Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IRQ posted:

Mr Robot was too bleak and oppressive for me, I couldn't keep going.

e: says the guy with the bojack horseman av, i know.

Well I only said I enjoyed S1 because I still haven't watched S2. I intend to watch it eventually but for the most part S1 kept me hooked because of the really well done mystery and reveals and without them I worry that S2 will just be too bleak, as you said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lost just became a mess long before the finale. It had raised so many questions with no clear or satisfying answers that that consumed it, and then it became about giving over explanations to those answers that could never be as interesting as the stuff fans had spent years dreaming up (and even if it was, the fans would just say they called it years ago). It just became this muddled mess of using magic to justify whatever thing they wanted to do and the narrative completely fell apart.

But that's not on the finale. Lost was a mess way before then. So if you were super into the final season then you were probably good with it and liked how the finale tied it up and if you hated the final season then the finale was just the inevitable lovely ending for that. It was two different shows for two different audiences, and the problem was just that a bunch of people who were into the first couple of season (myself included) never really accepted that their show had become someone else's show. We can criticize the direction the show took but in complaining about the finale we're really just mad at ourselves for sticking around and hoping it would turn around.

Now BSG? That's just a lovely finale twist.

:)

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 8, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If Lost had aired during the modern TV climate I probably wouldn't have been bothered by it. I would have lost interest around Season 5-6 and just binged it on Netflix when it was over. Lost fell into that perfect moment in TV viewing where there were DVRs and On Demand and Hulu so it was easier to keep up with a weekly series than it ever was but before "binging" really became so common so its much easier to just consume a show all at once if it isn't gripping you each week.

Plus Lost was really the first of the modern wave of Westworld type shows that push mystery and twists hard as the big sell. So they made a lot of the mistakes a lot of shows do but worse because they didn't have many other shows to learn from.

I'm a lot more sympathetic to Lost now that I've had time to step back and lost my emotional attachment to the characters and disappointment with the story. I still think it was a mess but I recognize its unique kind of placement in the changing of Television storytelling and consumption.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still think the pilot is one of the best I've seen and the first season is some of the best character stuff I've seen. That's what made it so hard to abandon the show once it became a narrative mess since you were so emotionally invested in Jack, Kate, Sayid, Sawyer, etc.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Even in the later seasons there's a lot of memorably emotional scenes. "Not Penny's Boat" and Sawyer/Juliet and Jin/Sun. It was a really talented cast that played very rich characters with a ton of backstory and motivation.

It just made no drat sense and spent way too much time pretending that it would all come together if we were just patient.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lost speculation certainly did hurt the show for those viewers but its not fair to blame them. The show and its creators didn't just encourage it, they openly and aggressively pushed that poo poo. They'd put the magic numbers in other media and hide secret messages in stuff and every episode ended with a cliffhanger while every season ended with a podcast where they hyped up the exciting mysteries. "Mysteries" weren't just a part of the narrative or a little wrinkle. It certainly wasn't like when people come up with insane theories about a pretty straightforward narrative like Breaking Bad. Lost's entire narrative construct was built on a pyramid of mysteries and secrets.

Now, its totally cool if you were able to separate the character stuff from the narrative and just appreciate that fully for the good it was. Clearly roughly half the audience was able to do that. But its not the other half of the audience's fault that they cared about the show's story. At most its their fault for not making peace with things once it became completely clear that the story was a patched together mess and would never pay off satisfactorily (and again, I fully admit I was one of these people). Because that happened way before the finale.

We shouldn't give them a pass for "not knowing better." I'm willing to give them a few breaks for timing and not having a lot of contemporaries to learn from. But they actively created the mess that they ultimately get hated for not being able to clean up effectively. And they spent years gleefuly stoking the flames.

:lost:

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 9, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its totally fair to hate the legacy of Lost fandom and all the toxic fandoms that have come out of it. I'm right there with you. I Xed the Good Place thread because I felt it getting the Lost treatment.

