Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Belated NVG chat - my first time driving a HMMWV in Afghanistan / second time ever was in the dark with PVS-7s, in Kunar outside of Camp Blessing in case you've had a chance to visit. Place is super mountainous and the roads are, at best, only slightly more than the width of the vehicles, with a steep drop on one side and a cliff face on the other. I pretty much just scraped the side of the truck against the rocks the entire time as my team leader in the TC seat just resigned himself to saying "no, left, left, stop, left" since I couldn't see a loving thing and I was really worried about rolling down a mountain and killing us all.

I was in the turret from that day forward. :downs:

Justin Tyme posted:

Also, the master play of buying a little hobbit sack of grenade pins to throw in the top flap of your ruck.

What's this for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Justin Tyme posted:

For when you do a live fire range with smokes/frags and some dingus doesn't keep the pin so you're stuck crawling in the tall grass looking for it

:stare: Maybe I was lucky or maybe I've just obliterated any memory of it but I can't for the life of me say I've ever had to get a grenade pin back.

The Rat posted:

PVS-7's are the worst thing ever.

Yeah I was constantly eating poo poo with those things on. I was one of several unlucky dudes who didn't get PVS-14s, at least until after I broke about four pairs of the PVS-7s with my face and finally the armorer was like well I guess you can have the supply NCO's 14s since he's never around anyway... :shrug:

Just loving lol that we had good night vision for non-combat dudes with stripes but none for the low-ranking actual infantry dudes who might actually need or use the dang things. ~army~

Stanley Goodspeed fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 4, 2017

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

:ohdear:

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

I thought the normal response to someone talking poo poo about your branch of service / unit / MOS was to tell even worse stories so they know how deep the hosed up rabbit hole actually goes. :confused:

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Yeah when I got to the 173rd they literally just split us off from a big line for 1st / 2nd Battalion (I was infantry so not a ton of options) and then from there into Able / Battle / Chosen. Don't expect to know what the gently caress is happening until it's already done I imagine!

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

173rd (2-503 at least) seemed like it was okay but it was my only unit so who knows

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Thats really the best attitude, don't believe poo poo until you have deployment orders

Even then. I'd wait until your equipment has been shipped somewhere because hoooly gently caress they switched us up something fierce back in 2006-7 when I was w/ the 173rd. We were practicing for Iraq forever, doing infinite drills and going up to Germany to gently caress around in that old Nazi training village or whatever. Like a couple (maybe? idk) months before while we're out there training the BC announces that lol, no we're actually doing Afghanistan so get ready.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

They make a version for the Mk 19 which is probably the coolest way I can think of to commit a bunch of war crimes quickly

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Full auto crew-served 40mm shotgun what loving doomsday scenario would that even be relevant and how did it get enough traction that some munitions plant somewhere actually made it possible

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

i was actually at wanat and the main issue with our mk 19s was the feed tray got shot on one and the gun shield on the other got blown up and the gun couldn't traverse anymore

the normal hedp poo poo was good up until then because it went further than 100m or whatever the flechette stops working at :shrug:

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

yeah :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

:psyduck:

Thought I was having a stroke there