Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

Santa Clarita Diet rules

"Oh hey this show has Nathan Fillion in it? I thought he was busy with his lovely procedura- ok well there we go."

I could do without the relentless product placement for garbage Indian cars though.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Castle has been over for a while now, Fillion has nothing but free time.

He was on the Nerdest podcast joking around that he is available for jobs.

Huh, I could have sworn it was still going, but it's not like I followed it. In that case I hope he finds something good to be in, I like him in general, just didn't care for Castle.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

First episode was bad. Black guy has drug dealer family and then the teen high school drama that's already insufferable in under 5 seconds. Also the main character has one of the Ron Swanson escape bags and it looks ridiculous. Way to be inconspicuous by carrying around an extreme military looking bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zcI_ObML_g

Jack had his satchel of holding to carry all his truckloads of ammo and/or heroin stash, why shouldn't the new guy?

I haven't seen it yet but I'm about ready for some dumbassed 24 nonsense.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mr Robot was too bleak and oppressive for me, I couldn't keep going.

e: says the guy with the bojack horseman av, i know.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

I got the same survey and after some discussion with the wife realized that our "favorite" channel was FX/FXX. Atlanta, Fargo, Always Sunny, Archer, You're The Worst... they've been killing it.

You should try out Better Things.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

Counterpoint: Lost's ending was always going to alienate one side of the audience, the other half thought and still thinks that is was great. :colbert:

And they will always been wrong because it was hot trash.

Baronash posted:

What's the general consensus on The Magicians? I caught an episode, and it seems like someone really wanted to make an 'edgy' Harry Potter where casting spells is basically over-dramatic gloving.

You pretty much got it. It's trashy but oddly enjoyable.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

LOST ending rules and the only reason the opposite started getting taken as gospel is because Devin Faraci is loud and opinionated as gently caress

Who?

It's a bad episode because it's bad and exactly what everyone knew it would be but they swore up and down it wasn't.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

Lost just became a mess long before the finale. It had raised so many questions with no clear or satisfying answers that that consumed it, and then it became about giving over explanations to those answers that could never be as interesting as the stuff fans had spent years dreaming up (and even if it was, the fans would just say they called it years ago). It just became this muddled mess of using magic to justify whatever thing they wanted to do and the narrative completely fell apart.

But that's not on the finale. Lost was a mess way before then. So if you were super into the final season then you were probably good with it and liked how the finale tied it up and if you hated the final season then the finale was just the inevitable lovely ending for that. It was two different shows for two different audiences, and the problem was just that a bunch of people who were into the first couple of season (myself included) never really accepted that their show had become someone else's show. We can criticize the direction the show took but in complaining about the finale we're really just mad at ourselves for sticking around and hoping it would turn around.

Now BSG? That's just a lovely finale twist.

:)

Agreeing with all of this post right here.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

The only thing good on Spike was all the TNG reruns.

Didn't they also run Bait Car? Bait Car was hilariously stupid.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

Here comes Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Season 3.

The teaser is a Lemonade parody so stay away if that's going to piss you off.

I have no idea what lemonade you're referring to but I'm stoked that kimmy Schmidt is coming back!

When the gently caress is Bojack back?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Man you went right to what I would have. Scrubs could be good when it wanted to be.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

I believe there was some discussion in the last Couch Chat too? I might be imagining this.

There was. I mean it's only 3 episodes so I'm not sure it needs a thread even.

God dang those penguins were badasses.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Looten Plunder posted:

Umm, I have some good news for you.

Son of a bitch!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lycus posted:

Oh, that's what Santa Clarita Diet is about.

Yet another in netflix's continuing line of awful show names that convey little to nothing of what the show is.

Good show though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

For the most part I assume Netflix doesn't see a major need to overly explain its shows since if you're a subscriber you're eventually going to notice the show in the banners or menus.

My problem is that with a lot of those I have no idea what the show is about and they release so many now it's hard to keep up.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Looten Plunder posted:

What are these bad Netlix shows? Whilst not everything is amazing, I'd recommend pretty much everything I've watched.

I don't know, that's kind of the problem.