And again, I'll give Lost a little bit of a pass for bad timing because it was also really in that perfect internet timing where the theories and images and conspiracy stuff were so easy to find and spread. But Lost embraced and enabled it and made it a key part of the show's marketing and narrative structure. So there's a lot of people who probably would have been fine before Lost dragged that niche obsession into the mainstream. And its never really gone away since.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Are they even going to bother bringing Veep back? What could they even do? Selena just tweeting at an evil Nazi president? Been there.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The marketing I saw seemed to be purposefully satirical self help type ads that if you actually read or looked closely at revealed there was something up and hinted at zombies without being overt. I thought it was kind of clever.

For the most part I assume Netflix doesn't see a major need to overly explain its shows since if you're a subscriber you're eventually going to notice the show in the banners or menus.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rhyno posted:

We got Hulu. There's too much goddamned television to watch.

This. My two weeks free with Hulu are almost done and I didn't watch half the poo poo on it I planned to when I signed up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm nearing the end of Black Sails S3 and it's awesome. I had a hard time early on but was advised to stick with the world building and it paid off big. Some great characters and amazing moments that wouldn't have been half as good without that slow buildup. My only problem with the show is I can't decide whether to watch S4 week to week or wait and binge it all at once.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, in S4 they kind of embrace hating Piper and it gets really weird/intense/kinda funny and she kind of gets sympathetic again.

A little.

But by bailing on the end of S3 I think you miss some key things to hate Piper on like her framing Ruby Rose and getting her sent to max.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rhyno posted:

Well I hate myself so I have begun the Smallville binge watch. The opening CG moon, earth and corn is bad even for the era.

Why in God's name are you doing this?

Like, if you were binging Dexter or something I'd understand. There's some good seasons and its "only" 96 episodes in total.

But you're choosing to watch 218 episodes of a show that had like maybe a dozen or 2 dozen "good" episodes and most of that was just from comic fans who were starved for comic stuff in a different time before we got a poo poo ton of it?

Why would you do this to yourself?

This is why people can be locked up for their own safety.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rhyno posted:

I enjoyed the poo poo out of every episode and it's got young Bradley Cooper as a series regular! It was cut short too soon as it definitely had legs but the ratings were poo poo.

I have watched every one of those from beginning to end except for Supernatural. I was doing Smallville because there are large chunks of it I missed as it aired but oh god it's so bad.

Well if its the one you didn't watch you should for sure check out Supernatural, Season 1 to 5. Its been said many times but those first five seasons are a well constructed arc of ever escalating crazy. Everything beyond that is up and down but the original story is way more worth a watch than anything else I've seen you name.

Because like, there's no reason to be like "what did I miss in Smallville?" The high points of that show where the Green Arrow, the Justice League, and the Justice Society and all those things are so incredibly redundant now that its all been redone better, mostly by CW*.

*Which, I don't care if you hate Arrow, Flash, Legends, and Supergirl. They're all better than Smallville.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well it was the "pod" finale in that the season is broken up into 3 distinct parts and that was the end of the second.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

wormil posted:

What do you guys think of Legion? I watched about 45 minutes of ep1 and don't think it's for me but maybe if it changes after that ??

I struggled a bit with the pilot but by the end got really into it and got sucked in hard by the second and third episodes. So I'd say finish the pilot at least and if some of the late episode reveals don't get your interest, you can bail. But the second episode starts getting into David's mental state and past in a really compelling way that isn't there in the first episode.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Because my elderly mother watches like every and any procedural cop/spy show on network television, no questions asked?

Except Quantico. She thought that was too stupid and bailed. Which almost made me curious to watch Quantico.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think so. Like, I don't know everything she watches, just what I see on her DVR or she mentions. But I'm pretty sure that one's in there.

Mostly it seems like she watches all these easily digestible procedurals that entertain her for an hour and then its all kind of discarded. I assume that's the market.

And she's not one of those FCC calling folks, so watching the Devil wouldn't bother her.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My mom is not racist and she doesn't think that. Thanks for the baseless sweeping generalized attack. You're always such a class act.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Escobarbarian posted:

Hahaha why would you take that post so seriously?

No real excuse. It was late and I reflexively responded to the troll. It's embarrassing but poo poo happens.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 25, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, you seem to have entirely forgotten the existence of the primary character on the show in the middle of that highly questionable description of it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DoggPickle posted:

I pay attention. I was just joking and exaggerating my displeasure. I have a bunch of microwave popcorn stuck in my teeth and I'm just generally in a crabby mood, but I did point out a couple of shows that are doing alright.

