Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Is there any global hostility situation where any of you would willingly go back in? I feel like if something truly heinous and totally clear-cut happened I might, but it's equally hard for me to imagine that kind of Nazis-have-taken-France situation happening again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Vahakyla, go to that loving board.

My greatest hope for this forum is that this dumb group of sadbrain assholes, myself included, can occasionally be a discretionary tale for others. When every person in this thread is telling you to do something, just do it. We're not loving with you. We have nothing to gain. We just want your time to be better than ours.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

in like 98 my time was spent talking on some david bowie IRC and buying bowie records on ebay before pay pal with cashiers checks from the bank across the way fromthe DQ i worked at.

poo poo was legit though I miss that

You miss it because the whole internet was different. Only big-time nerds could get online and it made everything a million times more civil. A dude might be an rear end in a top hat, but he was harmless.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

A Bad Poster posted:

When I was in Alaska it was just that thing that you did every three months to get that sweet airborne pay. Snow makes for a good landing. Permafrost is like hitting tarmac.

September jumps were the loving worst. Frozen ground but no snow. We'd always get a handful of nasty injuries.

And then a year later we'd do it all over again, having learned precisely nothing, because look at what thread you're in

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
I can't find it anymore but there's a great video of dudes on some COP in RC-East getting a JPADS drop, and the thing allllllllmost hits right on target until it misses just enough to land at the bottom of the loving valley.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

Triggs posted:

10 days from a BDE CPX and we still don't have an OPORD, S3 is great!

Stay in too long and you'll become what you hate.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

Naked Bear posted:

Now that I'm remembering things, one of those memos was no combat shirts or dirty uniforms in the DFAC, because that's exactly what you do when you want to piss off an entire troop of cav and infantry guys who actually work for a living, unlike your own fat, miserable rear end. Don't care if you made it back just in time to catch the rear end end of chow, you ain't coming in. Obvious solution: have dudes pick up an entire platoon or troop's worth of to-go plates before we get back. You can imagine how long that lasted before they put a limit on the number of to-go plates that could be picked up at once, and only with a signed memo from the CO stating the number of plates and the reason why those soldiers could not just eat in the DFAC. :wtc:

Being told, "Sorry, you can't eat here, you're very dirty from the war, and you're still in your war clothes," was the moment I realized Catch-22 wasn't fiction.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
I'd take one as a second command if it's a chill unit, but gently caress doing an HHC as your primary if you're planning on staying in. Suffer on staff until something better comes along. Or find/create incriminating photos of your branch manager.

e: And only a BN HHC. gently caress a BDE HHC. It'd suck rear end trying to wrangle an O-6 into doing his loving flu shot.

iKon fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 18, 2017

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
If you think it may be your only command it's 100% worth it to hold out for a line unit. Broadly speaking, command of a line unit will probably be your last time actually leading soldiers, because what's after that? Battalion command, MAYBE, a decade or more later? gently caress that. Take a line unit then get out or find a sweet functional area.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Appeals court rules Bales still a war criminal despite his malaria-drugs-made-me-crazy defense.

Wasn't someone in this guy's unit?

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

Ashmole posted:

I'm getting a super early command because a lot of captains refradded. Should let me do a vtip earlier now

Ask another commander in your BN/BDE who they know and enjoy working with at JAG, then put that person's number on speed dial. 90% of your problems will come from 10% of your soldiers, and a good JAG person is invaluable when it comes to figuring out what you legally can and can't do with those 10%. Also, totally loving inexplicable behavior will pop up that you never could have imagined, and it's great to have a legal guru for those situations to give you a basic lay of the land before reacting.

Also, if you treat your soldiers like adults they'll go out of their way to look out for you.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
keep going Mustang I'm almost there

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
I’d feel like a real dipshit if I, as a non long-tabber, wore a green beret around Benning. On the other hand, gently caress you if you’re still in.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Start reading up on and practicing your knots. They've got the training materials online.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/957271004690214912

https://twitter.com/CENTCOM/status/955884282509234182

we are never ever leaving

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

Mustang posted:

officer of the quarter board

from the top of my long rear end hair to the bottom of my depleted uranium filled lungs, gently caress you if you're still in

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Needs to be the first post in every "should I join the army?" thread.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
I wish I could go back in time and urge myself to give less of a gently caress.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Please change hat to OCP and put in OP of all army threads going forward tia

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Uh hey geniuses, if we eliminate good old fashioned haaaAAaaarmy training that certainly contributes to catastrophic long term readiness issues along with excessive medical cost, how the heck are we supposed to measure heart?

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Was anyone else’s scout experience Jesus-y as gently caress? It’s not like I grew up in the Deep South, but even still I dropped scouts after a few years because I got tired of all the praying.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
If I remember right the dude running that site was a Signal warrant, which makes total sense if you’ve ever met a Signal warrant.

e: psydude with the info snipe

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Every September in Alaska we’d jump onto frozen but snowless ground, break a million legs and ankles, then do it all again the following September.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

spacetoaster posted:

Just use a magic 8ball.

Check out the guy that did ILE.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
CJ Chivers, who won a Pulitzer for his piece "The Fighter," wrote a new book. An adapted chunk is in the NYT Magazine, and it's an excellent long read: War Without End.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
The new PT test seems like a pretty good measurement of someone's fitness, which is great, that's what a test is meant to do. But el to the loving oh el at the idea of the Army:

- teaching people how to SAFELY trap bar deadlift
- changing the fitness/PT culture so that everything involved in that series of movements now has training priority
- telling people with profiles to get hosed

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic and this is the first step in a long overdue shift to actual combat readinessahahahahaahaha

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

maffew buildings posted:

We aren't that component I'm afraid

Pretty good thread title.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

Mustang posted:

Can someone explain to me why working through a 4 day to get our OR rating back up is so important it can't wait until Tuesday.

Because Powerpoint and Excel completely crippled the officer corps' ability to think independently.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Your recruiter will administer an APFT and the results will go in your board packet. If you don't pass then your recruiter will probably tell you to go work on your fitness for a few months because there's absolutely no reason for him to bring a packet forward with a guy that can't pass the APFT.

If all this sounds stupid or arbitrary, the Army is not for you. I'm not joking.

iKon fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
If you are not extremely chill as an HHC commander you’re going to have a bad time.