Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Snak posted:

Okay. I was literally going to quit right now. I will watch the next episode.

Edit: oh hey, the tidbit where she said she was in Iraq and Afghanistan like 5 episodes ago.

Person of Interest is dire and only gained a following because people were desperate for science fiction TV. Quit now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CXG has been terrible this season. A third season with even less budget sounds torturous.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

The British version is way better anyway.

Yep, but even in the British version everything past season one is pure poo poo so I can't say I blame Amazon for turning down whatever they were selling.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Riverdale's ratings are terrible and it's not cheap. It'll get cancelled.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Snak posted:

There is most definitely artificial gravity. But yeah, it's much more like BSG than star trek.

They use magnetic boots a lot, but there is also artificial gravity which seems to be a feature the main reactor of many ships.

That's called thrust and it's a real thing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

less laughter posted:

And with all the resurrecting going on it also rendered character deaths completely meaningless and devoid of any emotional impact. There are other shows with that problem but TVD is definitely the most egregious example.

To be fair TVD managed to correct this by destroying it's version of heaven so that when you're dead, your are fully dead.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

This Hannah girl has the worst loving luck. It's a great show, but it's almost comical how much poo poo they pile on her. I'm on episode five and by series end I'm expecting one or all of: a sexual assault, a gang rape, an abortion, parental abuse, drug use, drug dealing, murder, covering up a murder, having a family pet die, Avatrek and cancer to befall her as well.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 10, 2017

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

I think it was supposed to be Aatrek, primarily because googling "avatrek" brings up some very NSFW results.

It was supposed to be Aatrek. Not going to google what I actually put, but sounds like it might of been accidently appropriate any way.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

loving new Get Down, but are the animated sections a budget thing or an actual stylistic choice, do people think? I'm not super into them.

100% budget.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

What's Season Two of Colony like? I liked the first well enough but if two is more of the same slow pacing with very little world building I'll probably skip it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I'm pretty sure The Leftovers will give a definitive answer to where everyone went before this season ends.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

[quote="ShakeZula" post="472007140"]
I found it pretty cathartic, but then I also thought it was extremely well-done

Really?!

You couldn't help but picture Aria stupidly fumbling around a kitchen checking a cooking book as she bales a pie for the first time, hoping no one comes in and questions what she's doing there with two Frey corpses and a crimping fork? It was dumb as gently caress and pushed Aria from broken, revenge motivated young girl into Dexter Morgan magic serial killer territory.

She loving chopped up and baked two people. It's dumb as gently caress.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Popelmon posted:

Are there any think pieces that list 13 reasons why we need a second season? Because I can't think of a single one :smith: .

I like the characters and the questions it's exploring enough to think a Season Two could be great. I trust it to deal with the two major events it set up in the finale very well and I still want more closure for her parents so... yeah. Bring it on.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Snak posted:

I watched 2 episodes of 13 Reasons Why, and it really sucked. I'm not saying it doesn't get good, but after 2 eps it was the worst show I've ever seen. Like, Big Bang Theory was much better after 2 eps.

This is the weirdest opinion I've ever seen you have. I really thought you'd love 13 Reasons given your other taste.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

raditts posted:

Yeah, I was definitely less into Legion in the last couple of episodes, and the last episode was a pretty wet fart. I'll still come back to it next season though, I'm still interested in seeing where it goes.

For all the praise he gets Noah can't write an ending for poo poo. Every season of every show he's ran just kind of dribbles out to a limp conclusion.

Also it doesn't help that it only took Fargo two seasons to become one of the most formulaic shows on TV despite having the freedom to avoid that.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

I haven't seen any American Gods after e2.

Apparently that was a good choice.

They have a 7 season plan to cover a medium sized novel that even as your reading it feels stretched very thin. One season alone will cover the main character being deliberately side lined into a supernatural spin-off of Midsummer Murders.

You're best choice is to wait for the entire show to finish then binge it but even then it's only going to realistically get to season three before it's cancelled because the glacial pace makes it bleed viewers and critical reception.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Season Three is one big ending to Fargo as a series and as Noah has proven consistently, he just can't write a good ending.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mike Myers donated a good chunk of his personal fortune to a small blu-ray label in the UK when they were in financial troubles basically ensuring they will go on forever restoring and caring for old films that would otherwise be forgotten. He's a really great guy with a passion for film only matched by Tarantino. He just doesn't have that much creativity left and has suffered a backlash.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

-Blackadder- posted:

I'm still debating even bothering to watch Season 3 of The Leftovers. I really just could not stand season 1 and while season 2 was a huge improvement I feel like the show just isn't for me since I was always more interested in the mystery than the characters' endless grief-mugging, and the showrunners made it pretty clear that the mystery wasn't really the point of the show and probably wouldn't even end up being explained.

On the other hand it's only 8 episodes, I can marathon that in my sleep, and it seems to be getting rave reviews so maybe I'll give a shot.

e: Haha, well 10 minutes in and they literally drone strike the most annoying characters in the show. Subtle. Think I'll keep going based on that.

Dont worry it turns out they were lying all along and the mystery being resolved is the point of the finale.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The fact that the finale of the series came down to choosing wether you believe in the explanation that ties up every mystery in the show or wether you don't proves it was never a show about the characters with no interest in an explanation. Of course it was always going to explain things. That should've been obvious in season two when they started layering the mysteries up. It basically did the opposite of Lost. Pretended it was about the characters and then surprised you with an explanation. Lost pretended it was about the mystery and then surprised you by being poo poo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

precision posted:

Not that I was watching The Leftovers for "the answer" but the answer they gave is actually really cool and is one of the few explanations that nobody had been guessing.