I'm kind of curious who is the main character that I "forgot" though? What, Daisy/Quake? She was totally uninteresting for the first year and now she's like a jump-on-jump-off train that they just fit into the pre-decided plot.

Seriously, there's a kernel stuck in my molar and I can't get that son of a bitch out of there and it's really annoying :)

Yes, Daisy is literally the main character of the show and half of the show arcs have come directly out of her own character development. But honestly, our views of the show are so wildly different I wouldn't know how to engage your take.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I mean I don't think the show is perfect or anything but DoggPickle's complaints are so broad and plentiful and sweeping that even trying to pin them down seems pointless when it really just seems like he/she hates the show and should stop watching.

There are perfectly acceptable shows that many enjoy that I simply don't. That seems like the easiest answer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hulu's got a solid selection but if you have Prime/Netflix and cable then there's not too much draw unless you're looking for specific hard to find shows. And it seems to focus on grabbing exclusive deals with shows that are popular with a certain demo like BSG, Community, the FX comedies, and South Park.

I have it with ads but besides the "STOP PLAYING THE SAME AD AT EVERY BREAK!" thing I really don't mind. And for whatever reason half the time they don't seem to play despite no ad blocker or anything.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm on my 3rd month of Hulu but I only signed up because they offered me a $20 gift card at the start of the year for 2 months and I was able to get the 2nd month free. And I was able to get a third month free when it was due up yesterday so I figured I'd stick with it. All in all I believe I've made $13.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mu Zeta posted:

The Parks and Rec inside joke almost looks real. Same poses and everything.

I was re-watching Forgetting Sarah Marshall last night and the end of the movie gag about Sarah getting recast in a NBC procedural about an animal psychic detective remains somehow seems less like hilarious parody now so much as a real show that could debut in September.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rhyno posted:

Gummi Bears was, is and always will be horrible though.

I'll always have a special place in my heart for Gummi Bears because to this day I can still manage a pretty solid memory of watching it while I was packing to go to Disney World for the first time and then arriving in the drat treehouse villa and running off to the theme park and running into big Gummi Bear people and feeling like i had just entered some magical world through my TV.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I stopped watching Big Bang Theory years ago because the whole thing got tired like a lot of sitcoms like that but I don't get why everyone gets so worked up about it. Who cares? There's a zillion tv shows to watch. Who cares if Chuck Lorre has like 2 or 3 hours a week on one network for his? Does it affect anyone besides who wins pretty meaningless awards?

Hollismason posted:

So Hap and Leonard. Thoughts? I love James Purefoy so I am giving the series a go but worried it won't have additional seasons or end on a cliffhanger.

I loved it. It had a kind of Justified feel to it. There was no cliffhanger. I'll admit I don't remember the details and ending greatly but my memory is that its a quick little 6 episode story that ties up as neatly as any novel. The characters and settings and elements still exist for a second book, but the story of the book you just read is finished.

And looks like the second season is debuting March 15th anyway. Which is great news because I had no idea. I gotta find a place to stream the first season for a re-watch.

edit: Netflix. Cool. I definitely recommend it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 4, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I knew people who loved Sheldon and related to him back in the day. That was years ago and I have no idea if they still do but I assume the spin-off is directed towards the same room.

Also, it's a hugely successful show that's become super expensive because of a huge cast so of course there's a spin-off.

I just noticed the other night that some channel has an entire night that looks like "Chicago PD", "Chicago FD", and "Chicago Law" and I just laughed. Some day there will just be a network that does a different city each night and I won't even notice enough to laugh because I'll have 100 shows and movies DVRed and queued on streaming services.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bring back old gbs posted:

Anybody watched The Arrangement yet? From the description it sounds like it could be up the same alley as Unreal.

EDIT: I read another description and threes a cult or something nvm. I thought it was about a struggling actress who gets a huge role then learns some shady underbelly poo poo, but without a cult.

The little advertising I've seen has given me the impression it's a kind of vague scientology parallel.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Snak posted:

Like, you can avoid this spoiler if you want, but the premise of season 5 is that Sarah's memory is wiped, and Chuck has to make her fall in love with him all over again. She never gets her memory back. They erase her entire character and all of her development since the beginning of the show and it's just "Chuck has to win over a hot chick". It's disgusting.

