Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I take it that Magicians is: we want to do Hogwarts, but with sexy grad students instead of children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
So, uh...I'm watching my first episode of Catfish. The one with Catherine and Graham.

I'm pretty sure this was one of the tamer ones (I heard about one where someone thought he was talking to Katy Perry for 6 years, lol), and somehow it still broke my brain. Pretty sure this show's not for me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lycus posted:

I take it that Magicians is: we want to do Hogwarts, but with sexy grad students instead of children.

Pretty much, in the books they were college freshmen instead of grad students so it was more sexy teens. Also in the books the college stuff is over before the end of the first novel. Their entire time at school is kind of uneventful and stuff only really pops off once they graduate.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DivisionPost posted:

So, uh...I'm watching my first episode of Catfish.

Couldn't stand the film and the show is almost as bad. Mainly due to the main guy, he's just so incredibly annoying and I can't trust a single thing they do is legit.

Watch the movie 'Tickled' from last year. It's far more entertaining and everything I wanted when I read the description for Catfish which turned out to be a damp squib.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The things that are played up as huge indignities in Colony are so Californian it hurts.

"Oh no, I have to RIDE THE BUS. After that, I'm forced to CLEAN UP A KITCHEN."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

punch drunk posted:

Anyone else watch The Kettering Incident on Amazon? Bit of a Twin Peaks mystery/thriller type thing that had me pretty hooked all the way through. A lot of people apparently had a problem with the finale but I enjoyed it and it seems to be confirmed for a second season anyway so I suggest checking it out.

Yeah it's pretty good. Very X-Files/Twin Peaks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

So, uh...I'm watching my first episode of Catfish. The one with Catherine and Graham.

I'm pretty sure this was one of the tamer ones (I heard about one where someone thought he was talking to Katy Perry for 6 years, lol), and somehow it still broke my brain. Pretty sure this show's not for me.

Dude, Catfish is brilliant, marathon that poo poo! The more recent seasons are super crazy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lycus posted:

I mean... don't we all?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lycus posted:

Lev Grossman wrote The Magicians. Here's what he said about Halo 3 for Time magazine.

quote:

Like a pebble that has been rounded over the centuries by the gentle splashing of the ocean waves, Halo 3 has become the perfect hardcore first-person combat simulator. By dint of painstaking labor on the part of its developer, Bungie, it has been refined over three installments to the point where it delivers only pure, unadulterated gaming bliss. Every combat is even-sided and complex and can be waged in multiple ways, using an arsenal of long- and short-range weapons, plus grenades and hand-to-hand moves. Every level is perfectly paced and balanced and graced with soaring architectural compositions. Plus it's graphically gorgeous. The epic storyline and the stirring score don't hurt either. In one of the greatest years video gaming has ever seen, Halo 3 is the very best of the bunch.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

Couldn't stand the film and the show is almost as bad. Mainly due to the main guy, he's just so incredibly annoying and I can't trust a single thing they do is legit.

Watch the movie 'Tickled' from last year. It's far more entertaining and everything I wanted when I read the description for Catfish which turned out to be a damp squib.

I enjoyed Tickled but much like Catfish I thought it was weird that the marketing and trailers spent so much time hyping up the INCREDIBLE TWIST that you WON'T SEE COMING and it turns out to be...exactly what you expected it would be. It would have been an actual surprise if it had been literally anything other than a gross old man pretending to be a woman on the internet.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lycus posted:

Sort of, they don't spend a great deal of time actually in school doing school stuff.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Holy loving poo poo, tonight's Sweet/Vicious.

The show just keeps getting better.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

Sort of, they don't spend a great deal of time actually in school doing school stuff.

Remind me how much of Harry Potter actually involved schoolwork?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hogwarts is as much a character as everyone else. This it's just a place where they learn magic.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Lev Grossman wrote The Magicians. Here's what he said about Halo 3 for Time magazine.

