Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Uh where the hell did this come from: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/01/09/heres-the-creepy-first-teaser-for-hulus-the-handmaids-tale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Hi. Sell me on the Get Down, it's the one show I hadn't heard of from the Top Ten thread that really stood out to me from the glimpses I saw there.

Do you like good music? Do you like watching a show showcasing a culture/scene you've never seen before? Would you like to see some of the best artist making art scenes ever put on TV? Do you have a tolerance for some rough sub-plots? Then you'll love the Get Down.

Never managed to make a list for the Top Ten, but I'm gonna guess the Detour and Animal Kingdom (and Erased, why not) never made it on there. Kevin Reilly has been killing it on TBS/TNT.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So thinking about dropping Netflix after this month. Anything good on there? Doesnt seem like it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Timby posted:

House of Cards season 5 should come out end of February or early March. Series of Unfortunate Events looks pretty good. Most recent seasons of Bates Motel and Better Call Saul should probably drop by the end of February.

Of course, that's a difficult question to answer without knowing what you're looking for.

Yeah its vague, but now I'm gonna hold off

DivisionPost posted:

Santa Clarita Diet on February 3.

Because of this. I LOVE Better Off Ted.

That was a close call guys and gals.

But goddamn I wish Netflix had better TV and movies NOW

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Well this is disappointing: http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/taboo-tom-hardy-review-fx/

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L-D6zj5U1g

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Oh man it was terrible. I love anything Holmes but this was just bad.

Apparently Holmes has a sister. He does not remember her at all. Mycroft has her locked away in a secret island prison. No one is allowed to talk to her beside him because she can 'reprogram' anyone with one conversation. For some reason, that I forget, on Christmas as a present Mycroft brings in Moriarty to have a unsupervised talk with her. She has him make all these recordings for after he dies to bring him back. Skip to the ending it's revealed she killed Sherlock's best friend (His brother told him she only killed their dog) when they were like 10 . She did this because she didn't have best friend or was included in their pirate games they played.

In the novels Sherlock doesn't even have a sister. They just ruin good things.

Spoiler just in case anyone intends to watch it.

lol, why is the pirate game the thing that looks the worst.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I think it translates really well. I despised the movie too and the show nails the feel of the books perfectly. Aside from one person in the show's thread, everyone who's coming at the show from the background of the books seem to like it. It looks to me like people bouncing off the first episode tend to not like the style that the show and books are going for.

I think you'll enjoy it.

Uh I'm the one guy that actually really liked the movie, but is kinda wary of committing to something that seems to spin its wheel as a thematic point, 1) why did you not like the movie, and 2) what does the show do better than it? Thx.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Coming from nowhere, here's the new Elizabeth Moss show on Hulu: The Handmaid's Tale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dre0wQmLGe8

Posted it a few pages ago. Excited/dreading it, it's a real, real heavy book.

EDIT:

Open Source Idiom posted:

She's also coming back for another season of Top of the Lake this year.

Really, really, really did not like it ended.

I mean serious, how much sexual abuse can happen in one peaceful hamlet.

Yes, entire communities can be riven by it, but at the end it felt exploitative.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 17, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Side note I'm not sure what you mean by "spin its wheel" because that's not how I'd describe what happens. There's definitely a forward moving plot.

The adults getting killed by an increasingly obvious Olaf, and no one listening to the kids entirely reasonable accusations regarding it.

Just found it vexing. I mean, there's motive AND means goddamn it, Law and Order would be all over this poo poo.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

What have we got on tv these days that's in the spirit of Justified?

Animal Kingdom, Shut Eye?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Sell me on Shut Eye.

Jeffrey Donovan stars in it, the guy who managed to carry Burn Notice for umpteenth seasons, and played the excellent bad guy in the second season of Fargo. He faces off against another alum from Fargo, Bear, who here plays the patriach of a ruthless Romanian crime family that runs psychic shops in L.A.

It's basically riffs off Fistful of Dollars, as a small-time conman/magician tries to keep his head above water, while plotting against various crime type figures, all the while balancing his home life (enabled by his wife, who's just loving feroicous) and trying to get rich.

