Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I really like Man Seeking Woman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You were workin as a wai'ress at a cockail baa'ah

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I know you guys are really into Travellers so I was all baked one night and told myself "I'm going to check out that Timeless show those guys wont shut up about!"

So now I'm into Timeless. I eventually realised my mistake and watched Travellers as well, but Timeless hasn't finished airing yet so I'm week-to-week now. It's pretty fun, the good guys basically chase the bad guy through time as he prevents disasters from happening like the Hindenberg, except sometimes he does poo poo like personally shoot Abe Lincoln. I really like the bad guy, and the actor is doing a great job so I'm sort of watching just to see if he can pull off what he's trying to do. Black Scientist is one of the leads, for your Better Off Ted connection.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rhyno posted:

What have we got on tv these days that's in the spirit of Justified?

Quarry, maybe?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rhyno posted:

Sold.

Already watched that and it doesn't seem likely to get a second season.

Did you enjoy it/Did it wrap up sort of? Pilot was alright, I wasn't super compelled to start the 2nd episode.

EDIT: Cool thanks, I'll give it another shot.

Julio Cruz posted:

I got bored with Person of Interest towards the end of season 1 because it was getting pretty formulaic, is it worth picking up again?
The showrunners were still tricking CBS into thinking they paid for a Procedural at that point, season 2 ramps up the mythos a lot more, so if you were into the AI stuff it only gets heavier from S2 onward.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 18, 2017

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

get that OUT of my face posted:

Weekly reminder to watch Man Seeking Woman if you haven't already.

I can't it's a Hardy's

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zaggitz posted:

YO THE GOOD PLACE FINALE SURE WAS loving SOMETHING

HAHA AGREED LIKE drat

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Medullah posted:

Anyone care to spoiler it? I'm so far behind in shows that while it's on the list, there's many more before it. I watched the first 3 episodes but got way behind.

Just watch.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

less laughter posted:

Well, Netflix is spending $6,000,000,000 on original programming this year, so it's only going to get harder to keep up.
That number is not a typo.

lm-loving-ao thats cartoonish, and impossible to counter. All you need is a single hit to erase like 10 flops, and flops are hard to come by when your demographics are so laser focused you can produce a show to target a group of like ~5000 people in a small village in mexico because the algorithm noticed numbers were slumping there.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I recently found a pirate streaming site that not only autoplays, it starts you off at the same place you quit the last time. It's like a pay for streaming service. Fuggin sweet.

Also god drat :smith: that dog episode of High Maintenance

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Check Netflix, check Hulu, check *sigh* ...Crackle.

Not available? Pirate with zero moral dilemma, you've done 150% of the required due diligence if you check loving crackle before googling 'TV SHOW NAME HERE + streaming'. Which is the legit simpler and easier method. Pirate streaming sites don't even have that super compressed tinny audio anymore, poo poo's got nice bass 2 minutes after it's finished airing.

EDIT: Oh yeah Amazon Prime as well, forgot about that

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 2, 2017

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
loving christ those last few shots in episode 2 hahahahahaha

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zerilan posted:

Looking for something of decent length on Netflix to slowly burn through. Is Shameless good?

The US version is very good, the UK one I don't know.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's exactly frame for frame how it appeared in a promo too, nobody edited that gif for timing or to add the logo at the end, that was all marketing

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

raditts posted:

I have no idea what the target audience is for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb2qaaFpNN8

and apparently, neither do most netflix subscribers, since it had a 1-star rating and things on netflix have to be unmitigated poo poo to get rated that low.

woww, thats is exactly NOT up my alley but I absolutely love the animation, I've always wanted to see this style of art done fully 3-d

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah theres no way you've exhausted your supply of unwatched tv shows to the point that a smallville rewatch is on the table. How about rewatching Lost, or The Shield, or Oz! how about you see Oz again?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

precision posted:

Bates Motel is amazing, it kicks into high gear around the end of season 2 and never lets up. Season 4 is flat-out phenomenal and the upcoming final season looks great.

