Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That Westworld sum seems way too low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Snak posted:

Well "main cast" is kind of vague. I've no doubt Anthony Hopkins got more than that. Ed Harris and Thandie Newton probably did as well. Probably James Marsden too. But for everyone else? That number doesn't really seem low.

Rachel Evan Wood's the first billed cast member, so she probably should be making the most after Harris and Hopkins. Also, she, Thandie Newton, Jeffrey Wright and James Marsden are billed in a special part of the credits before the rest of the cast, who are then listed alphabetically. Presumably this table's only talking about the third tier cast members?

That, or maybe it works out to be a per episode sum when you include the extensive reshoots the show apparently experienced thanks to the various delays and recastings?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pan Dulce posted:

Because TVIV voted Better Call Saul so highly, I just wanted to ask if it's really necessary to watch Breaking Bad to know what the gently caress is happening on it? There's just so much to catch up on...

You don't need to, but quite a few of the show's plot lines will feel inexplicable if you don't.

Edit: In the sense that you'll be wondering why they exist, or why the show's spending so much time on seemingly random side characters who never interact with the lead, rather than it being impossible to follow.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Taboo starts next Tuesday. I can't wait to see Tom Hardy incomprehensibly mumble on TV.

That and The Young Pope are the two new shows I'm looking forward to the most (January division).

But there's a lot of really cool poo poo coming down the pipeline this year.

* Godless (Soderbergh's new Netflix Western)
* Legion (Dan Stevens and Noah Hawley -- the guy who writes Fargo)
* The Santa Clarita Diet (Weeds + Zombies??? No-one actually knows. Also Timothy Olyphant)
* The Terror (Ridley Scott, Tobias Menzies)
* A Top Of The Lake sequel
* GLOW (Alison Brie, Jenji Kohan)
* Mindhunter (David Fincher, Anna Torv)
* Altered Carbon (Joel Kinnaman)
* The Tick and I Heart Dick are going to be Amazon series this year
* American Gods
* Counterpart (STARZ parallel universe show with a crazy loving cast -- JK Simmons, Harry Lloyd, Olivia Williams, Ulrich Thomson)
* Warrior (martial arts show from the Banshee guys)

Plus pilots with potential pick ups on:

* Roadside Picnic (Mathew Goode)
* The Book Of Strange New Things (Amazon)
* Happy! (Grant Morrison, Chris Meloni)

Plus there's the second half of Vice Principals, the final season of The Leftovers, planned adaptations of Cat's Cradle and Metropolis, new Mr. Robot, Orange Is The New Black, more Preacher, Better Call Saul and American Crime.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I loved both seasons, but thought that the first season finale wasn't so hot. The second one is a lot better.

Unlike a lot of goons, I wasn't that into Westworld -- I found the characterization frustrating and threadbare, and didn't find it easy to invest in any of the characters. Humans was pretty much the opposite of that -- it's really all about its characters and playing its dramas on small, interpersonal levels -- and it also goes about a lot of the same sort of thematic work as Westworld in the opposite way (even if it ultimately reaches similar conclusions).

So if you're one of those people who also thought that Westworld was a bit of a trashy light show, or are looking for a different take on similar ideas, I'd recommend it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
CW just announced renewals on a bunch of shows -- Arrow, Supergirl, The Flash and Legends Of Tomorrow, (so all their superhero shows, natch), Jane The Virgin, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (wha-whaaat!) and, uh, Supernatural.

Do goons still watch that show?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's reportedly the most bingewatched show on Netflix in four states, including California and New York.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
My favourite stupid thing about Travelers is the way they have the police officer character stumble onto Marcie and even try to investigate her as having something to do with his wife, simply by asking around about "personality changes". That was really pushing it, honestly.

It doesn't even go anywhere! It just happens, and is then forgotten about.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Not a huge fan of the back half of season 2, other than the amazing finale, and I found a central guest performance by Richard Armitage (occasionally) unintentionally hilarious in the third season, but otherwise I thought it was loving great.

The show ends well, so there's nothing to worry about there. And there's a fourth season planned as soon as Amazon loses their exclusive rights to produce the show (so around August this year, apparently).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

I thought that the show died because Fuller wanted to move on to American Gods and declined to offer to start production on four? Either way, it feels like it ended at a good spot so I'm not too broken up about it being dead.

Actually, I think you may be right.

