make sure it doesn't catch attention. Ironing it through a teatowel got the bend out of it but it's kinda up and down a bit around the edge.

If you want a device to hold it flat, you want what's called a 'brim press'.

If you have to use an iron, use a cool setting and low steam, with a pressing cloth in between the iron and the felt (you can get away with using a cotton sheet). High heat and too much steam will turbo gently caress the felt.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 21, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sounds like you got a lack of heart sisu

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MurderBot posted:

I enlisted as a guardsmen and I went back to my home of record for 2 months

Then I went to Iraq

Then college where I proceeded to use my VA fun bucks and played army part time

I was supposed to go to Africa in 2011 but uh lol no stop loss for this guy and gently caress Africa. Although part of me wishes I would have actually gone..

There are worse deployments but Africa was the worst for anyone given an actual task to do.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Rat posted:

I met Deathy Mcdeath once in Rawah. That is, I woke him up after his shift to sat WHATUP or something. poo poo was like 11 years ago at this point.

I have a problem where I associate people with their avatars so much that it kinda fucks me up when they don't look like them.

For instance, Deathy always looks like SGT Chowdown in my minds eye, and HCT looks like Freddy Mercury.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Who doesn't like soft serve?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I bet my representation in your minds eye is flattering. ;-*

The great Gazoo. I'm not even joking. I'm getting probated by a half drunk green Martian.

I don't know what shimazu looked like.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 28, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

J.A.B.C. posted:

Where is my green wienie name tag mods?

1SG came around collecting funds for it, you don't have to have it but if you do want one it's $45 from Grunt Style.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Naked Bear posted:

Ahahahahahahahahaha

Holy gently caress.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
NCOs were forced to lead PT weekly in Africa. I personally had to lead four sessions.

I have leading four yoga sessions as an NCO bullet.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

In what part of the army do NCOs not run pt?

Last time I deployed we largely formed individual plans.

In Africa the teams were joint forces so it was actually on some weird volunteer status that the other services would show up to army PT. Most mornings it was armies doing army PT and navies and airmen sleeping for another two hours.

Most weeks we had a PT day for the whole directorate where you could play Frisbee, football, or futbol. Everyone had to show for that, but another couple of days a week our sections leadership wanted NCO​s running PT for bullet points. It got resisted down to once a week, but it was still worthless army PT that everyone hated.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Oh my God I have a new motor pool prank for newbies.

"Did you test the pull start? It didn't work? Go tell maintenance to fix the pull starter!"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I lost a JSAM due to hosed up systems.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm sorry GiP I have shamed you.

I achieved above minimum in my run this morning.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Still working on my can't breathe VA rating.

Also in national guard news, my unit's first integrated drill with our rear D was an APFT. Our combined unit pass rear is less than 35%. This includes profiles who didn't test.

We're now going to active duty PT standards and re diagnosing failures every month, and recording every 6th.

The optimists of my unit are like, "We need positive reinforcement and off duty PT sessions and NCOs to inspire a culture of fitness."

Someone looked dead at my permanently profiled SNCOs and said, "It's pretty obvious nothing happens to failures for years, so why would they loving try?"

COMPLETELY UNRELATED: No one understands why retention is so awful.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

spacetoaster posted:

Why would a commander include people who didn't even take an APFT in his rollup? That's a noob move. :colbert:

Because if he didn't it would be an even LOWER number of "Pass". Everyone got post-deployment fat, and that's fine, whatever, but the rear-D was already having a APFT fail issue.

Oh yeah, and my command just realized that even if they "toughened up" on the regs for getting slows and fats out, they'd STILL have to wait for 18 months before the first soldier would be chaptered, since it takes three record fails. Again, why would the failing kids even loving try if they have to do additional PT anyway every month, especially if they don't have that much time on their contract?

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 11, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Drummond Bass posted:

Ok thank you, apparently she was able to verify she is in Syria somehow but hasn't been able to find out anything concrete besides a few photos. She did tell me she wants to fly over to visit so I'll advise her what to look out for!

your friend is gonna get kidnapped or killed.

Seriously any time someone claims to be military assume it's either unimportant or bullshit, because nearly the entirety of military service is unimportant bullshit.

Also tell your friend to nut up and get a real relationship because long distance is for people who are insecure babies that can't face the more complicated aspects of a relationship (this isn't counting people in existing relationships, or meeting someone online, but your first contact shouldn't be "oh actually I'm somewhere I can't talk or see you). That is textbook catfishing 101.

God that's so loving dumb if you're not trolling LMAO.

In short:
Don't date military dudes
Don't long distance date
Don't go to loving warzones

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 17, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Your friend needs to be told in the least delicate way that they are making a bad decision for no immediate gain and a lot of potential loss to likely include death or fraud.

If it really is a deployment they'll be back in a year or dead, so they can wait.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sounds like y'all should've stayed in the rear like me :smug:

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to the burn pit registry because my 2 mile talked by 3 minutes in 9 months.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mustang posted:

I'm hoping it's Afghanistan or something but only because I'm a slick sleeve combat arms retard

No one cares about your sleeves, sir.

They care about you covering their asses. HTH.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
In the Army Now is a loving documentary and I will not be convinced otherwise.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

I got to hold one once when i went to an AT in japan

that was cool

Durrhurr hey there troop that weapon looks a helluva lot further than arm's length train like you fight hwuh?

*Shuffles rear end into TOC, pretends to know dick about cigars, buys a coin, does nothing, awarded bronze star*

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

redneck nazgul posted:

Looking forward to the intel sperg version which is a video of a guy crossing some turnstiles before being tackled by security guards and the video cuts out abruptly.

Intel Sperg version goes to home with smoking hot roommate, doesn't question their excitement to talk about Joe's day at work.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Genocide Tendency posted:

I spent time in audio/video editing in college.

So if you want to do something, Im cheap. Just need food and a place to crash while filming.

Because I really want to have my name all over that when someone at the Pentagon sits down to watch it.

Same here; I have some experience with writing and direction too, not that it lacks any impact already.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

mlmp08 posted:

Vaha is a guy I clown on a lot but he's a good, if overly optimistic, dude. I bought him a pizza once.

He strikes me as like the typically optimistic Euro bro that emigrated here because <country> is getting too lame, weak, or communist, and gets away with whatever here, as Americans are typically a bit forgiving of ~the right kind~ of immigrants with weird habits.

Which I totally support.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

psydude posted:

American Rednecks can only hope to be 1/10th as hardcore at redneck activities as the Finns are.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Get muscular and your shoulders won't hurt from side sleeping. (This isn't a "you're a weak bitch"post, it was more of a "I didn't realize it till I put on some muscle mass.")

Or get a better pillow/bed. I love my Yogabed.

And putting a pillow between your legs is actually really good for spinal alignment and back pain.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Just a reminder if you need to get a whole company to do their Cyber Awareness training (the long video game annual one) without pencil whipping or cheating, they can take the test here without watching the videos.