Ugh. I never saw the last season and always meant to go back through and finish it, but that really does sound so terrible and a betrayal of everything you watched up to that point.

IRQ posted:

What so is Homeland good again?

The contention seems to be that once they moved past Brody and his family it got good again.

I haven't bothered to check since it sounds like "good" is just 24 type stuff that I don't really enjoy and there's probably only so much I can marvel at Claire Danes acting out a breakdown.

Plus I'm busy rending my heart apart by binging Shameless and Emmy Rossum so I don't have room for Danes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh. I've mostly enjoyed all the Marvel Netflix series. DD S2 was badly paced and tried to do too much and Luke Cage had a way better first half than second half. And I guess Jessica Jones could just be too emotionally grueling for some. But I've gotten more good than bad out of all of them so I'll reserve judgment until I actually see Iron Fist.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'd have to rewatch it to give a fair analysis, but yeah, the main problem with DD S2 is it tries to fit too much into one short season. Punisher, Elektra, Kingpin. Then in the end you have The Hand which have gotten no real time and come off like generic foot soldiers from a cartoon that just mean nothing. If it had been a full season about Elektra and the Hand it probably would have been better. If it had been a full season about Punisher and Kingpin it probably would have been better. If it had been a season about Punisher and Elektra with no Hand or Kingpin it could have been better. But it tried to squeeze them all in and make them all fit and it was a bit of a rushed mess with really shallow parts due to time and focus.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't agree with that at all. I very much had a hard time with the first couple of episodes but ultimately ended up enjoying the show and getting into it. I think there's a series adjustment period to the first part as the characters and settings are introduced and the weird tone of the show. Once it gets going there's more entertaining character sand settings and it moves better.

My advice would be that you should see A Series of Unfortunate Events as 5 2-part episodes. Watch them that way. Ep 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, and 9/10. Each two parter covers one book and has its own little complete story. I only found that out mid watch and I wish I had known that going in and tweaked my viewing to fit it.

In the end I kind of struggled with the first "book" (Episodes 1 and 2) but got into it during the second "book" (Episodes 3 and 4) and never really looked back.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I started reading that book awhile back and got distracted before finishing. I was loving it though so I really gotta go and finish it before the show starts. Probably start from the beginning again since its been quite awhile.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For some reason I can't entirely explain I've been watching Last Man on Earth on Hulu. And I hate it but I just kept watching because it was something to have on in the background. But then it started to slowly improve as more characters showed up and took more of the story and Will Forte starts to take it down a few notches. And I actually kind of started to enjoy it.

So then almost immediately Jason Sudaekis shows up and Forte is right back to intolerable again.

Is it possible to like a show except for hating the star and creative force behind it?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

blunt posted:

It only shows you the ratings provided by people with similar viewing histories to you and similar demographic data. Incidentally Netflix announced last week that they're moving to a simple thumbs up/down system (they're already using it in a lot of the new countries they've rolled out to and are seeing a bunch more engagement).

See, I actually liked the Netflix star system and though the "its not actual a rating system, its what they think you like" criticism was dumb. Because really its "Its not a rating based on everyone who watched it, its a rating based off of people who liked the things you liked and disliked the things you liked." Which is probably a way more accurate way to figure out what I'll like.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

blunt posted:

The new system is still based on people with similar watch habits to you, I think the thinking is just there isn't really much difference between 1/2 and 4/5 stars, so more engagement/ratings = better?
Yeah, probably. Its really not a big deal either way. I had some arbitrary way I thought the stars worked but it doesn't match with other arbitrary systems people have. The up and down is simpler and will probably amount to the same thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm binging Shameless on Netflix right now and its actually kind of annoying that it skips past the intro and moves right to the next episode because Shameless has both cute little pre-title segments and the occasional mid credits scene. I'd actually kind of like an option to make it go wire to wire before it moves on.

Ideally there'd just be "skip ahead" kind of button that jumps you right past the titles/credits if you're not interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

On a near weekly basis in the summer I wake up to a deer on my lawn eating my garden.

Those fuckers are not only everywhere but they don't give a gently caress.

• Locked thread