I'm fairly sure that alternative reality was the first guess anyone had. But it was handled well.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

less laughter posted:

She's been starring on a Netflix sitcom for two seasons now so there goes your theory

Has she?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Vinyl was a genuinely terrible show. Probably the worst prestige show in recent years. Bobby Carnivale having zero charisma didn't help his character and the show runner being an awfully boring writer tanked it. Seriously between Boardwalk and Vinyl HBO must of been desperate to burn all bridges with that guy. What an incredible achievement it was to turn those subject matters into boring poo poo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

raditts posted:

If people didn't want Elba to be James Bond, can you imagine the response from a nerdier and more toxic fanbase?

Do you honestly think the fanbase of a show built around change and hope and inclusivity is more toxic than a fan base built around a masculine action fantasy where women are disposable objects?

I can guarantee that 99% of the Doctor Who fan base aren't mad about this move and I would wager that over half is actually happy.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Name one, because from where I stand they're all nobody tv/stage actors. Did I miss an Ian McKellen doctor somewhere in there?

Eccleston, Tennant and Capaldi were all well regarded and famous actors here in the UK before they were cast. In fact Eccleston and Capaldi were already household names and yes, I would say they were beloved.

Plus John Hurt.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Like the scene where Joey tells Rachel he's in love with her is probably among the best in this bad series and I wonder why Matt Le Blanc didn't get more jobs

This is the only place I've seen this mentioned and your right. Joey and Rachel were a way better pairing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Man, the BBC pays poo poo. The highest paid star gets the equivalent of like an 8th tier actor on NCIS.

Luckily it pays pretty well for its crew. Its actually kind of lovely that people are kicking off over these figures in the UK when rival companies pay people like Ant & Dec millions upon millions.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Also the two whites guys running it aren't exactly proven experts at nuance or sensitive issues or not portraying slavery and rape as entertaining.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Friends was easily the biggest show listed here. Much bigger than Seinfield which never broke out of the US. Friends was a genuine world wide phenomenon. Saying it's the Two and a Half Men of its time massively undersells both it's reach to this day and it's impact on the TV landscape from then to now.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I wish the Netflix interface was smarter or at least had more options. I hate that it autoplays the next episode or starts the next one whilst your still in the menu. Also I wish it showed episode length somewhere more visible.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Timby posted:

Segel was pretty transparent about how much he loathed doing the show by the seventh season.

And this is the reason he went from a rising star writer and director who was about to be trusted with The Muppets franchise to being practically unheard of outside of a Netflix film. You don't poo poo where you eat.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Timby posted:

No, Segel went to being a nobody because he was a raging alcoholic and developed a reputation for being incredibly moody and difficult to work with...

I'm not sure were disagreeing with each other here.

Aphrodite posted:

Muppet people hated his Muppets movie.

Why?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Timby posted:

Frank Oz loving hated the movie (he was notably sore that he was never consulted on the script, and he felt the finished product was too sappy -- feeling in particular that Kermit was written horribly, and the concept that the Muppets would ever become irrelevant was disrespectful), Dave Goelz admitted he did it for the paycheck and both Bill Barretta and Matt Vogel said at a few points they weren't particularly happy with it, either.

Edit: Oh, poo poo, I think Steve Whitmire was incredibly unhappy, too, to the point that he considered removing his name from the credits until cooler heads prevailed / they did some last-minute reshoots on the ending.

Oh. Well I thought it was a great film, and the Muppets had become irrelevant. Though I guess the people behind the scenes probably know better about what people want.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Looten Plunder posted:

How does this exist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YguljAFU3Bc

When apparantly this is how the show is made?

That's Neil Patrick Harris. Apparently the first time it happened it was a random audience member and then it became an in joke where NPH would mimic that laugh. The audience and the cast screenings were one and the same so that the audience of fans still got to meet/see the stars.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Finally got around to watching Unbreakable season 3 and it's much, much better than Season 2. That said for how much I enjoy it in the moment I can't help but feel that a few years from now it'll have aged terribly and we will all recognise Tina Fey has being an amazingly hateful writer.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

So Dirk Gently is basically one of the best shows in recent years - certainly with one of the strongest starts - and no one is talking about it?

Is it because it's written by genuinely great writer but internet marmite Max Landis? Because I'm fairly sure most people dislike him because they wish they were him.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Nobody actually cares about or watches MST3K

Yeah apparently it's ratings were terrible. Turns out when there's a vast selection of other stuff to watch most people don't want to watch bad films with some funny stuff said over them.

They would be better off adapting it into a commentary mode for existing Netflix content.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

Max Landis' only contribution to Chronicle was a nebulous co-writing credit so it doesn't seem fair to credit him for that movie regardless.

He came up with the story, the characters and the wider mythology. And he wrote the first several drafts.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

What movie deserved the Makeup and Hairstyling award more?

Star Trek Beyond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

raditts posted:

I dunno, I think Rookie Blue probably gives it some good competition.

Is that still on? What's been happening in it?

Also, wasn't there a Canadian cop show that did an amazing single shot school shooting episode? Is that any good outside of that episode?

• Locked thread