Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a little surprised to see people celebrating the Red Dragon arc over the Hannibal arc in season 3. While Red Dragon was still strong, there were a lot of confusing production decisions that marred the arc. You had Dolarhyde still working at a film processing facility when he could have just worked for "facebook" (I recall people presupposing he did so from a logo in one of the production stills), TattleCrime inexplicably reverting to paper tabloid status, the comparatively mundane nature of Francis's crimes, among others. I feel it also suffered from many of Red Dragon book's nuances having been plundered to fit into the first 2 1/2 seasons, as well.

Personally, I regard the Hannibal arc as the climax of the show, and Red Dragon as the denouement. In Italy, you had the characters directly confronting the traumas they received, and making their major changes. We had Will embrace mutilation-for-art just as Hannibal explored his empathy, Jack severing all his old relationships and Alana forging a new path, and Mason approaching new levels of codependency and gaucheness. I regard Will's rebuke after the most literal expression of Hannibal's "heroism" as the most important part of the show. As the show stands, I can interpret Will as having finally turned away from his own darkness despite incessant temptation.

Lurdiak posted:

The final scene of Hannibal S3 being a hair away from "gunshot, fade to black" might as well be my review for the show.

Bedelia ate herself out of fear and that's that until season 4 starts filming!

On other notes: As much as I enjoy Man Seeking Woman, I am very displeased with this week's episode for tarnishing my image of Peter Gallagher as the #1 TV Dad. (I was, like, 12 when I watched the OC.)

STAC Goat posted:

But by bailing on the end of S3 I think you miss some key things to hate Piper on like her framing Ruby Rose and getting her sent to max.

Uhh, no, actually eliminating that black hole was the best thing Piper ever did. (Well, after leading to more screentime for Flaca via the panty-selling scheme)

Also also, has any news come out about the renewal of Sweet/Vicious? I adore that first season, and would love to see more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, honestly part of the impetus in including Sweet/Vicious in my post was that Google scrapes these forums for search results so it'll show up. RENEW IT PLEASE!

All I want is three seasons maybe and my fantasy ending of Jules/Ophelia being caught, then vindicated via jury nullification

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Medullah posted:

Mindhunter is the book about the FBI profiler that inspired the character in Silence of the Lambs who's name I can't remember. Wonder if this is based on him too.

John Douglas, who inspired Jack Crawford (Scott Glenn in Silence of the Lambs, Lawrence Fishburne in Hannibal, and Dennis Farina in Manhunter)

I'm excited for this, mainly because the trailer makes it look a lot like a no-artsy Hannibal. Looking forward to Jonathan Groff's best Hugh Dancy impression.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't Daredevil, one of the shows he specifically lauds in comparison, also about a well-off white man who learns generic ninja skills?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's a long time until Mr. Robot returns but Sam Esmail had commented that he likes having long breaks between seasons. While I loved season 2 a lot of people were less hot on it, so giving the crew more time to prepare seems best. Especially if Esmail's doing it all himself again.

Open Source Idiom posted:

To be fair, if they'd cast, say, a Hispanic dude, I think it would have avoided a lot of the critical problems people seem to be having.

It'd still be a lovely show from the sounds of it, but it'd certainly dodge one the biggest criticisms, and contribute to dismantling Marvel's definition of diversity as "black men and white women."

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yet mismanagement has reduced Doctor Who from 13+Christmas to 12+Christmas in recent years, while 13 seems to be becoming the new industry standard in American TV. I think more freedom in episode count would be a good thing creatively (especially for Netflix), though probably even less advantageous for advertisers.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bentacos posted:

Which she learned how to do by escaping from Mickey Rourke's sex dungeon.

Okay, I can't do this anymore. I've never met Mickey Rourke.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's a Channel Four coproduction with AMC. And it's really quite good, despite how terrible that trailer was. (First season finale excluded).

AMC is famously cheap, though. Remember the poo poo they pulled on Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead? That, and the British co-production budgetary shenanigans they're clearly pulling on a number of their shows (Preacher, Into The Badlands, Humans) suggests that they haven't really changed since then.

Thank god Mad Men was both a once-in-a-lifetime collision of talent and almost entirely shot on two or three standing sets.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Please make an American Gods thread! Nobody's posted in the Hannibal thread for months. Also I would like a one-stop shop for gifs of Gillian Anderson's Marilyn Monroe impression.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I've read in a couple places that the show accurately depicts people dealing with grief. Maybe I've been lucky in my life but I found all the characters' behaviour in the first season to be awfully sanctimonious, especially those smug loving Guilty Remnant asses. I genuinely don't understand how they aren't just lynched. I liked the second season a good deal more but didn't finish it either. I plan on trying again once the whole series is over, as I've consistently heard such good things (and do like Christopher Eccleston and the firefighter from season 2).

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
As someone who likes Hbomberguy's previous videos, where are the other threads you mentioned?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
How much is Marc Maron actually in the show? I like Alison Brie and the premise but I really hate Maron.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Don't Trust The B In Apartment 23? It is just one season, though.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

It does have the greatest ten second sequence in television history, though.

It's been a couple years since I watched the show (I thought it was 1 full season as opposed to 2 small ones) but I love how you can really start this gif from any frame.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you enjoyed American Gods watch Hannibal. The same showrunner, same composer, and lots of crew and cast crossover from that show. It's gory, dreadful, confident television with Mads Mikkelsen and the occasional pitchblack joke.

Mad Men is another classic that I don't think has been brought up. It's got a massive cast of deeply flawed, wonderful characters and beautiful costuming and camerawork. It can be a little slow until you're comfortable with the characters though.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
One more recommendation, if you like horror and "so bad it's good," is Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

The premise is it's a British supernatural medical drama from the 80s released in 2004 with commentary from its Stephen King writer/dreamweaver/lead actor and the rest of the cast. It's absolutely hilarious and there are only six 25 minute episodes so it's not a big time commitment at all.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Plinkett is bad and his prostitute raping gimmick easily kills any credibility the body of his reviews could have.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Is this Good Omens?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The common problem that Parks and Rec, Brooklyn 99, and The Good Place all share is that Schur doesn't cameo as Mose Schrute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HorseRenoir posted:

Anyone know if there's any episodes in the new season as good as San Junipero? I like Black Mirror but it's super inconsistent and there's yet to be an entire season I've loved all the way through

There aren't. One or two are close but which ones they are will vary based on your preferences.

• Locked thread