Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Boardwalk Empire over House of Cards, definitely. And I like House of Cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I have been watching Colony, and drat it is silly.

7 episodes in, a very silly show.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Sinteres posted:

Disagree about Buscemi. He's a good actor, but he was completely miscast in that role. Every time he was supposed to be physically intimidating to someone (or even worse, actually got in a fist fight), it was kind of ridiculous. I agree about the last season though; turning a gangster story turned into a weird morality play about something that took place decades before the plot even started was kind of a poo poo show.

That thing that happened is referenced heavily in previous seasons and is the start of everything that happens in the show. You sound like a person complaining that a movie didn't have enough splosions.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Sinteres posted:

It didn't come out of nowhere, but the disproportionate focus on Nucky's sins of the past while the show was busy elsewhere covering the rise of organized crime in Chicago and New York made the show a tonal mess. Boardwalk Empire as a show tried to be half a gangster.

The show was about fictional character Nucky Thompson. There may have been a million side people and side stories, but he was the beginning and end of that show. The event we're talking about is central and essential to the motivations of Nucky, the rise to power of Nucky, and where Nucky is at the end of the show.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Sinteres posted:

The show you're describing sounds even worse than the show we got.

You one of them weirdos who thinks Mickey Doyle was the main character the whole time?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Sinteres posted:

I wish. Of course Nucky was the main character, but he often wasn't the best part of the show, and saying that the show begins and ends with him makes all the side plots sound like filler. If that were true, it would be a pretty awful show. Imagine saying Mad Men began and ended with Don Draper and everything about Peggy, Pete, Joan and Roger that wasn't directly tied to Don didn't really matter since it wasn't the point of the show.

You're making some wild extrapolations there. Nucky was the main character, that storyline in the final season was central to his character, that's why it mattered and was not some waste of time.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The things that are played up as huge indignities in Colony are so Californian it hurts.

"Oh no, I have to RIDE THE BUS. After that, I'm forced to CLEAN UP A KITCHEN."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

What is the deal with season 5 of House of Cards anyway?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Sherlock is garbage TV to watch when you want to turn your brain off.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Snak posted:

It's also that, when Sherlock came out, it was a big, "universally loved" must-see. It was huge. So it's kind of a state of backlash where, because the pop-culture assumption is that it is good, dislike must be well-qualified.

I'm not down with the current wave of people being too cool for school about Bendytoots, I think he's great and don't mind him being in almost everything.

Sherlock is still garbage.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Every season until they stop making it.

Who knows what adventures Holmes and Watson will have between now and when the series becomes unprofitable?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ugh that show sounds terrible but like 80℅ of my posts in this thread are about how amazing Rectify is so you picked the right lever to get me to think about it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

X-O posted:

It literally has no correlation to Rectify at all. I'm not even sure why that was brought up.

The person was establishing their credentials as someone with good taste and I at least appreciated that.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm too busy watching Versailles, my new pretty pictures to look at after a draining work day show.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

i love pop-punk so bad

Yo me too.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Every time someone says Sneaky Pete I have to watch the Stinky Pete clips from Sealab 2021.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Timby posted:

I think the accent that Frasier and Niles use is more mid-Atlantic.

I still want someone to answer the question: if Frasier and Niles were brought up solidly middle class, where did they get their snooty tastes from? It's said they got their attitudes and stuff from their mother, but they just wouldn't have the money for most of their lives to develop such expensive tastes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Timby posted:

For those wondering, Netflix just announced that House of Cards S5 drops May 30.

Late as hell.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Speaking of late, has anyone read an interview or anything with the creators of Rick and Morty explaining why they're dragging so hard on season 3?

It is literally impossible to search for Rick and Morty news on the internet without wading through ten thousand fake clickbait "RICK AND MORTY SEASON 3 RELEASE DATE REVEALED" sites because apparently the fanbase is all gullible morons who spend too much time on the internet.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Animation takes awhile Morty, hoooo*burp*oow do you think it's made, do you think that you just magically snap your fingers and all of the frames of the carefully drawn and colored episode appear out of thin air? No, Morty, TV shows are animated by Korean children, children like *belch* you Morty, they're chained to desks and forced to draw every single movement we make until their fingers are numb.

*Rick gives Morty the finger.*

You see that, Morty? Four Korean kids just got arthritis so I could flip you off. Animation is hosed, Morty, and it takes forever.

[Edit: Real answer is that Dan Harmon is a lazy perfectionist]

I enjoyed this post and thank you for writing it.

Still salty about no Rick and Morty and their adventures. Rick and Morty time. Feels like I've been waiting forever and ever a hundred years.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Frontier is wacky and fun.

Is no one else watching Frontier?

*only seen two episodes

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

You all are describing a really crappy version of The Running Man.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Academy awards go to movies that are:
1. About Los Angeles
2. About making movies or show business
3. Set in Los Angeles
4. Really make you think
5. About the Holocaust

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 26, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Edmund Lava posted:

You know this got me thinking about how many comic book based shows have won Emmy's. off the top of my head Batman '66, Batman: the animated series, Walking Dead, and Jessica Jones. Am I missing any?

Not that winning an Emmy is actually a sign of greatness but still.

Lois & Clark criminally ignored.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Rhyno posted:

For good reason.

Take that back.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm not convinced Timothy Olyphant can actually act.

He can seethe.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Girl Next Door was 13 years ago.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm on episode 3 of Baskets and I'm having a hard time enjoying it because I really hate Martha. Should I give up now?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If Martha stays a major character I'm out. I really enjoyed the show otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Season 2 of Bloodline is very good stuff, and I went into it thinking it would be terrible for obvious reasons.

• Locked thread