Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

Greetings 2017, sure to be a fantastic year! Right?

Thread Rules.

1 - No Star Trek (Go here)
2 - No Dr. Who (Go here)
3 - No Westworld (Go here)
4 - No Avatar/Korra (Go... somewhere else?)
5 - Here's the IRC link if you want it for some reason - http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23satviv&server=irc.synirc.net

I didn't see no game of throoooooones? :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

That would imply that someone actually wanted to talk about that anymore. Judging how the amount of reports on that thread went from "Nearly every single report" to "Zero" during this year I assume people finally don't care about it anymore.

Oh I managed to rile up the poo poo out of some people tearing it apart last season, but I wouldn't do that to you.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

I ended up watching most of it on Netflix, which is nice since half the swears aren't muted.

Half the fucks weren't muted when it broadcast, although it was completely schizophrenic week to week as to whether they would censor it or let like 4 of them go in a single episode. Literally no rhyme or reason, it wasn't the context as far as I could tell, just entirely arbitrary.

The show ignored a lot about the books too, which was a very good thing since the books are trash and the protagonist (not to mention nearly everyone else) is even more unlikeable in them.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

In the very beginning of the book, Trevor lets you know that his mother eventually gets shot in the back of the head by his stepfather. This is not really every brought up again as he goes through his life because his stepfather enters the picture rather later. At the end, he finally gets to the part where his stepfather shoots his mother. She survives via pretty much "literally miracle" as the bullet enters the back of her head, missing her spinal cord by millimeters, ricochets off her cheekbone and comes out by her nose, leaving her perfectly fine and she gets sent home from the hospital the same day. You really don't get the full effect unless you've gotten to "know" his mother, which is what the book is really about; it's almost entirely about him and his relationship with his mom, and the ending is such a surprise happy one that it made me go whoah.

Actually she was out of the hospital in 3 or 4 days and back to work in 7, which is still loving amazing. Also she got shot in the butt too.

I happened to finish the audiobook this afternoon by sheer happenstance and I would also highly recommend it. I wasn't expecting it to be nearly as good as it was.

Mu Zeta posted:

That sounds good. I thought the whole thing would be about how South Africa sucks.

Oh South Africa most assuredly sucks a giant sack of assholes but it's not really about that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this! posted:

Pretty much, in the books they were college freshmen instead of grad students so it was more sexy teens. Also in the books the college stuff is over before the end of the first novel. Their entire time at school is kind of uneventful and stuff only really pops off once they graduate.

Yeah, I've always referred to it as Jersey Shore: Harry Potter edition. Once they get out of school they get free money because magic and then bum around being depressed sociopaths loving and hurting each other's feelings then they go to not narnia.

Also the show does not do the forums Julia finds the high level magic dudes on justice in how utterly cringeworthy it is. Mu Zeta posted an example of the author's overwrought creative writing 101 prose, it just gets worse than that.

All that being said of the books (I never did get to the last one) I enjoyed the show for what it was.

GreenNight posted:

Also I can look at Alice all day long.

Yeah and that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Is Prison Break coming back? Why is that listed?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

I can tell that it's a slow start, but the first 3 episodes of Person of Interest have been aggressively boring. Without trying to sound like a snobby dick, when does it get good?

2x01.

http://personofinterest.wikia.com/wiki/Bear

e: the more appropriate question is "when does it get bad?" really.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

PriorMarcus posted:

Person of Interest is dire and only gained a following because people were desperate for science fiction TV. Quit now.

I never saw POI as a science fiction show even a tiny bit. It was a procedural, until it tried to be a serial drama and got bad. The Machine was a magic plot device, not scifi.

raditts posted:

I didn't hate the first season as much as you guys seem to. Then again, I also don't break out in hives at the prospect of a procedural TV show.

Yeah basically that. This forum is ridiculous with its hatred of anything remotely procedural. POI was at its best when it was just doing a number of the week while maintaining some continuity and having some recurring characters, eg Elias.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Spergatory posted:

I didn't know it was possible for a person to be this wrong. Every time I look at this post, I see a new level of wrong. It's like a fractal of wrongness.

Go watch Mr Robot again then you pretentious rear end.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pan Dulce posted:

:tviv: I started watching Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I've been missing out on so much. "Settle For Me," made me crack up.

