Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Unkempt posted:

Making History is much better than the trailers made it look.

I liked it, but it should have gotten a hour long or back to back episodes for the pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

You've also confused your multicams and singlecams.

Don't they mute the audience laughter to try and demonstrate its not funny? If a singlecam comedy isn't funny, isn't the evidence right there on screen?

Yeah, a single cam isn't going to have the laugh track, but the device that is over used, at least in two wildly successful shows (The Office and Parks and Rec) is that cut away to the camera, and/or "Jimming". Its still a style that works and serves a purpose. The Office definitely over used it and full on committed to it being a documentary crew. Parks and Rec just kind of had a chance for you to hear the inner thoughts of a character, without it being a full on "mockumentary".

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm sure there are a handful of others, but outside of those two, the UK Office, and Modern Family do any other single cam sitcoms actually do it? It's hardly some epidemic that's used in every half hour comedy show.

I meant that the shows that use that gimmick tend to over employ it throughtout the show, not that every show uses it. Modern Family probably does the best job in terms of using it less often. The Office uses it the most, PnR uses it alot and just a tad too much. Modern Family used it alot at the beginning of the show, but less and less as it went on.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Just saw Comedy Central us launching a new 70s and Sunny lineup of "That 70s Show" and "Its Always Sunny...". A great lineup that will be my background noise for the forseeable future.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Scrubs but then it got good again (and then bad again but I still say s7 is worse than the rebooted s9). But HIMYM is absolutely the gold standard, especially the ending that retroactively ruined the entire show which is extremely rare

Community got worse but didn't go actively off the rails in the same way. Must have been the May 12-Jan 14 break

Community got bad because Dan Harmon left the show but then came back and while it wasn't as good as the first three seasons, it still felt more like those episodes. I honestly don't know about HIMYM's writing history, but did they have the same showrunner the whole time, or at least core writing staff?

I actually think that last season of Scrubs could have worked as a completely different show, or if they only spun like one character off. Instead it felt like were forcing the actors into the show, and you never saw interactions between the old cast. Should have just kept Dr. Cox and developed the new characters.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Timby posted:

Pamela Fryman directed all but like seven or eight episodes, and Carter Bays and Craig Thomas were in charge the entire time.

Man, then thats bizarre. Maybe they just got fatigued.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

HIMYM was strongest when dabbling in its own mythology. The Robin Sparkles/Slap Bet episodes are good because they escaped the typical sitcom stuff and weren't afraid to be a little weird. A lot of the moments meant to be sweet or heartwarming never landed for me, at least not as well as the same moments in a show like Parks and Rec. In fact, the only thing I remember from the show where I was like "thats a genuinely sweet thing to do" was Barney flying across country to get Lily back for Marshall, mainly because NPH nailed the whole thing. HIMYM is a frustrating show for me to talk about it. It had so much potential, and it reached it a few times, just enough to make me keep watching. Then just when I thought, ok this is just another average sitcom it took a big diarrhea poo poo all over itself in the last seasons.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Cart posted:

Pancakes/Divorce/Pancakes Review. Awesome show and criminally underrated.

I would say its underexposed, but not underrated. Everyone I know who has seen it absolutely loves it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I am three episodes through Iron Fist and am not sure what the big deal is. Its got a similar pacing and style to Jessica Jones, which is to say a tad slow, but not distractedly so.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Well sure, everyone knew as soon as Punisher was involved in Daredevil that it was a backdoor pilot kind of situation.

At least Punisher's tendency to loving murder his enemies means they might not make him chase the same guy for 13 episodes, again.

I thought it was more of a test balloon. Like, Marvel/Netflix didn't want to commit to it until they saw the reception of the character. They didn't announce Punisher would be its own series until a few weeks after season 2 of Daredevil.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Timby posted:

Almost certainly never, as that would destroy one of the only reasons people still buy physical media and the studios would break out the pitchforks.

Do the DVD sets of Orange is the New Black and House of Cards have special features?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Does anyone listen to any podcasts that go on about TV shows? I know of the X-Files Files and Gilmore Guys, but I never really watched those shows. I like the West Wing Weekly a lot and the fact that they get so many people from the show including people you would never think of like the set designer.

