Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

My grandpa died while I was in Basic. Found out on a Sunday morning phone call that he only had a couple days to live. I told my DS, and she gave me the rundown on Red Cross messages. They received it about an hour later, and a couple DS' from another platoon tracked me down to get the details.

They asked me if he was in loco parentis. I said no, but he was like a father to me. They asked me where I felt I needed to be, at BCT or with my family. I said with my family. They nodded and left.

A couple hours later I was on a plane home. He held on longer than expected, so I got to stay the entire week. Coincidentally, it was the one week of BCT with no mandatory graduation requirements. Thanks grandpa!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Kempo Yellow Belt posted:

yes

and i no poo poo want those days back

You can go to AT for me then. It's my first time in five years and it's with my old unit, who I don't even belong to anymore. Good times!

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Mike-o posted:

If this is Cold War 2.0 and Putin and Trump are gonna shake hands in the end then can we get some rad 80's synthpop and hair metal please? I'm old and I hate new things/music.

Retrowave is already a thing. Fire up Gunship, The Midnight, Com Truise, Dance with the Dead, FM-84, Timecop1983, etc.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

My old unit was set to deploy to Iraq in 2010. We went up to Dix and did pre-deployment training. Near the last day the XO brought us into a conference room and told us we'd been offramped, so we went home. Good times.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

did they still have the fake fobs in the woods

They still do as of two weeks ago

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Triggs posted:

I think I've hit peak staff life. My boss actually encourages everyone to leave by 5 every day, lets me manage my own time, and is an all around good dude. I have two majors who help handle the S3's calendar so I can actually focus on my job.

BDE staff is waaaaay better than BN staff.

It's almost like the less you have to deal with Soldiers face to face the better life is

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Realtalk for a sec: I had a pretty poo poo weekend (had to cut a close friend out of my life for a while). On top of that it's been rainy as poo poo, which hasn't helped my mood. I dragged myself to work today, and get this message from one of my Soldiers: "I appreciate you, you looked out for me when the rest of the world was attacking me and I could not have gotten through this without your help."

So uh, on rare occasions Army ain't so bad?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Just a random Army lol I remembered: the time our supply sergeant, who was Asian, wore a "Stereotypes save time" t-shirt to our EO class and got yelled at by the BDE CDR

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

General: *spends 15 minutes talking about how he wants to know the real, no-bs reason why something is the way it is on USR*

Some moron Colonel: "can we get boilerplate comments for this?"

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Can we just call them Power Tops?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Kaliber posted:

Active shooter at Fort Stewart by CIF.

Odds he got turned away over a "dirty" piece of gear trying to clear?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Our UA just sent out a list of people that’re required to take a PT test this weekend because they’re either over 12 months old or failed within the last 12 months. He also says that “those on the list WILL NOT BE GRADERS”.

The list has literally every NCO and Officer on it.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Pesticide20 posted:

I will offer my services as a grader

thank you I will have our NCOIC Skype you at 0730 Saturday

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Went in for a PHA today and at the end the doc thanked me for my service and said that those NFL players should stand for the anthem. I replied that it was their right so I don't hold it against em. He just said oh and then I left. That is my Army story of the day kthx

Temp dog tax:
https://m.imgur.com/LRRoMHS?r

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 11, 2017

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I transferred to one of my downtrace units about six months ago because it’s literally next door to where I work and it beat the five hour drive each way for drill.

USARC came out with a new policy this summer (SMAPP) that outlines reclassing soldiers into critically short MOSs, and for a few of them they’ll use the reclass school in lieu of NCOES. I inquired about it and my UA did an RFI. Higher (my old unit) is telling him no because the unit is priority one. I don’t know much about mob policies, but I’m an admin guy so I told him to ask if they had that policy in writing. He sends me the traffic today and in it the BDE Ops says he thinks that policy is classified, but isn’t sure.

Does that sound legit? I’ve gotten the green weenie my fair share of the time, but in my nine years I’ve never had someone’s school or transfer held up because the unit was in an available year. If we had mob orders I’d understand, but we don’t.

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 19, 2017

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The jist is right, but that policy isn’t the one they’re saying is classified. It’s the one saying that if a unit is priority one (which I guess is what replaced the Available year from the old ARFORGEN cycle) that a Soldier can’t reclass or transfer.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Lol my recruiter put me on a treadmill and set it to the pace that would get me to pass the 1-1-1. He said to yell at him when it hit a mile then went and I dunno, drank coffee or cranked one out or whatever

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The dumbest poo poo is being T1 and having your USR kicked back because you didn’t put a comment in about how you’re going to stay a T1. It was really tempting to just put “We’re gonna keep doing what we’ve been doing.”

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The question higher usually asks: “Why are you hosed up?”
The question higher should ask: “How can we help you not be hosed up?”

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The army’s switching to a new pay/personnel system based off PeopleSoft over the next couple of years and I’m going up to stress test it next week. I’ll take a look at how leave works, although now it’ll be called something else.

Which as a sidenote I’m kinda salty that they’re changing the terms for a lot of things. For example your enlistment date will now be your hire date. My argument being that the Army doesn’t hire people but I’m betting it was part of the Oracle contract.

Also I know in the end it doesn’t matter but eh.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Oh here we go, I found a list of some of the terminology changes:

Duty MOS/MOSC/AOC — Job Code
Leave — Absences
Paragraph & Line Number — Position Number
Soldier — Member/Employee
Unit — Department

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

So under the new system, do you have to no-call no-show 30 times in a row before you get fired?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

McNally posted:

"SPC, I have some news. Seems the new software didn't understand that we had sent you to airborne and air assault schools and so it marked you as no call/no show for those five weeks. As a result, the system fired you and we can't figure out how to reinstate you. Anyway, long story short, you won't get paid until we figure this out. We figure seven, eight months tops."

