Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Do mortars or missiles count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
e: ^^night-fire C-RAM in hazy weather is boss as hell

I'm pretty sure you'd have to go back to WW2 for US Army ADA aircraft kills. Israel nabbed a drone or two and a Syrian SU-24 with Patriot a little while back.

And CIA-sourced ADA shot down a lot of things :ninja:

Speaking of ADA, the community and big Army at large are looking at all the poo poo going on right now and super-rapidly going "welp, let's get Stingers back up and into the forces loving NOW until we have a new system in place."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
In '91 or thereabouts a Patriot unit apparently had a MiG dead to rights who had crossed the "kill him" line, but the USAF wanted it, and then he got away cause their intercept was too slow.

Must've been some serious blue balls in that 5-ton truck Patriot shelter.

Avengers are kicking around still, but Linebacker is gone and in a museum.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 10, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

you're literally retarded if you pick "that grunt poo poo" over flight medic if you have the choice

:agreed:

And flight medics get mad hours. Well, maybe less now that we're not doing route patrol 24/7 365/69

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Naked Bear posted:

LTC: Are you in line?
Me: Yeah.

The gently caress kind of LTC has taxes so basic that he/she can still do them on post without losing their minds?

Literally easier for me to do my own than try to have a tax center on post figure it out, and I'm no LTC.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm always pumped if I pay less than a month's pay.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

I think it all comes back to increased communication facilitating easier micromanagement of everything at the company and battalion level by command level staff.

Also, automation has made it way easier for various staff shops and other military agencies who aren't either doing the job or in charge of those doing the job to put units and people on blast for some real basic poo poo like sending out mass spreadsheets that list by name the people whose [form whatever] is out of date by 30 seconds.

I get that they're butt hurt about being called "customer service" or being told they work for the units rather than the other way around, but if you're an S1/2/3/4/6 whatever NCO or officer and you spend more time trying to nitpick the units and their troops than actually doing your job, get the gently caress out of here.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

TBeats posted:

Is it a promotion board? Or a sotm board?

Because if it's a sotm board lmao

It's a "get me a better job" board.

No, not a med board.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Found an employer who very much cares about your PCS awards.

https://twitter.com/davidgura/status/834193992006893568?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I saw a dude in his Army undershirt, cowboy jeans, and tan boots on a date with a girl who had a bag with her high school senior-level textbooks.

Here's hoping she was 18; I didn't call CPS.

She still looked older than him.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
There's a cool cat that hangs out in my vet lounge.

You guys are talking about pet care, right?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

A Bad Poster posted:

Has everyone done their yearly "gently caress the Army" training on JKO? If not, I need your certs by COB today.

I'm the awkward silence when a unit turns in 100% of their certs, but an audit of the online training shows literally one person did it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Had a surge recruit fresh out of AIT show up standing crooked as gently caress. Insane kinks in his spine. Basically said he didn't think the Army would take him but one of his kids needed some stupid expensive treatment and he wanted tricare.

His kid got taken care of, Army couldn't totally fix his hosed up back, but he was medically chaptered in way better health than he showed up in with a healthy kid.

Army success story!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I kid I went through AIT with when I was reclassing got like brand new teeth, veneers and all. Probably at least $10k dental work to fix his meth mouth. If nothing else happened he made out like a bandit for that poo poo.

Note this is not accounting for the terribleness of army dentistry

If you use the greencard to naturalization basic training fast track, you can get in, be naturalized at the end of basic, then show up at AIT and immediately get chaptered for refusal to train or suicidal ideation or whatever and keep your citizenship.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

cravius posted:

Combatives is hands down the most fun/least gay Army thing I've ever done. Surprised the army hasn't ruined that yet.

lmao, my first "real" exposure to combatives was some PTSD-addled psychopath Level 3 captain just sending multiple LTs to the hospital while enabling NCOs tried to say it wasn't his fault that he felt the need to say "YOU'RE MY HUCKLEBERRY" before breaking people facial bones and ear drums because they weren't fighting hard enough, in his opinion.

It also was fuckin' weird when a woman basically asked several of us to use certain attacks and when she lost, she'd cry. She later revealed that was how her rapist got the drop on her :catstare:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
There are actual times/reasons to use or not use (P) but that is pretty strictly for OER and NCOER purposes based on the applicable regulation and is absolutely not adding your (P) to your automatic Email signature.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
What if every other day I "plan to grow a beard" then change my mind. I generally like being clean shaven but it's nice to skip days here and there.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

TBeats posted:

Then you should reenlist.

Indef noble here. Literally the worst.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Not to mention, if the reason were gas masks, why are beards banned in garrison environments where you literally aren't issued one.