It's got good dialogue, a look into a world I'm sure as hell not familiar with (there's a lot of stuff about the Roma that turns the culture away from being the one note stereotype we're all used to, while emphasizing how different the lifestyle could be), and a season long plotline that largely wraps satisfactorily.

It's good daylight noir/light Elmore Leonard.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Hell, it's true.

They burned like five seasons of plot in 11 or so episodes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Good Place spoiler : Yeah it was killer, the laugh too.

Someone predicted the twist in the first page of the thread, real glad I didn't follow it until now .Some shows are just better off not reading the thread about it.

EDIT: Just saw the warning to not discuss it. Put the post in a spoiler and will stop.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 21, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

X-O posted:

The thing is, cable is actually still much cheaper for anyone that actually already has a bundle with cable internet and would want to sub to even just the HBO, Showtime, Starz and sports packages and then you still get all the other channels too. Because I use my own cablecard equipment for internet and cable I end paying around $150 or so a month for cable and internet service and that gives me HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, and TMC. Then I also have access to all my College Basketball and NBA games that I want that I'd have to track down and pay for through other means. I have access to all the ESPN3 services. It would be beyond stupid for me drop cable. My internet alone would be over half that if I dropped the bundle and then I'd need to sub to all those services and and it would actually be more than I'm paying for internet and cable with all the premiums now. And that's not even taking into consideration being able to record shows and having access to other channels like USA, Syfy, History etc.

Yeah, same, except it's basic cable/high speed internet/HBO for 180 split b/w 2 people, so I'm paying 90 a month for a billion channels that I use OnDemand to primarily catch up on. Still a good deal, but maybe that'll change in the future.

Rhyno posted:

Zoo was so terrible that I found myself really enjoying it.

And I just wrapped up Goliath and whoa, this was phenomenal television.

Really? Goliath has had some bad reviews.

You get around to watching Shut Eye yet?

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 23, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Medullah posted:

Yeah both are Hulu. I think Chance is superior, and a better contained one season story. I don't know if it's meant to be a multiple season story.

Shut Eye is good but definitely feels more of a setup for further seasons.

I agree, the ending wasn't the most fulfilling because of its (spoiler) out of nowhere ending

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Said director, John Carney, also did BEGIN AGAIN, with Mark Ruffalo and Keira Knightley. It might be a little on the twee side for some people ("LET'S RECORD THE ENTIRE ALBUM OUTDOORS! THE CITY IS OUR BACKDROP!"), but it's still goddamn great in its own way. Ruffalo is loving awesome in it. The movie should be on Netflix.

Once is the movie from his oevre (sp?) that you need to see. It's so good.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

quote:

The agency’s new chairman, Ajit Pai, has removed from its agenda consideration of a proposal that would have made it possible for independent manufacturers to sell boxes that could replace the ones providers supply. The FCC says that 99% of subscribers pay an average of $231 a year to lease the boxes, even well after they’ve covered the cost of the devices.
Bye-Bye Cable Box

Associated Press

Former FCC chairman Tom Wheeler led the charge for a rule that would have required pay TV distributors to offer subscribers free, FCC-approved apps that they could download to the device of their choice to watch programming.

Congress ordered the FCC in several laws to find a way to give subscribers an alternative to the operator-provided boxes that unencrypt transmissions. For example, a 2014 law governing satellite services told regulators to come up with “a not unduly burdensome, uniform, and technology- and platform neutral software-based downloadable security system” to provide competition.

But opponents, including Pai, said that Wheeler’s proposal would interfere with arrangements that networks make with distributors about advertising, security, and channel placement, among other things.

The MPAA sided with cable and satellite companies, and cheered Pai’s decision.

Trump!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I liked it a lot, and would like to see Milana Vayntrub in more not-AT&T-commercial things.

She's mentioned in this article, and this part is instructive

quote:

When Vayntrub got the news, she was on a callback for a network comedy. She had been asked to return to audition for the producers. “They said, ‘For this callback, they really want you, they love what you did. They just want you to be sexier, dress a little sexier.’ I didn’t listen to that and wore exactly what I wore to the first audition. So I go, and it’s twelve men,” Vayntrub said. She joked, “And I was, like, no wonder you shits wanted me to wear a short skirt while I stand here in front of you.”

