Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Is the Air Force caught up I this nude picture scandal or did they escape a sex scandal for the first time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Little Garry Parrish posted:

Retention is just fine, comrade. Pay no attention to shrinking ideal manning numbers

The solution to the manning issue is just to change the "requirement." It's just a few ppt slides. No need to check with the operational side, either, AFPC can take care of it.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Godholio posted:

The solution to the manning issue is just to change the "requirement." It's just a few ppt slides. No need to check with the operational side, either, AFPC can take care of it.

Remember when our former CSAF said we'd finally be telling Congress we'd be doing "less with less"?

:roflolmao:

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

SalTheBard posted:

Is the Air Force caught up I this nude picture scandal or did they escape a sex scandal for the first time?

The entire DoD is being looked at, but so far its the Marines who are getting poo poo all over.

Don't worry though. The AF is going to get caught up in it. Again.

This same thing happened a few years ago.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Air Force has plenty if incel 4chan babies so eventually some of them will get caught up in it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

incel or intel

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

incel or intel

are one and the same.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
Watched my first OTS graduation. Had a guy completely flub part of his oath and if anyone was recording it, they''ll be able to hear me cackling from the back of the auditorium. Had another guy completely lose it on stage and start openly weeping. Not sure what's up with that but I'd be concerned about giving that guy bars.
Not the worst thing I'd ever sat through but probably wouldn't watch another one.

In other news, I guess I'm going to Korea soonish. How likely is it that Best Korea nukes me while I'm there? What's the best way to enjoy my last year on this Earth while I'm over there?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Get to know Songtan Sally real well. If Best Korea takes the shot, you'll never get another chance.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
She's doesnt hang out in Songtan very much anymore, think I only saw her roaming the SED a couple times last year so your odds aren't good. But yeah you are probably going to get nuked, good luck.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Belgian Waffle posted:

Watched my first OTS graduation. Had a guy completely flub part of his oath and if anyone was recording it, they''ll be able to hear me cackling from the back of the auditorium. Had another guy completely lose it on stage and start openly weeping. Not sure what's up with that but I'd be concerned about giving that guy bars.
Not the worst thing I'd ever sat through but probably wouldn't watch another one.

In other news, I guess I'm going to Korea soonish. How likely is it that Best Korea nukes me while I'm there? What's the best way to enjoy my last year on this Earth while I'm over there?

One of my best friends was in that class. A TSGT from CE who will be Cyber Operations....Was stationed at Guam before OTS....

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Ragaman posted:

She's doesnt hang out in Songtan very much anymore, think I only saw her roaming the SED a couple times last year so your odds aren't good. But yeah you are probably going to get nuked, good luck.

Yeah, she's been working Itaewon on weekdays. Saw her a while ago while we were getting a taco bell nightcap and she offered my friend a blowie for a taco. Stay classy Sally.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I dunno the exchange rate but a blow job from anyone for a Taco Bell taco sounds like a bargain

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Knives Amilli posted:

One of my best friends was in that class. A TSGT from CE who will be Cyber Operations....Was stationed at Guam before OTS....

A guy from my Guard CE squadron was in that class too. Kinda nice actually, because I just went through last year, and I won't be the junior LT anymore. Not like it matters anyway, because :lol: Guard

Downs Patrol
Dec 16, 2004

my reputation is built upon a solid foundation of bananas

CommieGIR posted:

Outprocessing in March. Woo

How long did your process take once your C&P Narsum was submitted to MEB?

After 225+ days of being coded 37 for IRILO, i FINALLY see VA for exams!

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
AFPC fixed my leave issue in under a month. Someone pinch me, I'm clearly dreaming.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Who wants to take a guess on how much fun it is to be Active Duty deployed with the Reserves as the controlling organization and all of their "trained" mechanics? I'll give you a hint they are 90% retarded and deserve to burn.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Downs Patrol posted:

How long did your process take once your C&P Narsum was submitted to MEB?

After 225+ days of being coded 37 for IRILO, i FINALLY see VA for exams!

