Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Depends on your employer. If you're paying for it all yourself, it'll be higher. If you have a family, it'll be much higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
So healthcare is legit the #1 benefit to staying in because it's literally unaffordable.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Probably. But then there's military doctors and the VA, which kind of drag down the value of the healthcare you're getting.

I'll say this: the one time I had to go off-base for treatment, the system worked. The base clinic couldn't do poo poo so I got a ride to the ER. Had an MRI or CAT scan or something (I didn't really care) got some pain shots, had a minor surgery and spent the night. A couple of follow up appts in the following weeks. I never saw a bill, got any kind of flak or anything. It's probably the only time I ever saw the bureaucracy work as advertised.

Edit: I pay ~170 or so for medical and dental per month to cover my son and I. I can't recall how much the employer pays, but it's a lot more than my share.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 20, 2017

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
But at least your 'not' paying for it.

Jeez $900 a month for health insurance lol gently caress this country

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I'm at just under 600 a month for two kids and me.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
They're not kidding when they tell you you will need a ~$65k a year job as soon as you get out to not feel it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
bear in mind median wage in the US is $27-28k and household is $51k

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Yea so it's rough out there and my quality of life is going to take a nose dive when I'm finally kicked out/allowed to retire.

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

pretty much rollin with the dad farm these days

Larry Parrish posted:

Every time I get reminded of all the cool officers I've worked for and with, Godholio posts and reminds me how ABMs really are

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:laughs in contractor:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
lol https://www.reddit.com/r/AirForce/comments/2kslvh/air_battle_managers_reputationperception/

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

whatspeakyou posted:

Is this thing still a briefing where "we're not trying to convince you to stay in, but here's a giant packet of bullshit that makes civilian life look like a giant mistake" occurs? I don't really recall the one I had to sit through but I vaguely remember it including this.

To be fair, civilian life is a giant mistake. Almost as big a mistake as military life.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Ceiling fan posted:

To be fair, civilian life is a giant mistake. Almost as big a mistake as military life.

Quoted for truth

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Deborah Lee James is gone, so we can all say goodbye to one of America's worst SecAFs. Under her tenure the Air Force eagerly slashed personnel, immediately realized it should not have slashed personnel and spent the next few years furiously doing nothing to stop the manpower crisis all while spending all its political capital on establishing a new low point of trust between Congress and the Air Force. I look forward to seeing whether she can do more damage to American military readiness on the board of whichever defense contractor she's undoubtedly going to immediately go work for.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
But we got full sleeve tats under her watch!

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
I remember when Gen Petraeus, still AD, made a joke about the Air Force... google says back in 2009:

quote:

Petraeus, speaking to an annual Marine Corps Association Foundation dinner on July 30, praised the leathernecks while taking tongue-in-cheek shots at both the Army and the Air Force. "A soldier is trudging through the muck in the midst of a downpour with a 60-pound rucksack on his back," Petraeus began. "'This is tough,' he thinks to himself. Just ahead of him trudges an Army Ranger with an 80-pound pack on his back. 'This is really tough,' he thinks. And ahead of him is a Marine with a 90-pound pack on, and he thinks to himself, 'I love how tough this is,' " Petraeus said to appreciative cheers from his audience.

"Then, of course, 30,000 feet above them, an Air Force pilot flips aside his ponytail," he added to howls of laughter and applause from the Marines. "— I'm sorry, I don't know how that got in there I know they haven't had ponytails in a year or two — and looks down at them through his cockpit as he flies over. 'Boy,' he radios his wingman, 'it must be tough down there.' "

I remember people at work getting all bent out of shape, and actually upset about this. "Maybe he wouldn't be thinking that without air support" "lets see how he does without space" "good luck getting to the fight without us" etc etc

I thought his comment was funny and went on living my life.

What am I getting at?

Learn to laugh at Rek's posts, and stop taking them so seriously. I think they're pretty funny.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
That was inter service ribbing that's as old as the branches are.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

xaarman posted:

"lets see how he does without space"

That's probably my favorite one. Like some pissant 19 year old A1C at Peterson is the thin blue line between order and chaos around the world. Actually, it'd be some Captain who went to SOS and bought their profession of arms bullshit hook, line, and sinker.