What percentage of the avalanche of netflix originals have you actually watched is the better question?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Spatula City posted:

Also, Netflix is trying to produce content for, it seems like, every conceivable niche. Some of those niches encompass people with very lousy taste in television. And some of those shows that are agreed to be "bad" are judged so by people who are in no way the show's target audience, like how people savaged Fuller House.

I think their just greenlighting whole shows thing is inadvisable compared to Amazon's cool "pilot season" approach, though.

I didn't watch Fuller House because it sounds like hot trash but on MBMBAM they talked about it some and I will admit that I appreciate the sheer Dumbness of DJ Tanner being resentful that her younger sister became a successful DJ.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Just let me know when they make a new season of Perfect Strangers.

Aaaaand that song is in my head for the rest of the day.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Balki is a syrian refugee who turns out to be related to Trump and has to live with him for some convoluted reason. Starring Alec Baldwin and Sacha Baron Cohen.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hughmoris posted:

How has Black Sails turned out as a show? I watched the first few episodes of the first season and fell out of it. I've heard that it made a big turnaround but I don't want to venture into that thread for fear of spoilers. So, should I give Black Sails another try?

Season 1 was slow and very heavy on build-up and I almost gave up on it, but it finally got going around the end of season 1 and has not stopped being amazing since then.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

OK I just watched the first 3 episodes of new 24 and what the gently caress are you nerds complaining about? This is awesome vintage Dumb as hell 24! I cannot imagine what people are having problems with, CTU still sucks at their job, the new Jack is still a damaged lone badass, it's still vaguely-to-very racist towards muslims, dudes get shot a lot, the plot is stupid as all hell with multiple twists; it's 24 as gently caress!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Speaking of rewatches, I've been throwing on episodes of MacGyver occasionally, man oh man was it a product of its time. I kind of miss this kind of show though. Human Target sort of scratched that itch but we all saw how that went.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bagrada posted:

Anyone watch Designated Survivor? I saw the first 4 or 5, thought it was decent, and forgot all about it during the real election season. I guess it has been off since mid December, coming back on March 8th, which explains why I haven't seen ads or heard about it lately.

I liked it ok but they haven't aired any episodes since early december.

I really hate the family plots though. Oh no teen son is angsty but president bauer loves him and farrrrrrrrrt~

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

gently caress YEAH

I agree with this post.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

It's been renewed through 2019. But it has short seasons so the cast has time to work on movies and TV shows, which is how Charlie Day has been in at least one movie a year for the past five years and how Kaitlyn Olsen has time for The Mick.

THAT'S why she was so familiar! It's been a long time since I watched any always sunny.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fast Luck posted:

I saw a bunch of people praising it in the Always Sunny thread so I tried it. Watched the first six or so and it's okay, not sure if I will keep up.

By the way, did the sister's boyfriend just disappear without comment?

It's fox and a sitcom so there's better than even money they're airing it out of order.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

Haha I went on wiki to check and The Mick hasn't even aired its third episode in production order yet. It goes 1-2-4-7-8-6-5-9-10-11 right now. 3 airs on Tues. guess that means it's crap.

Yeah guess I was right about the order, I wish they wouldn't do that poo poo.

It was REALLY bad on Don't Trust the Bitch in Apt 23.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Well I think I'm done with Fresh Off the Boat, the grandma character keyed a camry that was clearly a late 90s model and this show is supposed to be set in the 80s? Preposterous! MY IMMERSION!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Looten Plunder posted:

You've watched three seasons of Fresh Off the Boat and you think it's set in the 80s?

Did you forget Reebok Pumps, Shaq, the worshipping of 90's rap?

It's supposed to be early 90s MY BAD.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

pentyne posted:

And the Showtime stuff was only a couple episodes with boobs showing in season 1 but cheap as gently caress sets and sfx. Once it went to another network the quality of everything else skyrocketed.

You're out of your mind, the showtime seasons of SG-1 were by far the best of the show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Colony is also a great show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

The book readers makes The Expanse every thread insufferable

Fixed.

