Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Spergatory posted:

I swear to god they actually let one "gently caress" slip through, as well. Dunno if that was a mistake or if they're allotted a certain number per season or something.

They ran the season premiere uncensored but then censored the rest of the season for whatever reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I haven't watched any of the Marvel Netflix stuff since I dropped Jessica Jones halfway through and nothing I've heard since then has given me the impression that I'm missing anything.

also holy poo poo this is some of the worst action directing I've seen in a while

https://twitter.com/BrianJNorris/status/843172574272114688

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Arist posted:

Jessica Jones and Daredevil had more than four episodes of plot, obviously, but it also conflates "plot" with "forward progress," as if a television show is an engine that must constantly move forward or it's broken. JJ takes diversions that are relevant to what it's trying to say or gently caress, even just for the sake of it. The primary issue with these shows isn't that they're too long, it's that they don't move fast enough. You could tell much better stories, even within 13 episodes, if the pacing was ramped up massively. I'm mainly annoyed that people consistently complain that the episode orders are too long as if the showrunners can't just write more story. People say Jessica Jones should have ended at episode 10 but the simple fact is the arc of the show wasn't done yet at that point, and while the storytelling to continue it from there was a bit sloppy cutting it down wouldn't have fixed that.

The problem with Jessica Jones is that the story they had couldn't sustain itself for a full season, and instead of breaking things up with a b-plot or smaller mini-arcs, they decided to stretch out the Kilgrave story by adding all sorts of stops and starts and fake-outs to artificially lengthen what should have been a tight, short thriller. There are a lot of moments where characters make ridiculously stupid decisions because the writers painted themselves into a corner and realized that they couldn't let the villain be caught before the season finale. The longer that show went on, the less compelling or likable any of the characters became because it was getting clear that the writers were bending over backwards to wallpaper over the plot's massive structural problems.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

Two posts above are very good except I would argue Killgrave wasn't great after they completely showed their hand with him in ep 8.

Seconding this. Kilgrave was only a good villain at first because they didn't show much of him, and the more screentime and backstory he got the less interesting he became.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/kassyapple/status/844227499882172416

:whitewater:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
the new Samurai Jack is a loving masterclass in how to direct animation

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Popping back in to say that the new Twin Peaks is amazing and the glass box scene is one of the scariest things I've ever seen on television

Also, am I the only one not feeling the new season of Fargo compared to the last two seasons? There's still a lot of good stuff but it feels too self-indulgent and the story isn't compelling enough to make the constant digressions worth it

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
It's starting to get really good now but I can't help but feel like all the quirky stylistic choices are just being used to wallpaper over a bland story/cast instead of enhance an already interesting set of characters like season 2 did. The worst offender was that episode in LA, where they spent a full hour on flashbacks and animated sequences to tell a story that goes nowhere and has nothing to do with the rest of the plot.

The more I think about this season, the more disappointed I am. The first half was overly quirky aimless bullshit that goes nowhere and now the second half just seems like a lesser retread of plots the show has already done before.

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 8, 2017

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
POI season 5 is good but it really suffers from a shortened season order. There's a lot of moments when you can tell that they had a lot more story to tell but had to truncate/drop plotlines at the last second. Still a good ending considering the circumstances they had to work with

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
American Gods is really hit-or-miss for me. The good stuff is excellent, groundbreaking TV but I feel like there's a lot of moments that either don't translate well into live-action or just feel like excuses to say "hey we're on PREMIUM CABLE, look what we can do!"

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I'm on episode 2 of The Leftovers and this is mostly boring and stupid, do the other seasons bother building on any of this stuff with the dumb cult or does it get retooled hard for season 2?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Just finished Leftovers S2 and I liked it significantly more than the first season, but I can't help but feel that it peaks with the international assassin episode and then fizzles out when it just turns into the Guilty Remnant show again

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

J33uk posted:

You should really really stick with it.

oh I am, just hoping that storyline is finished for good

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Just finished The Leftovers! Season 3 is really great and it's a shame that the show as a whole feels like a mediocre, boring story about grief awkwardly grafted onto a really engaging, interesting story about grief, with Season 2 acting as a weird connective tissue between what are essentially two different shows.

Very proud to say that I correctly predicted the final reveal all the way back in episode 1.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah it's not a full scientific explanation or anything but they do explain what happened to the departed and how they disappeared, which is way more closure than I expected to receive

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

JethroMcB posted:

Well, there was no grand reveal of the exact mechanics of what happened, but allegedly:

Reality just sort of...branched apart at the time of the Departure; the 2% that disappeared in our world were now living their lives in a world where 98% of the population vanished in an instant. A team of scientists in our world discovered that a trace amount of unique radiation was present at the site of every departure, and built a machine that would allow a person to travel to the 2% world by subjecting them to a high-amplitude dose of that same kind of energy.

(Or maybe they just built a giant microwave that vaporized desperate people after they gave the scientists their money.)

Again, it was all open to interpretation, because we never actually saw the 2% world or any kind of definitive proof, we just heard the story from someone who may have been lying. The producers said in post-finale interviews that they briefly considered actually showing that character making the journey, however. You can read that as a tacit confirmation, but in the end they decided to forego any definitive answer and leave it up to the viewer.

I think the fact that they actively show her making the journey inside the machine and somehow returning after what would otherwise be a one-way trip is enough proof that Nora was telling the truth, at least in terms of where the departures went.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

Huh? They don't show that at all.

