Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Well, gently caress capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

J.A.B.C. posted:

Out in Estonia the tankers gave us some interesting advice: yeah, sure, the turret is warm. But set up a little tent on the back of the tank, right above the engines, and you're set. And there's enough room for more than one person.

We also learned camo techniques from those guys. They could make a BMP practically disappear into the woodline, it was like some sort of nature magic and it freaked out our scouts to no end.

Camoing IFVs and MBTs and other equipment was like the most bog standard grunt skill taught everywhere in the Finnish Army, but seems like some long lost arcane art in the US Army. It's weird seeing woodlines full of humvees and LMTVs with half of a net thrown over the hood or something, observable for miles. And it's not that it is hard, or demanding, or anything. It just feels like there isn't organizational will to do it, at least from my narrow observation. It just doesn't seem like anyone particularly cares about camouflaging the convoy or anything like that in the box.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 29, 2018

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Just spent like a month in JMRC and liked it, wassup. Like a big LARP. Home tomorrow, maybe.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
We come here like four-five times a year. Never had chamce to jump in but dealt with a mascal due to lovely LZ this time.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Yeah but to fair none of my previous jobs really allowed ”hey going to buy car insurance”, ”hey my wife needs me to pick up the kid today”, ”hey I gotta have my household goods delivered” as unaccounted excuses from work, and they didn’t have four day workweeks, either. I just did spend 30 days gone with no extra pay, but still, there are some nice upsides that definitely only materialize at CEO or high-level manager level in normal jobs.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Teacher depends a whole lot, though. My wife as a teacher in South Carolina could be toiling for not much more than 25,000 a year, and live on a razor's edge all the time depending what school district she is in. She noped pretty hard out of it really quickly, opting, by her own free will, to work at a nice restaurant downtown as a waitress, having better hours and roughly double the pay.
Her classmate works at a school in Dorchester County, Or Beaufort, I forgot, and due to budget shortfalls had her pay reduced by two dollars an hour...
...from 16 dollars. Her classroom is like 40 loving kids running around, so it's more of a damage control than anything resembling teaching or pedagogic growth. In addition, the meme about purchasing your own supplies isn't a joke, but a necessity if anything from this millenia is needed in the classroom. The arts teacher was sent packing since she wasn't "necessary".

Kinda like my unicorn awesome experience in the 173rd with 6 hour workdays and constant fourdays is pretty sweet, but doesn't really match up with Mustang's experience, so is teaching in America such A Thing where you might be cozying it up, or getting hosed on the reg from left and right.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 5, 2018

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
A good idea to ask a real doctor, too. At least every one in SC is a total snake oil salesman.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Right now the enlistment shortfalls seem pretty high, i do do not know of officer side though. However, it seems like if you have planned to do it, now it is the time to make Army Recruiter your bitch, and get what you want.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Thump! posted:

The best part about the tinnittus is my medics STILL don’t have any goddamned earpro

They just never have the poo poo

Oh and my new smaj have a brief to the squadron before we set out for our current little 20 day field problem and said, and I quote “Were going to kick the asses of those airborne faggots!”

The SCO looked pretty mortified, which is a good way to start things.

That's bullshit. You can easily order it throught he medical supply and they are being lazy. I have a janitor's closet full of boxes and I literally hand them out like a fairy. I got three sizes and two manufactures. Any medic who says they don't have them is a lazy gently caress, or their PSG is a lazy gently caress. In addition, getting cheap active ear pro also isn't hard. I think the regular size, OD green Howard Leight active earpro muffs are a whopping 45 dollars and available for order from supply, and discretionary medical platoon supply can be in the tens of thousands of dollars. I am not super versed in the process if it is different elsewhere, but the current hearing conservation program in the Army is actually pretty good, and it's line medical platoons, or company level asshats who are the main stop point. My "hearing chain of command" in Army Europe is awesome, and as a group project we just got Invisios X5's to a lot of units without them even asking, but they go unused. In 2CR the response was like "no way we are gonna give these to joes, they are expensive", and some other units went full retard and made the joes sign for the expendable ear foams for them, causing no one to use them because of course they can't keep track of the loving foams, because their chain of command doesn't understand expendables versus durables.

