Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

I didn't like Friends when it was originally airing and still don't :shrug:

I'm in the same boat and glad that people are finally catching on. Friends always sucked :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Even contemporary shows of Friends like Newsradio made fun of how unrelentingly White/dull it was. A lot of people at the time it was airing didn't like it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

McSpanky posted:

I'm in the same boat and glad that people are finally catching on. Friends always sucked :argh:

Lots of people liked friends and still do, does that bother you

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Saying Friends sucked is hyperbole. I don’t personally like it, but it resonated with a lot of people and leads a healthy life in reruns.

Now Full House and Home Improvement? Those shows always have, and always will, suck. And don’t get me started on any of Chuck Lorre’s “Insult!” *pause for laughter* “Insulting response!” *pause for laughter* brand of “comedy”.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

lelandjs posted:

If you don't like idiots being unreasonable about idiot things, then you won't like Seinfeld. That's always been true. And I guess if you're used to Always Sunny's brand of "Seinfeld but drunk and/or high on cocaine", then yeah, it's gonna seem a little tame in comparison.

Yeah, Seinfeld is absolutely a proto-Always Sunny, much like Curb. The characters are all completely un-redeemable jackwagons. The charm of Seinfeld is, like someone else mentioned earlier, is that the humor is almost entirely derived from existentialist crises. Nostalgia, for example, with the Frogger episode, or the episode where Jerry botches a perfect relationship because he's too desperate to play with his girlfriend's toys.

lelandjs posted:

Saying Friends sucked is hyperbole. I don’t personally like it, but it resonated with a lot of people and leads a healthy life in reruns.

I hate repeating myself, but Friends is generally enjoyable (for whatever reason, "Pivot--PIVOT!!" is emblazoned in my memory, and the episode about the recliner is gold), but by the third or fourth season Ross was completely pathetic, and then Ted from HIMYM made him look utterly tame in comparison.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Friends had a good cast who worked very hard to save some terrible writing. It was not a good show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I can't recall any actual jokes on Home Improvement. I think I liked it because stuff exploded and he did the dumb laugh but I was also like 9 years old.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Timby posted:

Seinfeld's only weak stuff is the first season (which is five episodes of junk because they had no idea what they were doing yet) and parts of the ninth, notably the finale and some occasional episodes because Jerry Seinfeld himself was completely checked out and doing it for the money

The real sea change was Larry David leaving at the end of season 7. The show that was running in October 1996 was VASTLY different from the one that wrapped in May of that year - a show about obsessive neurotics eager to be offended by everyday slights had been subtly replaced by a live-action cartoon where characters threw balloons of oil from skyscraper windows, and stole jackhammers to recover their keychain by tearing up Manhattan streets. It was still one of the funniest comedies on television, but the transition was pretty jarring.

Mu Zeta posted:

I can't recall any actual jokes on Home Improvement. I think I liked it because stuff exploded and he did the dumb laugh but I was also like 9 years old.

Who can forget every time Tim said "Clean your teeth on my bones."

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Mu Zeta posted:

Seinfeld is the best sitcom in history right behind Newsradio and police squad

Fixed

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Guy Mann posted:

I've never understood why so many people who love shows like Seinfeld and Always Sunny struggle with accepting that the people on Friends are supposed to be terrible people.

t h i s

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Shageletic posted:

(like what the gently caress was the show's thing with gay people?)

It's called the 90s.

I make the same argument with Friends as I do Will and Grace: it was and is an excellent sitcom (personally I like it more now I'm the same age the characters are, as opposed to watching it growing up) but it just may not be for you. It not being your thing doesn't make it bad.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Because shows like Always Sunny and Seinfeld are pretty upfront that their cast is full of terrible people you should be laughing at instead of rooting for.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Travelers s2 on Netflix and holy poo poo that first 10 minutes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Friends was definitely not “supposed to” have terrible hateable characters. It’s not some satirical masterpiece.

I mean I don’t hate it or anything but it’s silly to say that stuff is on purpose

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Popelmon posted:

Two friends also tried to watch it but they didn't even make it through the first season.

Guy Mann posted:

I feel like the current TV landscape where serialization and binge-watching is the norm has kind of poisoned the way that people watch old shows because they start from s1e1 and watch in order and the truth is that a lot of "classic" TV took like two or three seasons to actually get good and since it's episodic you can jump right to the good stuff and miss nothing. Like even fans will admit that Seinfeld is pretty bad until the Chinese restaurant episode or that the first season of The Simpsons is ugly and maudlin and barely resembles the show that everyone actually loves.

I think the latter post sums it up pretty well. Of course the first guy's friends didn't make it through the first season- most sitcoms are weakest at first. Watching shows from the 90's from the beginning is a giant mistake. You won't miss anything by finding out where they get good and starting from there. It's not like Seinfeld has a plot.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think the latter post sums it up pretty well. Of course the first guy's friends didn't make it through the first season- most sitcoms are weakest at first. Watching shows from the 90's from the beginning is a giant mistake. You won't miss anything by finding out where they get good and starting from there. It's not like Seinfeld has a plot.

IMO netflix et al. need a "shuffle" button for shows like this to truly recreate the experience.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

esperterra posted:

It's called the 90s.

I recently watched that movie about Kevin Kline as the closeted guy, and drat that movie's dated.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

withak posted:

IMO netflix et al. need a "shuffle" button for shows like this to truly recreate the experience.

I would love this. A “my channel” feature that shuffles through episodes of 30 Rock, Futurama, Scrubs...