They show her getting locked into the sphere and getting submerged in that solidifying liquid stuff, which probably rules out her getting cold feet at the last second

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

I believe we're meant to get the impression that she could have been calling out for help/to change her mind in the very final shot we see of her in there. We cut on her looking like she could be about to say something

I just interpreted that as taking a deep breath for air before being submerged

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah when I first saw the pilot I was thinking "hey wouldn't it be funny if this is what really happened" and then laughed out loud when it ended up being the case

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The finale didn't do much for me either, not because of anything specific in the finale but because the season as a whole left me cold. Fargo S3 is probably the biggest disappointment of the year for me so far.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
that might have been one of the greatest hours of television I've ever seen

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Felt kinda sour on how Preacher S1 ended but I really like last night's episode. The pacing has gotten exponentially better now that they've finally gotten to the loving point.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The myth arc stuff in X Files just gets dumber and more convoluted as things go on, after a certain point you're better off just watching the standalone episodes

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The problem with the new X Files was that there were only a handful of new episodes and they wasted most of it on stupid myth arc bullshit no one cared about. I'd watch a new season of X Files if it was a normal length season and most of it was standalone episodes.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

raditts posted:

Ahahahaha. Strap in for that one, buddy.

Not to mention Eric Andre at what is probably as close to a normal person as he gets.

One of my favorite Eric Andre stories is how Don't Trust the B ran around the same time Eric Andre Show premiered and ABC was sweating bullets trying not to acknowledge its existence

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

pentyne posted:

So after several years of binging Twin Peaks season 1 in a mad fever dream of mystery and confusion I'm finally going to watch season 2 before I start checking out the revival. It's been mentioned several times before but I think it was recommended that you skip the back half of S2 and just watch Fire Walk With Me (and also check out the Twin Peaks-esque episode of Pysch) instead. Any other good ideas on watching order?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just to make sure I do this properly, I should watch the normal Pilot and not the European Pilot because it's either missing something or has spoilers from memory, then add Fire Walk With Me (which I have seen, but when I was like 13 and don't remember much of) and then the new Season 3. That about right?

Yep, just watch all the episodes in order followed by the movie. There's some really bad stuff in season 2 and that chart is a good indication of where the worst stuff is, but I wouldn't recommend skipping straight to the finale because there's some important things introduced in those episodes.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/RickandMorty/status/880595797695483913

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

swickles posted:

I really liked their Undercover series, of having bands come in and picking from a random list of songs to create a cover of. Some of them get real weird, some of them get real awesome. the best ones get both. I hope this is something that sticks around.

I like this one a lot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdKUTo6xc00

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
watched The Defiant Ones this week, it was pretty decent until the last part where they dropped all pretenses about it being anything other than an elaborate commercial for Beats headphones

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
iirc Dave Sim has paranoid schizophrenia which is part of why he's such a weird rear end in a top hat

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
This season of R&M is great so far, I've been enjoying it more than season two.

My main problem with the show is still that Rick is simultaneously the funniest and least compelling character, and it completely loses me every time they try to get me to care about him as a person. Rick is just Dan Harmon's Gary Stu self-insert character and all of his problems boil down to "Rick is an rear end in a top hat, but he's always right and it's everyone else's fault that he's too real for them". I'm really tired of the writers trying to have their cake and eat it too by making Rick a tragic character but not making him flawed or experience hardship in a meaningful way. It's a shame too, because the rest of the cast is really well written.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
My point is that even when Rick gets called out on his bullshit, it never really sticks in a meaningful way. Every time Rick encounters a problem, it's either shown to be someone else's fault or he easily solves the problem without any outside help. Rick is never not being depicted as a super-competent badass who always has the answers, whose only flaw is that he's too smart and cynical and correct to deal with normal people (but the show often agrees with his cynicism, which doesn't really make it a flaw). The writers really want the viewer to emphasize with how hard it is to be Rick, and I think the sentiment is largely unearned.

I think it would make a huge difference if, just once, the writers put Rick into a situation where he was wrong and Morty was right.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Tim & Eric's Bedtime Stories has been really good this season, but last night's episode is especially :stare: http://www.adultswim.com/videos/tim-erics-bedtime-stories/angel-man-extended-cut/

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
hey, it turns out that filming a tv series about mexican drug cartels on location in mexico is a really loving bad idea

https://twitter.com/latimesworld/status/909935019849793537

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Am I the only one who found the Rick & Morty season finale really underwhelming? The family subplot was nice but the stuff with the President never went anywhere interesting to me

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I'm sad that Outcast got canceled so unceremoniously, but considering Robert Kirkman is total poo poo when it comes to writing endings for his stories it's probably for the best that the show ended early.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Mr Robot is back and it's really good. It's a shame that S2 killed a lot of the show's hype, tonight's episode is way more straightforward and faster paced than the S2 premiere. If anyone was turned off by how deliberate and obtuse the last season was I'd recommend jumping back in.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Season 2 is good but I get why it's really polarizing; pretty much all of it is spent fleshing out side characters and acting as a buildup to Season 3, alongside whatever weird stylistic experiments Sam Esmail wanted to do at the time. Apparently the entire season was sent out to critics (mild spoilers, I guess) and it sounds like it's going to be tighter and more action-packed like Season 1 was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Dan Harmon is an extremely lovely person and Rick is pretty much just an idealized self-insert of him.

• Locked thread