Any other good TV podcasts out there?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

no idea if this is the right place to ask but: would people be interested in a thread that highlighted the Netflix comedy specials? Discussion could be expanded to other hour long standups but I really want to talk about Dave Chappelle's two new specials. I could put something together rather quickly if there's enough interest

Maybe a thread for stand up specials in general. Comedy Central and HBO usually have a couple big names a year as well. But yeah, I love me some standup and would follow a thread like that. Maybe it could be a place to talk about things like Bill Murray's Christmas Special or Michael Bolton's Super Sexy Valentines special too.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I am confused as to why only Season 6 of American Dad is going off. I get chunks of seasons, but why a single season? Its going to be 1-5, then 7 on up?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

It left for TBS in Season 12. After 193 episodes had been broadcast on Fox.

Yeah, that was fairly recently. I was curious why a random season would go and not any before or after it, so I took a look at the episodes in that season. The My Morning Jacket episode is season 6, and as we saw with Scrubs, the music licensing doesn't always translate to streaming services, so my theory is that there are some licensing issues with music that somehow causes them to pull the season instead of the single episode. This is my own rampant speculation so its probably no where near the reason why.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Timby posted:

"Dwindling" doesn't quite cover it. I forget which website it was, maybe Thrillist, but someone did a study and showed that maybe four years ago, the streaming library comprised like 13,000 movies and TV shows. Today it's a hair under 4,000.

True, but there is also a quality issue. There was a ton of movies that no one watched because they were made on a million dollar budget in 2004.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

bring back old gbs posted:

Doesf Netflix offer their content to broadcsters like Starz? A sharing deal so they can put some Netflix Originals in their schedule and Netflix can stream their stuff?

No, but now Comcast cable boxes are capable of running Netflix, so you get a huge demographic of people who have both cable and Netflix and can run it all on one device. Also, a lot of Netflix originals are also available on DVD/Blu-Ray.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

blunt posted:

Some people chose to leave, but there were no "eliminations" or anything like that. Channel 4 claims they're still going to air the rest of the episodes, but that seems super unlikely.

Personally I'm waiting for the thriller/horror film adaptation where a group of TV executives try to forget about their failed reality project until the contestants track them down.

I feel like you just gave Jordan Peele an assignment.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Making History is an ok little comedy but its nothing special. Its a weird enough premise to maybe check out. Basically, a stupid college janitor finds a time machine and uses it to get a girlfriend in Colonial times but recruits a history professor when he accidently stops the Revolutionary War. Its dumb and not especially good, but ok enough and weird enough that I keep watching.

I think its going to be really good. Adam Pally can be really hilarious, so I am glad he has something. I think the problem with Making History is that they should have shown the first two episodes back to back as an hour long pilot. As a result, the show just feels slow, and I don't think I would feel that way if the first two establishing episodes were gotten out of the way more quickly.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I know everyone says this about every cancelled or soon to be cancelled show, but iZombie would fit in well with the Netflix catalog as an original.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I am rewatching Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip and holy poo poo, the episode Disaster Show might be one of the funniest things Sorkin has ever written.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Timby posted:

Does not compute.

Part of the reason why Studio 60 didn't work is that they showed too much of the skits and they were never funny. This kind of blew that premise out of the water as eerything was supposed to go wrong. Plus Allison Janey is amazing.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Remember that writers guild strike partly started because of the Battlestar Galactica webisodes? And how shows like Friday Night Lights and Breaking Bad had to have short seasons? That was 10 years ago.

It also spawned some fantastic late night creativity because the networks made them go on anyways. That's how you got that weird Conan/Jon Stewart/Colbert rivalry.

Also, apparently they hired scab writers for a bunch of daytime soap operas and they burned through several years of ideas and plot lines in a few months.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Snak posted:

There are load of people who like or dislike things for purely contextual or emotionally reactionary reasons and can't articulate why they feel that way or why they should. These are types of people who can easily get sucked into bullshit. Like you grow up assuming that healing magnets are a scam (and you also think health insurance is a scam), but then your brother's uncle recovers from cancer while using healing magnets. Now you're a believer.

Like, there are loads of people who have never thought about their opinions ever. They just have them as an inherent personality trait and they think that's fine.

I haven't actually watched Bill Nye's new show, just some interviews and promotional material for it, which is what I was reading the tone from. So maybe I'm way off base.

There are also a lot of people that are easily swayed using technobabble and scientific sounding words. Some even have "evidence" or arguments for their efficacy that on the surface looks and sounds good, but needs a little dissecting to see that they aren't correct.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

What's next? A reboot of Hanging with Mr. Cooper? Just let old shows die.