The first episode aired already. poo poo is popped.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lmaooooo their commercials are ripped straight from blingee

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They have to spin things to make gravity. IIRC the space station/asteroid Eros has gravity because they rotate it and give it false gravity, but it's like .3 earth G, and its stronger in the center and gets weaker towards the edges.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
introducing our tv streaming service! well no, we dont stream that channel... or that one... no, not that one either... yeah you'd assume we have that one but we dont, also no to that one as well...

ok look maybe we jumped the gun a bit calling it "tv" what we really meant was you can watch reruns of Drag Race 24/7,

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anybody watched The Arrangement yet? From the description it sounds like it could be up the same alley as Unreal.

EDIT: I read another description and threes a cult or something nvm. I thought it was about a struggling actress who gets a huge role then learns some shady underbelly poo poo, but without a cult.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 4, 2017

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

STAC Goat posted:

The little advertising I've seen has given me the impression it's a kind of vague scientology parallel.

Ohh yeah duhhh, that makes perfect sense. So they're going for like a Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes kinda thing

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

IRQ posted:

I wonder if we'll start seeing Netflix style binge-style airings like this more often. It's an interesting idea.

Yeah, its cool but ALSO perfectly illustrates why streaming is so much better. If people like streaming because they just _cannot_ find an hour a week during prime-time to watch things first-run it's not going to get any better if you make it a 3 hour chunk. You still need to time shift things otherwise you've now got a 3 hour chunk of content that is really annoying to switch to half way through, it's not like you're tuning in halfway through a rerun of CON Air and you just keep watching because fuckit, you've seen it a thousand times.

This is first-run content in binge format at a time they set that you can't restart if you find it half way through. It's a weird one step forward 2 steps back thing. But at least they're trying.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Timby posted:

Edit: As a side note, Frasier is also notable for some truly disgusting pay disparity among the cast members. For the final five or six seasons, Grammer was pulling down between $1 million and $1.25 million per episode. David Hyde Pierce and John Mahoney were making something like $900,000 per episode. Jane Leeves and Peri Gilpin were making in the $40,000 / episode range until the final two seasons.

That's poetic in a way.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

precision posted:

Oh poo poo, that sucks I loved Picket Fences and Boston Public a lot. Like a LOT, those shows were way ahead of their time.

I'm gonna ask again since nobody ever answered before: was thirtysomething ever good/does it hold up?

e: talking of Netflix and intros, when I binged Halt and Catch Fire S3 Netflix never skipped the intro, which is great because seriously that intro is boss as gently caress

It's seriously one of the best works of modern graphic design and it was for a loving tv show. I adore H&CF's intro, it says EVERYTHING, it's about an idea being refined, or leaving your friends and going out on your own, however you want to interpret it, it most likely works. Then the wafers start lighting up, it's hard lines vector type art with this bit of ugliness and imperfection to it that makes it reminiscent of TRON or something once the beam of light starts shooting in a straight line with the faintest clouds moving past the camera in the foreground. It does all this under 30 seconds, not some drawn out 2 minute orchestrated dolly shot slog of a bunch of server rooms fading into PCBs

I love everything about it. it's perfect.

EDIT: ahh gad drat the music too. The little deetdeetdeetdeetdeetdeetdeetdeetdeetdeetdeetdeets right at the end.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 21, 2017

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

if you told me this was [insert any 80s hair rock guys here] i'd be like : "Yah i know obviously, i know who that guy is:ninja:" Jeebus

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In in y'see in my day we just had chinamen. you had your Asian chinamen, your jap chinamen, and the other ones.

Ok grandpa

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Timby posted:

Studios were also more willing to play ball with Netflix when it was just a content distributor. Now that it's in the business of actually producing content, it's a direct competitor. This is the whole reason Starz ran away screaming when its streaming contract was up.

Doesf Netflix offer their content to broadcsters like Starz? A sharing deal so they can put some Netflix Originals in their schedule and Netflix can stream their stuff?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Escobarbarian posted:

4K would be better if you want a TV that'll last you another 20 years, but it definitely isn't necessary

lol if you think a modern piece of electronics will last even 10

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Superrodan posted:

I watched the first episode of Patriot last night and The guy who got pushed in front of a truck appearing at the end and having trouble speaking made me really sad because he seemed like such a nice dude. I just want to know how screwed that guy is on a scale of 1-10 so I can be prepared for the worst.

