Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.defensenews.com/articles...campaign=buffer

Fly, Fight, Win!

Helldump Immunity posted:

Inshallah

e:

Represent

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20090313-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The B-52 story is amazing. :allears:

The JSTARS story is tied with the RJ fire last year as the most horrifying USAF flight mishaps in recent memory.

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

pretty much rollin with the dad farm these days

That poo poo was unreal. Word is the pilot did some legit hero stuff to get it home safe.

The wonkiest birds were always the ones straight out of depot.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
On the flip side, here's where the pilots didn't recognize the problem

Not trying to put the cause on the crew. Just pointing out that even if you think you're doing everything right, something can and will go wrong.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Helldump Immunity posted:

That poo poo was unreal. Word is the pilot did some legit hero stuff to get it home safe.

The wonkiest birds were always the ones straight out of depot.

There was another one that caught fire during take off after a contractor serviced it; wiring or electrical equipment issue IIRC

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Syrian Lannister posted:

There was another one that caught fire during take off after a contractor serviced it; wiring or electrical equipment issue IIRC

That might be the Rivet Joint I mentioned. It was fresh out of depot, which is operated by L3. Here's a great article with some :catstare: pictures.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Forecast has us predicted to get 2-3 inches of snow on Friday and the talk of shutting the base down is already in motion. I love this time of year, so many free days off to take the kid out sledding and still get paid.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fallon's opening late today. Our forecasted 2" of snow overnight is 8 and counting. Easily the most snow I've seen in my two winters here.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

It's raining here at Barksdale. But the rain is cold. That's how I know it's winter.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I missed this story back in Nov, but apparently a KC-10 lost it's loving boom.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
So engines falling off of B-52s is now a thing. Spin that the right way and it's a good OPR bullet for "Improvised novel anti-pers ordnance; 1st successful test drop in USAF"

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Wild T posted:

So engines falling off of B-52s is now a thing. Spin that the right way and it's a good OPR bullet for "Improvised novel anti-pers ordnance; 1st successful test drop in USAF"

Needs an impact statement.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
You can carry on Seymour Johnson now. Cool.

http://americanmilitarynews.com/201...&utm_source=goa

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

No, you can't. The first line of the article is wrong, according to the rest of it.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Fake news strikes again :blush:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Monday Blues inspection, Tues - Thurs ABU, Friday Service dress and 7:30 - 16:30 strict duty hours. Commanders Call was a profanity laced tirade on embarrassment and professionalism.

I would expect this from a Maintenance Squadron, but flyers? It was hilariously cringe worthy.... I wish I recorded it.

At best, I give it two weeks before everything is back to normal.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Nope its true, you can pretty much have it in your car and not have to worry about it, I forgot what all the specifics are besides not carrying it on your person.

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

Heh, seymour johnson.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Rythe posted:

Nope its true, you can pretty much have it in your car and not have to worry about it, I forgot what all the specifics are besides not carrying it on your person.
Yeah, it's just that when people say "carry" they usually don't refer to leaving something in their car.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
brb going TDY to SJ to CCW in the BX

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

xaarman posted:

Monday Blues inspection, Tues - Thurs ABU, Friday Service dress and 7:30 - 16:30 strict duty hours. Commanders Call was a profanity laced tirade on embarrassment and professionalism.

I would expect this from a Maintenance Squadron, but flyers? It was hilariously cringe worthy.... I wish I recorded it.

At best, I give it two weeks before everything is back to normal.

That was the reaction to a suicide? :stare:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Godholio posted:

Clearly, he killed himself because nobody opted to wear their ribbon racks during mandatory blues day.

I mean, your ribbons, you earned them, you should wear them. Anyone who chooses not to is an unprofessional shitbag.

Just look at all the oak leaf clusters on my good conduct ribbon.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I have a friend who's a recent electrical engineering college grad with a civilian job offer at Hill AFB working on some variety of AFMC retrofits/updates for aging aircraft. He's wondering if it's a good starting position for an electrical engineering career in general, what specific type of EE (RF, power, electronics, etc.), and if Hill's community is too white-bread Mormon for a BBQ/booze-loving man like himself. He's an electronics guy, mostly.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Godholio posted:

Plot twist!

https://casetext.com/case/united-states-v-dzwonczyk

My guess was that the theatrics that happened today were supposed to go on Tuesday, but it was put off a few days because of the suicide.

On the plus side, apparently I have some ill-fitting old style ABUs with pin on rank I can force myself in for a few days.

quote:

I have a friend who's a recent electrical engineering college grad with a civilian job offer at Hill AFB working on some variety of AFMC retrofits/updates for aging aircraft. He's wondering if it's a good starting position for an electrical engineering career in general, what specific type of EE (RF, power, electronics, etc.), and if Hill's community is too white-bread Mormon for a BBQ/booze-loving man like himself. He's an electronics guy, mostly.

I can't speak for the job side of things, but my F-16 friends have great things to say about Ogden. More info in this thread: http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/topic/21515-hill-afb/#comment-416497

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Hey, hey, whoa.

Let's all take a resiliency check at page 2. This is the air force thread after all.

The air force is dumb and gay.

Okay? Post your own Green Dot stories ITC.

Green dot starts with YOU.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
What do green dot and red dot look like to a red-green deficient person? :catstare:

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

A transparent CYA attempt by the Air Force before the inevitable next big-news rape?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arc Light posted:

A transparent CYA attempt by the Air Force before the inevitable next big-news rape?

Is that really a question

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

xaarman posted:

I can't speak for the job side of things, but my F-16 friends have great things to say about Ogden. More info in this thread: http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/topic/21515-hill-afb/#comment-416497

There are plenty of decent non-chain restaurants and more decent microbrews and brewpubs than you'd expect. Everyone within 20 miles of Hill is either military or Mormon, and each group drinks as much as you'd expect. Most GIP posters would fit in well with SLC's relative liberalism, vs the rest of the state's religious-based conservatism.

If I were rich and in Utah, there's no doubt I'd live up in the Morgan area, or somewhere else on that side of the Wasatch Mountains. That thread's pretty on-point.

xaarman posted:

Plot twist!

https://casetext.com/case/united-states-v-dzwonczyk

My guess was that the theatrics that happened today were supposed to go on Tuesday, but it was put off a few days because of the suicide.

Wait, the defendant was one of yours? And for his shenanigans they're putting the squadron through the ringer? :wtc:

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Smertrisol is that you?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That should be a one-way ticket to ADAPT :lol:

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
https://www.stripes.com/news/programs-to-improve-usafe-begin-with-bettering-the-look-of-its-bases-1.14514

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Combat Touch huh? I smell a Red Dot!!!!

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

Foglesong :allears:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Godholio posted:

Wait, the defendant was one of yours? And for his shenanigans they're putting the squadron through the ringer? :wtc:

Nah, the squadron was already trash it seems, the ringer was put off because of this guy's suicide.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Foglesong :allears:

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
I love how he tried to do the same poo poo at the university of Mississippi he pulled at his bases.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Foglesong was right all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
I'm on 3 months of terminal leave with no wife, no kid, no work, no responsibilities, and sitting on a ton of cash. If I was single, I'd go to Australia (cuz summer) and pound jungle fever craving pussy like it was going out of style.

But tbqh I think I'm just gonna chill in my moms unoccupied downtown luxury condo, buy an Xbox or ps4 (haven't decided which one yet) and just play madden all day every day while getting swole at the gym.

Every instinct tells me I should be getting blackout drunk, raging, and partying at the bars which are like literally a block away. But I think I might just be turning into a boring old man.

• Locked thread