Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

HADOKEN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I wasn't really digging it right out of the gate but it grew on me after a couple of episodes. Its not so much a case of the show getting better but that it expands beyond the video game satire and bounces around a lot of other ideas and becomes less gimmicky and more of a show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm not knocking the show but I legitimately would worry about anyone who told me Van Helsing was "fun."

Wynonna Earp on the other hand is kind of fun, but it starts off really, really rocky. And that pilot is BAD.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

American Gods was the perfect spot of something I didn't really remember until it was brought up, would be kind of sad if it got cancelled, but would also probably forget about it an hour later.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So does Riverdale have magic and poo poo? I can't figure that show out at all from the trailers and commercials. Most of the time it just looks like the OC or something but it seems to actively market itself as something way weirder. Although maybe that's because almost everything else on CW has superheroes, ghosts, and zombies so they just try and make it look like it fits.

And how in the world did the witch spinoff not get picked up by CW?

I have no doubt I'm going to watch that ridiculous Smith/Landis orc Training Day movie before I watch a dozen objectively better things, it will be incredibly stupid, and I won't regret it for a moment. It just has that look.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

lelandjs posted:

Patton Oswalt’s wife of 10 years unexpectedly died in her sleep. Just over a year later, he remarried. Idiots online don’t understand that grief and coping following the death of loved one works differently for different people and think that the only explanation for him “moving on so quickly” is that he must have killed his previous wife so he could marry his current one.

Oh wow. That's creepy even for the internet. I don't know if me being surprised by it is a good thing that I'm not too far gone into the void or just another step into the hole.

I look forward to watching him be a magical unicorn imaginary friend for a drunk psychopath.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I was iffy on Black Sails early on but it rounds into a really good show with some really fun scenery and action stuff. I never did see the final season and its on my mediumish list of shows to binge/rewatch/finish.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As much as Season 1 is slow the whole New Providence setting really worked for me and I got a kick out of deciphering the mix of history, Treasure Island, and original stuff as well as trying to figure out the mystery of Flint and what the hell kind of man he was.

Man, now I really want to drop my other binges and go rewatch/finish Black Sails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGwEmQeaXxI

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So Dan Harmon just does prewritten screaming rants on stage and people pay money and spend the night to listen to him? I almost can't blame him for being an arrogant rear end in a top hat if he's apparently getting such positive reinforcement for it.

GobiasIndustries posted:

The last season was real good and especially the last episode. If you like the characters the last episode was a wonderful sendoff.

That's kind of the rub. It's fine to watch a few seasons of a sitcom and decide you've seen all the jokes. You're probably 90% right. If you keep watching a show like P&R or The Office it's because you care about the characters and want to see how their stories resolve.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 18, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Royal Pains is one of those era USA shows that is a perfectly entertaining procedural about a _____ wizard surrounded by a charming cast that eventually you just get bored with and forget it exists. White Collar, Psych, Burn Notice, Suits. I enjoyed every one of them and never finished one of them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

USA's had a nice little growth from the really bad days to the pretty paint-by-numbers procedurals they kind of established their schedule with to now doing more adventurous stuff. I've only actually seen the first seasons of Colony and Mr. Robot and have Damnation on my DVR waiting for me but they seem like they're really swinging harder for the fences now and trying to find their "prestige" tv.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Suits seemed to kind of bridge the gap between the procedural era and the "prestige" era so I can definitely buy that its more of the latter these days than the former. I enjoyed it but I lost track of it after a few seasons and have never really been interested enough to stick with a rewatch/catchup. I always kind of peter out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Suits name made sense early on when the drama of the show was that Mike was a stoner who was playing at lawyer by putting on his friend's suits played against the big stylish part of the show featuring Harvey's high lifestyle. But that naturally faded away because the characters actually grew.

I don't know if they continued to grow though, because like I said I lost track with it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think I eventually tapped out when they were in the perpetual circle of all the "Mike's going to get exposed!" and "I can't believe you did this with him!" Like at one point Mike stopped being a fake lawyer to make that all go away but then it just came back up again anyway. I don't even know what the state of things was when I last watched. I just know Mike was on the brink of being exposed, Harvey was morally icky about it all while also being very arrogant, Rachel and Donna were probably really upset about everything, and Louis was probably torn on what to do.

Because that was always the state of things.

I also never finished Burn Notice and can't remember at what layer of conspiracy Mike had uncovered about who REALLY burned him I left it at. Or which time Neal stole something on White Collar to keep him indebted to the FBI. Or on Royal Pains which... actually I don't remember the plot of Royal Pains. I think he just liked doing house visits to rich people.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The couple of people I asked about it basically said that it was really well done but was basically just a really well done soap opera and wasn't really for me. They felt like I'd hate it if it wasn't so good but it might be good enough for me to enjoy. Which was a measured enough recommendation that its kind of on my long list but I'm not rushing to it over shows I think I'll enjoy more.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I saw Freaked once when I was young and home sick with a fever and to this day I'm not 100% sure I didn't imagine it even though I know there's like records of it existing on the internet.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was never much of a Friends fan although I feel like I watched a lot of it and enjoyed it fine. I don't think I ever was engaged with Ross and Rachel though and it was more about the Chandler/Joey and Monica/Rachel stuff. I think.

I don't know, I can never really figure out why or when I watched as much Friends as I did. I'm guessing syndication.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Guy Mann posted:

I've never understood why so many people who love shows like Seinfeld and Always Sunny struggle with accepting that the people on Friends are supposed to be terrible people.

While the Friends were self absorbed over the top characters who made bad decisions, I don't think they were ever intentionally bad people in the way shows like Sunny and Seinfeld did it. Sitcom characters in general just tend to be people you wouldn't really want to be around in real life because they're prone to bad decisions and selfish behavior to create weekly hijinks. Normal people are boring.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I loved Roseanne but there's nothing about the final season and everything that's happened around Roseanne in the years since that makes me want to watch a revival of the show. At most I'm mildly curious about what role Chalke has and how they explain the husbands' absences but that's all something I can probably find in a few minutes online once the first episode airs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I never saw the last season. Did the animals ever develop the ability to speak, because that was totally what I was watching for. Although spontaneously growing wings or armor or stuff like that was fun too.

• Locked thread