Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just finished the last (?) episode of Sherlock.

It's funny, I liked how grounded the show was initially, and then when it started to get a little silly it started to lose me (though I kept watching anyway).

Keeping with it paid off, as the finale went so far around the silly bend that it curved back around to being sort of awesome instead? I dunno.

As a fan of Sherlock, I can't really say I enjoyed it. As a fan of the Zero Escape videogame series, however, I dug the poo poo out of it. Probably the closest we'll come to a movie/TV adaptation of the series.

However the Batman Forever-style running towards the camera at the end was not a satisfying ending shot IMHO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SpannerX posted:

Oh, I'm going to hate watch the gently caress out of that, then get MY WIFE to admit it's poo poo so I don't have to watch any of that again.

If it's any consolation, it's almost certainly the series finale of the show.

Also, I put it in spoiler text previously but gently caress it: If you're a fan of the Zero Escape videogame series, you'll probably get a kick out of E04S03 of Sherlock because it felt more like Zero Escape then it did Sherlock. Not even kidding.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

raditts posted:

Now I'm afraid of watching Unfortunate Events and hating it, because most of the appeal of the books is not so much in the plot as it is in the writing style that I feel like wouldn't translate well to screen. Also because that 200X movie was such a piece of poo poo.

I've only watched the first episode so far and my main issue is both how close it is to the books and how it diverts from the books. For instance, Klaus' pretentious manner of speaking works fine on the page, but starts to get grating after awhile while watching a TV show. I won't go into what the show adds to the books because it's kinda spoilery but it was definitely kinda off-putting to me.

Also, the show is all over the map tonally. I get that it can't be grimdark all of the time, but some of the silliness is a... bit too much. Finally, because of the performances of some of the actors, the show seems far more childish than the books ever did (see also: the Golden Compass movie).

I don't mind NPH as Olaf, though I didn't see him as anyone other than Olaf, so jury's still out on him. I know Carrey was a polarizing choice for Olaf for the movie, but I personally felt like he did a great job of making all the characters Olaf pretends to be feel unique at a glance.

That said, ASoUE isn't a bad show, per se. I personally didn't enjoy watching it, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who will.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Regy Rusty posted:

I know exactly what you're talking about and if that is what made you stop watching you should really reconsider because it goes somewhere amazing and is one of the best parts of the season.

If you don't like the rest that's fine but if you stopped for that reason I promise it was a mistake.

The parents? Nah, it wasn't that, it was really how hard it seemed they were pushing the VFD stuff... Though I guess in retrospect it was only obvious because I knew about it.

The parents thing was actually pretty great because I know that the Beaudelare parents can't possibly be alive so they added scenes of them as a giant rear end pull to gently caress with the more knowledgeable viewers

[Edit: though I guess it could be a double blind... huh, maybe I should watch more]

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I watched more if TSoUE and it immediately got a bit better after the second episode. Just finished the seventh episode now and lol I had completely forgotten about the Quagmires. Well played, show.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

There are already Boston Marathon bombing movies. Trump movies? Try next year.

Yeah, there's no way that Danny Strong isn't already working on a screenplay for HBO about the 2016 election right now, probably with a focus on Hillary's campaign.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Timby posted:

For those wondering, Netflix just announced that House of Cards S5 drops May 30.

Wait, what the gently caress has CNN been playing for the past year then?

[Edit: In retrospect I did think it was strange that they recast Robin Wright and barely featured Frank]

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Speaking of late, has anyone read an interview or anything with the creators of Rick and Morty explaining why they're dragging so hard on season 3?

It is literally impossible to search for Rick and Morty news on the internet without wading through ten thousand fake clickbait "RICK AND MORTY SEASON 3 RELEASE DATE REVEALED" sites because apparently the fanbase is all gullible morons who spend too much time on the internet.

Animation takes awhile Morty, hoooo*burp*oow do you think it's made, do you think that you just magically snap your fingers and all of the frames of the carefully drawn and colored episode appear out of thin air? No, Morty, TV shows are animated by Korean children, children like *belch* you Morty, they're chained to desks and forced to draw every single movement we make until their fingers are numb.

