Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Buca di Bepis posted:

reddit.com/r/buildapc is a good place to go to get a build set up for you based on whatever budget you give the autists

rule #1 is to actually establish a budget before you start looking for stuff

That's awesome thanks. Do I need special tools or solder or anything? I grew up with Macs and only ever played on Xbox before now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

That's awesome thanks. Do I need special tools or solder or anything? I grew up with Macs and only ever played on Xbox before now.

Nah, building a machine is pretty much like LEGO. If you end up with a solder iron, you hosed up really bad.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 11, 2017

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Frosted Flake posted:

A philips head screwdriver really.

And patience

And beer

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget your fancy bracelet!

You might need thermal paste like arctic silver, but if you're using the heatsink that comes with the CPU it'll already have thermal paste applied.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I added you two fingers.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

No, I don't want to equip the loving chicken hat.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I want these stupid kids to stop running out and dying like idiots.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Frosted Flake posted:

There are only a couple of things that you can really screw up when building a new pc. Just pay attention to how your processor is oriented when you try to put it in the motherboard. There is a notch out of one corner that makes it only fit one way. Do t try to force it to fit any other way or you will bend the pins and ruin it.

Once the processor is in, make sure your heat sink has thermal paste on it before you put it on the processor. Almost all of them should but if not you have to buy paste and put a dime size drop on the processor.

Finally make sure you read your motherboard layout diagram to see where to connect fans (case fans and CPU fans go different places) and you can get your USB ports, leds, and power buttons on your case to work right.

If you can do those three things you can easily build a pc in 2 or 3 hours.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The biggest pain in the rear end is routing cables out of the loving way so you can get to everything else, and try to make it look reasonably tidy. Wire or velcro ties can be a great friend.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tip: get a semi modular PSU with cylindrical wires. Things are way easier if you don't have to tuck away half the wiring harness.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

There are only a couple of things that you can really screw up when building a new pc. Just pay attention to how your processor is oriented when you try to put it in the motherboard. There is a notch out of one corner that makes it only fit one way. Do t try to force it to fit any other way or you will bend the pins and ruin it.

Once the processor is in, make sure your heat sink has thermal paste on it before you put it on the processor. Almost all of them should but if not you have to buy paste and put a dime size drop on the processor.

Finally make sure you read your motherboard layout diagram to see where to connect fans (case fans and CPU fans go different places) and you can get your USB ports, leds, and power buttons on your case to work right.

If you can do those three things you can easily build a pc in 2 or 3 hours.

:ssh: processors don't use pins any more

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Deathy McDeath posted:

I just built two new rigs over Christmas and I didn't even notice that intel chips don't use pins anymore. I just remove the cpu from it's plastic and put it directly into it's socket. I guess that just goes to show how easy things are today compared to how it used to be.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Frosted Flake posted:

Oh yeah read the manuals. Some motherboards require ram to be inserted in a slot that isn't #1.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Okay, and all parts connect to each other?

I'll get a case of beer when the parts come in and spend a few hours assembling things.

Have you guys used PC Part Picker? Are there better tools to figure out what goes together?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
PC part picker is really good, I used it to make sure that all my parts were compatible which was a big fear I had going in.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah PC part picker is my goto for new builds.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I built my rig last year using pc parts picker and a little advice from a buddy and put it together myself in an hour or two at the workbench. Never done it before, but just like everybody else said, things are designed in a straightforward way and click together like lego. If you feel competent with the aforementioned phillips screwdriver, you can do the most difficult fitting and fastening necessary for putting the PC together.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Deathy McDeath posted:

Whaaat? gently caress, now people are gonna think that building computers is easy or something.

Seriously, though, it's easier than ever to put one together. You don't have to worry about any of the weird compatibility issues of stuff that existed even ten years ago. Just pick reputable brands for your parts and you'll do fine, promise.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
if you have serious questions there is a stickied pc building thread in sh/sc

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I was a computer whiz back when I was like 16 and could practically take one apart and put it back together blindfolded.

Had a pentium 4 3.4ghz processor.

Now it's like "get this super fast i7 2.8ghz processor" and I'm so out of the loop that I don't understand how it's faster.

(Don't explain it. I don't really care that much, just an observation.)

