Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Fly Fight Puke on the PT Track that is 300 feet longer than it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
FTFY

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:golfclap: Well done. Promote Ahead of Peers.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
Security Forces is the best AFSC.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
This may be a little out of left field, but how close is someone who is an enlisted person on an Aeromedical Evacuation team to an actual nurse?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

:golfclap: Well done. Promote Ahead of Peers.

No thank you. Civilian below the zone was the pinnacle of my short Air Force career and no one can take that away from me :cabot:

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

pretty much rollin with the dad farm these days
Being a civilian loving owns.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Obstacle2 posted:

This may be a little out of left field, but how close is someone who is an enlisted person on an Aeromedical Evacuation team to an actual nurse?
Depends heavily on their AFSC/specialty. Apparently the scope of practice of military medical personnel doesn't always translate directly to their civilian equivalents.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Nice

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

Nice

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Nice

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Dead Reckoning posted:

Depends heavily on their AFSC/specialty. Apparently the scope of practice of military medical personnel doesn't always translate directly to their civilian equivalents.

Enlisted personnel? Not even close. Some (like PJs) are trained as EMTs or even paramedics.

zombieswithblenders
Nov 21, 2008

Derek Dominoe posted:

Enlisted personnel? Not even close. Some (like PJs) are trained as EMTs or even paramedics.

Most of the stuff I do is only worth anything due to the officer who signs the report/results I pump out. Most have degrees that dont even apply exactly to the subject matter (and separates me from being them). But hey I dont care Im just an office worker who wears ABUs.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol I loved that Command Post post in the last thread. Airman Sanchez? Uhh... Is the DO there? You don't have DOs any more? What about the chief of command post? It's 4 am at your station and he's not at work? Etc etc etc. and then it ends up being something they could have found out in two seconds by looking at G2 or just you know, asking me.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Especially frustrating because the console workers do 99% of the poo poo in an AMC command post at least, so even if they do speak to someone above me, it gets kicked back to me anyway except now I can't ask questions if I need more detail

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also the epic chief who came in as our new superintendent and ended our practice of letting non-smokers take 10 here and there, who was then upset and tried to end smoke breaks after everyone in the unit started taking packs of smokes to work

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Larry Parrish posted:

Lol I loved that Command Post post in the last thread. Airman Sanchez? Uhh... Is the DO there? You don't have DOs any more? What about the chief of command post? It's 4 am at your station and he's not at work? Etc etc etc. and then it ends up being something they could have found out in two seconds by looking at G2 or just you know, asking me.

The only time this doesn't happen is when it's another Command Post/Center calling. Every other time, it's like when you call a home and a five year-old answered.

Airman? Can you put the Staff Sergeant who just cross-trained in four months ago on the line? Thanks, I can't handle treating an Airman with the respect and decency a 24 year-old man deserves.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For a while my entire back office was composed of cross trainees, and of course the ops and the reports guy had both worked less console time than me, a brand new airman

It got really old asking for help on stuff and getting an answer back that sounding suspiciously like the text from an AFI or the training materials

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I know a few guys who got stuck in casuals for a few weeks/months and were put on Command Post. They said they just watched a poo poo ton of movies and answered the phone once every couple of hours. Not sure if this was during the day or night. Either way sounds pretty chill.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Depends on the base. Busier bases have more for Command Post to do. I was at a "watch movies and chill for 12 hours" base. I'd even bring in model kits on nights, weekends, and holidays and just work on them after I got settled in for my shift.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
I'm guessing a relatively small AETC base with no flight line?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
AFMC, with a flight line. But all the flight-following poo poo was handled by a section of our MOC, for reasons. We were really just there for opreps and the giant voice.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Tinker? Since the CP fell under the ABW not the ACW I could see it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of my old senior controllers used to work at Keesler. Apparently that base was so slow they only had one controller on duty, except for the sexual assault reports

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Godholio posted:

Tinker? Since the CP fell under the ABW not the ACW I could see it.

