Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

The Rat posted:

A couple dudes from my Bn's old recon platoon bought their own M9s privately and brought them on deployment. I think their immediate chain of command knew, but no one else was the wiser.

I was like drat, I wish I had thought of that.

Yeah we had some guys do that too. Why is that cool? Just beat up a detainee like the cool kids and then you've got a story for life instead of a useless loving pistol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Pesticide20 posted:

Requesting this as an av please

Can you upload a selfie

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

That E-8 more than likely had redirected someone else's BAH to himself over a period of months, hence the six-figure repayment.

That O-5 was doing way, way more than violating curfew. Whatever actually gets written down for an officer punishment is always just the tip of the iceberg. The other 90% gets kept submerged.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Voc rehab for an MBA would be sick.

TheAlphaChaser posted:

I'm going for an MBA. Everyone keeps telling me unless you got in a top 20 (really a top 10) it's kind of a waste of money, which I 100% agree with. The application process is tedious and expensive (gently caress you GMAT), but there are a few highly ranked schools that seem to like vets. Get above a 650 and ideally come from a top 25 undergrad and you're set.

Also don't discount some of the highly ranked European MBAs. INSEAD was ranked higher than Harvard this year, and then there's LSE, IE, IESE and a small handful of others that big banks, hedge funds, consultancies recruit from (if that's what you're going for). European schools also have some kind of weird love affair with American vets, I got into some overseas schools I had no business getting into.

Right now I'm deciding between a t10 school in the northeast or a European t15. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions on the process.

Can you PM me where you were accepted? I have this as my back pocket option. I took the GMAT cold and got a 650 and freaked out a bit, and cancelled my score. Math sucks.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I got a (not-army-related) email from a guy with this signature block.

Is "CY" a loving branch, now? Really?

quote:

firstname lastname
CPT, CY
Army Cyber Institute (ACI)
Office 5-7, Spellman Hall
United States Military Academy

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

TBeats posted:

Can I use Voc Rehab for grad school? I'm going for accounting if it makes a difference, which is a fairly in demand field

I have to do more research on this approach, but from what I understand you can sit for the CPA if you have 150 education hours. It's 132 for a bachelors in accounting and I will be graduating with 140ish. Could I just do ten more hours of undergrad and take some BS courses and sit for the CPA and skip grad school altogether?

Grad school more like rad school

(yes you can)

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Mustang posted:

What the gently caress, 3 late calls in a row. One for getting back from the field really late, one for bad weather and one for super bowl recovery.

Yeah that's what goes for a predeployment pass these days

Enjoy Iran

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

wahh my chain of command that i love and cherish and honor wont honor my REFRAD packet

Good lord I know this exact person and he was a real joy on the deployment he was effectively forced to join

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Friendly reminder!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/19/politics/army-ethics-lying-report/

quote:

Study: 'U.S. Army officers lie' routinely

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

TheAlphaChaser posted:

I highly recommend reading the source material: http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute.army.mil/pdffiles/PUB1250.pdf

It's actually more about how big Army's insane requirements for everything from SHARP briefs to mandatory hourly training schedules has made a ton of people say gently caress it and turn that red box green in a command and staff brief to not deal with the bullshit. Has any noble here literally never done that before? Never signed off on a suspect weapon qual card for an NCO about to go to the board? Never done a mass company brief to fulfill suicide awareness training? Never pencil whipped a PL's mandatory vehicle inspection for a pass? I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying there's a moral fuzzy line when using your own judgement to negotiate the minefield of paperwork and arbitrary military requirements. I'm not talking about the rapist generals or dudes taking bribes obviously, gently caress them.

Yeah we did it all the time. Problem is you end up effectively teaching units that they always know better, since everything coming from higher is suspect and probably unfeasible. That's how you get units making up their own rules in combat and doing stupid stuff.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Mustang posted:

Honestly CSM seems like one of the most useless positions in the Army.

I thought this was common knowledge

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, do you have a specific MOS for changing the color of squares on excel spreadsheets and trackers and powerpoint icons?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Isn't that just for stupid people fighting to stay relevant in white collar middle management positions?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I don't know if we're all so woke and post-army then maybe these guys who can't readjust and constantly live in the past could use a little mentorship and help discovering cool things about the post-army life?

I cringe as much as anyone but I don't want to spend the rest of my life embarrassed to be a vet either so :shrug:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

What's his pt score

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Basically Pot and Rape were the biggest disqualifiers, and DUI after a certain amount.

Yeah, the army definitely prefers to work with fresh clay.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

I, on the other hand, had an MOS that would gleefully poo poo on your face and kick you in the balls before allowing you past E4. After the first few years I stopped checking because promotion points never dropped from 798, then I got the gently caress out and now I out rank all those motherfuckers anyway.

Details

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

drat and I thought I was pushing it by removing the throat protector and crotch triangle.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

lol MTOE

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I am MTOE'd Katy Perry and Gwen Stefani for my dick but am often forced to make do with less

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I hope it drops because happiness is a lie temporarily put off and in 2017 interest rates are high, baby

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

lol

http://www.ncoguide.com/milper/c-and-r-device-military-awards.html

full text (PDF): http://www.ncoguide.com/files/c-and-r-device.pdf

quote:

DOD Guidance for the Newly Established “C” and “R” Devices

Army Counseling Examples
Implementation of Department of Defense Guidance for the Newly Established “C” and “R” Devices

Search
Google
Custom Search
Milper Message Number 17-095, Issued 15 March 2017
1. This message will expire on 15 March 2018.

