Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Even 12 year olds have more sense sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Ashmole posted:

Sustainable readiness model is garbage. It was designed by generals who grew up in the 80s and 90s army where you weren't expected to deploy between 9-12 months every few year or so. We get to return from Afghanistan and go pretty much back into training because readiness.

But Objective-T!!!!

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

cool go ahead an go back to active when we are about to go to war with:

-north korea
-china
-russia
-Venezuela

mattis will be fired after the midterm. its going to be a purge. he’ll shove john bolton into secdef

then the real fun starts

Well, gently caress. UQR gets submitted this week, that settles it.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
He's finally becoming a jaded junior officer, let him vent. He's about to grow his hair out and become a captain of zero fucks.

Mustang posted:

I just flat out don't understand leadership in the Army, particularly LTC's and COL's.

It's all a dick waving contest. O-5s just want to prove they can be BDE commanders and so on. O-4's grin and bear it because they have no other choice but to go all in. I'm actually curious how the TSP is going to affect careerism in the Army since you won't have officers who are purely motivated by the pension anymore.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Talk to the BDE ammunition NCO, there's probably another unit with excess to spare.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I'm convinced we'd get our poo poo pushed in if we ever got into a real DA fight and if Bolton gets his way we'll get there eventually.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Wasabi the J posted:

IDK, I'm pretty excited to be getting out.

June 2019 can't come soon enough.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Leaders eat last but they park the closest

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I'm changing my phone number when I get out, there's really no other option.

J.A.B.C. posted:

I know we had work/life balance chat before, but let me say this:

The mentality of having to work 24 hr ops before you are in the field because your boss has no impulse control is loving stupid and needs to die. And if I hear 'just knock out the high priority stuff' from people who treat every tasking as a life-death situation then I'm going to slap someone with a stapler.

I know that the old saying 'this isn't the Army I joined' is a cliché, but holy poo poo is it right.

I wish Army leaders would stop lying and saying that family is important - it isn't anymore. Family got tossed to the side a long time ago in order to sustain readiness. The new norm is soldiers missing three Thanksgivings in a row because of deployments and CTC rotations.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Vasudus posted:

i mean that's fair

but it's not my idea, that's the job

identify all currently collected metrics and trainings that are related to readiness/resilience, assess their impact and respondent burden, and identify which ones can be either changed or eliminated entirely with a preference on elimination

for all services

JCS is concerned about financial health

For 18th ABC:

Get rid of the 4 miles/36 minute pace and 12 mile AASLT ruck bullshit. Those metrics are made up and everyone knows it.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Vasudus posted:

No it almost assuredly won't result in any drastic changes, but I'm going to do what I can. Unfortunately any changes this whole process can actually do won't be until 2022 or so, maybe longer.

The strategy lately has been to quantify the losses in money, because I guess that's never been a thing. Another contractor (I think it was RAND but maybe not, can't recall) did an assessment for OUSD(P&R) that was a 2-year study and the numbers apparently made everyone in the room throw up a little, hence the newfound concern.

The sacred cows of certain training regimens become a whole lot less sacred when you inform the money people that ruckrunning costs the government an additional 1.5m/soldier over their lifetime.

The money lost due to wasted man hours alone would be staggering. Do a case study of a single battalion. Hell, even a company. Or go even more micro than that, put a number on the amount of time wasted on DA31s when the whole process could be automated.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Warfighter? That's pretty typical, S4 is never given full consideration and logistics get handwaived. My favorite was losing a bunch of Apaches on a deep attack and having crews magically repopulate the next day. We're gonna do great in a real DATE fight if it ever happens.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Mustang posted:

I have, I start ETS leave in May.

Still have to be the S4 until then though.

Same here, got word yesterday that BDE found a replacement to take over my company. Change of command inventories in April, woo!

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I'm convinced that being in the army is like being in an abusive relationship, just gotta cut all ties if you actually want to be happy.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Where are our crayons then :colbert:

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Thump! posted:

Having recently started training on FRIES and Blackhawk poo poo, holy hell do they ever. Saw our pilots do a touch and go before picking us up and drat near knocked the running wheels off

Assault/Blackhawk pilots tend to land aggressively out of necessity, once the aircraft gets IGE (in ground effect) overseas in dust you get totally blinded. The only time I've been scared flying is at night under goggles in dust conditions coming in for a landing, you are literally landing by control touch and watching your instrumentation.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Finally have my DD214 in hand, time to grow my beard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
It is so, so good. More importantly I need to toke up when I visit NY in July for 'medical' reasons.

Just talking to everyone at work I felt like I was talking to inmates who were just counting down the years left on their sentence. It really does feel like getting out of jail.