Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Triggs posted:

I showed up for accountability (I know) during block leave because it fell between my leave and weekend pass.

I raked leaves for two hours. There were still plenty of leaves on the trees.

And I'm an O-3.

(gently caress TRADOC)

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Some captain raking leaves cause he/she was trying to min/max leaves and passes is funny to me.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
You guys after watch a meteor shower on NODS? Maybe my best night of Army bullshit.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The hypersonic black project bomber?

:nsa:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Unless it's crazy dark, I always found that NODS didn't gently caress up your depth perception nearly as much as people whine about.

But maybe that's me. On the other hand, I can't shoot a pistol with both eyes open on anything remotely dynamic because my eyes are equally dominant and it's super confusing. Maybe dominant eye people have more issues with NODS.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The last person I talked to who went said they did several 3-5 mile runs and basically if you fell out "gently caress you, go home." A few people fell out of the first one, and it was just "never do that again, or you go home," primarily to keep from cutting a ton of females right off the bat.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
While I was in a "combat arm" forward deployed we all had Muskets, except the air national guard AF guys, who had tricked-the-gently caress-out M4s.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

its curtains for Kevin posted:

If I was a line haul 88m I would prob prefer a m9 in the cab TBH

Yeah, less mass to get thrown around at you when an IED goes off.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

TBeats posted:

Yeah but infantry likes to jerk off about how they aren't pogs. Our PL was a reclass and would tell us how scared pogs were of infantry. "And I know, because I used to be a pog."

That's a weird inverse of the person who reclassed from infantry years ago, but can't shut the gently caress up about how they were infantry back in the day.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

So, I haven't been assigned a unit yet when I checked my AKO and we got a dumb brief on how we select preferences in AKO if we haven't gotten an assignment yet.

My wife wants Italy. I have Airborne in mu contract, so that leads me to believe that my only end-points with UNAB-contract is basically Bragg, Viscenza, or some Alaskan shithole.

There is no Italy on the OCONUS preference list. I sure as gently caress don't want Alaska, so I tried getting Bragg on the CONUS list, but since there are no other airborne options, I left two other boxes "no preference." Then the system told me that I have to select something.

Out of assignmebt checkboxes, "airborne volunteer" was prechecked, but "airborne duty preferred" was not. Should I check that box?

I am now dumber.

Is there a way to somehow prefer Italy over other options, and should I bother with this stuff, and if so, how?

PVT Vähäkylä,

Welcome to Army sponsorship. All soldiers must have a sponsor before orders will be issued for them to proceed. Lack of sponsorship requires either an exception to policy signed by the commanding general of the base or else you will be placed in a hold status by your AIT unit until you have a sponsor from your gaining unit. The way your AIT unit gets sponsors is by calling your gaining unit repeatedly and yelling at them until they sponsor you or your AIT unit finally sends up a 4187 to your commanding general and says your gaining unit is a bunch of fucks.

Airborne in your contract doesn't mean airborne in your assignment. It might mean that, but if there's a lack of need, it can mean it was a neat-o thing in your contract to get you to enlist.

You can try calling your branch manager. Most of the time this will not help, but sometimes it does. Roll of the dice.

I look forward to your stories of using medic skills to cure/treat/assess the dumbest of injuries and illnesses.

V/R,

Forums User mlmp08
Poster, SA
Posting

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

So my first unit of assignment says "UNAB", I thought that meant that you'd end up in an AB unit, and school of airborne meant having Option 4 in your contract.

I was silly to assume that them giving us a briefing on it would mean it mattered. I am
hilariously naíve and not cynical enough about the US Army yet but we are getting there.

Let the record show I told you not to enlist.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
This reminds me that I saw a guy spend over 7 months in limbo after finishing AIT because some dentist hosed up his medical records.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Your AIT sounds real loving dumb.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

Bravo. Still no PT after HBL, and total of 5 pt sessions in five weeks before HBL.

Lmao that you continually get the dumbest units. Wtf.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
My job means I used to go TDY to Navy or Marine bases all the time. Sure, there are still lovely pawn shops and shady strip clubs, and awful tattoo parlors everywhere, but walking out onto the beach every loving day must be nice.

I even got lucky in that all my Air Force base TDY's were either on the coast with chill-as-gently caress ANG units or to Vegas.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

hypnophant posted:

I managed to have a good time in Korea but maybe that's because I was attached there for three months, civilian clothes every day, and the commander would sign a curfew pass for any weekend you cared to ask for one. Also I was in a pretty big city with the bars a five minute, $3 cab ride away

Korea is so hit and miss, it seems (have not been, but am at extreme risk to be sent there sooner than later, woooo..............)

My wife has a cousin who loved it because his number 1 and 2 past-times are hiking in mountainous lovely terrain and visiting weird cultural sites and he did both in spades.

Then there's the stories of people just being stuck on a tactical site for months on end hating themselves and everyone around them and then wasting every second of spare time they have sucking down soju.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Triggs posted:

Big Army has already said that to me plenty of times but thanks I guess?

Big Army leaves out the sir.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Today will be the day I start asking if anyone has the new presidential picture to put up in our buildings on the 20th.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pesticide20 posted:

I would be the guy vandalizing all of the pictures with "grab her by the pussy"

SHARP and EO trainers will probably get trolled pretty hard for a few years during mandatory training.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Is pussy grabbing punishable under ucmj or is that just "little boy's talk" per the FLOTUS?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
They say that in the Army, the curfew's mighty fine

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah

what a lovely snipe I made.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 13, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Aranan posted:

Am I reading that right in that a MSG stole $500 and now has to repay $122k and get busted down to SPC?