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/04/06/the-nerd-hunter

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

David Boreanz from Buffy to Angel.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYSCjwc6pEo

I hope this is as much fun as the Mcelroy's other podcasts and youtube stuff.

Wasn't a single joke in that trailer, just these guys being pleased with themselves. I liked the Weird Al appearance tho.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

You ever read a TV review and then just start laughing uncontrollably halfway through it, because you've been waiting for the show in question and it sounds like it exceeded every unreasonably high expectation you had?

Just me, huh? Makes sense. Here's the start of Alan Sepinwall's take on Legion:

EDIT: HOLY making GBS threads GOD, READ THAT REVIEW. It sounds like Hawley went all loving in on this one.

I can already see that they're taking cues from the recent comic series (cut down way too short in its run) Legion by way of a villain's name and possible scene as described by Sepinwall.

Get it its pretty excellent and pairs well with what this show seems to be.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Holy gently caress OJ Made In America is fantastic. It's a billion hours, but I got sucked in and went through five hours like it was nothing. If I had made a list of the best of 2016 I would have included that on it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

less laughter posted:

It's just under 8 hours.

Uh we're just going to have agree to disagree here

EDIT

DivisionPost posted:

I remember hearing that too; I imagine it had something to do with him being a proud stoner in his 40s when she and Ben were trying to start a family. And on a certain level, that sucks. But to bring it back to Olyphant, you know what they say about assholes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laFGAp6Ip40

I think I've posted this before, but this shows alot of Olyphant's personality, kinda quiet, and really, really funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFEHp9aNeqk

EDIT 2: Compare and contrast how incredibly off-putting SMith is in this episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xif09V0BG_s

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 6, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah his number one nemesis was always himself, and his arcs tend to resolve themselves via the equivalent of extreme psychotherapy. I'm so psyched that there is someone so good at TV that managed to find this incredibly obscure character, it's perfect.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

APB

Pros:
Kevin Chapman as the District Captain.
Ernie Hudson as the Senior Sergeant.
Justin Kirk does smarmy arrogant rear end in a top hat really well.
It's a Matt Nix show and I liked the first few seasons of Burn Notice and all of The Good Guys
Len Wiseman was responsible for the amazing first season of Sleepy Hollow.
Nestor Sorrano's Mayor is the ideal corrupt rear end in a top hat this kind of series needs.

Cons:
Unfettered Surveillance is the best!
Chicago underfunding the CPD? Not going to happen. This should have been set in Detroit.
Magical computer tech.
Has a 'White Man's Burden' vibe along with adding 'Rich Techie' to the beginning of the phrase.

Two things would make this better. Make it subversive as gently caress by outwardly touting how great this surveillance and millions poured into tech are, while simultaneously showing how hosed up Chicago is getting because of it. Second, have Captain Hauser call his cousin Lionel in New York to brag about all the technology his district now has.

Speaking of APB, didn't someone say the same thing earlier?

quote:

The way Kirk sees it, however, he wanted to play Reeves because of the guy’s similarities to a very different wealthy crime fighter.

“When someone comes to you with a project that seems different from what you’ve done before, and it seems rich with good stuff to say and do, you kind of have to say yes,” the veteran actor tells The Hollywood Reporter. “I though it’d be interesting to do APB so I could explore whether or not Gideon’s view on the criminal justice system might be a good idea. Plus, I get to be Batman.”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/justin-kirk-apb-cop-drama-971132

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cart posted:

Annual reminder that The Americans is the actual best show on TV that people would enjoy watching if they gave it a chance (sorry Rectify).

I hate to be that guy again, but since there's so many ppl here raving about it....

I think the Americans is a punishing show that is humorless and ridiculously harrowing. It's not a show that I enjoyed that much and by the second season I was glad to leave it behind and watch something else.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lelandjs posted:

That's why I said that the finale works for roughly half of Lost viewers earlier. The half that cared about the characters got an ending they wanted, while the people who wanted grand, sweeping explanations out of the show were left wanting.

I would argue that, taken as a whole, Lost posits that the grander events in our lives don't matter--what really matters is who you are and treat those around you--and that's why they chose the ending they went with. That said this post has gone on too long already and also I'm sure X-O is looking for an excuse to ban Lost finale chat from the thread again so I should probably shut up.