The answer is cause it isn't about gas masks.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
gently caress you if you're still in [the VC chair arguing about mtoe]

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
If you have a venture capitalist in your Stryker do they become the VC?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think we can all agree Grand Theft Auto: Vehicle Commander was among the best in the series.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pesticide20 posted:

I hope you enjoy lovely old barracks with fucktard roommates

hosed up thing to say about his wife :v:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Naked Bear posted:

If you've got something you want to say to me then go get your first line. This is my training room, bitches. :colbert:

Another universal constant: S1 and other support shops revolting when told at least one person should be on duty during lunch because it turns out that's when people have time to come fix their records or get help or turn poo poo in.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Aranan posted:

Such an appropriate name/post combination.

God drat when will my terminal leave get approved? I submitted it over a month ago and the O room still says it's being processed. :(

Unless it's for a lot of time and he's fortunate enough to have one of those BN or BDE commanders that doesn't sign things until literally the day it MUST be signed and only if a staffer or commander basically holds the senior officer's hand and forces him to sign it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

One of the redeeming qualities of being a noble is hand walking leave to your boss for signature then sending it to the S1. I haven't done a trips form in like 5 years now... but I'm an idiot who's still in and will inevitably be hung when the purges come.

I had a soldier way back when I was a PL who did not have a car, was basically taking leave to burn use/lose days and to avoid a bunch of lovely inventory layout duties, and whose plans consisted of sitting in the barracks playing video games and seeing his brother for a day or so while he was traveling through. He didn't own a car. He didn't submit a trips form. BN S1 kicked it back, despite the 1SG and I explaining the situation.

He got that kind of angry motivation that means you dedicate hours to telling someone to gently caress off. He did some drafting as a hobby and drafted a layout of the buildings between his barracks and the BN staff duty desk. He then made a to-scale stencil of foot-prints. He stenciled them in, to scale of a regular stride, going down the stairs, out our battery, to BN staff duty, then back to his room. He even drafted in a smoke break at the smoking pit on the way back. He had me sign the bottom where he marked this trip low risk. I made sure the packet bypassed S1 and went straight to our BN XO's inbox, who was the acting BN CDR (some stupid incident meant that all leave forms were going to BN). I got a call a couple hours later and the BN XO was drat near in tears from laughter and told me the S1 wouldn't require trips forms for people who don't own cars anymore.

I hate myself for not having taken a picture or scanned the thing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
In one unit a soldier smashed his tricked out civic with NO2 cans into a wall and burned to death. CSM made a requirement that all leave and pass forms contain a list of aftermarket parts, even cosmetic or sound system stuff. My car was pretty lightly modified, but by listing each new bushing and bolt and audio wire individually on their own lines, I managed to make that part of the leave form about four pages long.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
What spacetoaster said. Most commanders would rather tell someone to knock off the bullshit than field obnoxious phone calls.

E: bonus points if the family member "doesn't know any better" and calls the post headquarters or post chaplain or something.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It's funny if I happen to be at one of the larger admin buildings on post watching the massive exodus of DACs who have perfected leaving their office at just the right time so as to step outside the front door at 4 pm on the dot.

Half the time they send their emails saying they need something TODAY OR ELSE at about 3:45 pm.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
What fuckin' dummies.

I'm convinced poo poo like this is half the reason fraternization rules changed a few years back.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
ICE comment cards can work both ways. I've had good results with submitting positive ICE comments when they do basic stuff like "showed up, fixed toilet, left," but DPW somehow gets a lot more responsive or fit you earlier in the queue if they think there's a fair chance they'll get kudos simply for doing their job mostly on time.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Bliss had decent gut trucks that would take GPS grids to find your unit.

It also had an officially licensed Arby's truck that would show up to a bn and sell out in 30 minutes.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
New Mexico chilis are amazing. Also, unless you live in a frozen wasteland, buying some $1-2 started chilis and tossing them in a pot will probably give you more chilis than you can eat with minimal maintenance. Watering and a little bit of miracle grow brought in a couple hundred chilis this past season. Very worth it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

So much Stryker recovery training....and some funny stories

Here's a funny story: You'll be an XO in like a year or less, probably.

Sorry, that was hosed up.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

The more I learn, the less I understand

Do GOs still tell LTs that being a PL is the best part of the entire Army?

That was always a depressing pep-talk.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mike-o posted:

Our gas and electric bill was almost $500 this month because my girlfriend always wants to crank up the heat :shepicide:

Just buy her a snuggie.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

Weirdly the enlisted medics that are with me as airborne, ranger, and SOAR candidate holdovers here aren't that hooah right now.

I'm genuinely surprised how little confidence they have in their President.

"At least he's not the other one!" only stays fresh for so long.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
If that makes your girlfriend happy, a good way to spend something like 50 cents.

But if that makes your girlfriend happy rethink your life.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
My cats alternate from freaking out when they see one on the ground and playing with them all night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Didn't like tucking. I'm already wearing thick rear end socks and I tied my shoes by wrapping the laces around the ankle and doing a square knot. Blouse 4 lyfe

Yup