Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I swear to god they actually let one "gently caress" slip through, as well. Dunno if that was a mistake or if they're allotted a certain number per season or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm not tittering at the naughty words, I'm pointing out and wondering at the inconsistency and arbitrary nature of censorship in general. Why is oval office more acceptable than gently caress? Why are some fucks okay but others aren't? It's weird and dumb, and networks don't even seem to stay consistent with themselves in enforcing it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I started watching Teen Wolf. What a silly show.

It's good fun up until season 4, then it tanks hard and never recovers. If you're enjoying it, watch through season 3b (yeah, they do split-seasons sometimes, I think it's a tax thing).

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The first season of PoI is a bit too focused on Reese and Finch, to it's detriment. Jim Caveziel, bless his ridiculously tall heart, is not the best actor or the most charismatic screen presence. Season 2 has more of a team dynamic, opening up the Reese and Finch show to other players and allowing them more people to bounce off of, and it does wonders for their likability.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I've never thought of PoI as this absurdly high concept work of unappreciated genius. Not saying it's not smart, but for me, the draw was always the fun characters, well above-average action sequences, and cool twist on the usual depiction of AI. It's a really fun series once it gets going. It's weird to go back to season 1 and see how dire and serious it was because the later seasons have some legitimately great comedy in them.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

I didn't know it was possible for a person to be this wrong. Every time I look at this post, I see a new level of wrong. It's like a fractal of wrongness.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
There's still a thread. Apparently it's made a bit of a rebound recently, but nothing short of a full cast turnover could make me care about that show again.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Iron Fist is almost certainly going to be terrible, but I'd be willing to watch it if it weren't for one seemingly minor detail; the stupid-looking chest tattoo. I just can't get past it. It looks so bad.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

I got bored with Person of Interest towards the end of season 1 because it was getting pretty formulaic, is it worth picking up again?

Season 2 adds a dog and several of the show's best characters, fulfills several plot lines started in the first season in surprisingly awesome ways, expands the dynamic of the central group, and is generally a lot funnier and better than season 1.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Rarity posted:

Oh man, the ending to the penultimate episode of Lemony Snicket is both miserable and inconvenient.

You might even call it... unfortunate.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Pettiness, I can get behind, much more so than self-fellation. Pettiness at least has you sucking someone else's dick, even if it's just to piss off your ex.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I know this was a while ago, but I just wanted to post my understanding of what happened RE: Coltonchat.

The way I understand it is: Colton was gonna be a regular on Teen Wolf in Season 3. They had a storyline written out for him and everything. But then he got a gig on Arrow, and-- roughly three weeks before they were scheduled to start filming-- decided to opt out of his contract, necessitating a lot of rewrites and a very hasty throwaway explanation for his character's absence. There are multiple rumored reasons for this, one of which is that MTV pretty much pays its actors in peanuts. This would explain why the show would proceed to lose several other major characters to their actors defecting to the CW or other networks over the next few years.

So Colton's on Arrow now and seems to be having a great time. His season 1 storyline is... you know, it's alright. Nothing super special, but it's serviceable. His Season 2 storyline is a bit better, putting him at the forefront of a super-serum plot and briefly turning him into a super-strong lunatic, which was kind of awesome. But there were already signs of trouble. The show couldn't decide what to do with him outside of him constantly getting his rear end kicked by everyone. Seriously, he got his rear end kicked all the time; by the good guys and the bad guys. Dude was a super-jobber. And then, to add insult to injury, they actually started cutting his fight scenes for time, since they all ended the same way; with him losing and thus having little-to-no effect on the plot. Roy was basically 'you tried' the character.

In Season 3, things got even worse, culminating in a moment I will never forget simply because of how egregious it was: the Atom in the DCTV Universe is basically Budget Iron Man mixed with Budget Ant Man. He's normally a hero, but this point, he was on Team Arrow's bad side, so Oliver and Roy wind up going after him. Roy fights him first and, of course, get his rear end kicked. Not only does he get his rear end kicked-- he gets electrocuted and left twitching in a puddle, forcing Oliver to kick the Atom's rear end alone. After Oliver successfully disables the Atom's suit, thus proving himself the Superior Hero, he gives a speech of some kind and then walks off in slow motion while the music swells in the background. Great, right? Except, you know, for Roy, who we last saw having spasms and shooting sparks out of every orifice. Oliver doesn't go to help him up, or check on him, he doesn't even glance at him. Neither does the camera. It just focuses on Oliver doing a hero walk (away from where Roy would be) and then cuts to the next scene. The showrunners later admitted they literally forgot that Roy was there.

A couple of episodes later, Roy gets written out of the show. It's about a year after that when Colton comes out as gay, and according to him, he left the show for mental health reasons, wanting to avoid the pressure of being in the spotlight all the time. But come on. After all that poo poo, would you want to stick around?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Dead Snoopy posted:

Colton Hayes were in a lot of Arrow scenes which were cut for time or outright deleted and you know what, the show didn't suffer for it despite this

It suffered for many, many other reasons.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

I feel like this is a perfect summation of the show.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Roughly 15 minutes into Riverdale episode 1 and it's... interesting. The show definitely has a pretty distinct visual language, with colors that are just a little too vibrant to be real gelling well with characters who are just slightly larger than life. The twangy guitar soundtrack, the high school setting, and the fact that the show literally begins with a death and a teacher-student affair makes me think of some demented bizarro-world Friday Night Lights.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
On episode 2 now, and Riverdale is weirdly delightful. Can't really explain why. The image of the waterlogged corpse with a giant bullet hole in his forehead and horrified death-snarl is just so over-the-top morbid when contrasted with all the 'sex-having teenagers and their crazy antics' that we got for most of the previous episode that I can't help but laugh at the contrast.