Fuller's also sitting on an adaptation for Amazing Stories, though I'm honestly not sure that's coming anymore. He's no JJ Abrams, that's for sure.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Can't wait for that (Handmaid's Tale). Looks like it's gonna be somethin special. Moss has the best taste in roles I swear

She's also coming back for another season of Top of the Lake this year.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Medullah posted:

Yeah both are Hulu. I think Chance is superior, and a better contained one season story. I don't know if it's meant to be a multiple season story.

Shut Eye is good but definitely feels more of a setup for further seasons.

From what I understand, Shut Eye was commissioned for two seasons, with the option to drop it after one. It's similar to what HBO does with all their shows (hence why they're often able to renew them so early in their runs, and the habit they've formed recently of renewing a show only to cancel that renewal later). I imagine all Hulu shows are the same, along with most other major cable / streaming services. It's something Starz definitely does.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I like Lost, but the final season is damaged by some terrible choices. The flash "sideways" (which, in retrospect, is inaccurate, they're still just flashforwards) are kinda irrelevant and end up resembling a Christians Couple Weekend advertisement, in an utterly baffling choice. The show wraps up a number of character arcs in really terrible ways (Sun, Jin, Widmore) and the final confrontation feels pokey and small.

But, yes, I still like the show -- despite its love of being cryptic over being concrete, despite its tendency to poorly characterize its tertiary characters, and despite some really melodramatic scoring -- because it's fun. It's shallow as gently caress some times, but it's fun.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Travelers renewed, The OA renewed.

I'm happy about both of these things, tbh.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

AVClub comments are usually fine, aside from the same fucker who, for every episode of THE EXPANSE, would start a big thread for people who have read the books. Discuss the loving show.

Isn't that kind of smart, though? Discus didn't have spoiler tags last year, so the best way to stop random book spoilers from floating around everywhere is just to create a dedicated thread for them, which the other posters can easily collapse.

Yeah, it'd be great if readers would just plain not let their foreknowledge infect conversation -- god knows I've been spoiled here because people don't get how spoiler tags work, if they bother to use them at all -- but that's just not going to happen. Their way at least contains the information, theoretically at least.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

They have tags now, but invariably it still spills over into other comments. And I still don't really get the point of the same 5 people having a book discussion every week.

Also weirdly disqus is only collapsible on my phone.

Nah, but it's super important that everyone else in the comments gets to hear about how the show is skipping Jojen and Meera Reed, when are they going to introduce them OMG are they cutting them from the adaptation they're really important characters who have a lot to contribute!

Especially when most of the rest of the comment section haven't read the books, don't know what those posters are talking about, and potentially don't really care about overly anxious fidelity criticism -- particularly when there are unmarked spoilers all over the place.

(Someone managed to spoil three character deaths in three different currently airing shows, all in the same post. One of them wasn't even a book adaptation!)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He's not actually the showrunner though -- that's Shaun Cassidy, of Invasion and American Gothic.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of interesting how this season of Man Seeking Woman has just mostly focused on Lucy stuff. Makes me wonder if we're actually going to get a Woman Seeking Man episode this year since its already been that.

The focus would be on the sister, I'd imagine?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chop Sunni posted:

Which episode of Agents of Shield was the showdown on the alien planet where Ward is possessed? I can't remember if it was a season or mid-season finale and want to pick it back up.

Yeah, you're thinking of Maveth; Season 3 Episode 10.

Honestly feels like a lifetime ago at this point. This show crams so much stuff into its running time and arcs, it's loving crazy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Homeland's good. I liked the early seasons of Weeds and Nurse Jackie. Dead Like Me could have been amazing.

Web Therapy was loving hilarious -- though technically they only funded the later seasons.

I thought The United States Of Tara was great.

They're reviving Twin Peaks.

They're not all bad -- though they're not up-and-coming like STARZ or F/X.

Additionally, in nearly every case above, there's some sort of famous behind the scenes mishaps instigated by the execs -- like when they forced Bryan Fuller off Dead Like Me, or nearly did the same to David Lynch on the new Twin Peaks.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Season Five's pretty good, but mostly because Minnie's a really great character.

Season Six completely goes to poo poo though, and the show suddenly throws a whole bunch of characterisation out the window and rewrites character histories. It's really bizarre.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This week's Inside No. 9 was loving excellent.

