Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
A mount is like 30 bux, and the rhino arm is like 70$, and if your goggle doesn't come with it, , J-arm is like 20$ more.

Back in the Finnish Army we had dudes, both concsripts and pros buying the mounts and arms on ebay with these huge stacks of 10-20 per box from Ebay before the US ITAR laws got more stringent, because it was so drat common to get the drat device but nowhere to mount it, and that 120$ was worth it. They'd just sell them forward in the barracks.

And some of the idiots returned the to the armory because some dudes got issued ones with some american price tags, lol.

I even still have mine complete set somewhere in my house, it'd be hilarious to not get mounts issued one day here in the US and bring the same loving kit that was meant to avoid bullshit in a different army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Is a five mile run a requirement for Airborne School?

My contract states "the ability to run five miles in under 45 minutes". However, a bunch of people say they didn't do such thing.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So, I haven't been assigned a unit yet when I checked my AKO and we got a dumb brief on how we select preferences in AKO if we haven't gotten an assignment yet.

My wife wants Italy. I have Airborne in mu contract, so that leads me to believe that my only end-points with UNAB-contract is basically Bragg, Viscenza, or some Alaskan shithole.

There is no Italy on the OCONUS preference list. I sure as gently caress don't want Alaska, so I tried getting Bragg on the CONUS list, but since there are no other airborne options, I left two other boxes "no preference." Then the system told me that I have to select something.

Out of assignmebt checkboxes, "airborne volunteer" was prechecked, but "airborne duty preferred" was not. Should I check that box?

I am now dumber.

Is there a way to somehow prefer Italy over other options, and should I bother with this stuff, and if so, how?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So my first unit of assignment says "UNAB", I thought that meant that you'd end up in an AB unit, and school of airborne meant having Option 4 in your contract.

I was silly to assume that them giving us a briefing on it would mean it mattered. I am
hilariously naĆ­ve and not cynical enough about the US Army yet but we are getting there.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I checked ERB, there is an empty space above my Medic AIT unit.

So basically I have no real way to prefer Italy in any meaningful way?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

Let the record show I told you not to enlist.

I am allowed to be an idiot, I am US Citizen nowadays.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
We have a limit of 16 hours of continuous absence from EMT side before you are recycled. We had a female recycle today because they took all of her wisdom teeth out two days ago, then basically forcibly medicated the gently caress out of her, and she had to lay on the floor of the Multi-Purpose Room
Of the company (because we don't do quarters in this company). She had no option to have them pulled on a friday, or on separate days or anything. Just "gently caress you lol". It's pretty amazing.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yo what company you in

Alpha Gators represent

Bravo. Still no PT after HBL, and total of 5 pt sessions in five weeks before HBL.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I don't know why. They just kind drag you with the unit to class room, or sometimes to day room. There are no ways to stay in your room to sleep if you need it. You'll still get into the van to go eat, stand at formation at 0330, and wait outside for everyone to be done, then get into the van to go back to company, then sit at a chair at the day room and wait for the nextdfac formation. It doesn't matter what kind of fever or sickness you have. And if it lasts more than 16 hours consecutive, it's prob recycle time anyway.

I spent my first "quarters" after spending night awake at the hospital, marching to CIF and doing stupid poo poo in this weird stupor and then then the next night had two hour ACG, then stood couople hours at the formation from 0330 until breakfast, then went to class. Our senior PSG just told me that "we don't so quarters here".

Then a month later I spent my dental surgery/narcotics "quarters" sleeping in class room floor at the EMT training building.

Others have had the same stuff. We have weekly someone all hosed up on narcotics after dental appointments bleeding onto their desk and sleeping on their chair and not functioning at the EMT lessons, and get yelled at for sleeping and buddy walked to latrine and back frequently becausr they can't stand themselves.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 7, 2017

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Italy would be awesome for my wife, I don't mind Bragg. I will be contacting my branch manager. Thank you.

Alaska would make me do the thing in the thread topic.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It's pretty cool to be the sweet summer child of this thread.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
We had some really pissed off 1st LT doing AIT bedcheck as the duty watch and he was doing same poo poo in a different company the night before. So sounds like someone is on a punishment tour. It's a cruel fate chasing fireguard at night, though.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 14, 2017

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

do the drill sgts still do bedcheck

we'd all strip for ladies night

AIT Sergeants do them everytime and act as duty NCOs, so seeing a 1LT do them was reilly weird

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Okay so in 68W AIT the most people recycle, reclass, or chapter out during the test week, which is for us the coming week.

You'd think having some time to study would be nice and beneficial for everyone. Nope. Breakfast formation and breakfast took 3 hours. We got back into rooms at around 0950, and next formation is 1100 for lunch, but you have to be 15 minutes early. That'll also take roughly 2-3 hours, as will dinner.

A mile long march to DFAC, plus only 2 lines out of 8 open on the weekend, and every company hitting it at the same time means that despite only having 10 minutes to eat, you will stand outside the company for an hour, then march, then wait for an hour for three companies to go through, then go through and quickly eat, and then form outside, and march back.

It's kinda hilarious in how 6-8 hours of the day is spent in eating related activities. You would imagine letting people study on the last weekend would help. I'm all set, but more than 50 people have already dropped, and 92 failed the last test while managing to keep their GPA high enough.

Having notes in formation is "unprofessional."

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 14, 2017

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Today I heard the dumbest thing I've heard in AIT.

There is a poo poo ton of waiting at the DFAC here like I've bitched in this thread, but today we watched when delta company took forever because they only used less than half of the serving lines in the building. Our PSG asked their's why and the dude said "it's our company policy that they have to earn the right to use all lines in the DFAC".