I've been trying to come up with what it reminds me of, and I think I've hit it: it's like one of those perfectly ordinary dime-a-dozen high school shows that goes on way too long, that incorporates a murder mystery as, like, a 5th season ratings stunt.

Only they're skipping the previous five seasons.

It's just so delightfully absurd. "What's this show about?" "Young love! The trials and tribulations of being a teenager! The expectations of family! Dreams and hopes for the future! Oh, and GRISLY MURDER."

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Shageletic posted:

So the second season of FNL then

Pretty much, except it... works? Season 2 of FNL fell flat because it was a complete betrayal of everything that came before. Riverdale is full-on murdercrazy from the get-go. I just watched a scene where the main girl's mom bribes a creepy coroner for details and a close look at the dead guy's body. Not for any particular reason besides the fact that she loving hated that kid, because he dated her other daughter and it ended badly. She literally walked out of the shadows while the creepy coroner was giving his report and handed him an envelope full of cash so she could gloat at a dead kid's corpse.

This show is amazing.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Riverdale is just so many different shows in one. You've got Jughead's Junior Murder Investigation, you've got the Betty and Veronica Sisterhood Power Hour, you've Archie and the No-No-Badtouch Teacher Affair, and you've got Whatever The Hell The Adults Are Doing and it's all just so gloriously melodramatic and crazy. There is so much TENSION and EMOTION that I honestly feel like at any given moment, any one of these characters could snap and commit another murder onscreen right in front me. I have no idea what's going to happen moment-to-moment and I kind of love it.

I have no idea where the CW as a network intends to go after this, because this is it. This is Peak CW. This is The Most CW that any show has ever been. It is the entire essence of the network distilled into 44 minutes of oversaturated twenty-something 'teenage' crazy every week. Before I watched, I wondered how a show like this could come into being. Now, I realize that the show was an inevitability, that the entire history of the CW has been building towards this moment, and I don't know if I am blessed or cursed to witness it, but I'll be damned if I'm not enjoying the hell out of finding out. :allears:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

Calm down you giddy fucker. This is classic CW fan load blowing. We've all been there. What your experiencing is a lie built on lies.

Please, I know how these things go. This ain't my first rodeo, I'm just enjoying the craziness for what it is. Shows like this weren't meant to last; they either have to back off the crazy and get boring, or they go all-in and the plot twists itself into a pretzel and collapses. Either way, I want to see where it winds up. :munch:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Has Netflix become the Wii of tv, producing 20 shovelware titles for every decent one?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

blunt posted:

So Donald Glover is playing Simba in a live action Lion King remake. This better not mean even more delays before season 2 of Atlanta (which is already delayed while he does Star Wars) :/

Is it really live-action if every single character and backdrop is likely to be CG?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

DoggPickle posted:

S.H.I.E.L.D. suffers the same as Arrow. People's decisions just don't make any sense unless you're the writers who just shove them into a plot slot. And they're already fighting the entire idea that this super-secret important government agency is dumb as poo poo and filled with morons.

:what:

The main thing I enjoy about SHIELD in comparison with other superhero shows is that its characters act like rational human beings instead of drama magnets or plot enablers, so I have absolutely no idea where this complaint could be coming from, especially in relation to the loving Flash, where literally the only reason anything happens is because Barry or someone around him is being an idiot. What, specifically, doesn't make sense to you?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

DoggPickle posted:

my memory of the show is less than perfect because its something that I watch because I want to know the bigger story, and I'm a sucker for anything sci-fi. But in the long-run, there are supposedly about 3 dudes watching out for the entirety of humankind, and one is Colson, one is this kick-rear end Asian chick with SEVERE interpersonal problems and then there's Fitzsimmons and their desperate love triangle.

It is seriously like watching Torchwood again and attempting to believe that these gently caress-ups are in charge of the most important stuff in the world? They've been violated, hacked, RUINED like how many times now? Go HEROS! They're like the student nerd club at highschool was just given all the best toys and told to rule the world. It's STUPID.

Given all of that, just say you take that for granted and don't get kicked right out of common-sense, then they consistently make really dumb and uninteresting decisions week-to-week, and just for the sake of manufactured drama. Does anyone really care about YoYo and Mack? No, because they already ruined it with some "not around all the time whiney BS".

I'm just feeling negative today. Sorry.

Well, for starters, shows tend to make more sense if you actually pay attention while watching them. I know it's a lot to ask, but I promise you, it helps.

Secondly, the entire point of the show is that they are very explicitly NOT the only people protecting the world. There are, in fact, lots of people protecting the world from all sorts of threats. SHIELD handles a certain subset of threats, and they generally do a decent job. They can't do a perfect job, because otherwise there wouldn't be a show. The world needs to be in danger from something, and that something needs to occasionally get close enough to threaten the organization itself. I'm not sure what you want them to do.

Thirdly... you know it's okay to just say you don't like something, right? It's fine. It's actually better than saying something like "It doesn't make sense" because "I don't like this" can't be argued with. First you said they make decisions that don't make sense, but you didn't actually cite any nonsense, and now you're complaining that they make decisions that are dumb and boring and pure manufactured drama, which is a totally different complaint. Just say "I don't like it" and move on. Maybe even stop watching? Just a thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Yes, Daisy is literally the main character of the show and half of the show arcs have come directly out of her own character development. But honestly, our views of the show are so wildly different I wouldn't know how to engage your take.

It sounds to me like they just have fundamental problems accepting the premise of the show. Which, you know, is fine, but I don't know why they keep watching expecting to glean enjoyment from it if they don't like the show, the premise, or any of the characters. :shrug:

• Locked thread