Except Game of Thrones, it's the tv watchers that make that trash.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

^^^ sound issues are practically Siffy's trademark, at least lately the commercials aren't 700 times louder than the show like they were 10 years ago.

whowhatwhere posted:

It's the show that makes the threads trash.

I think the show sucks balls too, but I am constantly shouted down for it.

The tower of joy and the loving star wars prequels level poo poo fight choreography, dancing around with dual light sabersswords for no drat reason, jesus tapdancing christ it was so bad.

And that's to say nothing of the actual plot now. :suicide:

IRQ fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 25, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DoggPickle posted:

I'm a dick

Colony remains the most boring thing on television that could possibly have aliens. Christ.. They finally capture one and they start sawing at it's chestplate and can't make any progress? Maybe go for the seems?? You idiots! I think Sara Wayne Callis is maybe some sort of suck factor on any show that she is on - like how much better did Walking dead get after she died? Way Better!

If you're not enjoying it by that point, which is what, mid season 1, then the show isn't for you.

And your opinions are bad and you should feel bad.

MiddleOne posted:

I got three episodes into Girls before I got bored and dropped the show, that's my story.

I made it one episode in out of curiosity as to why everyone seems to have a hateboner for Lena Dunham and didn't find the show offensively bad, but just not really something I cared for at all. My hot take.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lurdiak posted:

Man, X-files, someone who can switch sexes at will is not exactly a spooky or mind-blowing concept.

Maybe I don't remember the early 90s mindset well enough.

Let's just remember that the most positive portrayal of transpeople in the early 90s was Robin Williams with his fake boobs on fire.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'm losing my cable hookup and checking out services, and wow that youtube thing doesn't even make the short list. I can plug channel holes with :filez:, but I do want live CNN.

PS Vue seems like the best, but it runs like absolute loving rear end on PCs, which is kind of how I do my watching. My big fucker desktop runs it fine, but my laptop and the mini pc on my bedroom tv are hitchy as hell. Flash. Flash in 2017? SAD!

But it has a cloud DVR.

If Sling's on demand covers enough I might use it.

The only sport I remotely care about is F1 so that's not a factor.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

$35/month for unlimited cloud DVR for the 4 main nets, FX, FXX, USA, Syfy isn't the worst thing in the world.

Almost nobody gets CBS, they want you to use their own lovely service.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, which is why CBS being included in this could be a big value add for some people.

True.

I wish CBS and Viacom would stop being such cunts about these things. It's not a big deal for me to get their content anyway but I would gladly pay another 5 bucks to psvue or sling or whoever to just have it all in one place. I want to be lazy like I am with my current setup of just having every drat thing.

X-O posted:

If I look at the price of my cable/internet bundle then $35 a month is more than half of what I pay for cable with HBO, Showtime, Starz, and Cinemax. And that gets me all the channels included and excluded from the Youtube thing and all the sports channels and access to stream all the channels anywhere I want at any time. Not to mention all the on demand stuff. That price is horrible.

Whoa, how? The sat tv package I leech is around 200 i think for the 2 DVRs and one other box for every channel under the sun. Comcrap at my apartment(building sadly isn't wired for FiOS) would be like 100 more than my current internet for a low tier package with HD and 1 DVR. $35 is what you'd pay for just those pay channels, what providor do you have?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

I approach Hulu the same way I do Netflix. When there's an exclusive show I want to watch I'll sign up for a month, watch that show and whatever else until the end of that month and then cancel. I imagine they have metrics to show what I initially signed up to view and then they can gauge based on that what shows are getting them money or not. For me it's just a waste to keep subscriptions to either service as I never use them enough to justify paying when there's nothing specific I want to watch.

I use Netflix exactly how they want me to: "gently caress it it's 10 bucks whatever."

I do get pretty consistent use out of it though. Right now I'm watching old episodes of McGyver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

That's a hard show to watch now. You have to be a child of the 80s to deal with it.

I don't disagree, but it helps that I am and that I used to watch it in syndication twice(I think) every day every afternoon on USA. This is fully a nostalgia trip.

The later seasons when it gets all after school special-y, I don't think I could take those.

• Locked thread