Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So, uh, this season premiere of Always Sunny...
I haven't watched this show in a couple of seasons, has it been "body switching musical episode" level bizarre for a while or is this a recent thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

2x01.

http://personofinterest.wikia.com/wiki/Bear

e: the more appropriate question is "when does it get bad?" really.

I would say the answer to that is when it goes heavy on all the Samaritan poo poo. What I liked about S1-S3 POI was how there were so many different threads and moving parts which left you wondering what was going to happen next and how it was going to happen and who was involved. But then Samaritan comes along and they throw all that into the trash. There are still a lot of great standalone episodes even then, but I think the general plot really starts to suffer at that point.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Dexo posted:

Wow. They completely rewrote their pitch for Powerless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDnO2cvBbnA

If they needed a DC show I wish they had just kept Constantine instead, that clip makes me feel embarrassed for everyone involved.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kraps posted:

My gosh, I was looking forward to this, now it just looks like some "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" 90s kids clone but without the heart or humor.

Is Shooter good?

I don't know, but I have no interest unless it's just this looped over and over
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvjJcaVJlH0

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I didn't hate the first season as much as you guys seem to. Then again, I also don't break out in hives at the prospect of a procedural TV show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

Baywatch Nights? Started out as a detective show and then turned into an X Files clone with ghosts and aliens.

Wait, what? Really?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

UK thread. The premiere was bullshit, but general twitter buzz I'm hearing for ep 2 is stronger.

Yeah, I just watched the new years episode last night, and man that was not enjoyable. I feel like I haven't really liked an episode since like season 2, which was only like 4-5 episodes ago but was also 4-5 years ago.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

precision posted:

Is this love/hate about Sherlock a real thing or a TVIV thing? I agree it's often flawed and has several outright "bad" episodes, but on the whole it's not worth hating is it? Really?

Watch season 3 and decide for yourself. Season 3 is bad, real bad.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

All I learned in this thread is that Lemony Snicket is good but no actual reason

It's based on a series of children's books that are equal parts whimsical and morbid, about a family of children whose parents were killed in a fire as they run from scenario to scenario where their uncle is trying to murder them for their inheritance and no adults will listen to them.

There's a bit more to it than that but that's the basic plotline.

There was a movie like 10 years ago starring Jim Carrey as the murderous uncle that covers roughly the first three books, but I didn't think it was that great.

DivisionPost posted:

Did you like Pushing Daisies? Barry Sonnenfeld, who directed the pilot for that show and set the tone for it, directed half the episodes of Lemony Snicket and brought a lot of the same whimsical design theory to it.

Pushing Daisies was, in turn, very clearly inspired in narration by the Lemony Snicket books.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 14, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Dancer posted:

I didn't say anything about Sherlock because when I saw the discussion basically everything I thought relevant had already been said, but I have just recently discovered that there was a special episode for New Year 2016 (The Abominable Bride). And I just now watched it. And good lord, I feel like puking. It's the cheesiest, dumbest, most transparently commercial "feminist" story I have seen in a long loving time, interspersed with tons of gratuitious fancy-sounding over-acted-to-poo poo dialogue between inconsistent characters with the depth of puddles (those words could also be said of regular Sherlock but *this is worse*). I usually manage to still enjoy the Sherlock episodes on some level but this was beyond garbage. Stay away.

I watched the last episode of season 4 tonight and all I have to say is that it gets worse.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Now I'm afraid of watching Unfortunate Events and hating it, because most of the appeal of the books is not so much in the plot as it is in the writing style that I feel like wouldn't translate well to screen. Also because that 200X movie was such a piece of poo poo.

SpannerX posted:

Oh, I'm going to hate watch the gently caress out of that, then get MY WIFE to admit it's poo poo so I don't have to watch any of that again.

We've only been watching it because we were hoping for at least one good episode, and it's not much of a time commitment when there's not much new airing during the winter hiatus.
But... I think this will have to be where we give up for good, that last episode was just unbelievably bad. It's weird because they have these montages of other cases where all kinds of crazy adventures seem to be ensuing, all of which are far more interesting than the actual plot of the episode.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 17, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was surprised to learn that said movie managed to win an Academy Award (for costume design).

So did 2008 Academy Award nominee Norbit, if I recall.
e: nope, looks like that was makeup.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jiro posted:

Hello thread, SPACE GHOST COAST TO COAST IS TONIGHT! On adult swim at 12:30 central standard time. Gonna be good times.

These are just reruns, right? Why is that special?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Shageletic posted:

The adults getting killed by an increasingly obvious Olaf, and no one listening to the kids entirely reasonable accusations regarding it.

Just found it vexing. I mean, there's motive AND means goddamn it, Law and Order would be all over this poo poo.

