Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Spatula City posted:

oh no, is the Westworld thread THAT bad? :ohdear:

It was until it took a little break and now it's merely not great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't think anyone's actually still talking about Korra...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It gets good from episode one

... but okay episode 4 is the first hint of how special it is and episode 7 is when it starts really showing it. From there on it's great.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

We're a week out so I've made a Series of Unfortunate Events thread.

Do Not Click This Link! Only misery awaits within

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Everyone's so mean about people liking or not liking shows they don't/do.

I do agree with IRQ that people's hatred of procedurals as a concept is a bit weird when there are good and bad ones of those like anything else. But I understand if your experience with them is mostly bad it might make you reluctant to sit through others to see if they're good.

Personally I love PoI when it's more procedural as well as when it's more serial. If you like the former you'll like the first three seasons better than the last two. If you like the latter I can only really see you disliking the first season (based on only that criteria).

Anyway the only actual request I have is for people to stop trying to actively get others not to try it. If they're interested enough to start it they can decide for themselves if the promise of its format shifting as it goes along is enough to get them through it. :)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Out of curiosity, what did the turnaround for you?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

Unfortunate Events is boss. Watch it. NPH chews scenery like a beaver.

It's so good. I'm two episodes in and it's everything I could've wanted

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm losing my mind about how good Series of Unfortunate Events was

Waiting a year for more is gonna be torture

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

IRQ posted:

Ok what is up with you guys? What is this show?

I remember a movie of it coming out that looked bad.

Read the OP of my thread, it tells you everything you need to know about what this is and where it came from.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804363

Short version it's a Netflix show based on a fantastic series of books that I loved as a teenager, that was adapted into an awful movie years ago, and is now finally being adapted into a TV show that is excellent.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BSam posted:

Especially once the underlying story and conspiracies get going.

And the show just brings that poo poo in from minute one, it's cool

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Liked the first episode of UNFORTUNATE EVENTS. Though I feel like they should've held off on that final scene for another few episodes. It kind of undercuts the tension.

There's a very good reason they did it this way. Just keep watching.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

precision posted:

I think it's extremely funny

Yeah it cracks me up constantly both with familiar jokes from the books and new ones that surprised me

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It makes sense, The Reptile Room is probably the strongest source material from the early books. I'm really pumped for where they're going to go from here since the next season covers the period where the books themselves started getting better and the larger story started coming into focus.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

He isn't lying about that so yes if that's genuinely a kind of story you can't handle then you're right not to watch it.

It's just how the story goes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hm I don't think that's called for

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

raditts posted:

Now I'm afraid of watching Unfortunate Events and hating it, because most of the appeal of the books is not so much in the plot as it is in the writing style that I feel like wouldn't translate well to screen. Also because that 200X movie was such a piece of poo poo.

I think it translates really well. I despised the movie too and the show nails the feel of the books perfectly. Aside from one person in the show's thread, everyone who's coming at the show from the background of the books seem to like it. It looks to me like people bouncing off the first episode tend to not like the style that the show and books are going for.

I think you'll enjoy it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

lelandjs posted:

I won't go into what the show adds to the books because it's kinda spoilery but it was definitely kinda off-putting to me.

I know exactly what you're talking about and if that is what made you stop watching you should really reconsider because it goes somewhere amazing and is one of the best parts of the season.

If you don't like the rest that's fine but if you stopped for that reason I promise it was a mistake.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

lelandjs posted:

[Edit: though I guess it could be a double blind... huh, maybe I should watch more]

I think you should. ;) The show does a lot of cool things and I think the additions work very well.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Uh I'm the one guy that actually really liked the movie, but is kinda wary of committing to something that seems to spin its wheel as a thematic point, 1) why did you not like the movie, and 2) what does the show do better than it? Thx.

I couldn't stand Jim Carrey's version of Count Olaf. Cramming the plot of 3 books into one movie meant that not enough time was spent on any of them and the characters and plot had no room to breathe or develop. Plus they also did some really weird nonsensical things with the plot, chopping out the finale of the first book and apending it on to the end of the movie despite it making no logical sense there.