It's not like they were avoiding short order with fast food, they were also avoiding half of the main order lines. They literally go slow in an already jam packed DFAC. While one company is in line, no other company can proceed to the empty ones either.

I am amazed. 400 privates through 2 serving lines takes a while.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
This one just blew my mind. What's the benefit of this? It's like someone is actively trying to make this fuckign DFAC be the center of AMEDD schools. No loving, this one single Air Force DFAC is where most of the Army AIT spends their time all day and all weekend. Not class or studying.

Do they get their contractor money based on attendance and lenght of stay or what?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

psydude posted:

Well if you were in between 1991 and 1998 it apparently entitles you to talk about how pussified our military has gotten over the last 16 years and how Donald Trump is going to make it great again. So that's something.

Obviously I just enlisted but it's pretty funny how the generation of post-Gulf peacetime Army vets tries to rag on the generation that basically deployed to shooty shooty wars from 2001 all the way to like yesterday.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
My favorite AIT thing has been Active people always counting days already to their ETS and leaving AIT and whatever they count for, and how around HBL it started sinking in that a good third here are actually going home after AIT. They feel like people are legit cheating, getting the army experience and still going home. It was like some giant ruse hd a rug pulled under it, hah.

If you could switch to NG during AIT, there'd be no active duty Army.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Soxorz posted:

Vahakyla, you should try and get a flight medic slot before you leave AIT. You get Paramedic/Flight paramedic certs and get to live the good life in aviation. We had one dude fresh out of AIT in our class and he did fine.

Haven't ruled out going for some of the available slots. The decisions are made in a month.

But I have an airborne contract, I kinda wanna do summadat grunt poo poo.
Though aviation would be cool, good, and chill.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I got weeks to think if I wanna go to that board. There's like 20 dudes with pre reqs, there's ten slots, and out of the pre-req filling dudes and dudettes, we got like total of 15 interested ones.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Okay I'm going to talk to my PSG on monday.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
What happened to having the commander, and his adjutant officers, like in the real armies?

(Finnish)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I actually don't know fully the name of comparable positions, but nordics don't have these weird super senior NCOs.

Overall the PL fills a lot what PSG here does, and XO does a lot what 1SG does here. Officers do more stuff with the dudes overall.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So after my combat medic training, I've been told it can be around 40-60 credits, depending where you go to. What is the quickest way for me to hack at a degree, when commissioning is my goal?

So presumably, the degree won't matter much.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The board is on 8MAR and I have a retarded 28 page study guide of the most boring bits of UCMJ and other regs.

Ugh.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I don't even understand why such chance to be a flight medic should be about the Army Song or collar insignia, but oh well, I guess I'll loving do it.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Imma just bitch a bit. Honestly it'd be a pretty awesome opportunity, as established.

I wonder how much they'll actually ask about all this, and how much of it will be about random stuff/trivia. Never been to any board here on my dashing six months of enlistment, so I'll just wing it and memorize this booklet a bit before bed. I got like bit less than three weeks.

And if I don't get it, I'l still be all Airborne Hooah.

(I actually like the Army and don't regret anything besides not waiting for Infantry slot)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Motherfucker I'll sing that so hard that spit flies out. I am tone deaf and got terrible singing voice, but I yell real loud.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Like said, I like being the summer child of this thread.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
This one seems to be fairly hard. I know the board for our basic was a collection of rednecks, but this board has everyone with plus 88% asvab percentile, and pretty squared away dudes with plus90% GPAs and recommendation letters from the instructors whom are flight medics.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

TBeats posted:

Is it a promotion board? Or a sotm board?

Because if it's a sotm board lmao

Flight Medic slot out of AIT.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I yell really loud and with confidence every morning when I have no clue how many people are present in my platoon. I go loud as gently caress, but I probably need to titrate the volume to the inside level.

My PsG informed me to walk in and pee on everyone like I own the place. Seems like gold advice.

Is it better to be confident and answer wrong, or to loudly inform that I will find out?

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 22, 2017

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I've always thought that it's for the better that those soldiers are in the army. There are always enough tasks and jobs for special troopers, this way they'll get bennies and paycheck.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Recruiters are unironically awesome.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
You could wear a super tight PACA-style vest under it, it makes for a cozy combination with more free movement. It's pretty tackleberry though.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
On current deployments, aren't shavers on a quicker access than gas masks?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
That's what I mean. In case the masks are ever dug out, you can just shave on the way to your duffel bag. It seems like a bullshit excuse, it's not like people are in full MOPP-preparedness out there nonstop just waiting to fight in gas.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

TBeats posted:

VC is vehicle commander. Vehicle commander is the person in the passenger seat who is usually the highest rank in the vehicle.

There's no way PV2 dipshit is going to be a vehicle commander.

WELL YOU SEE IN FINLAND the VC of an APC or IFV can be a private easily while officers ride in the back, and why not?

I'm not being facetious, so if an infantry squad boards hops into their APC, their highest ranking member can't just overtake the command, or what? Shouldn't the VC/TC be someone who is tied to the vehicle all the time? What good is a VC bouncing around in the mud if the vehicle has to move?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
On other news, remember when I whined in this thread about wanting to go to Italy as my AB option and you guys told me I'm poo poo out of luck but I might as well email my branch manager?

Well today she respnded, months later. She decided to help me, and my ERB projects Caserma Ederle 173rd in there.
I loving nearly died, as did my wife. So thanks for the advice, sometimes the Army does you a nice.

The board was today, so I'll know later about that flight medic stuff results, but now I can go to Italy to do summadat grunt poo poo while my wife cruises with the Mustang along the mediterranean.

:feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So where can I find the six letter unit codes? My 173rd sub unit is "WARJ1A" and Googling points out it is "one of the 173rd units". I am like well yes, but which one?