2. References A through C were published on 21 December 2016 and implemented
the recommendations from the comprehensive Military Decorations and Awards
Review (MDAR) approved by the Secretary of Defense in Reference D.

This message announces the implementation guidance pertaining to the newly
established “C” and “R” devices found in applicable portions of References A, B,
and C that have an immediate and significant impact on the Army Awards Program.
The guidance below and other changes approved in reference D are being
incorporated into the next version of reference E.

3. The MDAR determined Soldiers should receive appropriate, distinct recognition
for qualifying meritorious service or achievement performed under combat
conditions or remotely impacting combat operations. The “C” and “R” devices
were created to recognize such service. The criteria and implementation guidance
for these devices are listed below.

4. The “C” device:
a. The “C” device is an appurtenance which may be placed on designated individual
awards to denote recognition of meritorious service or achievement under combat
conditions. The “C” device is only authorized if the service or achievement was
performed under combat conditions (while the Soldier was personally exposed to
hostile action or in an area where other Soldiers were actively engaged),
while:

(1) Engaged in action against an enemy of the United States;

(2) Engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force

(3) Serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an
opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

b. Award of the “C” device is based on the specific circumstances under which the
service or achievement was performed.

The award is not determined solely on geographic location or unit of assignment,
and the award may recognize specific achievements and/or extended periods of
service, under the following circumstances:

(1) The unit is operating in a location with delegated wartime awards authority.

(2) The Soldier was personally exposed to hostile action or in an area where other
Soldiers were actively engaged. This is not to say the Soldier must qualify for a
combat badge as defined in reference E. The commander with awards approval
authority must consider the totality of the situation and determine if the Soldier
performed the service or action(s) under combat conditions, or if it was rendered
under relatively safe, non-hostile conditions.

(3) The fact alone that the service was performed in a designated combat zone
(CZ) or similarly defined location (areas designated for combat zone tax exclusion
(CZTE), imminent danger pay (IDP), hazardous duty pay (HDP), or hostile fire pay
(HFP)) does not justify award of the “C” device. Because these locations are
typically very large and defined by known geographic features and boundaries, not
all Soldiers in that designated area operate under combat conditions. Moreover,
not all Soldiers in a CZ or similar area serve in roles or perform functions under
combat conditions. For example, Soldiers serving in staging areas, some higher
headquarters locations, or locations outside the joint operational area may not
necessarily be at risk of experiencing hostile action. Such determinations should
be made on a case-by-case basis by the awards approval authority.

c. Grade must not be a factor in determining whether the “C” device is warranted,
nor will any quotas, official or unofficial, be established limiting the number of “C”
devices authorized for a given combat engagement, a given operation, or
cumulatively within a given expanse of area or time.

d. The “C” device may be awarded with the following Army awards to recognize
exceptionally meritorious service or achievement performed under combat
conditions on or after 7 January 2016:

(1) Distinguished Service Medal (DSM)

(2) Legion of Merit (LOM)

(3) Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC)

(4) Air Medal (AM)

(5) Army Commendation Medal (ARCOM)

(6) Army Achievement Medal (AAM)

blah blah blah

Basically most awards can now get a V for valor, C for combat, and/or R for REMF

There are going to be some loving stupid looking ARCOMs and AAMs out there.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

For some, better than no identity

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

shockingly i was really wasted last night, everyone can do whatever they want I shouldn't judge and I'm working on that :kiddo:

HCT your job is not to re-calibrate yourself for us, it's everyone's job to calibrate to the man who is right when he's wrong and wrong when he's right. poo poo's relative and the only real wrong is to only see it one way at all times.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

i'm so wasted again I don't know what you're saying but I havent read the news today so I'm much less inclined to be angry and gip dude y'all own I have no friends IRL and I'm not even friends with anyone here but thanks for the small amount of social contact y'all provide me

Same or at least the first two parts are same

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Ooh is it all starting to make sense!??

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

McNally posted:

What I've learned from all this, largely, is that DA civilians give absolutely no fucks whatsoever. Someone in uniform will go out of their way to help.

DA Civilians are basically us in real life but our job is to deal with active duty retards who hate us. It's not cool, but I get that people have their limits.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Mustang posted:

I cleared CIF two different times at Benning and never had any issues so I never really got the hatred for CIF

As a fellow officer I promise that enlisted do not experience the same CIF as we do

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I regret making that comparison

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Nice

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

The best part of the army was raining hell down on turd burglers in Afghanistan and being way too in it to stop and think whether it was the right thing to do or if there might be civilians in the area and realizing down the road that the human experience is loving complicated, man.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Soulex posted:

That's the best parenting advice. Your kids grow up as products of you. If you aren't excellent, they aren't excellent.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

J.A.B.C. posted:

I'm posting here because I'm certain staff doesn't know this place exists, and I have no other army people to talk to.

Have a cool answer ready for when a printout of this ends up on your desk.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

So what happened to him

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

drat HCT has an eye for the poo poo I never think about, but then I read his posts and it's like, holy gently caress. Yeah, that's the perfect way of putting it, re: leadership and crap. It's like if the military had a monopoly on using your dick, so everyone in uniform was totally over it, but civilians are walking around all day totally amazed at cock tricks and I should probably go to bed

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Mike-o posted:

When even the enlisted know the president is a moron.

Well the enlisted always "know" the president is a moron, but they're right this time at least

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

:chloe:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I knew some guy short enough to tie the strings under his feet like some stirrup wearing motherfucker

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Goodbye Horses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Woof Blitzer posted:

Wow I love the cav. Just got assigned to a Stryker brigade here and loving every minute can't wait to go to Yakima :)

This needs more appreciation