Ugh I knowwwwwwwww, it seems to be pretty polarizing, some people think its so twisted its great, but I just felt bad, I didn't get much humor out of it. He is in slow recovery the entire season, they keep him around because Patriot guy is so terrible at the job, and even though he's super brain damaged he can still work like a savant.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

IRQ posted:

The off-brand refurbed flatscreen I bought in 2007 is still truckin' along, albeit relegated to the bedroom. It's heavy as a motherfucker and ridiculously thick compared to modern ones but it has no problems other than the remote is hosed and has survived 4 moves.

I think my 360 also still works aside from a noisey unbalanced fan in the psu but I haven't hooked it up lately.

Timby posted:

I have a 42" plasma TV that my groomsmen bought me as a wedding gift in July 2007, and it's still going strong -- and that was at a time when all the experts said plasmas' life expectancy was about five years.

Best part? It's HP-brand. I didn't even know they made TVs.

2007 was a good year for the pixel harvest, you two lucked out

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Billions fills my rich white people loving with eachother quota nicely. It's more finance than politics but there is a good amount of both.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Snak posted:

Is The Shield actually good? I could not get into it at all, and the fact that Kurt Sutter worked on it makes me not want to touch it with a 10 foot poll.

Dude....you've never seen The Shield? How is that even possible? It's one of the tv shows. And it's definitely a product of it's time (for example shot/intended for release in 4:3 even though there was an HD re-release) but some of the subjects they broached on that show are STILL hosed up today, it hasn't exactly become quaint.

And yeah the entire SERIES has an arc, it's not season to season starting from scratch every time. poo poo that happens in season 1 and 2 snowball for the entire rest of the series and it matters.

To me, as far as cop shows go, it's The Shield, and The Wire. One makes you go "gently caress YEAH! I could do that too! it'd be SIIIICK to be a cop! BUTTROCK BAWDIDDYBAW *tactical bro raid*" And the next one brings you right back to the harsh reality of the situation, that being a cop is a boring, scary slog, basically a war of attrition that you don't have the troops to win. They are two completely different cop shows but I feel like they compliment each other very nicely.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 5, 2017

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's pieces of poo poo arresting somehow larger pieces of poo poo. As the show goes on the divide is less and less until it basically flips around.

Oh yeah and Sutter isn't allowed to go full Sutter in this. Shawn Ryan kept him on a short leash, and honestly I think Sutter can be a good writer/ideas guy in that scenario. He goes off the rails when given full creative control and you end up with guys being drowned in bathtubs full of piss and then some science guy comes into the thread and :goonsay: "you know that much urine in a room and you wouldnt even be able to open your eyes due to the amonia"

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 5, 2017

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

-Blackadder- posted:

Like someone else said The Shield is The Wire-level good. Vic Mackey is a loving supernatural creature. Michael Chiklis' performance is easily up there with James Gandolfini and Bryan Cranston. I still think about the pathos in this show. it's just incredible.

Anyone not giving it a serious shot is doing themselves a huge disservice.

I genuinely cant watch past mid 3rd or early 4th season. Basically as soon as the grenade goes missing I have to peace out. I just can't deal with the anxiety of it all crashing down, it hits me soooooo perfectly. I actually love that a stupid tv show can put me in that state it just makes my palms start sweating since I know the major plot beats but I forget all the extra little details and oh god it's happening its all happening

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Longbaugh01 posted:

The Shield is also the show that gave us Walton Goggins, and he was great in it. Especially near the end...

Shane to Mackey, in hospital bed

"We dug holes together..."

ok wrong finale

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Carlton Cuse's voice creeps me out. I cant stand the first 2 seconds of Colony or Bates Motel it's just his dumb grainy ugly sounding voice saying "pruvusly un culunuyyyyy"

I've never had such a visceral reaction to a voice before.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

precision posted:

I think his voice works perfectly for Bates Motel actually, but I could see where it might annoy some.

The first time it really jumped out at me was when he pulled over Rhianna (he cameo'd as the highway patrol guy) and I realized it wasn't modulated, or some voice actor guy. He just sounds that gravelley.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Mick had too many great moments to count tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

IRQ posted:

I just watched it over lunch and that episode is up there with the birthday party. The Mickis so good.

When the kid leaves the room and comes back with the shot and your brain is already connecting the dots with "...wait she's got poo poo drawn on her face...." and you know exactly where it's going but that drat kid just makes it 100x funnier than it should be. They nailed that casting.

EDIT: Hahaha oh yeah "See, that's how ya do it!"

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 12, 2017

• Locked thread