The story takes that to a bit of an extreme, but it's not as though adults not believing kids when they tell them about horrible things other adults have done isn't a thing that happens all the time in real life.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

As long as there is an internet, there will always be a use for this image.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Zaggitz posted:

YO THE GOOD PLACE FINALE SURE WAS loving SOMETHING

Don't spoil it. The first time I didn't tune in half an hour early because I kept forgetting it comes on at 8:30 and not 8, and turns out it did loving start at 8 tonight.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Mick is really edging close to It's Always Sunny territory, in a good way. "Cat morphine! You know, morphine but for cats!"

It's remarkable how much they're getting away with- I know this is Fox and all, but there was some dark as hell poo poo in here. It's a good show is what I'm saying.

She's gettin' fuuuuuuuuu...rniture delivered.

edit: the clown episode, holy poo poo this episode holy poo poo

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 20, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

precision posted:

The season finale of The Good Place was absolutely loving mental in the best way imaginable. I mean there are no words.

MiddleOne posted:

I'm genuinely shocked by The Good Place season finale.

same to both of these, forkin' shirt. If that show doesn't get a second season I'm gonna be really upset.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Just wipe out Mu Zeta's post and all the quotes of it, The Good Place deserves better than to be spoiled before people have a chance to watch it.

Hakkesshu posted:

Alright, I had never heard of this show before today, now I guess I just won't bother?

If you read the spoiler, it's still a good and funny show that's worth watching. It's just that you'll be watching it in an entirely different context.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

X-O posted:

The thing is, cable is actually still much cheaper for anyone that actually already has a bundle with cable internet and would want to sub to even just the HBO, Showtime, Starz and sports packages and then you still get all the other channels too. Because I use my own cablecard equipment for internet and cable I end paying around $150 or so a month for cable and internet service and that gives me HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, and TMC. Then I also have access to all my College Basketball and NBA games that I want that I'd have to track down and pay for through other means. I have access to all the ESPN3 services. It would be beyond stupid for me drop cable. My internet alone would be over half that if I dropped the bundle and then I'd need to sub to all those services and and it would actually be more than I'm paying for internet and cable with all the premiums now. And that's not even taking into consideration being able to record shows and having access to other channels like USA, Syfy, History etc.

You can subscribe to PSVue or Sling and get almost all of those, if not all of them.
In my case the cable provider who has a monopoly in my area turned into complete dogshit over the last couple of years (and still charges extra for HD channels in the year 2017), so aside from the fact that I can only get two local channels, dropping the cable package, upgrading to the next tier internet speed, and subscribing to Vue still saves me like $30 over what I was paying.

Not getting to see some of my favorite network shows live kind of sucks, but Vue has on demand services for all of them so I've adapted to just watching them the next day. Worst case, I can always look up one of those sites that aggregates TV live streams. It's not piracy if it's free over the air, is it?

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 24, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

For anyone with morbid curiosity Riverdale premiers tonight on the CW.

I just find the whole thing baffling.

I wish I got local channels, so I didn't have to wait until tomorrow to watch this on the CW app, but I am incredibly curious to see how they even attempt to make this work.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't know anything about Archie comics except the main guy is a ginger and there's a guy named Jughead.

Really, that and the fact that there are two hot girls constantly battling for his jock are all you need to know.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MorgaineDax posted:

Canada (and most non-US countries I think) gets Riverdale on Netflix the day after the episode airs. US is going to get it a week after the season finale.

Orrrr you can go to cwtv.com or use the cw app and watch it for free.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

GreenNight posted:

The 100 comes back this coming week too.

I don't know how they will follow up last season's cliffhanger without making GBS threads the bed. I guess we'll see!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

"[/spoiler posted:

IRQ" post="468835639"]
I fell off The 100 when it turned into Clarke and Whoever's apocalypse politics tower hour last season, did it get good again?

Not so much that I would tell you to catch up if you hated season 3 enough to stop watching. The season cliffhanger was that the evil AI was assimilating people because nuclear reactors all over the world are getting ready to all melt down at the same time in six months or so, so Clarke and the gang probably have to go on a world tour to stop them, somehow...? Or maybe just wait things out until they die...? I dunno

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Medullah posted:

I'm alright with that but I seriously wish they'd knock off the "Look how beautiful that girl is, I have no chance with him" in every show ever. Poor Felecity Smoak, the ugliest woman ever...oh wait.

Felicity wears glasses with her hair tied back, the universal symbol of ugliness and undesirability.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Colton Haynes left Teen Wolf for a role on Arrow where like two thirds of his scenes ended up being cut.

Really? Where did you read this?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rhyno posted:

All throughout the Arrow thread over seasons two and three. He'd talk about an awesome scene they shot and it wouldn't be in the episode.

He seemed to think he got a raw deal because he was never elevated to regular status.

It's fair for him to feel that way, especially since the Arrow Junior Jackass squad is front and center this season.

Medullah posted:

Kal Penn left a starring role on House for a supporting gig on some reality political show

I liked that show, I wish they hadn't cancelled it and rebooted it with that guy from The Apprentice.

The only thing that could make me care about the CWDC franchise at this point is if they brought back Constantine.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

Adam Carolla strikes me as a real piece of poo poo so them two feuding is appropriate.