For goons out there who've never seen the show before, every episode is completely standalone, so you can just dip in without having watched anything else. They're all different comedy / horror stories -- though they experiment with different kinds of comedy and horror -- written by two of the League of Gentlemen guys (Reece Shearsmith and Pemberton, not Mark Gattiss), who also act in most episodes. The only other thing they share in common is being fairly set bound and claustrophobic. Which doesn't mean that they're not often wildly experimental, like the suicide hotline episode from Series 2, or the silent movie episode in Series 1.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Metropolis posted:

They should have cast Iron Fist as an Asian guy, because nobody would have gotten mad at all about anything if the only Asian male protagonist in the entire MCU was a mystical kung-fu master

To be fair, if they'd cast, say, a Hispanic dude, I think it would have avoided a lot of the critical problems people seem to be having.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think part of the reason behind the delay is that Esmail's trying to get his version of Metropolis off the ground.

MiddleOne posted:

Is there loving any shows which don't exceed 12 months in-between season's at this point? This is getting ridiculous.

Better than Europe -- they average two years between seasons, sometimes three. (Deutschland 83!)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

I feel like you're conflating Sherlock with literally thousands of European shows.

And also Britain with Europe in large -- European shows tend to have longer gaps, but British ones are usually a bit more reliable. So, something like Fortitude, Spiral, Les Revanants or Spotless, as opposed to Being Human, In The Flesh, No Offence, ect.

Sherlock was also an odd case -- thanks to the availability of the lead actors. People also talk about each season only being three episodes long, but every episode is a double length episode, so it's actually about as long as most British shows usually are.

(Or used to be, anyway. British television seasons are slowly becoming a bit longer, thanks largely to the sea change brought about thanks to Doctor Who and the influence of American television generally. Not that there haven't been longer seasons before, but they've become more common, if not the point of ubiquity. Nowadays, I've noticed far more eight and even ten episode seasons than there used to be.)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 11, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
For, like, three episodes though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hap and Leonard back for Season 2.

~woo~

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arist posted:

American Crime Story is so good and if you wanna be bummed then I must inform you that the non-Ryan Murphy showrunners aren't returning for the next season.

I think it's utterly insane how much FX are investing in Murphy. They've cast the following two seasons of American Crime Story already, both to air next year, with a fourth already planned. There's also Feud, currently airing, the upcoming "election themed" season of American Horror Story, and his new 80's-set glitterazi thing they just announced.

He's not a good writer, he's shocking (in both senses) and capable of some deeply sentimental tracts. So, yeah, he can make you cry, or provide enough salaciousness early on to suggest the show's he'll produce will be good, but after that his creative toolbox is empty. Unless you want a story about pregnancy and blended families, with a dash of Down's Syndrome -- AKA, the first season of pretty much everything he's ever written[*] -- he's useless.

At the end of the day, he's a bullshit artist and not a creative artist. Give the shows to the people he's shepherding through, like Tim Minear or James Wong or whoever. Or, at the very least, give them the credit.

[*}Popular, Glee, American Horror Story, Nip/Tuck, The New Normal, even that cancelled Pretty/Handsome pilot -- like, I'm really not exaggerating here.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

precision posted:

If you never watched Picket Fences you are missing out my dude. It's like... it has the weirdo big cast of a Twin Peaks or Northern Exposure but it tackles more grounded small town issues and oh god it's so good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

whowhatwhere posted:

Surely the TVIV hivemind isn't so narrow as to only be able to come up with nerd shows?!

There's a whole bunch that deal with sexual (or other kinds of) abuse either as a core narrative driver or as a significant part of their show. Mad Men, Six Feet Under, Treme, The Americans, The Shield, The United States Of Tara, Bates Motel... that's just off the top of my head.

That said, not many shows, or even seasons of shows, have been almost entirely defined by sexual or coercive trauma in the way that Jessica Jones' first season was. Even the shows featuring serial rapist villains, like The Magicians or Veronica Mars, generally depict sexual assault as one part of a milieu of dangers that the characters in the show were facing.

I'd also argue that the depiction of Killgrave, the main villain in Jessica Jones, is largely responsible for the show's immediate power and emotional resonances. His superpower -- the ability to command people to do anything he wanted with the power of his voice -- was a really effective way of literalising the feelings of powerlessness and negative compulsion that are true to experience of trauma. I think it's the nerdy science fiction stuff that gives the show a freshness and a power that the other shows might not have, basically.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Into The Badlands has the best action on television, bar none.

That said, there's usually a handful of shows around that compete. A few years back it was Korra, Spartacus, Banshee and Strike Back.

I'm looking forward to the new show the Banshee guys are making. Warrior, with Justin Lin. Hopefully it goes to series.

quote:

Set against the backdrop of San Francisco’s Chinatown in the aftermath of the Civil War, the story follows a young martial arts prodigy, newly arrived from China, who finds himself caught up in the bloody Chinatown Tong wars. Based on original material written by Bruce Lee.