It took 8 months for the MEB to even get back down to the Squadron level. Even then, my commander was like 'I haven't seen a damned thing'.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Rythe posted:

Who wants to take a guess on how much fun it is to be Active Duty deployed with the Reserves as the controlling organization and all of their "trained" mechanics? I'll give you a hint they are 90% retarded and deserve to burn.

LOL in the Guard it was typically strapped for cash weekend warrior airmen who deployed (the actual knowledgeable AGRs and Technicians hated deploying with a passion). I imagine its no better in the Reserves.

A buddy of mine back in fuel systems played Mortal Kombat X the entirety of his deployment at the Deid. He was not popular with few of the AD personnel who witnessed this.

Knives Amilli fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 26, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I thoroughly enjoyed deployments, but we were also at the Deid and when we didn't have actual work, I got the crew chiefs into Kerbal.

But I was a TG with a full time IT consulting job.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Knives Amilli posted:

LOL in the Guard it was typically strapped for cash weekend warrior airmen who deployed (the actual knowledgeable AGRs and Technicians hated deploying with a passion). I imagine its no better in the Reserves.

A buddy of mine back in fuel systems played Mortal Kombat X the entirety of his deployment at the Died. He was not popular with few of the AD personnel who witnessed this.

I think a lot of the weekend warriors/TRs thought they would come out here for two months and do nothing but get paid. We have TSgts and below out there launching/recovering airplanes, doing tows, FOD walks, food runs and any other task you can possibly think of that requires very little skill to accomplish. For the most part they are hating life, on the down side we are severely limited on knowledgeable individuals, I have a SrA as the NCOIC on day shift over a SSgt 7 level and another SSgt 5 level and pretty much myself on the night shift is about it. Makes for some very fast night at least and I get to hear a bunch of 3/5 level TSgts bitch about doing Airman duties.

I don't understand how a command that is running the deployment can justify sending 3 levels, cross trainees and week end warriors and expect them to actually do there job and actually accomplish any part of the mission/tasking. Whenever the Active Duty leads have a day off they always come in the next day to a poo poo storm of missed sorties, jobs not finished and just general chaos, tomorrow is going to be fun.

Overall I just sit back and laugh, do my job and just watch the insanity that is this deployment, though this is a cake rear end trip so far. Also don't get me started on weekend warrior pilots, I actually like our Active Duty aircrew but the TRs are just a batch of princesses that need everything perfect before they want to fly, the AD guys pretty much ask is it flyable and off they go, I love it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Knives Amilli posted:

A buddy of mine back in fuel systems played Mortal Kombat X the entirety of his deployment at the Died. He was not popular with few of the AD personnel who witnessed this.
Here the technicians and AGRs shove their way to the front of the line to pad their retirements. Leaving their guys who only do weekends, and don't have steady jobs, in charge while they're gone.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

"Managing expectations" is a term that gets thrown around a lot in the Air Force, especially in relation to the guard/reserves.

Basically, just lower your expectations until you can be happy with them.

After my first couple deployments, I expected absolutely nothing. Even showing up for work in the right uniform was too much to ask. But then I was pleasantly surprised. A comm reservist was an IT guy in his day job, so he actually knew how to do his job. And another one was a professional baker. She wasn't (initially) a particularly knowledgeable comm technician, but goddamn she kept us well-fed.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
B-b-b-but Total Force!

Even more than this, is there such a thing as reverse-BRAC where we can untangle ourselves from the Army? They ruin everything they touch.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Reservists are a loving joke. Utterly worthless in units with no "no-skill tasks" and the members must be re-certified when coming on duty (if they're not already busy failing PT tests). I have a very low opinion of the worth of the reserve program.

That being said, it's a crazy good deal that I hope to take advantage of one day.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Today while driving around San Antonio I saw a car with a sticker that said "I Love My Airman" next to an Autism Awareness ribbon.

Guessing the kid got one of the intel jobs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Softface posted:

Today while driving around San Antonio I saw a car with a sticker that said "I Love My Airman" next to an Autism Awareness ribbon.

Guessing the kid got one of the intel jobs.