Oh. Wait. None of those shows are on Netflix anymore anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Friends isn't even as good as Married With Children.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I know the show was co-created by a woman but Friends comes from an almost purely masculine angle. I’m only on season 2 but the women have been completely inane and one-dimensional. They openly mock feminism. They read like men talking through female characters.

I don’t know if Seinfeld had female writers (probably not) but Elaine is a more complex, fascinating, believable and funny character than any of the Friends women.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

Friends was definitely not “supposed to” have terrible hateable characters. It’s not some satirical masterpiece.

100%.

I enjoy(ed) the show, but it’s the result of an absolutely toxic writing room. There is no way anyone is written to be hated, - Ross is supposed to be quirky, not the creep he really is. Reading the lawsuits will be enough to convince you.

Seinfeld is definitely one of those shows that does the ‘comedic theatre’ thing to an impeccable degree. It was, until Carmichael Show, the last truly good multicamera. It defined the artform and everything else afterwards was generic fodder at best, with each episode written knowing it couldn’t ever hope to compete with the world that show built.

And it absolutely holds up in 2017, despite some attitudes changing, and technology moving on.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think it holds up better than the first few seasons of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Curb has some terrible acting that makes it a cringefest. On Seinfeld, even the side characters are in top form.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

lelandjs posted:

I would love this. A “my channel” feature that shuffles through episodes of 30 Rock, Futurama, Scrubs...

Oh. Wait. None of those shows are on Netflix anymore anyway.

They're all on Hulu. Well, Seinfeld, 30 Rock and Futurama at least, I dunno about scrubs. But yeah, shuffling them all would be loving fantastic for those nights I can't sleep (literally every night)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Friends isn't even as good as Married With Children.

Scathing but accurate, since Married was entirely meant to be laughed at for how terrible its main characters were. Hell, on the balance it was probably kinder to gays and minorities too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McSpanky posted:

Scathing but accurate, since Married was entirely meant to be laughed at for how terrible its main characters were. Hell, on the balance it was probably kinder to gays and minorities too.

And I don't even really like MWC all that much.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

On Seinfeld, even the side characters are in top form.

To the point where for the whole run, Jerry is generally regarded as ‘the worst character’.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I used to like Spin City but haven't seen it in years so no idea if it holds up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

EL BROMANCE posted:

To the point where for the whole run, Jerry is generally regarded as ‘the worst character’.

It doesn't help that he's the worst actor.

bentacos posted:

I used to like Spin City but haven't seen it in years so no idea if it holds up.

I recall that the comedic timing of the actors does a lot to elevate the run of the mill writing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jerry is a bad actor, but in an extremely funny way. He totally fits in with the others.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It'd be okay if he tried a little harder. Some people like it but I think it's unprofessional and bad when he breaks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think it's bad that it's impossible to tell when he's being sarcastic or not. Admittedly he's almost never not sarcastic, but still.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They're all on Hulu. Well, Seinfeld, 30 Rock and Futurama at least, I dunno about scrubs. But yeah, shuffling them all would be loving fantastic for those nights I can't sleep (literally every night)

For awhile there there were youtube channels that basically did this with various shows, I don't know if those went away or I just haven't seen them in awhile.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wonder if the ad companies would be against having a random shuffle feature because it makes it way harder to research the customer's viewing habits. If someone is consciously deciding to watch 40 episodes of Star Trek in a row that tells you a lot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What everyone has been begging for.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/mad-you-revival-works-1070368

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I recall that the comedic timing of the actors does a lot to elevate the run of the mill writing.

I just saw an episode recently and that is exactly the case.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

EL BROMANCE posted:

100%.

I enjoy(ed) the show, but it’s the result of an absolutely toxic writing room. There is no way anyone is written to be hated, - Ross is supposed to be quirky, not the creep he really is. Reading the lawsuits will be enough to convince you.

Seinfeld is definitely one of those shows that does the ‘comedic theatre’ thing to an impeccable degree. It was, until Carmichael Show, the last truly good multicamera. It defined the artform and everything else afterwards was generic fodder at best, with each episode written knowing it couldn’t ever hope to compete with the world that show built.

And it absolutely holds up in 2017, despite some attitudes changing, and technology moving on.

Frasier was much better at using the multicam setup.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

tk posted:

Frasier was much better at using the multicam setup.

Frasier's staging was indeed excellent, but a large part of that is because their standing sets were great. Frasier's apartment alone is a masterwork in sitcom production design, just for how many different angles could be used.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
In all fairness to FRIENDS, it wouldn't be the juggernaut that it was if it wasn't for that cast.

Also, a reminder of what a lovely person Ross was:

quote:

In case you don’t remember, after two seasons of pining over his dream girl, he finally gets Rachel interested in him. I remember everyone wanting them to get together and for Rachel to give him a chance–and then she does and he never really treats her like a human being for the duration of their relationship.

Ross makes a list when he’s supposed to choose between the woman he meets on his trip, Julie (Lauren Tom), and Rachel. He is a grown man who makes a list of pros and cons like he’s deciding on a car or a house to buy and not the person he loves. Not only that, but one of the cons is that Rachel is a waitress. He literally thinks she is beneath him because she does not have a career. And then, once she gets a chance at her dream job, Ross has a complete meltdown.

From this pretty good piece here: http://www.tracking-board.com/friends-character-ross-geller-is-the-notallmen-prototype/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Roseanne promos

http://www.darkhorizons.com/roseanne-revival-gets-four-new-promos/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

That looks really bad.

I've been watching Roseanne the last few weeks, because I never watched it before... I like it a lot. It's really good. Those promos are bad...

• Locked thread