Charge is stole "over" $500 and has to repay the $122K he wrongly took over the years.

I've seen more minor cases where they can't really prove someone falsified documents or intentionally lied just be handled through DFAS. Like an officer who collected language proficiency benefits CONUS for a few years, despite there being no authorized language proficiency bonus for his slated position. He was convincing in his ignorance to his superiors, who basically said he was a big idiot and he got no-pay-due for a little while.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 13, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

TBeats posted:

I have no idea why command is so harsh about everything, but it could be the ridiculous amount of stupid poo poo that dumbass privates do on a regular basis.

This plus "FIGHT TONIGHT!"

But I've known plenty of people with fond memories of Korea. It seems very feast or famine and mass punishment suspension of privileges is common.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

That, or he used a fake address.

That's the far safer form of fraud.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Soulex posted:

Doesn't work like that I don't think. It would be abused to railroad people out (fat NCOs) who have a little time left.

RCP is RCP, man.

But they're only going to bust an NCO multiple levels down for serious poo poo, not for a body comp chapter.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

TBeats posted:

I just talked to a guy today who got orders to Korea and he was supposed to report there in January 2016.

His ets was one month later.

It might be stdh but like Trump, I wouldn't put any stupid poo poo past the army.

I wouldn't discount this happening due to clerical error, but such an ETS, especially an RCP, should cancel all orders-cutting, save ETS ones.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I saw a guy stabilized against his will for like a year due to a dental clinic thinking he might maybe need a new crown or some poo poo 9 months down the road.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
"Power will return to your combat systems when you complete your cyber awareness training."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I was made to OIC an M9 range. All but 4 of them were still in reset. 1 of the 4 came back from reset deadlined somehow. One broke on the first firing iteration.

It sure is loving fun doing a range for 50-ish people with 2 working firearms in a cold drizzle. And of course the fact that they were all in reset was my fault and not the fault of the higher ups who demanded that the range shall go on despite knowing for about 2 months prior that they'd be in reset.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

Today I heard the dumbest thing I've heard in AIT.

There is a poo poo ton of waiting at the DFAC here like I've bitched in this thread, but today we watched when delta company took forever because they only used less than half of the serving lines in the building. Our PSG asked their's why and the dude said "it's our company policy that they have to earn the right to use all lines in the DFAC".

It's not like they were avoiding short order with fast food, they were also avoiding half of the main order lines. They literally go slow in an already jam packed DFAC. While one company is in line, no other company can proceed to the empty ones either.

I am amazed. 400 privates through 2 serving lines takes a while.

lmao, there's a reason that even the rest of the inefficient army laughs at the med service corps and how bad they are at efficiency

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

This one just blew my mind. What's the benefit of this? It's like someone is actively trying to make this fuckign DFAC be the center of AMEDD schools. No loving, this one single Air Force DFAC is where most of the Army AIT spends their time all day and all weekend. Not class or studying.

Do they get their contractor money based on attendance and lenght of stay or what?

No it's per head your unit is just dumb as hell.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Triggs posted:

If they really want you to suffer they send you to S-3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KyBdPeKHg&t=25s

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

McNally posted:

While we were in Iraq, our XO got promoted to 1LT. I congratulated him, paused, then said "sir, your rank is on upside down." He actually stopped to check.

We had an S3 major who liked to yell at any LT who hosed up a lot then turn their rank sideways and tell them they were a minus for the rest of the day.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Lemme tell you about how lazy and poo poo all these Millennials are, and furthermore--

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

If you could switch to NG during AIT, there'd be no active duty Army.

This is the exact opposite of what retention actually sees and indicative of the value of the PNN.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
There are a few seriously butt hurt spouses on tricares Facebook page. But mostly people laughing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mike-o posted:

THAT'S NOT FUNNY I'M BIG BONED AND MY HUBBY IS OVERSEAS DEFENDINR ARE FREEDUM

TAKE THIS DOWN FACEBOOOK REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

At least Tricare gave a very non-apology apology. Good.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

cravius posted:

Look for those PCS orders to Irwin

Oh, dear, if that's the worst that joke brings to mind...

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It's the making it the whole year part that you're assuming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

whats the deal with your av man did you guys shoot someone down

Someone bought me a Trump avatar after I posted the president's early morning John McCain tweets in TFR's politics thread.

So someone else decided to replace it with this smashed up F-16 with the namesake of a battery that had a HARM missile shot into the rear end end of its radar by an Air Force pilot who thought he was in enemy territory (he wasn't), thought he got spiked by an SA-2 (he didn't) and so he shot off his HARM, knocking the radar out of commission.

So whoops, radar inoperable, better replace it with one of the ones way in the back. Sure it's an older model, but it'll be fine. Older model radar classifies a Naval F-18 as a ballistic missile, resulting in a different unit entirely shooting down said F-18 and killing a Naval Aviator. You know, who was flying not in his assigned corridor, but who was squawking IFF and flying straight and level at speeds that make him clearly not a ballistic missile.

edit to add: So no poo poo in like 12 days IIRC, the Marines were controlling airspace and SAMs, the Army shot down a British RAF Tornado who dove at the Patriot site after separating from his wingman with no IFF on, the USAF then shot a HARM into the rear end end of the Army Patriot site, then the Navy flew outside of their corridor, then the Army shot down the Navy plane for terrible reasons. And the whole time the Army was shooting down TBMs.

Then the entire joint force went hmmmmm, maybe we should change some things.

Before anyone gets antsy, this is all very unclassified, investigated and published incident from over a decade ago kind of stuff.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 10, 2017