He's also the dude who called GRRM "The American Tolkien"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oh Snapple! posted:

For a minute I thought that said "The American Toilet"

Checks out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I pretty much thought the Magicians books were HP with boning too, to be honest.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
OK guys, the Librabarbarian has an opinion on a book :D

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey Sen/whoever, is the Discord meant to be an IRC replacement, or are they co-existing?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Magicians is basically if Harry Potter was obsessed with Narnia and then discovered at Hogwarts that it was real, one of the kids was visiting him in his dreams, and Valdemort was actually an evil monster from there.

Only in this version Harry didn't get brought to Hogwarts when he was 10, but instead made it to his twenties as a depressed and horribly socially broken loser, Ron is an rear end in a top hat because he's spent his whole life trying to keep voices out of his psychic head, and Hermione got rejected by Hogwarts and instead of going to a safety school she obsessively learned magic from any sketchy and dangerous person she finds in any back alley while Harry dodges her calls because he's bitter about being friend zoned.

I'm actually rewatchng S1 now for some reason (it's solid background noise that I don't really care if I'm not paying attention to while I do other things) and even though it's still had trash it's much less bad binged and still sounds way better then the books. Mostly it sounds like the show just tightened up a lot of dragging, boring story plots and made the characters marginally less unlikable assholes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Also I can look at Alice all day long.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Guy Mann posted:

I enjoyed Tickled but much like Catfish I thought it was weird that the marketing and trailers spent so much time hyping up the INCREDIBLE TWIST that you WON'T SEE COMING and it turns out to be...exactly what you expected it would be. It would have been an actual surprise if it had been literally anything other than a gross old man pretending to be a woman on the internet.

I think I was lucky that I saw it early enough in the run that all I knew before going in was that it was weird, rather than being overhyped. While it's endpoint isn't unexpected, the level of insanity before they get there is jaw dropping at points whereas in Catfish I spent the whole time waiting for a single interesting thing to happen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

Tolkien couldn't write very well, maybe it's not a compliment.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this! posted:

Pretty much, in the books they were college freshmen instead of grad students so it was more sexy teens. Also in the books the college stuff is over before the end of the first novel. Their entire time at school is kind of uneventful and stuff only really pops off once they graduate.

Yeah, I've always referred to it as Jersey Shore: Harry Potter edition. Once they get out of school they get free money because magic and then bum around being depressed sociopaths loving and hurting each other's feelings then they go to not narnia.

Also the show does not do the forums Julia finds the high level magic dudes on justice in how utterly cringeworthy it is. Mu Zeta posted an example of the author's overwrought creative writing 101 prose, it just gets worse than that.

All that being said of the books (I never did get to the last one) I enjoyed the show for what it was.

GreenNight posted:

Also I can look at Alice all day long.

Yeah and that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

whowhatwhere posted:

Remind me how much of Harry Potter actually involved schoolwork?

Harry and friends do a fair bit of schoolwork but usually only when it's relevant to the plot somehow.

This year is the 20th anniversary of the first Harry Potter book. I've been planning on reading them again at some point this year (I only read them as they were coming out, so it's a full 20 years since I read the Philosopher's Stone) although I reckon they probably won't hold up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Harry and friends do a fair bit of schoolwork but usually only when it's relevant to the plot somehow.

This year is the 20th anniversary of the first Harry Potter book. I've been planning on reading them again at some point this year (I only read them as they were coming out, so it's a full 20 years since I read the Philosopher's Stone) although I reckon they probably won't hold up.

I bet they will. I remember them being some genuinely fun writing. The whole Harry Potter phenomenon of movies and toys and spinoffs and jelly bean tie-ins and poo poo makes it easy to forget the qualities of the original product.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

STAC Goat posted:

Magicians is basically if Harry Potter was obsessed with Narnia and then discovered at Hogwarts that it was real, one of the kids was visiting him in his dreams, and Valdemort was actually an evil monster from there.