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

They're not really "faster," they just get more done in the same amount of time. That's all.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
stop reminding me that my desktop is 6 years old you fucks :mad:

also now i need to upgrade to a better wifi router because comcast upgraded our poo poo to 200Mbps and my router can't even spit out that kind of speed. on the bad side the fuckers implemented their bullshit 1TB data cap in my area :v:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mike-o posted:

also now i need to upgrade to a better wifi router because comcast upgraded our poo poo to 200Mbps and my router can't even spit out that kind of speed. on the bad side the fuckers implemented their bullshit 1TB data cap in my area :v:

Semi related but the wifi at my school sucks on my phone so I've been using more data than usual and I recently lowered my plan to what I was using historically (which is really low).

Turns out at&t now switches you to 2G speeds if you go over your data instead of just charging you more for another 1GB.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Mike-o posted:

So is mine, but it's still chugging along just fine. I used to subscribe to the idea of upgrading every 4 years, but this last one is doing pretty well. The drives haven't even crapped out yet (knock on wood), but that's probably just because I leave the machine on all the time instead of constantly powering it on and off.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I got advanced warfare from the bargain bin at target and I now finally understand the thread title

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Smiling Jack posted:

I got advanced warfare from the bargain bin at target and I now finally understand the thread title

I spent a couple of minutes walking around bumping into things during that scene. Teabagging in front of mourners during a military funeral is peak Call of Duty.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Slickdeals has a PS Plus 1-year code deal at CDkeys, $45.59.

Just bought it, so now I can harass you scrubs from my couch.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I still can't get over how good Skyrim Special Edition looks :stare:

Also been playing some SWTOR and now all I want (but will probably never get) is a game like Shadow of Mordor or the Arkham games except with Jedi...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Watching Jeff Gerstmann of Giantbomb play Titanfall 2 -

Lol it's a completely loving different game on consoles with a gamepad. Guess I made a mistake buying on PC.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I still can't get over how good Skyrim Special Edition looks :stare:

I booted it up the other day but wasn't blown away by it like I was the first time I played it. Maybe it's time to go down the modding rabbit hole.

I installed the new 1060 and now tf2 hitches randomly in multiplayer. Drivers are up to date, so I guess I gotta screw with graphic settings until it stops.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Buca di Bepis posted:

Watching Jeff Gerstmann of Giantbomb play Titanfall 2 -

Lol it's a completely loving different game on consoles with a gamepad. Guess I made a mistake buying on PC.

What's apparently different on consoles?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fart Sandwiches posted:

What's apparently different on consoles?

The way slower pace of aiming of others makes it a lot likely you'll get instantly railgunned the second you show up on someone else's screen, and dealing with the movement of other pilots seems more manageable when they're not doing instant 180s with the mouse all the time.

Kind of the same thing as always with FPS games on gamepads vs. mouse & keyboard, just ratcheted up a little. Maybe I'm just getting old.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
N4I getting back into Elite and joining the Diamond Frogs is a lot of fun. I can understand somewhat how you've been able to keep space trucking now. I'm not looking forward to this engineer grind, though, but I hear it's better with the latest patch.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Can we do a group thing ( :getin: ) in Elite one of these days? I bet HDI would get in on that poo poo. I don't know what I'm doing well enough to do anything on my own besides fly around and run out of fuel en route to a star to scoop.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Godholio posted:

Can we do a group thing ( :getin: ) in Elite one of these days? I bet HDI would get in on that poo poo. I don't know what I'm doing well enough to do anything on my own besides fly around and run out of fuel en route to a star to scoop.

I'm down for that. I feel like I'm in the same boat. I have a Fer-de-Lance right now but I feel like it's half as good as it could be with engineer mods.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've had a hotas for over a year but only in the past couple of weeks did I bother building a stand for it, so I want to try it out on elite. It's pretty great for DCS.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I just want to play Arma at max settings but I'm pretty sure you guys have moved on to new games. What's the GiP game of the month?

Thanks for all the advice. I feel good about this.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Pesticide20 posted:

N4I getting back into Elite and joining the Diamond Frogs is a lot of fun. I can understand somewhat how you've been able to keep space trucking now. I'm not looking forward to this engineer grind, though, but I hear it's better with the latest patch.

It's a million times better. The unlocks are a pain but I found that by taking it one step at a time I was able to whittle it down.

Godholio posted:

I'd be down. In game voice comms is actually really good (with reverb and ~*~immersion~*~ special effects) and wing bounty hunting can be a blast. Just let me know where to point the old Corvette.

I fully admit that I've gone 100% autistic over Elite. It just scratches that open world space game itch I've had for so long.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm currently out in the Xihe system myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Dirt Rally is getting a VR treatment for PSVR
http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/01/announcing-dirt-rally-ps-vr/