Edit: "I Give Good Parent" is perfect and I wish I had known it before the holidays.

I know right? The show was a very hard sell on me but I'm so glad I gave it a chance last month based on TVIV's endless praise.

I just got to the episode where Rebecca finds out she's broke and I love the show even more because all this time it was a running question as to how the hell she kept that up.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

Just started S2 of Person of Interest. It's officially good now.

Well duh

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MiddleOne posted:

I've defended Sherlock for a long time but man that first episode this year... :negative:

I think I finally said "oh gently caress this" when they revealed how sherlock didn't die. I forget what it was, but I remember it was really stupid.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aphrodite posted:

Are you talking about the second season or did they fake his death again?

Apparently, yeah.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

America's Horror Story is gonna last until at least 2020

I really didn't like it after they made the change to reality show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

What the gently caress this Snicket show is so good

Ok what is up with you guys? What is this show?

I remember a movie of it coming out that looked bad.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TV Zombie posted:

This is a pretty dumb question but for someone whose second language is English, are there any shows that one can watch to listen to some good English pronunciation?

Trailer Park Boys.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ok, so I watched the first episode of Unfortunate Events and, while I'm not going to go on an angry rant like that other dude, that was one of the worst things I've ever had the misfortune to see.

NPH, why?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this! posted:

You're probably just going to have to accept that you're in the minority for this opinion, in this forum at least.

I don't have a problem with that. I bounced off of Stranger Things really hard too and that was a tviv darling. Like I said, I'm going to go on an angry rant like the other poster.

All of the plot and dialog just felt like it was trying so hard. I wrote more but I decided it was getting to be too much; more power to those who enjoy the show, I just don't understand why at all.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

I think my biggest hurdle is that the style of dialogue, especially from the kids, just feels kind of grating over the course of 8 hours instead of 2 like in a Wes Anderson movie.

I almost made the same comparison. I loving hate Wes Anderson movies and I think that might be part of why the show doesn't work for me.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Vanderdeath posted:

It's from the guy behind Better Off Ted so I'm probably gonna watch the entire season off of that pedigree alone.

I'm glad you mentioned that because now I will as well.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Mick is really edging close to It's Always Sunny territory, in a good way. "Cat morphine! You know, morphine but for cats!"

It's remarkable how much they're getting away with- I know this is Fox and all, but there was some dark as hell poo poo in here. It's a good show is what I'm saying.

Yeah it's a good show. I was pretty surprised because the premise kind of sucks but they're going suitably dark with it to make it work.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

Thank you, guys, for getting my rear end on The Mick. I was going to pass after Sepinwall's unenthusiastic review of it, but the first two episodes are great, and the third, "The Buffer," is off the loving rails for a network sitcom. I was won over the minute Mick's skeezy boyfriend started talking about how the age of consent was 16 in Connecticut.

EDIT: The best part is how the two older kids kinda suck in their own ways, so it's kind of satisfying to see them eat poo poo whenever Mick gets involved.

Episode 4 is even better.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Guy Mann posted:

We got an Oliver Stone movie about George W Bush when get was still in office and The Newsroom was only a couple of years behind the real world, no way we're not going to have way too many film and television people tripping over themselves to pee pee doo doo he is a bad president about Trump as soon as possible.

If the trump movie isn't called Orange Dawn I will be really disappointed.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

edit: the clown episode, holy poo poo this episode holy poo poo

Yeah that's when I knew I was really on board with the show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Sully the Spectacular!

I said someone LIKE Sully!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

-Blackadder- posted:

So it seems like over the last few months there's been a metric ton of new original content from Netflix and Amazon to the point that I can't even keep track.

Which ones are worth watching?

I've felt like that for close to a year now.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

I think they're just trying to build up a huge catalog of their own shows so they can stop licensing other stuff. They've already drastically reduced the amount of licensed content they have the last few years. In five years or so I can imagine Netflix being just Netflix original programming.

That would probably get me to cancel my sub since it's so freaking hard to figure out what of their new stuff is worth watching outside the handful I already watch. It's already way harder to find docs I haven't seen on netflix lately.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

Has anyone ever watched WGN's Outsiders? It stars David Morse and Joe Anderson which immediately piques my interest. The premise actually sounds kind of cool but I've never heard anyone say a word about it. I'm guessing like when Manhattan was on WGN most people aren't even aware of it existing.