*Rick gives Morty the finger.*

You see that, Morty? Four Korean kids just got arthritis so I could flip you off. Animation is hosed, Morty, and it takes forever.

[Edit: Real answer is that Dan Harmon is a lazy perfectionist]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 20, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

Episode 7? I'm drawing a blank on how it was particularly miserable

Mother and Father were not the Baudelaire parents despite the show hinting that they were.

[Edit: whoooooops that's now how you spoiler tag]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 25, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

The only thing that shocks me about the Archie TV show is that every episode doesn't have a Josie and the Pussycats song that they're selling on iTunes.

Or does it? I haven't actually watched. Although I probably will when Sabrina the Teenage Witch shows up.

But seriously, we've had a Sabrina TV show and a Josie movie so why are we so shocked that they finally got around to an Archie show? They had to get around to it eventually.

The comic doesn't seem like it would support a series, which I guess is why they went... well, I've only seen the preview, so I can't really comment, but why they did whatever you'd call what they did.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

feedmyleg posted:

TV shows have been based on a whole lot less than "goofy high school boy has to choose between the girl next door and the rich heiress while navigating the trials and tribulations of high school."

I loved Archie as a kid, and have a few of the 40s-60s collections, which are terrific. It's a bit sad to me that they had to go so dark when the original property was so light and fun for so many years, but :shrug: this is the way of things these days. It's not like Spider-Man and Batman weren't goofy for many years too.

Just seems like a bit of a shame that it couldn't be a fun, feel-good, comedic show. And a period piece, since Riverdale felt like it was still in the 50s up until the recent reboot.

Ah but this is the age of peak TV, where everything must be a dark grimfest.

Also I feel like, given the current political climate, a show that harkens back to the good ol' days of the 50s where women and foreigners knew their place might be slightly too on the nose.

[Edit: Make Riverdale Great Again]

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

Isn't Archie reasonably progressive?

I wouldn't know, though. I just got that impression somewhere.

Short answer is "yes, but only recently".

A show like the poster above described (a throwback to the 50's) would suffer issues like a lack of people of color/women with agency (for literally decades Betty and Veronica's sole character trait was being in love with Archie, and while I'm sure there are black/latinx/asian characters in the comics now there certainly weren't any to begin with, Valerie for instance got added in the... 60's, I think).

And if a show that took place in the 50s added those elements it would (unfortunately) ring false. There's simply no way to win with a light-hearted show based on the original run Archie comics.

[Edit: well I guess there's the subversive angle pointing out how horrible things were for women/POC but it would be hard to balance with a light-hearted tone]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 27, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I watched Riverdale. Sigh.

Probably gonna watch a few more episodes before I decide it's not for me.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

Sweet/Vicious makes me wonder if Marvel heroes like Captain America or Hawkeye have official Twitter accounts and blogs and instagrams.

In Unbeatable Squirrel Girl the recap page is usually Squirrel Girl talking about what happened in the last ish on Twitter and various Marvel heroes @ reply her, usually Iron Man. I don't think Hawkeye or Cap have made appearances, though.

Also that reminds me Netflix when the gently caress are you gonna make an Unbeatable SG series?

Edit: I know the Twitter stuff makes Unbeatable Squirrel Girl sound unbearable but I swear the series is one of the best comics that Marvel's put out in recent history, giving us such gems as Cat Thor and Galactus mocking Thanos for being a giant hipster (he makes his own gloves) emo (he's in love with death) tool.

Here's my favorite sequence from the latest issue:

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 28, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocksicles posted:

Squirrel Girl is one show the Internet would tear a sunder. Every step of the way, it'd be unbearable.

The internet can go gently caress itself, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is loving awesome and hilarious and good.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

Well I'm going to buy a bunch of comic books for the first time ever, Squirrel Girl looks funny

It's written by Ryan North of Dinosaur Comics so in short, yeah, it's funny as hell.

The art can be divisive but I love it because it's concurrently very different from the usual Marvel style but still recognizably comic bookish.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 28, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

14 minutes into Riverdale. Archie is... a player? :psyduck:

Yeah, I thought the guitar playing thing was a little out of left field too.