Edwards. And things didn't change much after the ABW and TW merged.

Larry Parrish posted:

One of my old senior controllers used to work at Keesler. Apparently that base was so slow they only had one controller on duty, except for the sexual assault reports

We just had lovely manning. I think we had more than 10 controllers once, for like a six month period in 2012 or 2013.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Fun day back!

Start with cranky emails from ADOs demonstrating "leadership by email" saying 0900 meeting for Flight Commanders and Chiefs that I promptly hit delete.

Start the morning mission planning for a flight the next day.

Half way through the crew brief, get word that all flights are canceled by the Commander.

Get told that tomorrow be in service dress for inspection, blues for the rest of the week. Apparently, because a good chunk of the squadron is deployed at any one time, very few people are left to make the squadron function... people are sick of being gone (and at the AF in general) so people have been showing up late and ducking out early, assuming other people will pick up the slack. The few people who had been doing all the work have deployed, and the squadron missed some outside-the-squadron deadlines. Apparently Group and Wing leadership have taken notice.

ADOs lead the crack down, commanders call at 1530.

Commanders call starts with "Change of plans. We had a suicide last night, tomorrow will be normal duty uniform the chaplain and MFLAC are here if you need them, reconvene at next Commanders call on Friday."

And then dismissed.

Probably the biggest af.txt example I've ever seen, and the second most embarrassing. Sadly, most of the problems the squadron is facing are self induced, but what do I know... hoping sub six months left.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 4, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I was going to say that should be in the OP, but goddamn. First loving page of the year.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Larry Parrish posted:

Unless something has changed in 15 years, the only reason Keesler has a runway is so the Hurricane Hunters can take off and land.

xaarman posted:

Fun day back!

Start with cranky emails from ADOs demonstrating "leadership by email" saying 0900 meeting for Flight Commanders and Chiefs that I promptly hit delete.

Start the morning mission planning for a flight the next day.

Half way through the crew brief, get word that all flights are canceled by the Commander.

Get told that tomorrow be in service dress for inspection, blues for the rest of the week. Apparently, because a good chunk of the squadron is deployed at any one time, very few people are left to make the squadron function... people are sick of being gone (and at the AF in general) so people have been showing up late and ducking out early, assuming other people will pick up the slack. The few people who had been doing all the work have deployed, and the squadron missed some outside-the-squadron deadlines. Apparently Group and Wing leadership have taken notice.

ADOs lead the crack down, commanders call at 1530.

Commanders call starts with "Change of plans. We had a suicide last night, tomorrow will be normal duty uniform the chaplain and MFLAC are here if you need them, reconvene at next Commanders call on Friday."

And then dismissed.

Probably the biggest af.txt example I've ever seen, and the second most embarrassing. Sadly, most of the problems the squadron is facing are self induced, but what do I know... hoping sub six months left.

xaarman posted:

Probably the biggest af.txt example I've ever seen

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Genocide Tendency posted:

Unless something has changed in 15 years, the only reason Keesler has a runway is so the Hurricane Hunters can take off and land.
They fly the pipeliners in now too.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

post cool planes

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

The Air Force was once cool, but that time is past.

Cool planes are timeless.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

last one was army :spergin:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
I like the ones where people are like, we fly those?

RC-135? You mean KC-135 right?

xaarman fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 5, 2017

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

last one was army :spergin:

I was trying to find a good USAFE aircraft photo, but USAFE was only cool when it was part of the Army. All downhill since.

Edit: Grandpa Arc Light on the left.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 5, 2017

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Arc Light posted:

The Air Force was once cool, but that time is past.

I laughed at the thought of someone trying to get this approved in 2017.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Sacrist65 posted:

It may not have even been approved when this photo was taken. That's an RAF Phantom.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Sacrist65 posted:

Well 2017 begins the reign of pussy-grabber in chief so this sort of thing may be mandatory.

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

Inshallah

e:

Represent

Helldump Immunity fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Edit:
Might as well include the original:

• Locked thread