Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Snak posted:

On ep7 of Person of Interest now. Ep 6 was the first decent ep.

I understand accepting a premise for the sake of storytelling, but Finch is the dumbest motherfucker to ever design a system to find patterns in society. Like, either the system searches for terrorists by identifying potential victims, or when he backdoored in to get his irrelevant list, he decided that victims were more important than perps and that he should get the victim list. Both of these show no understanding of crime prevention at all. The system is supposed to detect intent, so it must know the perps, Finch just decided it would be better to start from the victims and work backwards. There would be no episode plots otherwise.

This loving Elias subplot is kicking off right now, but it feels really stupid that, in show about a machine that finds and connects pieces of human behavior into a cohesive pattern, humans seem to be the only ones putting together these pieces.

Or, as I said, the machine is putting together these pieces, but Finch is too stupid to look at them because he's busy looking for victims rather than hunting criminals.

Like I said, I know I just have to accept that this is the premise, but it just feels so stupid to go about things this way. I guess It's kind of pointless to worry about this until more about the machine is revealed in the show.

Yeah, show goes into that and how the Machine works with Finch vs. how it works with US intelligence and black ops groups, and why that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The first half of season three of Hannibal is the low point but the second half is really good. My favorite description of the first half of season 3 is that while it's pretty poor overall, Larry Fishburne still shows up to throw a fool through some plate glass so its totally worth watching.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Snak posted:

Has Forrest Whittaker ever given a bad performance? he's always amazing.

Nobody escapes Battlefield Earth unscathed.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Dark Matter at its best feels like somebody's homebrew Shadowrun campaign, complete with anachronistic sci-fi samurai, but in space and minus the elves. The show at its best is the group pulling heists, doing runs, and playing various corps against each other but there are a lot of pretty bad episodes in there.

I don't make the table-top role playing game comparison in a negative way, after all, that's what The Expanse started as.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

try the new taco place posted:

re: Ray Donovan, Showtime seems to not know the difference between shows that are extremely expensive and look rich, and shows that are actually good. With the notable recent exception of Twin Peaks.

I mean, it's definitely not only Showtime. I'm trying to watch Tin Star on Amazon and this is the worst "Difficult Man prestige drama" I've ever seen.

Quite frankly, there's not enough writing and creative talent to support all these channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Amazon with with genre over tone, for my money the best existing series they could have optioned is Red Rising with multiple POVs thrown in because that absolutely nails the things people like about Game of Thrones without getting bogged down in the muck. But it's sci-fi space opera. But I think some movie is already in dev for it.

• Locked thread