(yeah I volunteered for the hearing conservation thing, it is really cool and it's sweet to take part in the change)

TLDR lots of people are fighting this good fight and there's a lot of promise, at least in USAREUR because I've taken part in it and in 173rd there's earpro coming out the rear end and nose right now. If nothing else, contact the Audiologist, usually a CPT or MAJ as the lowest, in your command, and explain what's happening. They have a lot of pull, and lots of magic tricks to make earpro appear.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 5, 2018

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I’m at Edelweiss Lodge and Resort on an Army paid trip. It’s pretty fucken sweet place and Zugspitze is gorgeous.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Soulex posted:

Yup. Been there more times than I can count. Go to the Partnach Gorge if you can.

We want to but might run out of time. Summiting Zugspitze tomorrow with train. We are already planning a longer trip here to see the Partnach Gorge, and my wife hasn’t seen Neuswchanstein Castle either.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
On an Army bus back home from Edelweiss Resort and in the bus there is a ”FuckTrump” wifi signal.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Tomorrow’s PT is combatives with Rest of HHC vs S1.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
ASUs are cool because they are for honoring loving the Confederates up. Also they look nice for fancy purposes, but suck for office wear.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The tradition of loving newer guys goes strong.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I have a weird duty. I am to guard An Important Room for the brigade at An Important Location.

Tools given: a cot. My orders were to sleep in front of door so I can wake up if someone tries to get in. I get relieved in 12 hours.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

mods changed my name posted:

did the arms room alarm system go out?

Nah. Ruined lock elsewhere. It’s a sweet gig with a Nintendo Switch.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
We already get a regular day off for any holiday or weekend duty. It makes it pretty chill to volunteer for duties, especially since weekend and holiday duties are allowed to go hog wild with computers or gaming devices. I don’t mind them at all.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The ending for the german movie Stalingrad that came out in 1993 hosed me up so hard. In the end, I guess it was a good movie but I can't even really think about watching it, far less watch it again. It hosed me up in my teenange years, and still causes anxiety.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 5, 2018

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Yeah Army owns still. We did like two back-to-back LARPs in the backwoods and then I've just been doing motorcycling lately. Nothing new to update.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
No because my overprotective leadership is preventing me from jumping for at least one more month. Though they have been amazing the whole way, so can’t really complain. I did hurt during LARPing in the woods due to my body armor, but the pain was tolerable.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
This is why veterans who cut all ties do so great in civilian life.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Get your IRR paperwork ready, bois.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Aight bois, wish me luck, I did BAR; fought to get cleared, poo poo's all done. I jump tomorrow morning to the dolomites. poo poo is gonna rock.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Yeah caused by the last jump but that was year and two months ago.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I have landed and retain full control of my bladder and bowels. Feels nice.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

EBB posted:

good job high speed you missed the dz and landed in the marine corpse thread

Never jump with red light.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Is Mustang still in the Army?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
In Italy, the safety office prohibits high viz vests because you are ”a target”.

However, the vehicle inspection office uses other standards so you have to ride to inspection with your viz in your pocket, put it on, but before you leave the inspection they make sure you take it off again because poo poo’s not allowed to be used.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Quick question marines should I have crayons on me when I jump into D-Day celebration on the 6th?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Okay if I should wipe out at a DZ, shouldn’y I do it at 75th D-Day anniversary?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Plus stripper implies she gets paid. U good 2g fam.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I thought ”With the old breed” is a little clunky to read, and not very well written. It has good content, but would have benefited from a more skilled writer.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Naked Bear posted:

e: and in all likelihood he'll still "voluntarily" get vaccinated anyway.

I imagine there's some of this. During my enlisted time as a medic in the Army, I saw several flu shots and various other vaccines being administered in circumstances of questionable consent. I don't know how common it is, nor how it appears in other branches but yeah, I don't think there'll be truly that many non-vaccinated people remaining in the ranks after some time. One way or the other. Now in Air Force ROTC, the hammer is dropping and cadets who are not yet contracted or have not done field training have been informed that they are to "ensure compliance", lest coming back from Christmas break might not happen. Similar threats are for contracted cadets who are not yet on active duty.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 3, 2021

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
AF already discharged some trainees.

https://www.airforcemag.com/air-force-covid-vaccines-trainees-airmen-discipline/

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I have a deployment limiting condition. No, I won’t disclose it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

TheWeedNumber posted:

wow I heard stories about you but can’t believe you’re real! Did you really tell the XO to suck the cum out your flaccid dick on the quarterdeck coming back from liberty that one time?

Not just the XO. Technically the whole ship through the PA system.