“Just got an email from higher. There’s a patch in the works but it’ll be a few months before it gets released. In the meantime we can rehire you, but you’re gonna have to go back to MEPS and get your butthole checked.”

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I remember that class in AIT. “This is DIMHRS. You’re never gonna see it so we’re moving on.”

And then as a Reserve Soldier I spent eight weeks learning active duty systems that I’d never touch outside of updating DD 93s/SLGI in eMILPO. Probably why the motto was Army Strong and not Army Smart...

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

IPPS-A trip report: after three days of alpha testing, I can say that right now it’s a flaming shitpile that has potential. I hope I can come to more of these. It does feel good being able to direct changes to the system, so anal people like myself can enjoy things like standardized phone number formats. I would’ve appreciated it too if the lead instructor didn’t get so goddamned defensive of his baby.

That said, for something they keep touting as a 21st century HR system, it sure as poo poo feels more like 2002 than 2017.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

We got an answer on that too. Congress mandated we use a commercial off the shelf product, which we can tailor to some extent, but any customization, like employee to Soldier, would run us “somewhere around $700,000” every time PeopleSoft got a patch. That’s not to say it can’t happen down the road, but any changes of that nature have to be approved by the 3-Star over the project. They’re going to make a handout with the actual costs soon.

Sidenote: This was only the third user jury they’ve done, and they’re focused on the Guard right now, as they’re supposed to go live next summer.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The interactive training site for IPPS-A is about the same. It has modules you can watch, then try, then test yourself, but it’s still super finicky. Like, if you knew you needed to scroll down, and you grabbed the scroll bar button and tried to drag it down, it failed because they programmed it to have you click in the scroll bar underneath the button. Or you have to type something in from memory that’s about as long as this sentence and includes special characters.

Most of the UI feedback I gave them was to look at other systems outside the Army and steal them wholesale if needed. I even suggested they look at the goddamn Dominos pizza tracker for the end user to know where their personnel action was at any given moment.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Trump either didn’t get around to signing the retirement certificate template or more likely nobody on his staff knew how to set up his autopen for like six or seven months. We had people retiring in the interim that were offered certs with President Obama’s signature, only to have them yanked back at the last minute. I felt kinda bad for them.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Man this weekend is gonna rock. Getting up in two hours to get on the bus so my platoon can ride for nine hours to rendezvous with the rest of the company for a BN weapons qual. Even though we’re less than two hours away from either Fort Bragg or Jackson, and we’re on the same campus as three other units that use Jackson.

This is a criminal waste of time and money.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

This drill kinda blows but getting to take a break during range qual to watch some A10s BRRRRRRRRRP is p cool

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

It keeps most of the crazies contained.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Don’t bother committing it to memory because they just renamed them all DLC

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

How much you want for the sleep system? Mine got jacked a couple months ago and my supply sergeant is less than useless

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

psydude posted:

I'm actually going to hang on to it because it's great for backpacking/camping.

Ha, I don't blame ya. That thing gets pretty toasty.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Mustang posted:

It's interesting that nearly every HHC commander or 1SG goes through a phase of trying to exert their dominance over the staff sections. It never seems to work.

Trying to strong arm the staff is just going to cause the staff to find ways to either disregard or actively sabotage the HHC commander/1SG, making him or her look like an ineffective leader.

Yeah that’s pretty much how it was at the last place I worked. The 1SG thought he was god, even though almost every staff section had an O6 and a SGM. He got promoted to CSM (lol), we had a change of command, and the new commander lets the sections basically run as their own mini-companies. It’s done wonders for morale.

Naked Bear posted:

Perhaps take into consideration that whole "we can't bring this ammo back; nobody goes home until we've expended all of it" followed six months later by "we had to drug deal with the next battalion over; here's some loose ammo in garbage bags" problem.

This I don’t get. We just had a range, and our training NCO took all of our leftover ammo back to the ASP, and they took everything that was still sealed and logged it so we can use it next time. I’m not a logistics guy, is this standard protocol?

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 6, 2018

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Yeah go to the Army outlook website. I can’t remember the link but google it and it’ll come up. Then play the guessing game with which certificate to use until you get in.

Edit: https://web.mail.mil

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

DoktorLoken posted:

My perception is that other than personal friendships you make the military doesn't really care about you as an individual.

Almost as if it’s designed that way... :thunk:

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Vahakyla, stop doing hooah poo poo. I’ve got a buddy that did and now has compression fractures in more than a handful of vertebrae and two bone spurs pressing on his spinal cord that his doctors have already told him will paralyze him from the chest down if they were to break off.

Their solution involves cutting open his side, cracking his ribs, deflating a lung, moving his heart, fixing his poo poo, and then putting it all back.

He said that ain’t gonna happen either.

Get healthy. That retirement ain’t gonna be worth it if you’re in constant pain

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Look, if you grow up poor and live in an area like West Virginia that doesn’t have many opportunities, especially in more modern industries, military service ain’t a bad idea.

What you do with it, well...

Goofus did 2 tours, got fat, couldn’t go to school, got QMPed, and now bitches daily about the KMart he works at.

Gallant did almost thirty years and got medically retired. He’s still in great shape, tends his crops and cattle, makes more retired than he did working, and has no regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

He developed type 1 beetus, and his A1C levels were too high. So other than having to be more mindful of what he eats, and dealing with an insulin pump he’s still able to move and work out like a normal person

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 21, 2018