Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm a bit of a new age fuddy duddy when it comes to streaming/phsyical media. I've purged myself of most of my physical stuff, but I'm still a stickler for having a local copy of my media. I can't stand the thought of watching a show and not have it sitting there in Plex as a bit of a memorial in case I ever want to watch it again (which in all reality, I won't). That on top of thought that a streaming service could just stop showing a show/movie makes me uncomfortable.

I'm now on the verge of getting some decent internet in which I'll be able to watch a 720p video (or better!) without having to stop and pause so I'm now weighing up my options for Netflix etc. But now I find myself in another lovely situation. I'm going to be paying more for this internet, and it's going to have a 200GB data cap. This has opened up the possibility of paying for Amazon, Netflix, WWE network, UFC Fightpass, NFL Gamepass, the NHL equivilant, Hulu, Spotify etc which are all things I consume (steal) content from currently.

In summary, I'm going from paying very little for an unlimited but slow as gently caress internet connection and getting all my content for the cost of a VPN service (albeit delayed) to paying more for a capped data connection which now opens up the door for an opportunity to spend about 100 bucks more per month for the legitimate streaming options. I'm so confused!

Use Kodi. You can bypass all that malarky and have access to everything, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

-Blackadder- posted:

Ahaha, you're assuming a guy named Blackadder hasn't already seen a show with Hugh Laurie?!

Well in this case you're right. I haven't seen Chance yet so thanks for the recommendation. One question though, is it deeper than "House but with Psychology"?

Thanks, hmm, haven't seen any of these save Black Sails. Incorporated looks like my kind of show, how good is it? The only SyFy produced show I've liked in recent memory was The Expanse, most SyFy productions come off as too hamy for my tastes.

Incorporated is a good show.

Sy-Fy is going through a renaissance.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's not, it's a media server.

You can access legal or illegal content through it, depending on your level of caring about rules.

But installed as a bog stock download, it's just like Plex.

being open source... people makes crazy plugins.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 24, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

-Blackadder- posted:

Just watched the trailer, seems like they were going for Gattaca: The Series, looks interesting, I'll check it out.

On that note, how are Channel Zero, Hunters, The Magicians, and Dark Matter?

Haven't seen either the first two, i like Magicians, but it's got book baggage people can't let go.
Dark Matter has Roger Cross. Doesn't need much more.
Killjoy's is also good. In a "we don't have the Expanse budget" kinda way.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gonz posted:

SD still exists in 2017 AD?

pretty much what 1080p looks like on a 4k 50 inch tv

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tell that to my monitor and TV.

Or build me one.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

We had a 200gb data cap for like 3 months before the shitstorm of public response made them raise it to 1000gb (which, this month, we've used half of, and that includes downloading a lot of large PS4 games).

Which areas still have a 200gb cap? That would indeed be awful.

Australia does, for sure and it's slow as gently caress.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I easy do 200 gig a month.

5 pc's, ps4 , Netflix, Kodi, Youtube. It adds up.

Only recently stopped downloading tv.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Looten Plunder posted:

This.

I can't even get ADSL2+ in my area despite living 25km from the CBD of the second biggest city in the country. Wireless is my only option, hence the 200GB cap. There are 50/12 and 12/5 plans which both poo poo on my current 1.5/.5 speed. I'll go the slower of the two so I can pay for a bigger cap.

How much data does an hour of 1080p video on something like Netflix use up?

bout 3 gig an hour.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The British version is way better anyway.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

BSam posted:

New thread title?

Ha! It happens to be true. Plus Spain is gorgeous.

John Simm and Marc Warren are very good in it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

I almost quit at the "LeBong James" joke but I'm glad I stuck with it.

Why, mine's called Kareem Abdul Jabong

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tortolia posted:

It was renewed not just for season 5 but a final season 6 too, so they can close the story out the way they want.

FX has been a champ sticking with The Americans despite it never having the ratings or awards recognition it deserves. Season 4 was fantastic.

I'm told, apparently Amerikee doesn't like Russians.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Squirrel Girl is one show the Internet would tear a sunder. Every step of the way, it'd be unbearable.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DivisionPost posted:

It's Time For Taylor Swift To Weigh In On The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

She'd be all over that like rash.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Frontier is really good.

It's impossible to feel macho when watching Jason Momoa do anything. If that guy was born 200 years ago, he'd be in history books.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 29, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i literally just found that, he's such a likable guy. He makes axes...wolves, Lisa Bonnet. Hit the genetic lottery, big time.

Someone cut his face open and just him look tougher.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Like Elementary. the whole first season was just good tv, the end was amazing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I like how he calls his little boy Lobo, because he's a total savage.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHSqngVhh7c/?taken-by=prideofgypsies

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Check out Agents of Shield, you'll love it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Leah Remini's show about Scientology is reallllllly good.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollismason posted:

Okay I like Santa Clara for the simple fact of Drew Barrymore saying Episode 2 I did eat one of his balls

Drew Barrymore on TV?

Catch you fools later.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah man, Santa Clarita is brilliant.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grem posted:

I don't know if I'd say it's brilliant but like someone said above the fact that the family is pretty supportive of each other and acknowledge the ridiculousness of their situation is refreshing.

e: I should note that I'm taking off points because the Waitress is pretty bad but I knew she would be.

I don't rate on a point system, i find it to be unfair use of my brain.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollismason posted:

I'd say Santa Clarita Diet get's real drat good at about ep 3. It's really great.

Tim Olyphant is a very funny guy. They really have chemistry.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The daughter is really funny, her delivery is spot on.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cart posted:

Timothy Olyphant is fantastic when he works in a certain range - seething (Deadwood), charming (The Grinder, Conan), seething and charming (Justified, Go).

That makes no sense. That range between furious and charming nice guy is like 97% of a personality

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well jokes on you Jen. Ben's still a teenage gently caress up!

Nooch!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

At least he's not Joe Rogan.

What's wrong with Joe Rogan?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

Joe Rogan is a crazy person who believes in a ton of different conspiracies.

I've been watching Joe Rogan for years. He's not that crazy guy anymore. Eddie Bravo stole his crazy and ran away with it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Weed and coffee.

He very personable, he does a lot of research. Anyone that's BFF's with Bryan Callen and Joey Diaz is fine by me.
His UFC stuff goes over my head but i like watching people wail on each other, so i let it slide.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They have been friends for 17 years, he doesn't call people out for what they believe in. Even the crazy ones.

Pretty sure he(Joe) even mentioned in that interview, he climbed out of the rabbit hole he fell in.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not hating Shut Eye. Emmanulle Chriqui playing a lesbian hypnotist doesn't suck either.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Same deal with the daughter from The Mick. she's like 29 years old

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
She looks younger now than she did in Gossip Girl.

http://www.etonline.com/tv/161990_finding_carter_and_skins_star_kathryn_prescott_doesn_t_want_to_play_a_teenager_forever/

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Keep us up to date on the nick names.

NotCurtis and President Dad were my favs,

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Have they cut the trunk line this season? Because it's coming

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Samurai Jack is 100% my most anticipated show of 2017.

Second episode of 24 Legacy was so blah I could barely pay attention. Meanwhile 10 minutes into the APB show and it's far more compelling with an incredibly likable lead. The tech seems to have been borrowed wholesale from the Robocop remake but it's nothing I can't look past. Of course since I like this it will get a single short season and not get picked up in 2018.

Is it like future CSI and science cops?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it started strong, but i forgot to keep watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also see Captain Vane try and suck his own dick.

• Locked thread