Plus, there's new Strike Back with Warren Brown.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

Just finished Goliath. I enjoyed it and Billy Bob Thorton was great but the writing felt sloppy.

I'm looking at Hand of God next. Is that worth getting into? Someone around here said it's what True Detective Season 2 should have been, which is high praise.

*Or maybe they meant Bosch...

You seen Patriot yet? It's on Amazon if you haven't.

I've only heard bad things about Hand Of God, but the goon who said that thing about True Detective was talking about the second season so hopefully that suggests an improvement.

Mozart In The Jungle is very very good, if you want some fluff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Snak posted:

I liked s1 of 12 Monkeys the first time I watched it, but I may have beem drinking. On a rewatch, it was pretty weak. If it can get its hooks in your brain and get you into the ideas, thinking the premis is interesting, yeha, its great. But the actual plots and the characters are pretty meh. This all kind of picks up by the end if the season and then s2 does a lot of much cooler stuff with the characters.

The second season is a large improvement on the first -- though for a time travel show, it's surprisingly willing to throw logic completely under the bus. It's mostly anchored in character continuity rather than continuity of plot, so that doesn't matter so much. Occasionally you have to really suspend your disbelief though.

On the other hand, the second season has a really good ongoing threat, and the show has some great visual ideas. Some of the supporting characters are pretty good (Jennifer, Jones, Deacon) while most of the leads eventually get to interesting places in the narrative. And the future-set episodes are generally really good.

If you're looking for a time travel show to watch, I'd argue that Continuum is the far better show, though. It had really strong characterisation, great fight choreography, and a really satisfying finale. But I think the show's main strength is how it deliberately sneaks up on the viewer; the first few episodes suggest a very different show from what the show's actually interested in, and a lot of the fun is watching the show tilt from "are they really doing this?" to "my god, they're actually doing this!"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Oh you've just Cross'ed the wrong king of Canadian sci-fi.

But that who he's talking about...

(Also, I recently found that he's Ulysses from New Vegas)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There are some very odd decisions in the finale that left a strange taste in mouth, but I thought Fargo 2 was otherwise decent at worst.

I think the classic case of the sophmore slump, though, is Homeland, though it bounced back eventually.

Edit: I am a dumbshit.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 3, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think it's difficult to compare the sudden drop in quality over the course of a show telling a continuous story, to a show that changes in focus between seasons like Fargo does. I mean, sometimes the comparative quality is obvious (everyone can think of their own examples, mine would be American Horror Story 2 to 3) where it appears clean cut, but I think that often a change in focus and content can lead to a perceived changed in quality. It might not that the different seasons of the show have a lesser quality of craft, it's that they're no longer playing to any one viewer's personal fascinations.

So, for instance, some people think that the second season of Fargo was worse because it lacked Malvo. (Though personally speaking I wasn't fussed too much either way.)

IRQ posted:

This is against the thread rules my dude. As would be me responding to it, even though I REALLY want to.

Bugger. Fair cop, though. Suitably edited, but I'll take whatever comes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gluten Freeman posted:

Plus, as I said, there's some really powerful moments (including one that i think of as The Moment) but I won't go into them because they'd spoil the experience somewhat.

I'm only three episodes in, but if anything can top that amazing therapy session with Celeste and her awful, horrrible, no good husband I'll be impressed.

That poo poo was tense, and moving, and you could totally see why they'd hire an actress of Robin Weiget's calibre to play a completely throwaway supporting role in that scene. Anyone lesser would have been blown off the screen and out to sea.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Renewal news:

Falling Water renewed for a second season, improbably! (Yaay!) New Showrunner! Who did Powers and Falling Skies! (Boo!)

ShutEye renewed for a second season! (Yaay!) New Showrunner! (Boo!) New Showrunner in John Shiban! of Breaking Bad and the good Da Vinci Demons seasons! (Yaay!)

Humans renewed for a third season! (loving A!)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Snak posted:

That's a real mixed bag with Falling Water. The first season was so good!

I think you're literally the only other person I know who watches the show -- I honestly only posted that because I thought you'd see it.

And yeah, I completely agree, though I'm hoping that a second season might be a little pacier? Particularly now all the battle lines have been drawn. I'm all for a slow burning first season, but I think my patience for that kind of thing diminishes the further into the show I get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Squirrel Girl's getting a series, apparently. On Freeform.

(They're the ones who are also doing Cloak and Dagger, which is confirmed to have an initial season order that's ten episodes long. Not clear on whether they can/will extend it like they usually do with their dramas.)

• Locked thread