If people haven't figured out that the DoD's only real role is to help the DJIA generate solid returns, then idk what to tell them other than maybe drawing stick figures in crayon.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Boy you sure have it all figured out

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
I like to use these opportunities to educate those not fortunate enough to figure these things out on their own.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Such a platform of privilege doesn't come around every day.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
One of our new Airmen managed to somehow delete the entire medical readiness training spreadsheet for the whole hospital, leaving himself as the sole person on the list with his AFSC plastered next to his full name and all of his overdue training for everyone to see.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 29, 2017

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

How the hell did he have anything more than read access to that? Other than that, that is hilarious.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Goddammit the Air Force thread had fallen off the front page and I was hoping it would stay there.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
We're all busy processing what goes on in the CE thread to bitch about the Air Force right now.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Has anyone seen the AF thread? It would be a mistake to bump it.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Lite_Sleepr will enjoy this.

So I'm about 23 days shy of sewing on MSgt, and have to turn a Chief (gasp) from my Group's (double gasp!) kid out. She's coming in to extend her dependency past 21, but the only documentation she's got is a letter from her college back in November for last semester. Her 21st birthday isn't until May of this year, so I explain that I can get her extended benefits set up 90 days out but I'm gonna need something showing current enrollment, not full-time last semester with "expected to return" in the spring since I have no way of knowing she's still a student, and TRICARE is kinda expensive.

Cue the acting MPS sup rolling in and overriding me in front of my guys before I can pull him to the back for a big boy talk. When I straight up tell him this was an answer he wouldn't give to SrA XXX but is giving to CMSgt YYY, he balks and acts indignant. Okay, cool. It's a policy disagreement then, I'm gonna call up to my good buddy Ed at AFPC who runs their DEERS policy program for clarification. He immediately tells me to wait until after the kid has their card before I send a message to find out the answer. Yup, bad sign - that tells me you know it's wrong but you're too petrified of one Chief to follow AFI, especially once you rear end-kissed him and promised a result. I tell him there's no way we'll do it, he says he'll cover the hit, I tell him bullshit because my guys will have to do the work and will be ultimately responsible.

After he shuts the gently caress up and listens to the second and third order effects (which would be said Chief's kid being potentially stranded in Europe with no TRICARE or ID until she could unfuck things with her school) he now has to go slinking back to the MSG/CCC he just made mealymouthed promises to and tell him just kidding.

So, AFI and doing the right thing over politics and an E-9. What's the over-under on me losing my line number in the next three weeks?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
If all nobles must hang, all Chiefs must be drawn and quartered. It's the classical punishment for treason.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

You did the right thing, but of course you already know that. Better to ruffle feathers than get busted covering for someone who's ineligible. If the kid is actually enrolled in the new semester, she can get the paperwork to substantiate it.

Even in the more hosed up units I've seen, there's no way you'd lose your line for that. You made the acting sup look like a total chump, though, so he'll probably hate you.

Edit: you can ID the enlisted traitors early by whether or not they spring for mess dress when they make MSgt.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
It took half the day before I received an email that was free of spelling errors.

Also someone apparently shook their dick all over a toilet seat in our clinic so our chief of cardiology took a picture on his phone and made us pass it around at our end of day meeting while yelling at us about how we should know how to use the toilet and that we need to treat the women in our clinic better and that if it happens again the male NCOs will be cleaning the toilets.

This is not the first time someone has pissed ON the toilet.

Also it's a public toilet so it could literally be some old rear end WWII vet pissing on it.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
I make a habit to piss all over the place inside military restrooms. Even as a retiree. Decades now and I guarantee I haven't pissed one drop in the toilet.

It's fine. Everything is fine.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Wild T, in my experience you'll get to pin on, but be sure that you'll get Not Readys as long as that person is in charge.

Source : overly vocal TSgt with butthurt leadershit

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every time the guy from P&S was a dick about scheduling I'd go upstairs and piss all over the toilet closest to his office

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
so in the 5 months i have switched ANG units I will probably be picking my 3rd AFSC in that time.

Originally went to WA to be 1N4, then interstate transfer to 1N0, now my new unit is telling me that 1B4 is the main driving AFSC of our unit......and theyre offering a slot to me.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
You want a 1N job of some sort.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
1B4 is where it's at. PM me if you have questions.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
WAPS tested today and we had three no-shows.
I don't understand it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

People want out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

People want out.

Already informed my command that I do not intend to re-enlist in March, partially due to health issues, but otherwise also due to the current state of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I make a habit to piss all over the place inside military restrooms. Even as a retiree. Decades now and I guarantee I haven't pissed one drop in the toilet.

It's fine. Everything is fine.

What about poo

• Locked thread