I saw the first 5 or 6 episodes before it lost me.

You definitely can't think too hard and the plot is about as telegraphed as anything, but there's definitely, as someone mentioned, a real Justified season 2 feel to it. I'd say give it a shot and you'll know whether its for you, but for every Dumb thing like ATV jousting, there's a slog of dumb things that just leave you saying "what?" "why?" and "oh come on."

It's not that it isn't well put together, the atmosphere and acting and all are actually real good, it just lost me with its shortcomings in plot.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm a bit of a new age fuddy duddy when it comes to streaming/phsyical media. I've purged myself of most of my physical stuff, but I'm still a stickler for having a local copy of my media. I can't stand the thought of watching a show and not have it sitting there in Plex as a bit of a memorial in case I ever want to watch it again (which in all reality, I won't). That on top of thought that a streaming service could just stop showing a show/movie makes me uncomfortable.

I'm now on the verge of getting some decent internet in which I'll be able to watch a 720p video (or better!) without having to stop and pause so I'm now weighing up my options for Netflix etc. But now I find myself in another lovely situation. I'm going to be paying more for this internet, and it's going to have a 200GB data cap. This has opened up the possibility of paying for Amazon, Netflix, WWE network, UFC Fightpass, NFL Gamepass, the NHL equivilant, Hulu, Spotify etc which are all things I consume (steal) content from currently.

In summary, I'm going from paying very little for an unlimited but slow as gently caress internet connection and getting all my content for the cost of a VPN service (albeit delayed) to paying more for a capped data connection which now opens up the door for an opportunity to spend about 100 bucks more per month for the legitimate streaming options. I'm so confused!

200 gb would last me about 10 days tops, can you keep the slow unlimited internet?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rocksicles posted:

Incorporated is a good show.

Sy-Fy is going through a renaissance.

It is but running it over the holidays with no break doesn't bode well for a second season.

-Blackadder- posted:

Just watched the trailer, seems like they were going for Gattaca: The Series, looks interesting, I'll check it out.

I mean, the comparisons are inevitable but it's more like a corporate dystopia than a genetic engineering one (although that's of course part of it). It's mythology can be a little fuzzy but overall its compelling.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Killjoys is definitely more like a 90s sci-fi show than most recent stuff in that it doesn't take itself deadly serious all the time.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Academy awards go to movies that are:
1. About Los Angeles
2. About making movies or show business
3. Set in Los Angeles
4. Really make you think
5. About the Holocaust

6. A petty "gently caress You" to better movies/directors

Suck a dick hurt locker.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

Isn't Archie reasonably progressive?

I wouldn't know, though. I just got that impression somewhere.

I think I heard they added some gay stuff in the later years in a desperate attempt to remain relevant, but all I personally know of Archie is that tv has made fun of it for being boring 50s ned flanders-style fare.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

I don't know how they will follow up last season's cliffhanger without making GBS threads the bed. I guess we'll see!

I fell off The 100 when it turned into Clarke and Whoever's apocalypse politics tower hour last season, did it get good again?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

In between fits of blind rage watching CNN this morning I saw that Black Sails comes back tonight, so friendly reminder to set your dvrs.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

That's not a CW thing. That's a TV/Movie thing in general.

Any visual media really. Print, movies, tv, cave paintings.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

Well do you pay your cable company for cable? If not I don't see a problem here.

I think you have it right here, but I have had the baffling situation of having a valid satellite login that pays for alllll the channels and yet whatever website it was didn't want a directv login. I'm sure it's some bullshit contract terms between them but it does happen.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

get that OUT of my face posted:

"Woof woof cowabunga thanks for the blowjob!" The third part of Man Seeking Woman was the highlight of the season so far.

Speaking of dogs and tv, did Downward Dog actually air? That show where the promo made it look like the talking dog and the lady wanted to gently caress?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'm not crazy, at some point this existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE93Fo-xq1A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Medullah posted:

A few years ago he was in a feud with Adam Carolla (might still be, who knows). The podcast where they tried to "settle their differences" was one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever listened to.

Adam Carolla strikes me as a real piece of poo poo so them two feuding is appropriate.

• Locked thread