Who cares enough about Carolla these days to have a feud with him? Like, in the Loveline days maybe, but any time in the last decade?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

X-O posted:

Yes, because the best character, Tony Almeida, is back. Also Corey Hawkins is great and it has Jimmy Smits and Gerald McRaney. There's a lot to like in this new version.

I thought Tony became a bad guy and died? Or maybe died and came back as a bad guy? I dunno, my tolerance for 24 was depleted around season 5 or so.

X-O posted:

Or maybe just blame the dumb people that take 24 as if it were something real instead of the people writing a show for entertainment.

The problem is that some of those dumb people, at least at the time, were elected officials that were using 24 as justification for torture being effective.

Mu Zeta posted:

24 had really specific situations where torture worked. If Jack Bauer didn't do it or threaten to do it in some of the early seasons there really would have been a deadly virus outbreak or nuclear explosion in a city. My favorite torture was the one where they captured a terrorist and pretended to kill his wife and kids one by one until he broke.

Remember when they just gave a kid away to terrorists for no reason, never to be seen or heard from again? Or when Jack murdered his superior as part of some bad guy's demands? Good times.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 6, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

I want nothing to do with APB just because of that awful premise.

You mean you don't want all the corporatism of Robocop with none of the satire?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Just own the fact that you enjoy really bad tv, BSam
We all have our lovely TV vices

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

Its totally fair to hate the legacy of Lost fandom and all the toxic fandoms that have come out of it. I'm right there with you. I Xed the Good Place thread because I felt it getting the Lost treatment.

What a terrible decision!

muscles like this! posted:

Lol, Spike is changing its name to The Paramount Network. Reminder that before that it was Spike TV and before that it was The National Network and before that The Nashville Network.

Huh, I remember when my local UHF superstation got bought out by Paramount in the early '90s, and they started calling it that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Oh, he said the thread. I mean, I guess that's understandable, but the thread wasn't really that bad as far as theorycrafting goes? After the season ended it was mostly speculation surrounding the reveal in the last episode and what might happen next, which is kind of normal I would think, it's not as though there's any more show to talk about for the next 7-8 months.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Just posting to remind everyone that The Mick is loving incredible.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

precision posted:

I loved the Pilot and episode 2, but episode 3 was kind of "eh". I'll stick with it because I love Olsen.

Also, me when watching episode 3: "I liked this show better when it was called Grounded For Life".

Episode 3 is the weakest one IMO but episode 4 is by far the best.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MiddleOne posted:

I liked it but I predict that by the time the next season drops I'll already have forgotten all about it. There just wasn't any omph to it for lack of a better term.

Yeah, I liked it, but the last episode just kind of ended like a brick wall, there was no resolution whatsoever.

BJPaskoff posted:

I hated it and stopped after the second episode. What's with the acting? A man's reaction to finding his wife dead and covered in vomit shouldn't be to hold her and smile awkwardly up at the corner of the ceiling. Or at the end of the first episode, how he just smiles the same way and shrugs at what's going on. It's not just his acting, either.

I think the answer is "that's just Timothy Oliphant."

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 11, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Wasn't it like season 4 or thereabouts where a nuke went off in a suburb or something? It was the season with Behrooz, the kid with the terrorist parents who was given away to another group of terrorists in a trade for some reason.

edit: looking it up, I was conflating parts of season 4 and 6 in my memory.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 14, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

What is there to talk about? It's not like there's a plot or anything besides the small story of the snow leopard family. It's just going to be a couple pages of "X is really pretty" and "Yeah it looks amazing."

I guess republicans will hate the global warming message though.

There's the iguana vs. snake chase in the first episode which is one of the greatest things ever shown on television, but everyone has already seen that since there were memes and remixes online the next day.

IRQ posted:

There was. I mean it's only 3 episodes so I'm not sure it needs a thread even.

God dang those penguins were badasses.

It was only 3 episodes, really? I thought I was behind on it and turns out I saw it all.

less laughter posted:

they could've called it Mombie

That would have been a bit on the nose, since they make that joke in the show itself.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lycus posted:

I don't know how you figured that out without knowing anything about it. I didn't see the blood at first in the smaller title card, so I just noticed a man and woman carrying a cooler. When I read some of the episode titles, I thought it was about suburban serial killers or something.

Well, it's not not about that, technically...

STAC Goat posted:

The marketing I saw seemed to be purposefully satirical self help type ads that if you actually read or looked closely at revealed there was something up and hinted at zombies without being overt. I thought it was kind of clever.

For the most part I assume Netflix doesn't see a major need to overly explain its shows since if you're a subscriber you're eventually going to notice the show in the banners or menus.

When it came out, it was the "featured" thing that shows up as the default selection and shows a clip when Netflix starts up.

precision posted:

I thought Santa Clarita Diet was just a Netflix Original Family Sitcom because my eyes also glaze over anytime Netflix shoves shows at me.

This is true, Netflix shovels out so much poo poo these days that it's not a given that anything it's pushing hard is worth paying attention to.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 15, 2017

• Locked thread