(Seriously though I was actually more caught off guard by how much the actress playing Ms. Grundy looked like Felicity on Arrow)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

So apparently Paul Feig is trying to drum up interest in a second season of Other Space, his sci-fi comedy series that was on the terrible Yahoo Screen service.

It would be great if it got a second season, it didn't grab me at first but there's some really inspired writing and concepts as it goes on and the actors in it are all hilarious. I'm glad that Karan Soni keeps popping up in things (most notably Deadpool) and a few of the Other Space cast had small roles in Ghostbusters: Pointless Subtitle (because of Feig, no doubt).

Speaking of space comedies does anyone elese one wonder sometimes what Boldly Going Nowhere would have been like?

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 1, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

The dialogue and everything was real fuckin bad. If it wasn't a radical reinvention of a previously existing properly nobody would give a poo poo.

This is the realization I've come to. There's nothing particularly interesting or compelling about it besides a. it's Archie but darker and b. there's lots of pretty young people in it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O posted:

Great Hot Take from a guy I've never heard of.

I read the name as Dave Sim as first and was very confused as to why the misogynistic shitheel who wrote Cerebus was weighing in on TV shows on twitter.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

bagrada posted:

I got a Nielson survey in the mail, came with a crisp new $5.00 bill and offered me another if I returned the survey about my favorites. Netflix counts as a channel, right? If not I guess I could have answered NBC, they have The Good Place and This is Us. Add in Timeless, Powerless, Black List and Emerald City and I'm watching the most shows from them this year so far.

I got the same survey and after some discussion with the wife realized that our "favorite" channel was FX/FXX. Atlanta, Fargo, Always Sunny, Archer, You're The Worst... they've been killing it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

raditts posted:

Just own the fact that you enjoy really bad tv, BSam
We all have our lovely TV vices

I'm not embarrassed to admit that I watched Leverage and White Collar way longer than I should have.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocksicles posted:

I still haven't watched the last two episodes of Dexter. I waited 6 moths to watch the final episode of Lost, not falling for old bait and switch again.

Counterpoint: Lost's ending was always going to alienate one side of the audience, the other half thought and still thinks that is was great. :colbert:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

Who?

It's a bad episode because it's bad and exactly what everyone knew it would be but they swore up and down it wasn't.

The flash sideways were the show's version of afterlife/heaven. Could the flash sideways be read as purgatory? Sure.

But what people (including myself, for the first three or so seasons) had thought was that the ISLAND itself was purgatory, which it was not. The events on the island really happened to the characters, and when they died they were taken to the flash sideways "universe", were they were given a chance to reunite with their loved ones from the island and atone for their sins.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 8, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

Lost has really annoyingly loud blaring sad music signifying SADNESS and it was the most annoying in the finale. Add in all the slow motion shots of people crying and it just feels like manipulative garbage telling me I should be sad. gently caress off Damon Lindelof.

Deadpool had really annoying silly soundtack drops signifying RIDICULOUSNESS and it was the most annoying in the finale. Add in the slow motion shots of heroes doing awesome stuff and it just feels like manipulative garbage telling me I should be enjoying myself. gently caress off Ryan Reynolds.

[Edit: all media is designed to be emotionally manipulative is the point I'm making here]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 8, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't like Deadpool either but more because of the cringey edgey jokes. You can manipulate emotions without being annoying.

I dislike most multicam shows with laugh tracks because it makes me feel awkward when I hear people laughing but I'm not laughing myself (looking at you, Big Bang Theory). Laugh tracks aren't always bad, though (IT Crowd, HIMYM).

Lost's finale has never felt overly manipulative to me, personally, because whenever I rewatch the show by the time the finale comes around I'm completely involved with the characters and their problems again. The fact that the show allows--heck, encourages--a full release of grief upon the ending isn't actually a bad thing.

But yeah, if you don't care as deeply about the characters, and instead cared more about the mysteries and conspiracies, then yeah, I guess the finale will ring emotionally false for you because you weren't given the release you wanted.

That's why I said that the finale works for roughly half of Lost viewers earlier. The half that cared about the characters got an ending they wanted, while the people who wanted grand, sweeping explanations out of the show were left wanting.