The show addresses each of these complaints. I at least greatly prefer NPH's Count Olaf. With two episodes per book the story isn't rushed. And by adapting four books for the first season it feels like it reaches a meaningful end point rather than an arbitrary one. I also greatly prefer the show's version of Lemony Snicket. In the movie his role was very minimal and he was detached and not very funny, dramatically different from the narration of the books. In the show they chose instead to have him appear throughout talking directly to the audience and keeping a lot of the humor and charm that made me fall in love with the books in the first place.

Side note I'm not sure what you mean by "spin its wheel" because that's not how I'd describe what happens. There's definitely a forward moving plot.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 17, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Shageletic posted:

The adults getting killed by an increasingly obvious Olaf, and no one listening to the kids entirely reasonable accusations regarding it.

Just found it vexing. I mean, there's motive AND means goddamn it, Law and Order would be all over this poo poo.

If you've only seen the movie then yeah that element is taken to the extreme. It's mainly the first 3 books that follow that formula with no deviation which was all the movie covered. Already by the last two episodes of the TV show covering the fourth book things have started moving in a different direction.

Not to say you won't find it frustrating. A big theme of the books is about being trapped in an uncaring and ignorant world and how they learn to survive and protect themselves in spite of it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Anyone who gets annoyed by that stuff has clearly never been a child

It certainly connected with me when I first read the books as a kid.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lycus posted:

I just watched the first two episodes of Series of Unfortunate Events and have no idea what the show is going to be about now. They could've stretched that out to season if so inclined.

Stretching a 162 page book into a whole season would be quite a feat.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

lelandjs posted:

I watched more if TSoUE and it immediately got a bit better after the second episode.

I told ya

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't think I like where this is going

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just watched episode 4 of Sneaky Pete

:stare:

This is a good show

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Medullah posted:

Anyone care to spoiler it? I'm so far behind in shows that while it's on the list, there's many more before it. I watched the first 3 episodes but got way behind.

You don't want this

Trust me

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

X-O posted:

Travelers being renewed is amazing news. Everyone go watch Travelers.

I'll do it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I have no idea what to make of Legion so far, but I'm curious enough to watch more.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

whowhatwhere posted:

e: that said it's a complete mood piece, if you mainly enjoy movies for their plot or their characters you'll be bored to tears.

I dunno, that describes me yet I was entranced by it. It's really good.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

X-O posted:

Travelers being renewed is amazing news. Everyone go watch Travelers.

I'm two episodes in and it owns thanks for the rec

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

raditts posted:

It was only 3 episodes, really? I thought I was behind on it and turns out I saw it all.

There are 6 episodes :geno:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Over the Garden Wall was so loving good.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

X-O posted:

Travelers and 12 Monkeys aka The Good Ones.

Having at least checked out all the recent time travel shows, this is correct

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Continuum is the best one.

No

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

No, I do not thing that watching the last 5 episodes of a story heavy arc of a show you already don't like and aren't invested in the characters is going to suddenly make you like it.

It might depend a bit on when you stopped watching but the show's been great since season 2 so if you haven't liked it in some time since then what's the point of starting now?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Season 3 of Broadchurch started tonight.

Huh

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GreenNight posted:

The BBC version, not the failed Fox version.

The BBC version was also extremely bad (after season 1)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Apparently the bird is actually dying and this is its literal swan song. :(

I saw one comment claiming that but I'm pretty sure they were full of poo poo. The concept of dying birds singing as a warning is one I've never heard of before.

Fortunately I don't have to speculate because the creator of the original video provided the actual explanation. The bird is neither snoring nor dying - it is warming itself up from a state of torpor. The video was filmed during an experiment on this very issue, and the BBC version ignored the context.

Here's the original if you want more details:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pj5huCuhD_Q

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Looten Plunder posted:

So I finally got round to watching/finishing The Good Place and people were right, the ending was awesome. Can I get some clarification how it actually aired though? The second last episode goes for an hour and that's were all the crazy poo poo goes down, but then the last episode is back to regular run time and seems like a complete waste of time/anti climax. Did they have some sort of contractual obligation for an extra episode or something? It's completely worthless.

What are you talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Looten Plunder posted:

Nevermind, I'm a complete idiot. Turns out Episode 12 I downloaded was 12 and 13 together, and then episode 13 was just the second half of what I already watched. I thought they were going for a groudhog day thing, but I was literally just watching the same episode

That's impressive!

• Locked thread