Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone watched Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams? Apparently it's been out in UK for a while but I haven't heard anything about it until today. Pretty big fan of Dick so hopefully it doesn't suck.

I don't think it's actually done running in the UK yet. It's kinda... there, like the episodes are decent and well shot and technically proficient but I have no desire to rewatch them. They remind me of middle-of-the-road episodes of '90s Outer Limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I, too, can't think of a single reason why someone would be reluctant to speak out about abuse where Scientology is involved.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Chris James 2 posted:

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd my interest in American Gods is gone

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/936009358177169408

Someday I'm going to see Bryan Fuller tell a complete story :smith:

No you won't. This is his curse, and it is our curse too.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

So does Riverdale have magic and poo poo? I can't figure that show out at all from the trailers and commercials. Most of the time it just looks like the OC or something but it seems to actively market itself as something way weirder. Although maybe that's because almost everything else on CW has superheroes, ghosts, and zombies so they just try and make it look like it fits.

It's not really much beyond your standard CW angsty pretty teen drama, except the characters are named after and act vaguely like Archie characters.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

bring back old gbs posted:

You can read super gross poo poo about Danny Masterson and scientology covering up for his sexual assaults on CDAN. The stories go back years. At this point if you're a member of the church and he decides he wants your wife/daughter you have literally zero recourse and will be kicked out of the church (losing your entire social circle and gaining an army of harassers) if you make a peep about it. Sounds terrifying, but he's got that 70's show syndication money so he's royalty.

CDAN is all hollywood gossip poo poo, or it was, until all those Wienstein rumours got very real very quick.

Wasn't his brother the older brother in Malcolm in the Middle? Is he equally as much of a piece of poo poo?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ugly In The Morning posted:

And as far as Scientology goes, I feel bad for Beck. He's the rare second-generation scientologist, I really can't blame him for being wrapped up in some of that poo poo.

Beck doesn't really rep scientology or anything though, does he? I thought he was only a scientologist so far as he was born into it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

I saw that stuff where John Oliver was taking Dustin Hoffman to task about harassment claims against him. It made for interesting viewing. However, why do I still think John Oliver is an insufferable prat even when he's in the right? :shrug:

I'm curious as to what people who post this would like to see different to make them happy.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Davros1 posted:

They moved to San Francisco after Chief and Julie transferred there, Lassie took over as Captain, and Shawn finally proposed to Jules.

And Gus resigned from his sales job. Then unresigned. Then resigned. And unresigned. And resigned, finally. (all in the space of 5 minutes)

Also, in real life, Timothy Olmundson had a stroke, so that's going to limit his screen time

They also established that Monk and Psych are in the same continuity in the final episode.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

Is there a thread for the various TV streaming apps such as PSVue and the like? I could have sworn there was one but I just can't find it.

I think there WAS at one point, but probably not anymore.

FWIW I've tried PSVue and Sling and didn't feel that either of them were worth it, especially after PSVue lost all the Viacom stations and jacked up their prices.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

X-O posted:

Wings is still in heavy rerun rotation around the country. So it definitely lives on.

Really? Because when I think Wings, I think "show that used to air reruns on USA all the time like 15-20 years ago, back before they moved to a strict regimen of SVU and NCIS."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rhyno posted:

I have a very deep seated hatred of Debra Messing that I can not explain.

Here I was starting to think, maybe Rhyno isn't that insane after all, and welp.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The channel I watch in the morning before work has had a different lovely Lifetime / Hallmark Christmas movie every day this month. These movies could easily be mistaken for one another, they mostly don't even have different sets or actors for the most part. There's also a series about a dog who "saves" various holidays, or sometimes the same one over and over - in three different movies the dog saves "Christmas", "Christmas Vacation", and "The Holidays." (In non-Christmas contexts, that same dog has saved Easter, Halloween, and the entire season of Summer.)
I wouldn't be surprised if they rent out a ski resort or something in some lovely small Vermont town for a couple of months and bang out like 30 movies, sometimes they'll bring in Dean Cain when his boss at craft services lets him have a couple days off.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 12, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

oh, you thought this was a game?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

Now that one surprises me. Spurlock was so up his own rear end about what a good little liberal he was he was breathing his own farts 24/7.

But you never do know when it comes to who's a sex monster.

I had no idea Spurlock had even done anything new in like several years, I didn't know he was significant enough for anyone to get this upset about him.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I don't think I saw it mentioned, but seems that one of the hosts of lovely GBBO facsimile "The Great American Baking Show" has joined the ranks of the Disgraced Sex Predators of 2017, so the show has been cancelled and all knowledge of it disavowed by ABC.

It's just as well, I saw the first episode last week and it was unwatchable poo poo. I'll hold out for the Christmas special of the real show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

nate fisher posted:

I use to be a big fan of Roseanne, but she is completely unhinged as a right wing fanatic now. So gently caress her and I hope her show bombs.

Yeah, I read some poo poo about her tweeting that trump was "a hannukah miracle" and thanking him on behalf of "The Jews"

I thought for sure it had to be sarcasm but then I learned that it was not :(

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

That Harmon video just made me feel like he's Kevin Smith For People Who Consider Themselves Smart.

that... actually sums harmon up really, really well

Timby posted:

Harmon being an insufferable, self-righteous tool is pretty well-known at this point, considering it got him fired from Community and it's caused some issues with Rick & Morty's production (to say nothing of how the staff on the latter show were abused). I still don't think he's realized that Rick Sanchez is a pretty direct parody of him.

my favorite Harmon Got Fired story is when he worked on the Sarah Silverman Program and staged a "they go or I go" ultimatum

against Sarah Silverman

Cithen posted:

oh, god... 'A Christmas Story: Live' is an abomination. Who thought this was a good idea?