Only in this version Harry didn't get brought to Hogwarts when he was 10, but instead made it to his twenties as a depressed and horribly socially broken loser, Ron is an rear end in a top hat because he's spent his whole life trying to keep voices out of his psychic head, and Hermione got rejected by Hogwarts and instead of going to a safety school she obsessively learned magic from any sketchy and dangerous person she finds in any back alley while Harry dodges her calls because he's bitter about being friend zoned.

I'm actually rewatchng S1 now for some reason (it's solid background noise that I don't really care if I'm not paying attention to while I do other things) and even though it's still had trash it's much less bad binged and still sounds way better then the books. Mostly it sounds like the show just tightened up a lot of dragging, boring story plots and made the characters marginally less unlikable assholes.

The blonde girl's not Hermione?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I never got around to watching s4 of Continuum, so I'm rewatching the last ep of s3 again to lead into it. God I forgot how bad the fight choreography is in this show.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Wheat Loaf posted:

They hold up fine, and it's always amusing to remember that Snape is supposed to be like 33 or something when the first book starts.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

I bet they will. I remember them being some genuinely fun writing. The whole Harry Potter phenomenon of movies and toys and spinoffs and jelly bean tie-ins and poo poo makes it easy to forget the qualities of the original product.

Harry Potter is good fun so long as remember two things: it is set in a world of magic whimsy that is not and never was trying to be real or realistic, and that even though the later books got darker and more serious it's a series that started as and always was for children.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think I was lucky that I saw it early enough in the run that all I knew before going in was that it was weird, rather than being overhyped. While it's endpoint isn't unexpected, the level of insanity before they get there is jaw dropping at points whereas in Catfish I spent the whole time waiting for a single interesting thing to happen.

I actually found the last 15 minutes or so of CATFISH oddly affecting. I think it takes a really sympathetic approach with her when it really could've gone the other way. Really though, it should've just been a 45 minute thing. I still remember the trailer making it seem like some crazy horror movie (They get a lot of mileage from them showing up to an empty house at night and getting weirded out).

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

DivisionPost posted:

Holy loving poo poo, tonight's Sweet/Vicious.

The show just keeps getting better.

The only problem with the show is that it's on MTV and no one pays attention to it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I started watching Teen Wolf. What a silly show.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

sbaldrick posted:

The only problem with the show is that it's on MTV and no one pays attention to it.

I was one of the first ones to tell you fuckers about Person of Interest and BoJack Horseman. God as my witness, I will drag you all kicking and screaming into this show if I have to.

EDIT: Considering so many of you praised Jessica Jones for how it handled PTSD and feminist issues, I KNOW this could be your poo poo. I'm not going to deny that it looks like it was made for pocket change but god drat do they come out strong on every other front.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 4, 2017

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DivisionPost posted:

EDIT: Considering so many of you praised Jessica Jones for how it handled PTSD and feminist issues, I KNOW this could be your poo poo. I'm not going to deny that it looks like it was made for pocket change but god drat do they come out strong on every other front.

gently caress you, DP. gently caress you.

Sold

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
started watching SHUT EYE on Hulu and wow. it's a fun and good show that also has extremely hosed up death scenes so uh watch out for that i guess. okay thanks

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

started watching SHUT EYE on Hulu and wow. it's a fun and good show that also has extremely hosed up death scenes so uh watch out for that i guess. okay thanks

Yeah, I watched it. It's pretty decent. If you haven't, also check out Chance. It's real good. Better than Shut Eye. Shut Eye is fun though.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I started watching Teen Wolf. What a silly show.

It's good fun up until season 4, then it tanks hard and never recovers. If you're enjoying it, watch through season 3b (yeah, they do split-seasons sometimes, I think it's a tax thing).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Just saw that Archer is getting moved over to FXX. I bet they're happy they got that three-season renewal now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Timby posted:

Just saw that Archer is getting moved over to FXX. I bet they're happy they got that three-season renewal now...

this was probably part of the deal to get extended. they really really want FXX to do better than it is so they don't have to face up to what a dumb idea it was in the first place

fun fact: i get FXX on demand from Sling but can't watch it live. Sling is weird.

• Locked thread