At least two of my previous NCOs are now at Lackland, one as a MTI.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Haha look at these active duty bitches complaining

Y'all take this military poo poo waaaay too seriously. just come over to the reserve side and chill out for a bit while you make the active duty bitches do all the heavy lifting.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Rekinom posted:

Y'all take this military poo poo waaaay too seriously. just come over to the reserve side and chill out for a bit while you make the active duty bitches do all the heavy lifting.

i was attached to 3rd ID during oif3, they were quizzing all the e-4s for an upcoming board they were holding the next week

one of them got smart and asked me for some reg, i was able to reply "bitch im guard. we don't see a board until e6"

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Rekinom posted:

Being chill is the good part about the Reserves and Guard. Deploying in such poor shape you have a stroke just sitting around a tent (happened) or not knowing the basics of your job so other people have to work harder (not exclusive to reservists but more common) is being a piece of poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Derek Dominoe posted:

Being chill is the good part about the Reserves and Guard. Deploying in such poor shape you have a stroke just sitting around a tent (happened) or not knowing the basics of your job so other people have to work harder (not exclusive to reservists but more common) is being a piece of poo poo.

Ran into plenty of Active duty guys who couldn't do their jobs either, but I have the advantage of having been both active and guard doing the same AFSC

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The culture in my unit is mostly that being good at your job is the most important thing and a lot of the stupid poo poo that active duty cares about are ignored. That breaks down sometimes which always sucks, but oh well. As a result we're able to actually retain people who are knowledgeable about their jobs, unlike the other side where good people run away screaming after their commitment is over.

The last active duty shop I spent time with everyone save two wanted out as soon as possible. The two who wanted to stay were the NCOIC tech who had 12+ years in, and a staff who recently got moved into his job after being kicked out of combat comm for a security violation and whom everyone hated.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 28, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Derek Dominoe posted:

i really think that reservist/guard medics bring a lot to the table tbh

we had a shitload of civilian EMT-B's, paramedics, and other medical fields who worked with trauma (especially gsw) every day. I'm in no way knocking active duty medics, but there's a lot that spend their enlistment sitting in a tmc doing sick call and inventory all day.

i'd say about 80% of the people in my unit were actively in school of some kind in their real life, which cut down on a lot of BS as well

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

we had a shitload of civilian EMT-B's, paramedics, and other medical fields who worked with trauma (especially gsw) every day. I'm in no way knocking active duty medics, but there's a lot that spend their enlistment sitting in a tmc doing sick call and inventory all day.

i'd say about 80% of the people in my unit were actively in school of some kind in their real life, which cut down on a lot of BS as well

All of the reserve/guard medics I worked with either didn't have relevant experience (e.g., works in an Ob clinic) or were just plain lazy and looking to get a little tax free money for a couple of months. I'm sure (or at least hope) that's not the norm.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

cyber is the same. Guard/Reserves Cyber is neck and neck with active duty, if not better. Hell I read an article somewhere where a bunch of Reservists demolished an active duty unit in an network penetration/denial exercise.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/...riors/13566549/

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Derek Dominoe posted:

lazy... I'm sure (or at least hope) that's not the norm.

lol

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Knives Amilli posted:

cyber is the same. Guard/Reserves Cyber is neck and neck with active duty, if not better. Hell I read an article somewhere where a bunch of Reservists demolished an active duty unit in an network penetration/denial exercise.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/...riors/13566549/

Same applies to aviation as well, at least for logistical fixed wing units. The reservist pilots in cargo/fuelers always seemed to be a lot better at the job and a lot cooler one on one

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Booblord Zagats posted:

Same applies to aviation as well, at least for logistical fixed wing units. The reservist pilots in cargo/fuelers always seemed to be a lot better at the job and a lot cooler one on one

probably because they're not trying to make O-6 BTZ as a 25 year old

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Try hard officers and enlisted alike are the worst people imaginable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Rekinom posted:

probably because they're not trying to make O-6 BTZ as a 25 year old

I figure that and the fact that most of them are getting more flight hours a month anyhow because they're airline/air carrier pilots

• Locked thread