Probably the same people who thing that making a musical adaptation of every halfway popular IP is a good idea

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 18, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

I saw multiple ads for it that never mentioned the musical part.

I didn't know it was a thing that existed until I saw it posted here, and I knew it was a musical because of course it loving is.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

try the new taco place posted:

Really disappointed by the new English announcers on season 2 of Ultimate Beastmaster

You should just be disappointed by the show in general, because it's terrible poo poo.

IRQ posted:

He just did what must have been a bit from his standup routine about how being a father is waaaaaay harder than being a mother because you have to play with your kid after work.

It was absolutely dire.

Like on a scale from 0 to Martin Lawrence, where would you rank it

Josh Lyman posted:

Based on the interview, The Rock, as a producer on the movie, decided to give his character a smolder. If it's ineffective in the movie, then okay, the joke works. But in the interview, it was brought up as something actually sexy and that's all we have to go on.

He also had trouble taking a lot of Kevin Hart's jokes. I wonder if the atrocious performance of Baywatch had made him defensive.

this is some weird hate boner you've got going on for The "Dwayne Johnson" Rock, but this is neither his first movie with Kevin Hart nor is Baywatch the first bomb he's been in by far so... probably not?

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 20, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

Two is real bad, but keep going and you won't regret it.

2F2F is worth it for EJECTO SEATO
I thought Tokyo Drift was the worst one myself, although I enjoy the idea of the time travel shenanigans required to make it plausible to be the 6th movie chronologically.

The series as a whole gets a lot better once it stops trying to take itself seriously and realizes "these are action movies where we have cars instead of stuntmen." Which is strange that it took so long considering the first movie is Point Break But Cars Instead of Surfboards.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 22, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

nate fisher posted:

Trash opinions.

dsyp

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

John Wick 1 and 2 are among the best action movies of the 21st Century, alongside The Raid 1 and 2 and Mad Max: Fury Road. That's probably my top five. I can't think of anything else that even comes close to those, quality-wise.

The Raid 1 is amazing. Raid 2... ehhhhhhhhhhh.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 22, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

nate fisher posted:

Raid 2, while it is slower at times, has better action scenes overall. If I had to pick a favorite I would go with Raid 2.

Raid 2 is way longer than it needs to be because those action scenes are in between long, boring stretches of gobbledygook plot.

nate fisher posted:

Just curious which one do you find a better 'gun play' move, John Wick or Equilibrium?

My answer is "amused laughter"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Snak posted:

Food call. Way better than John Wick 2. Which was bad.

Yeah, John Wick 2 wasn't great, mainly because they took the hidden underground assassin world, a concept that is neat but doesn't really hold up if you think about it too much, and expanded on it to the absurd degree that pretty much every resident of New York City is an assassin but they're apparently all trying to keep it secret from one another.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Regy Rusty posted:

The world building is cool

I thought it was cool in the first movie, and I think it could have continued to be cool if they didn't go completely off the rails with it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

🔥hot take:🔥
Seinfeld would be a 100% better show without Seinfeld in it

Davros1 posted:

The difference between Sunny and Friends, is while both group are awful people, is that Sunny doesn't want us to root for them, to see them succeed. The Friends group are awful people, but we're still supposed to admire and support them.

And then HIMYM takes this concept to a whole new loving level.

raditts fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 28, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

bring back old gbs posted:

It's really weird it exists, but enough people watch laugh track shows on Netflix, so it tripped their RatingsBot algorithm, so one of their ProducerBots greenlit the series.

Hell I bet all those algorithm-created Elsa Spiderman Fights Infinity War Frozen on Youtube videos are just Netflix bots learning how to create their own content from thin air without crapping up their own network. It'll eventually learn to homogenize a hundred sitcom scripts into one scientifically funny 22 minute block of television and only at that point will a human have a hand in the content creation process when they stare dead eyed into a lens to read the lines.

The machine-generated Scrubs script could plausibly pass for an episode of Scrubs.

Calaveron posted:

Man I’m still fuming over the single episode of the ranch I watched. I mean there’s a scene where Sam Elliot and a lady were having HEE-larious dialogue while Danny Masterson and Ashton Kutcher are just frittering away on their cellphones to the side and all I’m thinking is I am 100% sure they’re for real looking stuff up on their phones because what self respecting actor can possibly expend any effort on this garbage

Well, people finally realized at some point that neither of them are very good actors, so they've gotta take what they can get.

Sam Elliot is in it though? I guess my theory that he can elevate the worst poo poo to at least the level of "watchable" has finally been shattered.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Nothing can properly convey my disappointment.

That matches my sentiment when I watched the first three seasons after years of people talking about how "deep" it is.

swickles posted:

I haven't seen any of Black Mirror, but from what I understand its like a modern Twilight Zone? There isn't any serialization right, so I can just dive in with the new season?

If you watched Twilight Zone and thought to yourself "man this is way too subtle" then Black MIrror is the show for you

• Locked thread