Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

Like, there's a difference between the old "lmao she fat" and the current "she is white privilege feminism/abused her little sister/kinda seems racist" mindsets.

Actually they're both pretty much the same, the latter is just those same people trying to justify being gross internet dudes with a weird obsessive hateboner for a woman by Objectively Proving That She Totally Deserves It. It's like the guys who try to rationalize years of obsessive vocal anger towards Amy Schumer by calling her a plagiarist because she once told a joke about asians having narrow eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Catching up on Leah Remini's Scientology show, the segment about the life of L Ron Hubbard when they show his habit of editing estranged and disgraced former associates out of media and they show the video where editing the man out makes it look like a pile of books start moving across the room of their own accord made me laugh really hard.

https://i.imgur.com/8S3XCBd.mp4

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

mobby_6kl posted:

Pretty big fan of Dick

hehe

quote:

so hopefully it doesn't suck.

hehehehe

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I never thought he'd find a way to top being the man who personally created the Cars series as a labor of love, but here we are.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

feedmyleg posted:

I know tons of people who drink like that all the time :confused:

The only thing better than drinking alone is investing a lot of time and effort into doing it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with watching Better Call Saul without having watched Breaking Bad. You won't pick up on some things or get some of the references but it won't be some inscrutable puzzle.

It's probably not good for your blood pressure to get so mad about tv shows.

Best case scenario with watching BCS before Breaking Bad is that you spoil the latter for yourself even if the former remains unaffected. So many of the beats and reveals and developments of BB would be ruined by going into it already knowing who everyone is and where they're coming from and what they're capable of, and the writing and performances will also suffer if you're seeing them as the cameos and last-minute replacements they were originally written as and not the much deeper and better-understood characters they are at the end of BB and the beginning of BCS.

And I am incredibly mad about this, as evidenced by the fact that I am a person who is disagreeing with you on the internet.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

McSpanky posted:

Their own category of suck, maybe. E: I guess Coneheads was okay too.

Movies by sketch comedy groups are almost always terrible though: Brain Candy was a miserable fiasco, Run Ronnie Run was a turd that broke up the Mr Show crew, Miss March is one of the worst reviewed films of all time, and Mystery Team was really mediocre and gross.

Lonely Island is like the one exception and both Hot Rod and Popstar still underperformed despite being fantastic comedies.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Arist posted:

how did you forget macgruber

Everybody did, sadly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQIXdCQZYP0&t=68s

JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT ME TO FUUUUUUUCK! :cry:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
GOON JUSTICE: The Series is dead. We'll have to wait a little longer for network television to deliver harsh judgements on Pizzagate and Szechuan Sauce.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/wisdom-of-the-crowd-season-1-cbs-1202623826/

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

nate fisher posted:

This seems like such old news given how many people have been accused since I heard about this. Not downplaying it, but man I am starting to forget who abused who at this point.

A part of me can't help but wonder if this is at least partially intentional. Like Fox News glossing over Roy Moore being a serial statutory rapist while acting like Al Franken allegedly fake kissing someone too forcefully during a sketch rehearsal once is exactly the same thing as the decades of sexual assault people like Weinstein and Ratner have been outed for.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

HorseRenoir posted:

no one in America makes animated dramas for adults.

Netflix did several just this year and is actually budgeting for even more in the future because Castlevania and Neo Yokio performed well.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

Same director as Suicide Squad, known Oscar winner.

David Ayer has a weird track record. Even if you give him the benefit of the doubt with Suicide Squad being a victim of executive meddling, End of Watch was fantastic but Sabotage was poop from a butt.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rarity posted:

I finally followed DP's suggestion and watched Detention. What the gently caress did I just see? :psypop:

I told you!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://archive.org/details/Liquid_Television

Archive.org has the entire run of Liquid Television now.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If anything the way that local governments have seen a surge in the election of DSA-endorsed candidates against incumbents and establishment people post-Trump just reinforces the show's theme of public servants trying their best.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

Joining a cult when you're vulnerable and hopeless is one thing.

Doing it when you're rich and famous, especially when the cult is known for destroying the levels of anyone who dares challenge it, is basically joining a plutocratic dictatorship.

