Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

Oh, for real? I've been meaning to watch Glow for ages but the trailer (and presence of Mark Maron?) somehow convinced me it would be kinda sad and mean-spirited. That's deffo going to the top of the list then. Thanks, peeps!

Will have to look into these others too.

It starts a bit dark- early on the lead character does a bad thing that hurts her only friend- but it's all about the rebuilding. Everyone's very flawed, but they're rarely beyond redemption. A bunch of women who have problems finding a kind of common purpose in a stupid campy wrestling show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Hah, the one episode of the new Trek that they aired on CBS ends on a cliffhanger.

Like it's decent but gently caress you

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

They did the same with ST:TNG. Also it wasn't terribly bad! This one was written by Brian Fuller so we'll see how long into the series it remains to be good but I'm willing to eat crow so far.

Yeah but you didn't have to pay to see part two. (And also I think that was just one long premiere, later split in two parts for reruns.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The Mick is still good.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The thing that confuses me about that is, it's not like Agents of SHIELD really does much in the way of marketing for the MCU movies these days. They'll mention a couple of the developments off-hand and then get on with whatever story they're telling, and the Marvel movies don't reference the series in any way. So it's odd that Disney would want to keep it around for that reason.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

Well they're moving it to Fridays so consider it dead by the spring IMO.

Edit: I tried to wade into the Orville thread and hoo boy do you have some dumbs in there. McFarlane sure is a poo poo-fly attractant.

Also about the Hulu app, it's a perfect example of engineers being told to make it "look prettier" with zero concern with functionality. It's pretty bad.

I'm pretty sure now that there's an economic incentive to make this stuff less functional. You don't want the viewer looking at the whole catalog- you want them looking at the stuff you want them to look at, because it's an original or you paid a lot to get the rights for it. It's the same with how bookstores decide what gets the fancy displays close to the entrance and what's just stuck on the shelf.

And Hulu doesn't have an Instant Watcher equivalent (though I can't be sure I'm not seeing their entire movie library through the app, they seemed to lose EVERYTHING when Filmstruck started, not just the Criterions.)

At this point I may just be keeping it to finish off the original Outer Limits.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Apparently my arch nemesis found all the dragon balls and Will and Grace is back on the air?

Not only that, NBC renewed it for a second season before airing anything.

I kinda want to see what happens if it turns out to be a ratings disaster but it's NBC so who the gently caress would notice

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Crazy Ex Girlfriend is baaaaaaaaaaack

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Everything I've heard about All Access is such a clown show that I'm willing to wait for Discovery to eventually show up on Hulu or whatever.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
What I'm saying is I'm waiting for it to fail. Could be years but I don't see these guys surviving the first market contraction.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Or she had an experience with Weinstein or someone like him

ISTR she had a row with her agent after he kinda dissed her in the press (one of those "she would be nothing without me!" statements), fired him, and that hurt her career a little.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Amy Sedaris' new show is pretty fun so far. She's delightful as ever.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The Silmarillion is still controlled by Tolkien's estate, the current executor (his grandson) being someone who's opposed to any adaptations at all. The reason we have versions of The Hobbit and LotR is because Tolkien sold those rights to Saul Zaentz back in the late 60s.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The plan is for someone to buy them out and then profitability will be their problem.

That's also why they're slow on the whole "Nazis and bots everywhere" problem. They need a high user count.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Well yeah the whole Russian bot thing has kinda tanked them and now they're flailing around trying to make themselves look presentable but not actually alienating the horrible fascists. Plus there's the whole Silicon Valley "it's free exchange of ideas, man" bullshit

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Slamhound posted:

Twitter may not be profitable, but for the foreseeable future, it's indispensable which is far more valuable.

But they still have to have revenue, right?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

TNA has existed for longer than Ted Turner's version of WCW has existed, and i'm not sure TNA has EVER turned a profit.

Inexplicable.

So Twitter is being funded by Panda Energy?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Slamhound posted:

Nope. They don't have to do poo poo. If they "need" revenue on paper, then they'll manufacture it. But at that level of power/influence/money, they don't need poo poo.

I mean in the simplest terms, payroll, overhead, keeping the lights on in the offices. Unless they've managed some deal with local governments where they just don't have to pay utilities (which is entirely possible.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I suppose my question is, are they just doing constant refinancing or are they constantly finding new investors?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Are there any sources for this that aren't the Daily Mail?

Because they are often wrong about many many things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
There may be a device where the characters switch to English just to be not so subtitle heavy.

• Locked thread