Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Gonna fire up Elite and try out this tutorial and figure out how horrible the default controls are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Hmm. Elite looks and sounds really cool on paper.

How's the learning curve compared to EVE? I got about 30 minutes into that before I said nope and uninstalled it. Maybe I just have ADD.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
fwiw EVE is much better now, they actually made something resembling a tutorial I heard

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Wow did not know that. Was just gonna give it to a buddy. Now I'll make that fool pay.

I think Nintendo stopped making them completely a while ago. You can't find any for sale new from any vendor I'm pretty sure that isn't upped in price via a 3rd party seller

The Wii-u is seriously really good imo and has a ton of great games

But yeah give it a month or two I wouldn't be surprised if they start being with a bit. Also I think some people were holding out hoping the Switch would be backwards compatible (lol)

But I mean really paid for online service and all you get for free is some random SNES/NES games to play for that month and only for that month lmao holy poo poo. It's literally releasing with one game. Good on them for using USB-C i guess.

I think they were trying to make up for the Wii-u debacle but looks like they went backwards in every aspect. I'm curious to see how this all pans out

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

pretty much rollin with the dad farm these days
Setting up MAME is a pain in the dick.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

E:D has a bunch of individual training missions, where a radio voice tells you what to do next. The game cues you in on the key bindings you need to do each event; if you change your binding, it shows you the correct one. The trick is figuring out what the gently caress button/switch is JOY 28...but that's what google/reddit are for. One of the missions seems to be bugged for a lot of people, including me, so I couldn't actually complete it even though I did all the things (landing in a space station). And there were a couple of keys bound to two different commands, which was fun to figure out.

Tonight i did all the training missions and challenges except the last one. This game is a hell of a lot more fun with a proper control setup.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Switch seems like a neat console but I thought it was supposed to be Nintendo's emergency fix for the Wii U bombing so hard. It just seems like they didn't learn any lessons and put out an alternate universe Wii U.

Still, looking forward to buying one in 2 years when it's $200 and has a bunch of pack-in games.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Buca di Bepis posted:

alternate universe Wii U

This is exactly what it seems like. The Wii saw success because, despite its utter mediocrity as a console, the motion controllers were novel as hell to people. The Wii U didn't have that novelty factor and relied on it's (lack of) strengths in games, graphics, performance. And that's where we saw Nintendo's real market penetration. Not enough people are willing to spend top dollar for 5 year old performance out of a console just so they can play loving Bomberman.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Have any of you dudes played Everspace? Was it any good?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/396750/

I haven't yet, but it looks like a mashup of House of the Dying Sun and FTL.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't know a soul, myself included, that actually played their Wii after the novelty of the Wiimote wore off. Unless you have small children, in which case whatever.

Like seriously, how many of you that owned one actually used it past two weeks?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vasudus posted:

I don't know a soul, myself included, that actually played their Wii after the novelty of the Wiimote wore off. Unless you have small children, in which case whatever.

Like seriously, how many of you that owned one actually used it past two weeks?

Yo. I enjoyed the gently caress out of Mario Kart, new Mario Bros., and Smash Bros.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I sold mine after owning it for maybe two years. I didn't mess with motion control much, but there were some pretty alright games for it.

Metroid Prime 3, SMG, Mario Kart, and Fire Emblem were the ones I like the most.

Also, the Wii Bomberman game was pretty good.

We have a WiiU but it's mostly for my kids. Although I've put some hours into Minecraft on it.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I preordered the Switch and Zelda on Amazon. They don't charge you until it ships, which is nice because I might still change my mind on it

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Put my PS3 on craigslist last night for $75 and hoped I'd get a bite after a week. Should've listed it for $100, because I got a bunch of loving interest. Damnit.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Anyone else here play Darkest Dungeon? I've sunk about 80 hours into it so far, extremely addicting but tough as nails.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Have a dumb clicker, I wanted to put this in drunk thread but gently caress you every thread is drunk thread

http://jhollands.co.uk/spaceplan/

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So AGDQ just set a record for how much they raised for cancer the other day and it is still going up.

This is a speed run thing that is a week long and has raised over 2 million dollars to help fight against cancer.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
it is good

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Third World Reggin posted:

So AGDQ just set a record for how much they raised for cancer the other day and it is still going up.

This is a speed run thing that is a week long and has raised over 2 million dollars to help fight against cancer.

Speed runs have become really loving dumb, but money for cancer research is good.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
It's good, until they start playing JRPGs. The Paper Mario and FF1 segments were 3-4 hours long, and we're boring as all gently caress, and they scheduled those as prime time segments. The blocks where they speedrun complete trash are way more entertaining, but they do those at 2 AM.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I like their awful games done quick segment, tasbot, and really broken speed runs.

This is tasbot.

Go to 8 minutes in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOsvuEA2h4w

I mean 11

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ded posted:

Speed runs have become really loving dumb, but money for cancer research is good.

an opinion so edgy it wants to join the marines and kill people.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Oh, poo poo, I didn't know that Everdraed did the animations for Undertale.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The Last Guardian is pretty drat excellent. Trick, the cat bird dog, is so animal-like. Doesn't even feel like an AI. Also his noises and grunts scare my cat.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Have a dumb clicker, I wanted to put this in drunk thread but gently caress you every thread is drunk thread

Well, this is stupid fun. Goodbye Sunday.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hell yeah

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

This is....pretty neat.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

holocaust bloopers posted:

The Last Guardian is pretty drat excellent. Trick, the cat bird dog, is so animal-like. Doesn't even feel like an AI. Also his noises and grunts scare my cat.

Yeah I've been meaning to grab a copy. Not one for that type of game but I figure with all the praise should give it a go. If you or anyone else has a copy they want to sell let me know I'll grab I

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Last night I finally won a game of Mario Party (by the skin of my teeth and a stroke of luck) for the first time in the 20 or so years that I've been trying to. :toot:

I still hate Mario Party.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Totally just named my ship "Spudnik".

e: Turns out that's already a thing. I guess that joke is too obvious. :downs:

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 15, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The good part is it is a clicker with an ending.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

yo this owns

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Two Finger posted:

yo this owns

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

It's there new world filter or something?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Two Finger posted:

yo this owns

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

i just beat this and i feel like i need to change my life

where did i go wrong that this is basically all i did on a sunday afternoon

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:lol: I left it running because I had to make an appt. Came back a couple of hours later to a few billion watts and finished it off in 3 more minutes. Playing it again anyway.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Just finished the clicker game. Really liked it. Excellent ending

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

MancXVI posted:

i just beat this and i feel like i need to change my life

where did i go wrong that this is basically all i did on a sunday afternoon

Be happy you didn't play a "true clicker" that never ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Some exciting alien-related poo poo going down in Elite :jeb:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/322482-Carnivorous-Space-Elves-AKA-The-Guardians