With the fear of resurrecting decade old arguments, I don't think this is entirely fair.

Lost lost people because it so leaned into the mystery and conspiracy angle, which really when you think of can never really have that much of a satisfying ending, and people bought into the premise that there would be a satisfactory ending, as implied by the show and explicitly stated by the creators during its run.

That's the cause of the bad taste re the show and its lowered ranking on shows people talk about a decade or so after its finale, IMO.

Don't have a personal dog in this hunt, I'd already peaced out with the hatch reveal.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

IRQ posted:

Agreeing with all of this post right here.

Yeah, he did a better job of explaining than I did. You should just point to that post and what Patton Oswalt said about his negative take on the show (to paraphrase, "I've been in enough writer's room to know when people wanted to just get the hell out of there")

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So the second season of FNL then

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Vera Farmiga has been crushing every role she's taken since Touching Evil.

God drat that was a good show.

Holy poo poo Bruno Heller AND Ronald Moore both scripted it?

Is it Wise Guys good?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Well the revival wasn't really amazing or anything. The only good thing was the interview where Duchovney couldn't stop staring at her and was clearly still nuts about her.

Got a link?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So they've got the last five eps of AoS on Hulu, that enough eps to catch up with this LMD thing. Gonna try and give the show another chance.

edit:

Rhyno posted:

I searched but can't find it. It was linked in the Xfiles thread but I I never commented or quoted the post.

no worries.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

No, I do not thing that watching the last 5 episodes of a story heavy arc of a show you already don't like and aren't invested in the characters is going to suddenly make you like it.

It might depend a bit on when you stopped watching but the show's been great since season 2 so if you haven't liked it in some time since then what's the point of starting now?

IDK people are saying the LMD arch is good and poo poo a few pages back, but I've already watched some of it and you might be right.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Wow, this year better loving deliver on the drama front if it's even going to stand a chance in up-ending Patriot. Christ what a well put together show. For anyone on the edge about watching it's very similar to Young Pope in tone.

I think Legion is the best thing running right now.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I really like Legion, I just don't feel there's enough substance there to make that call yet.

Everything that's there is top notch. I'm enjoying the journey thus far, I just have no indication where the destination is or if it will worthwhile.

Legion really feels like a show that should be released all at once. Week by week is really working against its pace. I feel like there should be this steadily climbing feeling of dread and panic, but a week between episodes is really stunting the momentum.

IDK I'm still thinking about the images and scenes from the first 3 eps (still haven't seen the latest one).

It's dream like, hypnotic, nonsensical, and really fascinating. This is stuff to ruminate and think about, not something that needs 13 eps in a row to get through a fast plot or whatever.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

IRQ posted:

I use Netflix exactly how they want me to: "gently caress it it's 10 bucks whatever."

I do get pretty consistent use out of it though. Right now I'm watching old episodes of McGyver.

I do that with Hulu too. I actually use Hulu almost exclusively now, only keeping around Netflix this month b/c of Iron Fist coming out soon. I'm finding that I barely use Netflix at all.

Edit; so add 12 from there, 8 from Netflix, and 85 for cable/internet that includes HBO, Starz, Cinemax, etc. It used to be even more expensive before I switched from my old TWC account to Spectrum.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Medullah posted:

Mindhunter is the book about the FBI profiler that inspired the character in Silence of the Lambs who's name I can't remember. Wonder if this is based on him too.

I'm pretty sure it's been pretty debunked by now? Like most serial killers are caught by routine police officers or advances in DNA technology, like the Green Valley Killer. Profiling seems to just be hype.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I watched Justice League Unlimited recently, it holds up perfectly.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I hope Discover is good, but I know it won't be :smith:

Anymore details on why Bryan Fuller left the project?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder why the FXnow app requires service provider information when the CW app doesn't. It just seems like a unnecessary hoop to follow in order to stream their videos.

I am full of ANGER and FIRE guys because apparently I can't download the app from the Playstation store, the latest ep of Legion isn't on Demand, and a teaser for next week might have ruined the last episode's twist (I'm assuming there is a twist, dammit, please don't confirm).

NOT GOOD, Bill.

• Locked thread