Yes please.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

LionArcher posted:

It wasn't Skype, it was FaceTime. And it was a fantastic episode written (Or co-written? Though since it's a comedy it's more group written than most drama's.) by M Ganz, who was an awesome writer for the first few seasons of Community. She's also very funny on twitter, though post election she's tweeted much less. (Who can blame her though.)

The episode used a bunch of different communications media and a variety of social media. I thought it was a clever way to make a cheap bottle episode.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

10 years ago their strategy was "Give like half a dozen comedians hybrid stand-up/sketch shows and pray like hell we recapture that Chappelle's Show lightning in a bottle"

There were some gems in there though, like Key and Peele, Sarah Silverman Show, Tosh.0 etc.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

precision posted:

Sometimes I think I'm the only person who thought Demetri Martin was funny.

And calling Tosh.0 a "gem" is definitely arguable.

It was pretty funny for a couple seasons, I liked that they interviewed the people in viral videos too. Also, from CC's standpoint its a huge hit with a small budget.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Marvel should just create a character called Dr. Mood. Just have it be how Agents of SHIELD had not-Nightcrawler, not-Electro, and a ton of not-X-Men as inhumans in the TV show. Just reappropriate or invent a new character that is essentially the same but legally different.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Seeing about half the main cast (including the main character) of Once Upon a Time leaving in the next season has me wondering: a) are there any other series (soaps notwithstanding) that dispensed with a large part of their cast like this; and b) did any of them manage to pull it off successfully?

House kind of did it where the team in the frist 3 seasons was basically written to recurring roles instead of feature.

I know its not a typical answer, but Young Justice basically flash forwarded a decade between season 1 and 2, abd had such a major shift. Sure the characters were all there, but the roles were so radically shifted.

Last season of Scrubs did simething similar, and I still maintain that could have been a good show if it was just Dr. Cox and all the new people instead of trying to shoehorn in all the old characters for 3 episodes at a time.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

2 Broke Girls was canceled. Probably the only people that care were the ones who were directly employed by it.

Cool, hopefully that means Kat Dennings will do other stuff worth watching. Hopefully, she ends up being Squirrel Girl in the MCU somehow.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

lelandjs posted:

She's already in Thor and Thor: The Dark World.

I know, I am just hoping she ends up as Squirrel Girl to extend her character arc.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Aren't Key and Peele still doing some things together? Like I thought they went off to do stuff solo, but still had some film deals as a duo to do now and then.

Also, I think Key wants to act more while Peele prefers to direct.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Arist posted:

I watched Speed Racer again this year and that movie's way better than I remembered.

Agreed. If you are going to do an animated series as a live action movie, then you have to embrace the cartoon nature, and I felt the Speed Racer movie really did it well.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

Seth MacFarlene is more than capable of being funny, but his long track record of the opposite obscures that fact.

Yes and no. Like you can tell what seasons of what show he was more active on just in terms of quality. I think his movie career has been kind of a bust, and even then I would say Ted was average with a few good jokes, not bad.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Didn't he write his western movie and the Ted movies? Those are poo poo too. What does he actually care about?

A bunch of seasons of Family Guy and American Dad. Ted was fine, Ted 2 was a paycheck with like 3 good jokes. A Million Ways to Die in the West was poo poo, but still has the funny backstory of getting Liam Neeson to play a cowboy, plus the final death scene which was pretty funny.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Twin Peaks will definitely be up for streaming immediately. How are HBO with that stuff?

I have HBO Now and the stuff is up as soon as it starts airing. The only thing I have noticed is that Last Week Tonight sometimes doesnt go up for a few hours, but I assume thats because of last minute changes and edits since its taped that day.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, thankfully we've all learned how bad it gets when we do the same thing over and over again.

Would you say that all this has happened before and all this will happen again?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Did anyone else watch Terra Nova? It was for the most part a bad show with bad acting, but at the end it got a little Lost-y and I kind of wanted to see where it would go in season 2, just because the possibilities seemed pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I am not an anime person, but my anime friends all told me if I watch one, its the one to watch. I have to admit I enjoyed it, but I think it can be live adapted. The biggest thing will the music. Guardians of the Galaxy showed how a soundtrack can transform a movie, and I hope that Cowboy Bebop Actual does something similar. The only thing I see being difficult to translate to a live show is the crazy cartoonishness of Ed. Everything else is easily adapted to live action.

• Locked thread