I would argue that, taken as a whole, Lost posits that the grander events in our lives don't matter--what really matters is who you are and treat those around you--and that's why they chose the ending they went with. That said this post has gone on too long already and also I'm sure X-O is looking for an excuse to ban Lost finale chat from the thread again so I should probably shut up.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think it's not even that Netflix is destined to make some bad shows eventually, it's just that some shows are made for people with different taste than the average close television watcher. Fuller House is a great example of that, as is The Ranch. I think both are straight garbage, but my coworker who watched Full House growing up loves Fuller House, and my coworker who loves Chuck Lorre shows likes The Ranch.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Bojack Horseman Stanger Things, and Jessica Jones are very much my poo poo, but I haven't made it more than a few episodes into OitNB, Daredevil, or Luke Cage. All of those shows are critical darlings.

Tastes are subjective and Netflix knows it. Sure, they have a few misfires (Hemlock Grove) but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a Netflix show that doesn't work for, at least, the incredibly specific demographic Netflix intended it for.

[Edit: can CBS please give up the ghost on making that new Star Trek show that's destined for failure and let Netflix have the rights instead? I need a new space opera show and I don't think Lost In Space is gonna scratch that itch]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 16, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Interesting. The LiS cast looks a million times better than the ST one, and it's supposed to have a huge budget as well. The producers don't have a great record, but without Bryan Fuller you could say the same for Trek's producers.

Oh I meant they should scrap Discovery entirely and start a new show from scratch.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

Did Always Sunny finally end?

It's been renewed through 2019. But it has short seasons so the cast has time to work on movies and TV shows, which is how Charlie Day has been in at least one movie a year for the past five years and how Kaitlyn Olsen has time for The Mick.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cartoon Network's April's Fools prank is adding googly eyes to the main characters in all of their shows. They move with the characters, too.

It's amazing.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MiddleOne posted:

It's the second one.

Also, irregardless of how you feel about the second one do absolutely not watch the third one. I repeat, do not pass go, do not collect 200$.

Alternatively: Watch the third episode and let the hate flow through you.

(I actually kind of enjoyed it but for the wrong reasons)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

I don't know, I've blocked most of Sherlock from my memory.

Probably none of them. First episode can be summed up as

*Camera briefly focuses on a cab in the background before shifting focus to our characters*
"The killer must be someone who can travel throughout the city without raising any suspicion."
*Camera focuses on a cab in the backgroun*
"Someone that people wouldn't notice. But what kind of person could that be?"
*cab drives by*

I think the second episode was bunch of orientalism and the worst possibly conceived chain of clues in an mystery ever.

The third episode was... I don't even remember. I think there was a bomb vest?

Yeah, bomb vest, swimming pool, and Moriarty are all I remember about S01E03.

I actually thought about going back and rewatching the first few seasons but I have a sinking feeling that the show isn't actually as good as I thought it was at the time.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
FXX is getting an animated Deadpool TV show with Donald and Stephen Glover as showrunners and animation by Floyd County (Archer).

Really curious to see how this turns out, especially because Marvel has the animation rights to all of their characters.

[Edit: gently caress, this is why I shouldn't take hours to make a post]

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Looten Plunder posted:

Isn't Deadpool Marvel? Are you saying that FXX or whoever bought the animation rights for Deadpool?

Marvel's been limited with the characters they can use in their films and on TV because they sold some of the rights to some of their characters to Fox and Sony ages ago. Fox has rights to *most* of the X-Men and Fantastic Four characters for TV, film, and merchandise (but not all of them, which is how Marvel was able to make a Legion TV series). Sony's got the rights to Spidey and his associated characters, but since they're batting 1/5 with the Spider-Man films (Spider-Man 2, fight me) they traded the film rights to Marvel for Civil War and Spider-Man: Homecoming in exchange for the merchandising rights for the character.

This... complicates things quite a bit when it comes to movies and TV shows featuring Marvel characters, even ones that Marvel makes. It's incredibly unclear about which characters, exactly, fall under the "X-Men" banner, since a LOT of Marvel heroes have had the reason for their powers identified as a mutation. This has actually lead to some characters having the source of powers retconned in the comics Marvel publishes (a recent issue of Squirrel Girl, published when buzz about her getting a TV show was first starting up, explicitly stated that she was not, in fact, a mutant).