Blaming people for falling for a cult is like blaming people for becoming gambling addicts, it's not really their fault that their brains work in a way that can be taken advantage of like that.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Inspector 34 posted:

I also just recently watched Detention this week because of this thread and I'm really surprised this movie hasn't got any kind of real cult following yet. Maybe it's a little too weird or maybe it just hasn't been quite long enough for people to find it. I recommended it to a friend and they asked what it was about. The best I could come up with was a mashup of Donnie Darko, Breakfast Club, and Not Another Teen Movie, except better and weirder.

It feels kind of like Scott Pilgrim for people who were in middle school when the Scott Pilgrim movie actually came out in theaters. Like it's so hip that it was practically dated before it came out which only makes the 90s nostalgia stuff work so much better in contrast, kind of like how the sneering hipness of the Brady Bunch Movie has made the then-contemporary 90s parts just as goofy as the 70s culture it was mocking.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

muscles like this! posted:

FX has announced they're developing a Welcome to Night Vale TV series.

I kind of feel like to be true to the conceit of the podcast they'd have to stage it as something like The Office for the joke to carry over, unless it's just going to be an anthology show that just uses the title or something.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

You could just watch the whole stand up set like it was meant to be seen and not be a baby.

Oswalt's "pee pee doo doo he is a bad president" segments about Bush were consistently the weakest material on his old albums and I somehow you t he's going to do better about someone even more beyond parody and run into the ground. Though it might be better than that awful crusade against "fake nerds" he went on during the Obama years, I guess.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Accelerationism hasn't been working out great.

https://i.imgur.com/IriWZzb.mp4

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Chris James 2 posted:

Cartoon Network in 2017

Cable television is going the way of AM radio.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If you want a memorable Christmas experience watch Pottersville on Netflix. Don't read anything about it beforehand, just...let it wash over you.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

His casting in Gravity Falls was pretty prophetic, I guess.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

Who did be play in that?

He was Wendy's boyfriend, there was an entire episode about him using music with evil backmasking mind control to make her fall in love with him.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
You know, with network TV ratings being in the toilet and social media integration being a big deal I'm surprised nobody has tried to reboot Cadid Camera. It's like the most timeless and inoffensive show premise possible with a budget of nothing, hire me television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pddhxu1Yl2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9M0UcnxMok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekku98Ch7KM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP8V53_YdMI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdd1XK1ZUr4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evIrGzBcJ64

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The first F&F is great just because its a heist movie where the big-ticket items they're stealing are bulky CRTs and DVD players and camcorders.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I've never understood why so many people who love shows like Seinfeld and Always Sunny struggle with accepting that the people on Friends are supposed to be terrible people.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I feel like the current TV landscape where serialization and binge-watching is the norm has kind of poisoned the way that people watch old shows because they start from s1e1 and watch in order and the truth is that a lot of "classic" TV took like two or three seasons to actually get good and since it's episodic you can jump right to the good stuff and miss nothing. Like even fans will admit that Seinfeld is pretty bad until the Chinese restaurant episode or that the first season of The Simpsons is ugly and maudlin and barely resembles the show that everyone actually loves.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

the first episode is a movie-length Star Trek parody :getin:

Well The Orville did a way better job handling a Black Mirror plot (what if Reddit but too much???) than Black Mirror itself so maybe it'll work in reverse.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

swickles posted:

I haven't seen any of Black Mirror, but from what I understand its like a modern Twilight Zone? There isn't any serialization right, so I can just dive in with the new season?

I'd say its more like a modern Outer Limits in that its way more lurid and the social commentary is nowhere near as smart or insightful, but yes to both points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If you have Hulu they put up a documentary about the rise and fall of the Dana Carvey Show called Too Funny to Fail which is really good even if you don't have strong feelings about the show itself just because so many huge, great comedians appear on it. The basic thesis is that they managed to wrangle a supergroup of great comedians and then wound up in the timeslot immediately after Home Improvement which wound up sinking it since it was so edgy and experimental and out there that the family audience had no idea how to react to a show that opened with a multi-breasted Bill Clinton nursing puppies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfDjnAdczQI

• Locked thread