However, Marvel and Marvel alone holds the rights to animated versions of all of their characters, and they're the ones making this new animated series. This means that, in the upcoming animated series, we could very well see Deadpool, Spidey, and The Thing team up to kick the poo poo out of Namor (movie rights owned by Universal).

Here's a neat graphic showing which companies own the film rights to various Marvel characters:

[Edit: If you want to get really confused, the DC hero you think of as Captain Marvel is now known as Shazam, not to be confused with Marvel Comics' completely unrelated character called Captain Marvel. Comics are confusing as gently caress.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 11, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

achillesforever6 posted:

Marvel actually has the rights to Namor while Universal has the distribution rights to Hulk (hence why they don't make Hulk movies) The Watchers are also joint custody with Marvel and Fox apparently.

:v: Goddamn it, I thought I had everything right.

Really Disney should just throw a billion dollars at Fox and Sony and get all of Marvel's characters into the house of mouse, if only to make things less confusing.

[Edit: Maybe the most amusing thing to me is that, despite DC owning all film/TV/merch rights to all of their characters, they're really quite bad at making successful film adaptations of their properties (besides the ones based on Batman), and all their TV adaptations are currently drowning in mediocrity on the CW (besides Gotham, which was dead on arrival). That said, they did produce Justice League and Justice League: Unlimited, which are still my favorite comic adaptations to date.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 11, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

achillesforever6 posted:

I rather Marvel just get the FF character rights since that's where all the best Marvel villains are.

What are you talking about, they have great non-FF villains! Like that one giant purple guy who's gonna get out of his loving chair and put on a glove or something eventually.

I actually kind of liked Ronan the Accuser

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Medullah posted:

Back then liking comics was generally not an acceptable thing. It was for us nerds and dweebs. So Marvel had to do what they could to stay alive. Then good ol RDJ came along and made comic movies cool and the Titanic unsunk itself, but they sold off their best characters to Fox and Sony, and had to rely on the B team of the Avengers to bring things back.

The best part is that they didn't really have any expectations for Iron Man. The script was more-or-less written as they went along, the lead was a washed-up relic of the 80's with a spotty past, and no one even knew who the gently caress Iron Man was until that perfect first trailer came out.

I went back and rewatched Iron Man the other day and as awesome as Guardians, Doctor Strange, and Civil War were, Iron Man is still the best "film" to come out of the whole MCU.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Donald Glover has earned so much goodwill from me with the projects he's been involved with (30 Rock, Mystery Team, Community, Childish Gambino, and Atlanta) that I'd watch or listen to anything of his regardless of what it was.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 11, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

less laughter posted:

Atlanta was so good that a Deadpool cartoon almost seems beneath him at this point tbh.

I was thinking about this too. Sure, the Deadpool we all know and love is the insane kooky lolrandom one from the movie and comics, but there's a hypothetical depth to the character that has only recently been explored. Brian Posehn (Sarah Silverman Program and a million other things) was writing Deadpool for a few years and did something that none of the previous writers had done--give him a conscience, which lead to him dealing with the realities of his life that he'd ignored before (the death of his parents and the daughter he didn't know he had). While it sounds boring and dark on the surface, it was actually a really good exploration of the effects of grief and loss have on a person while still remaining true to the character (and funny as gently caress to boot).

Maybe that's the direction they're gonna go with in the show, or maybe Donglover just wants a project that isn't super serious. :shrug: After all, he started in comedy.

[Edit: Also, comedies can also have serious drama moments. Rick & Morty and Bojack Horseman do a great job balancing the two, and two of You're The Worst's best episodes about depression and PTSD, respectively.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

Spoke too soon. It was canceled today along with Son of Zorn and APB.

I actually kinda enjoyed Making History, the amateur Drunk History-esque vibe it had going for it was charming. It always felt kinda "webseries" to me but in a good way, if that makes any sense.

Son of Zorn was terrible and I won't miss it at all, and the concept for APB was so tone deaf that I didn't even bother (even though it had Jo from Eureka).

• Locked thread